PDA

View Full Version : Billszone Training Camp Report: August 3, 2005

mysticsoto
08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
I left Mikey my cell phone and he didn't call me, so I didn't hook up with him while I was there. But here are some observations I made. I didn't have a camera or videocam, so I can't give you any eye candy, but I made it a point to take notes to share with everyone:

I thought the RBs were tremendous. Lee was much better than I thought he would be. He catches very well, runs hard and strong, is definitely not slow, cuts quickly etc. He also impressed me with his blocking ability. In one of the drills the LBs had to go through a blocker to get to the QB position. Lee did not allow any LB through him. Even his body language said you weren't going to get through him! They worked the LBs also in blocking. Campbell looked solid and strong. If you were worried about our TE situation, worry no more. Campbell has apparently made a full recovery as has Euhus. They were both blocking full force, running hard, catching balls, etc. Neufeld looked good in blocking also.

As for passing, I know they are veterans, but Moulds and Evans appeared to have suction cups in their hands! Campbell and Euhus were solid at catching and suprisingly, Cieslak made some pretty good catches also. Jon Goldberry struggled quite a bit catching passes as did Haddad who dropped a couple. Another fan close to me mentioned that Haddad has been dropping a few these past couple of days. I doubt he will be here after the 1st cut. Burns also stuggled with catches.

Losman was off a bit on some of his throws and even underthrew a few. But I did like that when the 2nd and 3rd string QBs came in to work with the groups, he wasn't satisfied and began throwing to McGahee on the side. While he's not completely solid at the passes yet, I like that he has the determination to succeed. He missed Reed alot and it's like he and Reed were off by a bit. I wonder if he has gotten used to Evans and Parrish's speed...he seems to lead Reed a bit too much. Holcomb was solid, accurate and crisp in his passes. He is also more mobile than I thought. While he strictly stays in his pocket most of the time, during a redzone drill against the defense he was forced out of the pocket and eluded a defender well and ran it in toward a corner of the endzone. He surprised me...I was thinking he was just as slow as DB but he's not.

Overall the offense tended to look bad when they tried to pass too much. When they went to the run, they looked solid. I guess that should not be surprising considering we are a run 1st team. But they are trying alot of the other WRs also which may account for my observation. As I mentioned before...Moulds and Evans had suction cups and caught everything that came their way. As did Campbell and Euhus. I am also trying to keep in mind that we have a great defense and they can make any offense look bad. I felt the defense got the best of the offense most of the time.

Now...on to the line. My worries are alot lower now. I saw Gandy play and didn't think he was bad at all. He was fast, big, strong and in the defenders' face in every play. I also noticed the Bills playing with some traps calls. In a few instances, Gandy would pull toward the right and Euhus (playing TE next to him) would end up blocking Schobel or whoever was at the position (Gause played it from time to time). This was usually when the play was going the other way, although they did do a fake and roll JP out to the left after the fake - it worked okay, but these freaking LBs are fast and recovered quicky and didn't give JP much of a run. :) Still, it might have worked for a huge gain against another team. Bennie Anderson was solid. Nobody got through or by him that I noticed. He is humongous. In fact, when I 1st walked in to TC, he was sideways to me and I couldn't see his numbers well. I thought he was MW. Speaking of MW...I never thought I would use his name and the word "slim" in the same sentence. I can't believe how much thinner he looks. Of all years, this has got to be his breakout year. He looks big and trim much like my favorite hopeful-to-be-developed Jason Peters. I really must be honest in saying Peters wasn't where I was hoping he'd be. He has improved and can handle backup DEs with ease. But against a premier DE like Schobel, he does struggle. If I were to guess at the problem I would say that he tries to lay a pop on a player as soon as contact is made (with his hands). A LB (when he played TE) would get leveled, but a DE is going to be able to take alot more. A good DE will use the pop he gives to get space and will then run around him. I think he needs to be more like Gandy and engage at the spot and keep them there. I'm sure McNally will continue to work on him.

On to the middle of the line...Teague played and snapped fine today. However, his successor to be had a horrible day. Preston was outmatched all day long by virtually everyone they put in front of him. The play of the day was when the O-line 1st started doing drills against DTs. Sam Adams anticipated the snap, jumped in-between Duke and the lineman next to him and was literally in the QB's face before Duke had even moved. It was very impressive and not so much a knock on Duke as a fantastic defiance of gravity and how Adam's body can move that quickly despite being so big. For the next several plays, Adam took Duke to school and in one play, Adams literally man-handled Duke where he pretty much slammed him to the ground. Adams was taken out after that - not as a reprimand, but b'cse it was clear that there was no point to continue. Adams had way outclassed him to the point that there was no need to see anymore...instead they rested him and put in a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Kudos to Sam for the fantastic domination!!!

I didn't get to see much on Parrish. He didn't get many calls to him outside of drills and when he did, the ball wasn't very well thrown to him. So I can't really comment on anything positive or negative about him.

I was mostly looking at the offense to see where we stood, so I didn't get to look at the defense much. That being said, I can tell you that when the 1st string offense played the 1st string defense on some Red Zone drills, the defense got a serious look on their face and fully intended not to let them score. Kelsay made a terrific play to break into the pocket and disrupt the play being developed. And the defensive players that were on the line watching began to cheer and chant loudly - pumping up the defense on the field. It was spectacular and reminded me alot of Baltimore's D. They were swarming all over the offense! I'd say this unit has the best cohesion on our team and I wouldn't be surprised if this year they do enough to get noticed as an elite D. Despite already being good and at the top of the stats, they are not satisfied and exude hunger. I was very impressed with them. By the way, the offense did end up scoring when they finally went to McGahee with a run up the middle. Although the defense felt they stopped him just before the line to the endzone, the ref ruled it a touchdown. The defense laughed and semi kidded about them not being able to do a *real* tackle, or Willis wouldn't have scored - That's how intense they were about not allowing scores!

That's about all the notes I took and all I can remember. These are my observations and my opinions...sorry for such a long post, but I felt since I can't provide pictures or videos, I can atleast be descriptive of what I saw.

John Doe
08-03-2005, 08:24 PM
That's about all the notes I took and all I can remember. These are my observations and my opinions...sorry for such a long post, but I felt since I can't provide pictures or videos, I can atleast be descriptive of what I saw.

Hey man, don't aplolgize - post longer the next time.

Great job!

camelcowboy
08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Great report, thanks for the read

ddaryl
08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Nice read... thanks

PISSCHUNK
08-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Very well done!! Enjoy anything I can get down here. Curious though about Preston, someone somewhere else was saying he was a "gem" and has played well. Was he only overmatched by Sam or by everyone that lined up against him?

Thanks Again! :goodpost:

Late

Bulldog
08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks! Good report!

hydro014
08-03-2005, 08:58 PM
well done, the more info the better.

:bf1:

FlyingDutchman
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Ryan Lindell looked very good today as well. He was consistantly hitting from 43 yards and they probably would have been good from 60!

chubluv
08-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Great report!!! thanks for the notes :up:

Tatonka
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
more... More... MORE!!!!

TigerJ
08-03-2005, 10:15 PM
There is no such thing as a post that's too long when it has eyewitness stuff on training camp. Great work!

BillsOwnAll
08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
haha post longer dont worry....i get upset when i get done reading cuase im so exciteid haha.. gimmie someting to read till sept 11th comes around.

AWEOSME post.

Tinboy
08-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Nice job!

Michael82
08-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Awesome job, man! :hail:

I'm sorry I didn't meet you. I didn't get out there today. I had a doctor's appointment and a few other things to do, that I didn't make it. It's nice to know that there are other Zoners who can make up for it when I'm not there. :up:

juice
08-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Good Job..

Were they in full gear Aug. 3?

Jan Reimers
08-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Great job! I'm glad Gandy is looking good.

The_Philster
08-04-2005, 05:11 AM
Awesome job, man! :hail:I'm sorry I didn't meet you. I didn't get out there today. I had a doctor's appointment and a few other things to do, that I didn't make it. It's nice to know that there are other Zoners who can make up for it when I'm not there. :up::jawdrop: :wtf:

Michael82
08-04-2005, 05:22 AM
Good Job..

Not in the morning. They only wore the shoulder pads and shorts.

ryjam282
08-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Excellent job. Thanks for the notes. We all really do appreciate it. I am sure some of us are mad that it wasn't long enough.

Tatonka
08-04-2005, 07:41 AM
mikey.. quite going to the doctor and get to camp.. damn.

:shakeno:

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Much better job than :fat:

I like the fact that they are trying to trap. Trap blocking is becoming a lost art.

madness
08-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I think we have a backup for Mikey. :bf1:

mysticsoto
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I think we have a backup for Mikey. :bf1:

And I was worried about being cut... :D:

mysticsoto
08-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Very well done!! Enjoy anything I can get down here. Curious though about Preston, someone somewhere else was saying he was a "gem" and has played well. Was he only overmatched by Sam or by everyone that lined up against him?

Thanks Again! :goodpost:

Late
I don't hold his problems vs Adams against him since Adams is a monster...but he pretty much could not stop anyone. I think Edwards got by him and pretty much everyone they placed there did also. But I think I remembered a report when they 1st drafted him that said he would need to develop some more upper body strength - and I think that is exactly what he needs. It's not that he was lacking in technique or know-how. He just gets beaten physically and overpowered. That can be worked on in the weight room. Pair him up with Aiken who is another workout warrior and we'll see a change next year!!!

mysticsoto
08-04-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm sorry I didn't meet you. I didn't get out there today. I had a doctor's appointment and a few other things to do, that I didn't make it. It's nice to know that there are other Zoners who can make up for it when I'm not there. :up:
Maybe next time. Let me know the next time you are not going to make it. Apparently, I'm your backup. :D: Actually, I will be there next Thursday also - with my work buddies...

mysticsoto
08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Good Job..

Yep, they were in full gear. Without their jersey numbers, I would never have recognized Mike Williams given his new leaner, trimmer size!!!

Nor Shaud Williams...

Crisis
08-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Nice job.

I was just wondering how McGahee looks, is his speed from his college days back?

ryven
08-04-2005, 01:15 PM
thanks man great job.

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Maybe next time. Let me know the next time you are not going to make it. Apparently, I'm your backup. :D: Actually, I will be there next Thursday also - with my work buddies...
No, I think you should let us know when you can't make it, then :fat: can go.

mysticsoto
08-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Nice job.

I was just wondering how McGahee looks, is his speed from his college days back?
I didn't see anything that confirmed his speed is back - but then, none of the RBs had plays that would showcase them in that way. They seemed to focus more on catches and blocks yesterday than anything else. I will say that in the blocking drills, I think it was Fletcher against McGahee and Fletcher gave him a swap that knocked him like 2 feet back and allowed Fletcher in for a probable sack or atleast disruption to the QB. McGahee seemed mad but didn't get a chance to redeem himself. Atleast until the end of camp in the Red Zone drills when he scored a touchdown and threw the football toward the linemen on the line that had been chanting to pump up the defense.

This is all friendly rivalry by the way. I don't want to insinuate that there is bad blood between anyone. But it is clear that our defense is intense about not allowing anything and when they are on the field, they are always hunched over and on the balls of their feet (vs their heels). They seem like predators and I liked the vibe I got from them!!!

Michael82
08-04-2005, 04:02 PM
No, I think you should let us know when you can't make it, then :fat: can go.
:::

I have had no complaints from my reports before. Hell, you've even given me compliments. :shocked:

Besides, I don't see you bringing your lazy old wrinkled ass to Rochester for a few days of training camp. :::

Rockpile
08-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Nice report!

On that last goal line stand, the crowd was really into it too, chanting "Dee-fense!"

Also the OL pairing of Gandy with Bennie Anderson seems to work well.

Mr. Wilson was there again, standing on the sidelines. The fans left him alone so he got to be a fan too!

When practice was over, the crowd stood and applauded the tteam. Very classy.

Rockpile
08-05-2005, 07:50 AM

Right. You saw me in the morning and I said I was coming back so you skipped out. :blowup:

FYI - I will be there on 8/8, 8/10, 8/15, 8/17, 8/22, and 8/23. I usually wear a "Rockpile" jersey - #80 (old style) or #81 (current jersey).

Gimme a holler if you want!

Michael82
08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Right. You saw me in the morning and I said I was coming back so you skipped out. :blowup:

FYI - I will be there on 8/8, 8/10, 8/15, 8/17, 8/22, and 8/23. I usually wear a "Rockpile" jersey - #80 (old style) or #81 (current jersey).

Gimme a holler if you want!
sounds good. It was nice seeing you again, man. :up: