• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Larry Centers threatens the Bills again

From what I was just told he did an interview for the Buffalo News after the game and said he needs to sit down with the staff and see if his role in the offense will grow or he'll possibly hang up the cleats.

Last year he pulled the same type of thing with the front office to get an extension with more money. I know he's up there in age and doesn't wanna hang around for nothing. We'll have to see where it goes.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
  • BigDoug
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

Bye Larry. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

• BillsMan80
      Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
      • Jul 2002

He does have a point IMO. Bledsoe instead of trying to force balls to covered WRs should look Larry's way more. Plus, Gilbride didn't utilize him enough this year. There is a reason Centers is the best pass catching back of all-time or right up there. Because he is clutch and gets the job done.
      The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
      THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I don't know how well Centers fits into this offense either but I want to see the unit improve this offseason. With the prospect of losing Price and Riemersma there is going to have to be some major pick-ups who can play to fill those slots. Jay just makes too much for what we need here I feel we would be a better team if we got a good blocking TE who we could throw to in short yardage situations once and a great while. Moore proved he can catch the ball this season but with Price and Riemersma gone we are really going to need a solid threat down the middle of the field or our passing game will be hurting next season.

We will not be able to fully replace Price unless we resign him. I do feel if we take a little downgrade at the receiver position we can get better enough in other areas the unit can still improve. But if Price and Riemersma are gone I'm not so sure we should let Centers go right now too...we're just talking about a lot of weapons going down the road. We also need one or two more offensive lineman to make our running game one where we can count on getting two yards when we really need them. That alone will be a significant upgrade for this unit and could propel us deep into the playoffs. If we aren't going to use Centers in any of these roles I think it's time for him to move on but without Price and Riemersma does Centers become more of a go to guy in some situations? Can we find a tier 2 receiver who is willing to lay it on the line in the middle of the field for the whole season? There's a lot of questions that have to be answered on this offense for the offseason and then there is the defense. Do we transfer some of the dollars on offense to really beef up the defense and maybe have a top ten or even five defense next season? Where will that leave the offense? One thing I know for sure, Centers has good hands.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

The same can be said about Riemersma. The reality is by the time Bledsoe got through the receiver reads he had either delivered the ball or was lying on his arse. Plus Centers just wasn't an option all that much because of the way the offense is set up.

Comment

• Marcos20
            • Oct 2002

I think Crosbby can block better than him , and even Sammi Morris can cath the ball IMHO
            Si me pueden entender:

"Aguante la Bersuit krajo , E-Moulds el WR +kpo

Comment

• clumping platelets

I like Kevin Dyson

Comment

• doug45
                • Jul 2002

Goodby Larry, we can not live with threats all the time.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

i wouldn't mind seeing centers coming back.if we let him go,so be it.
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• clumping platelets

His release saves $1.1 million on the cap. His dead cap would be a palatable $125,000

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                      His release saves $1.1 million on the cap. His dead cap would be a palatable $125,000
                      in that case,get rid of him.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

I don't like the threatening tone Centers is taking, but I still say keep him. He came through with some veteran plays yesterday and throughout the season. And during last year's dismal 3-13 season, he was the only consistent performer on the entire team. With the exception of Moulds, Bledsoe, and Brown, the offense is young and can benefit from experience. Maybe he can teach Henry how to hold the damn ball.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• colin
                          Drew's my hero!
                          • Jul 2002

I don't think his tone is the least bit threatening. He just wants to be a contributer, or retire. That is not a threat.

He is right that an increased role for him would be better for our O, if we can eliminate some bad plays by putting the ball in his hads, we will be much more efficient.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

I agree with Colin on this one.

It takes a ton of preparation to play in the NFL each offseason. He wants to know if all the prep, conditioning, and hard work will all be for naught.

Why go through that just to ride the pine? He's not asking to take away Henry's carries or snaps. But he's probably wondering what we have all season, where did the screens, dump offs, and a mix of short passing go with the long stuff?

He's not saying " play me or trade me". He's asking "Will it be worth the effort?"

Shannon Sharpe is asking the Broncos the same thing.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Look how many catches he had last year, he was always the go to guy when the offense needed a play. He is well worth keeping if KG would use him. I didn't take his words as threatening either. KG has to (if he is still around) utilize what he has. Time and time again Drew had Either centers or Henry open to use as an outlet but his reads were too slow and either threw an inc., an int., or got sacked. Larry could have easily 50 catches this year if he was looked to. It makes me think if he was ignored on purpose.
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X