PDA

View Full Version : 3 things we need to do this offseason

BufBlue4ever60
12-30-2002, 10:50 AM
1. Release Chris Watson, Eddie Robinson, Jay Riemersma. These players are no longer capable of being starters. Cutting them will free about 4.5 Million of cap space, allowing us to..

2. Resign Peerless Price. At first, I thought this might not be a good idea. He would ask for a lot of money, and Josh Reeds talent would never be utlized. But having Price and Moulds would give Bledsoe good seasons for years to come

3. Sign a top DE in Free agency. This is Hugh Douglas. Dont draft a DE in the draft because they take 2 years to develop.

ublinkwescore
12-30-2002, 10:53 AM
I totally agree.

We also need to bring in a DT (Bryant Young/Cory Simon hopefully), and a LB = Spikes.

JefftheBillsfan
12-30-2002, 10:59 AM
I dont really think DE is that big of a need. The trio of Shobel/Jones/Ahonotu seems awfully sufficient. You gotta think Denney i going to get better, and Office/Irons are decent. The only DE I would consider signing is Bruce. Heres what I would do, in no particular order:

1) get spikes, some how, some way
2) let price go as well as some of our useless players
3) sign a vet WR to replace PP for a year or 2 before Reed is ready
4) Sign the best value @ DT
5) Draft a good cover FS, first year he will come in on nickel and dimes, and eventually replace PP.

venis2k1
12-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Our needs at DT and LB are much bigger than our needs at DE, depending on how long it takes Jones to recover. I could live with Schobel and Ahanatu starting for a few weeks if Jones needs it to get better.

Akhippo
12-30-2002, 11:31 AM
This is how I see the off season needing to go.

1. Get Spikes, but not if hes franchised. Hes good, but not worth the picks given up.

2. Grab a DT. Cap casualties or free agents, the Raiders or Broncos should be cutting D lineman.

3. Sign a speed WR. I think L Coles is availble, and would be a perfect fit.

4. Draft a FS and O lineman, if best available. Pick up a TE also.

5. Pick up Dick Lebeau. Install his 3 - 4 defense. At least his defenses have been known to be successful

Dozerdog
12-30-2002, 11:54 AM
1) Spikes / Colvin (both would be great but there are 31 other teams)

2) DL help. Corey Simon would be nice but too expensive. I would reconsider if we don't get either of the two above. Brandon Noble from Dallas is an option. Bruce would be a nice touch, but ONLY as frosting onn the cake. Don't waste cap space.

3) Draft- Draft for need not addressed in FA and go after depth/speed. LB, FS/SS WR (if Price is gone), OL depth, RB depth.

4) Resign Price if the funds are still available after points # 1-3 are addressed

Dozerdog
12-30-2002, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, this pie in the sky move (won't happen but what the heck)

Pick up Tom Coughlin when the Jags fire him to replace GW. GW is OK, but Coughlin is better. If that happened, you would neeed to replace Hollis. Hollis was run out of Jax by Coughlin last season.

HenryRules
12-30-2002, 01:17 PM
My priorities ...
1) Re-sign Hollis (I think he's a FA and the difference between him and those that came before him was extraordinary).
2) Sign a big-play defender at either DT or OLB ... since they're aren't really any great DTs avail. right now, I say get Colvin.
3) Re-sign Peerless or get someone that is no worse than Kevin Dyson to replace him. If we don't get Peerless, then sign another big-play guy at DT or OLB.
4) Sign a competent DT or OLB (whichever one wasn't addressed through #2 or #3).
5) Draft with an emphasis on special teams (maybe a receiver or corner who can return in the later rounds) and depth. In rounds 4-6, make sure to pick up a good QB prospect (Dorsey if he lasts that long).
6) Not really offseason, but for during the season ... have no indecision on the coaching staff. Once they have done enough to establish they should be extended (way too far in advance to say what that has to be), extend the contracts. If they do enough to deserve to be fired (again, too far in advance to say specifically), fire them.

IMO, the little things aren't really what hurt us this year ... it was the failure to make big plays at key times. Filling holes (i.e. WR, DT, or LB) with competent but not big-play players will not help us, in fact it will move us backwards.

DraftBoy
12-30-2002, 03:24 PM
#1-Resign Peerless
#2-Sign Colvin
#3-Draft Boss Bailey/Dj Williams
#4-Draft a good FS
#5-pickup some cap casulty DT

HenryRules
12-30-2002, 03:27 PM
I hope we don't play the "wait for a cap casualty" game again. Last year we tried it at DT and no one of any significance was ever cut. For a team near the cap, like we were last year, it can be a good strategy. For a team with lots of room, we're more likely to miss out on someone and being left with no one to spend money on.

timfromjersey
12-30-2002, 04:04 PM
I agree with BB4e60. First order of business, get rid of Watson. He is a bane to my existance. Riemersma too. If he's not productive catching passes, he's useless. Robinson can stay but not start.

I have alway been a firm believer in adressing the needs of the line first. highest priority to DT and DE. DT will probably be easier to adress in draft. Anybody up on what quality DT's will be in draft this year? Dominate Ends won't make it to our draft pos.
Also, you have to have depth, depth, depth in this area.

Then we need best pass catching TE we can draft. With the season Shockey had, don't tell me a TE can't contribute his first year.

Then adress your needs for linebacker and secondary in that order.

Someone mentioned L Coles. Is he a FA next year? No way he leaves Jets with Pennington at helm. He will give Coles one hell of a career, if he stays.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Remember we still have Greg Favors. He could replace Eddie Robinson. TD wont get anyone high priced. Hugh Douglas,Takeo Spikes will be to high. Hugh Douglas will be re-signed by the Eagles.

TD will probably offer Price a contract. Then let Price decide whether he stays or not. TD doesnt like handing out money. So he will go after 1 top player then some quality players at low cost.

IMO id rather have Colvin than Spikes..

iceblizzard69
12-31-2002, 10:40 AM
I seriously doubt Hugh Douglas will leave Philadelphia. They are a Super Bowl contender, and they have a lot of cap room in Philly. He isn't going anywhere.

HenryRules
12-31-2002, 10:43 AM
I'd be suprised if we could find the money for Douglas, already having Jones, Schoebel, Denney coming up and probably Ahanotu yet not find the money for Price, who will be cheaper and has been successful with us, when we only have Moulds and Reed and no one really.