PDA

View Full Version : Deion Sanders Says He Failed Steroid Test

indianabillsfan
08-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I just saw Deion Sanders on NFL Network Total Access saying he failed a steroid test last year because he used a banned substance to treat an ankle injury. There is also an article on espn.com's NFL page. A Ravens official said it was because of a missed test. What do you guys think ?

footballhottie
08-02-2005, 09:24 PM
i wish they would stop testing for roids....let them do what they want.

OpIv37
08-02-2005, 09:27 PM

I disagree. It's no big secret that a lot of them juice, but there's some who don't. If you let them use steroids, it will very quickly reach a point where you can't even make it to the NFL without them. Steroids have a lot of negative side effects and can be very dangerous long-term, plus it's not exactly behavior that pop-warner and HS football players should be emulating.

IMO steroids are cheating. If you can't perform at a pro level without juicing, you don't deserve to be there.

footballhottie
08-02-2005, 09:28 PM
but my idol uses them....i have to say there ok lol its my job being his number one fan

Captain Obvious
08-02-2005, 09:30 PM
but my idol uses them....i have to say there ok lol its my job being his number one fan
Josh Stamer told you himself he uses steroids?

FlyingDutchman
08-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I disagree. It's no big secret that a lot of them juice, but there's some who don't. If you let them use steroids, it will very quickly reach a point where you can't even make it to the NFL without them. Steroids have a lot of negative side effects and can be very dangerous long-term, plus it's not exactly behavior that pop-warner and HS football players should be emulating.

IMO steroids are cheating. If you can't perform at a pro level without juicing, you don't deserve to be there.
agreed...look how its destroyed baseball, most of the modern records and hall of famers should have a * next to them....its freakin cheating...

RedEyE
Deion Sanders is the most overated piece of garbage in the NFL.

footballhottie
number 1 who says he my fav football player...im yet to go public with that information....number 2 i work in a hospital i see guys like that all the time and they all use roids....i guess maybe he just works very hard and i hope he does but maybe he got some helo i duhno....he just seems really big

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Roids are not a recreational drug. They give athletes an unfair advantage and absolutely must be banned.

footballhottie
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
:down:

capitolneal
08-02-2005, 11:18 PM

I just saw a special on HBO and there is NO hard evidence that steroids dimish health they have alot of conjecture but thats it they had this 70 yr old juicer and hell he looked good but thwy also said under doc. supervision

PhinFan99
08-03-2005, 12:01 AM
last time deion will tell the media anything obviously. This was not released to the public when it happend because they found out he didnt use steroids! When your ankle is broken you usually are prescribed something that has hormones in it, and it could trigger testing positive for "steroids". Now i log on espn and see

"Deion Sanders admits testing positive for steroids"

they twist everyones words around, no wonder why everyone hates them

Throne Logic
08-03-2005, 12:36 AM
I just saw a special on HBO and there is NO hard evidence that steroids dimish health they have alot of conjecture but thats it they had this 70 yr old juicer and hell he looked good but thwy also said under doc. supervision

Man, I wasn't going to get into this, but you sucked me in with his horsecrap.

If HBO actually ran a bit that proclaimed anything other than long term steroid use is bad, then whomever approved that programming is a flat out dumb@$$.

Do some research on your own. Pay particular attention to the effects on the heart. The problem is that, as humans, we tend to be very short-sighted. The effects that surface in 15 to 20 years mean very little compared to the here and now. Unfortunately, we're going to learn the hard way as more retired pro atheletes die from heart attacks in their 40's and 50's. Yup, there will be those who "get away with it". Not everyone loses in Russian Roulette, either.

And for all of you who don't consider steroids cheating, why is putting a performance enhancing foreign substance in your body really all that different from putting a performance enhancing foreign substance in or on another tool in the game, such as cork in a bat or stick-em on the gloves? The body is just a another tool of the game.

If you send the message to professionals that it's OK to use performance enhancing steroids, then you're sending that same message to all the kids who idolize them.

As for Deon? There are a number of steroids used in the medical field for very legitimate reasons, i.e. anti-inflammatories. I'd assume that anything from prednisone to hydrocortisone (or anything else ending in "sone") could easily lead to a failed test.

Uhg. Off the soap box.

'night all

Tinboy
08-03-2005, 12:55 AM

:blowup:

The_Philster
08-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Roids are not a recreational drug. They give athletes an unfair advantage and absolutely must be banned.:10: Players can get just as much muscle the regular way, anyway...just a question of dedication vs the easy way out

mysticsoto
08-03-2005, 05:02 AM

Aren't you a pre-med student? I'm very surprised to hear anyone say something like this...besides it being cheating, the long term health effects can be disastrous.

Besides, do you really want Stamer with a tiny stump? :D:

Gunzlingr
08-03-2005, 06:02 AM
FBH told me Mark Gastineau was her idol because she likes it rough.

indianabillsfan
08-03-2005, 06:12 AM
last time deion will tell the media anything obviously. This was not released to the public when it happend because they found out he didnt use steroids! When your ankle is broken you usually are prescribed something that has hormones in it, and it could trigger testing positive for "steroids". Now i log on espn and see

"Deion Sanders admits testing positive for steroids"

they twist everyones words around, no wonder why everyone hates them

I don't see how this is a case of the media twisting words around. Deion Sanders was at a press conference after Ravens practice yesterday and was asked about Rafael Palmeiro. He then said "I tested positive for steroids last year after I had an ankle injury." It was apparently related to a substance that was used to help heal the injury. Deion also said he was then tested every week for the rest of the season last year. A Ravens official then said he was tested every week because he did not show up for an earlier test and they had no knowledge of a failed test by Deion.

I don't see how this is twisting words when Deion himself said on T.V. at a press conference that he had a positive test for steroids. If anything, he is confused about the chain of events last year or the Ravens front office is confused.

indianabillsfan
08-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Watch NFL Network Total Access and you will see the video with Deion from the press conference. It re-runs all morning about 6 times. It is their lead story.

Jan Reimers
08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Those 'roids really beefed Deion up, didn't they? The guy's a monster.

indianabillsfan
08-03-2005, 06:23 AM
I would like to point out that I am not trying to say that Deion is guilty of using steroids. Maybe he didn't and he was just misinformed about what exactly happened with his test last year.

I'm just saying that when an NFL player, especially one of Deion's caliber and notoriety, goes on T.V. and says he tested positive for steroids, that's big news ! At that time, the Ravens front office had not made a comment because no one expected Deion to say that at a press conference. It was shocking and surprising to everyone who heard it.

indianabillsfan
08-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Those 'roids really beefed Deion up, didn't they? The guy's a monster.

Don't mess with his ankle, though ! He has the ankle of a Sumo wrestler. He could karate kick you into next week ! :injured: :sumo: :D:

pmoon6
08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
As for Deon? There are a number of steroids used in the medical field for very legitimate reasons, i.e. anti-inflammatories. I'd assume that anything from prednisone to hydrocortisone (or anything else ending in "sone") could easily lead to a failed test. Those are a different kind of steroid. The tests are for anabolic steroids, which help build muscle. Cortisone and prednisone are corticosteroids which, as you say, ease inflammation. They will not show up on a drug test.

footballhottie
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Aren't you a pre-med student? I'm very surprised to hear anyone say something like this...besides it being cheating, the long term health effects can be disastrous.

Besides, do you really want Stamer with a tiny stump? :D: lol you guys know im just joking right....roids are very bad for you. and it is cheating, but i just hope he dosnt get caught if he does do them :couch:
FBH told me Mark Gastineau was her idol because she likes it rough. :D:

pmoon6
08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I just saw a special on HBO and there is NO hard evidence that steroids dimish health they have alot of conjecture but thats it they had this 70 yr old juicer and hell he looked good but thwy also said under doc. supervision You're correct to a certain extent. If someone does a couple of 8 week cycles a year, the health risks are minimal. It also depends on what steroid is used and at what dosage. Testosterone, Deca Durabolin, and Primabolin are considered mild. Dianabol and other steroids that are alkylated are very harsh on your liver.

Health risks are dramatically increased when guys get on and stay on. Compounding the problem is when athletes start using other enhancement drugs like HGH, Insulin, and Thyroid medications. Another problem is in the contact sports. You can build alot of muscle bulk, but your ligaments don't grow along with the muscle, putting more stress on them and increasing the likelyhood of injury (i.e. David Boston)

Someone touched on it, but the real danger is when teenagers start using. They really don't need to because they are at their peak in terms of testosterone production, so the benefits are minimal and the risks are great.

pmoon6
08-03-2005, 05:53 PM
No comment? I guess most of you are like the numerous sportswriters commenting on Palmiero today. You have your opinion, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Where is the chick with extensive medical training, but lacks in English skills? I'm sure she could tell what steroids do to the body and why athletes would risk their health by using them.

Dr. Lecter
08-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Some people might laugh at this reference but it is valid.

A very high number of pro wrestlers have died in their 30's, 40's and 50's, Most, if not all, of these guys have had very enlarged hearts and were know steroid abusers. People such as Rick Rude, Davey "British Bulldog" Smith, Curt Hennig, Louie Spicolli, Brian Pillman, Chris Candido, Mike "Road Warrior Hawk" Hegstrand and others have died and autopsies have revealed huge hearts, that were much too big. Some of these guys died after abusing other drugs, but a common theme was the enlarged heart.

pmoon6
08-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Some people might laugh at this reference but it is valid.

A very high number of pro wrestlers have died in their 30's, 40's and 50's, Most, if not all, of these guys have had very enlarged hearts and were know steroid abusers. People such as Rick Rude, Davey "British Bulldog" Smith, Curt Hennig, Louie Spicolli, Brian Pillman, Chris Candido, Mike "Road Warrior Hawk" Hegstrand and others have died and autopsies have revealed huge hearts, that were much too big. Some of these guys died after abusing other drugs, but a common theme was the enlarged heart. The heart is just a muscle and long term use/abuse will cause it to grow just like the rest of your muscles. Bodybuilders and wrestlers seem to be the biggest abusers, none of them can ever be big enough. In the mid '90's, a bodybuilder named Andreas Munzer died on a plane flight from New York to Paris. His heart exploded and he drowned in his own blood. I'm suprised you haven't seen more of this in bodybuilding world. Steroids are just like any other drug, when they are abused health problems occur, if they are used moderately you don't have much to worry about.

Bill Brasky
08-04-2005, 12:37 PM
what a surprise. you're about a million miles in the wrong direction on this one.