PDA

View Full Version : Is McGahee cocky?

ghz in pittsburgh
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/08/02/q.a.mcgahee/

JP may draw attention to himself by different stories, although he seems to know that nothing is bigger than playing well in actual games, McGahee is straight to the point: "you just wait and see." Not much other stuff, even though he could have a long story to tell from his devastating injury - I actually never heard him talking about it or rehab by himself - but he carries an attitude of everything he accomplished so far is really nothing; bigger better things are well ahead. In fact he wants to be the best, "old and young."

Of course he'd like to be shown the money as well. I suspect it will have to match his performance of the best, "old and young."

Pride
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I saw him on an interview on the Best Damn Sports Show down in Florida.

He was REALLY cocky... but ya know what? I think cockiness (as long as it doesnt spill over to the off the field problems) is fine with me. In fact, I think it is something we've been missing since the early 90's. In fact, I think Thurman was VERY cocky as well... wasnt he?

Like I said, as long as he keeps it on the field (unlike TO), I am fine with it!

Static
08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Um......Yes......but so is 90% of the league

Jan Reimers
08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
I saw him on an interview on the Best Damn Sports Show down in Florida.

He was REALLY cocky... but ya know what? I think cockiness (as long as it doesnt spill over to the off the field problems) is fine with me. In fact, I think it is something we've been missing since the early 90's. In fact, I think Thurman was VERY cocky as well... wasnt he?

Like I said, as long as he keeps it on the field (unlike TO), I am fine with it!
Jim Kelly was cocky, too, and he and Thurman made quite a pair. I hope we get the same results from JP and Willis.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm not saying I have a problem with that. Based on his performance last year, I have every reason to believe that he will back it up on the field.

JP is another story though ...

Jan Reimers
08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying I have a problem with that. Based on his performance last year, I have every reason to believe that he will back it up on the field.

JP is another story though ...
An NFL QB has to be cocky, or in all probability he will not succeed.

justasportsfan
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Good. It's what kept him going after an injury that would've broken any other players will to succeed and rehab faster than anyone ever expected. I hope he never doubts himself. Besdies, what he said was nothing compared to all the smack that Thurman would throw around to media.

Konyeezie
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Why is cocnkiness considered a bad thing in our society?

As long as people are not a dick about it it won't hurt anyone. Confidence is perhaps more important than even speed and strength when it comes to success in the league. You need to have an attitude to play this game.

Shasta McNasty
08-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Did Rose Kennedy have a black dress?

Ed
08-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Some people might get rubbed the wrong way by things McGahee says, but it's kind of nice to see that super confident attitude in some of our players, especially one as important as McGahee. I know there are a lot of players that put up great numbers and work hard, but McGahee just seems to bring something extra with his attitude that just makes me feel like we're always going to be good as long as he's carrying the ball. I love that he expects to be the best because he always seems to back up everything he says. He reminds me of an undefeated champion fighter that just refuses to lose.

mysticsoto
08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
The difference to me between cockiness and confidence is whether you can backup what you say or not. And quite frankly, I think both WM and JP can both backup their talk...

FlyingDutchman
08-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Why is cocnkiness considered a bad thing in our society?

As long as people are not a dick about it it won't hurt anyone. Confidence is perhaps more important than even speed and strength when it comes to success in the league. You need to have an attitude to play this game.Couldnt agree more....People mistake confidence for cockiness....You need to have confidence is sports, in fact, I think it's the most important thing. If you have a great player whos head isnt there, their performance is dramatically worse...I played D1 lacrosse, and my freshman year there were fellow freshman dropping the ball and making stupid mistakes that most high schoolers wouldnt make. It was hard to believe these kids could come to a D1 school and not catch a ball, it was all in their confidence. You gotta realize that you belong and are just as good as anybody to ever play at the top. When you believe in your abilities, you demand perfection of yourself......Besides Mcgahee is God, he can be as cocky as he likes.....

Bill Brasky
08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Why is cocnkiness considered a bad thing

I'd say because of his A)Agent, B)Ability, and C)Fanfair.... all of those things make him perfect trade, or hold-out,bait after a breakout season.

That's the only problem I have with it.

There's a big difference between WM's cockiness and the kind that Kelly and Thurman displayed. They also didn't play in an era full of greedy owners, greedy agents, and greedy players, all which got us to the "I want a new deal or I'm holding out and crying like a 5 year old" era, and the Free Agency-happy era.

ublinkwescore
08-02-2005, 07:11 PM
I used to be a competitor in the MLKS (the logo in your sig Jfreeman)

Tinboy
08-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Well he's got the skills to back it up so why not? It's good too see that we have a RB that have the confidence to go out there and pound the D.

vicmantak
08-03-2005, 04:56 AM
cocky: adj. too confident about yourself and your abilities, especially in a way that ANNOYS other people.

confident: adj. sure that you can do something or deal with a situation successfully

egotism: n. the belief that you are much better or more important than other people, or behavior that shows this

self-centered: adj. interested only in yourself and not really caring what is happening to other people

selfish: adj. caring only about yourself and not about other people (Bills?)

vanity: n. too much pride in yourself, so that you are always thinking about yourself and your appearance

ungrateful: adj. not expressing thanks for something that someone has given to you or done for you

Longman American Dictionary.

taylorj99
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah he's cocky, but for good reason. He's gonna explode this year. Not to mention that most UM runningbacks are pretty cocky. Remember Portis and the championship belt when he had 215 yds and 5 tds against the Chiefs? Now that's cocky.

pmoon6
08-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Jim Kelly was cocky, too, and he and Thurman made quite a pair. I hope we get the same results from JP and Willis.Kelly was cocky even after he retired. I took a football to a card show for my former boss so Jimbo could sign it. He already had Thurman's autograph on the ball. My boss wanted Kelly to sign his name BELOW Thurman's. He said "What's this ****" I told him it wasn't mine and this is where he wanted you to sign. He did it but he was none too happy.

dannyek71
08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
is oprah fat?

Konyeezie
08-04-2005, 10:12 PM
So, how is he cocky anyway?

I've yet to see an example of how he is.

and moon, i agree on jimbo... i've had some experiences as well.

Bert102176
08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
being cocky is something the Bills need

Indy Bills Fan
08-05-2005, 12:23 AM
No cockiness=RJ

Gotta have it or your toast in the NFL.