PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of our assistant coaches?

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 01:31 PM
I was thinking about this today and I can't think of an assistant coach from Buffalo ever scoring a head coaching job anywhere else in the league.

Jerry Gray might have a chance someday but do you think there is any hidden gems on our current staff?

justasportsfan
08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Gray- If the bills end up the same way we did last year, this could be his last season. We could lose him to a HC job in the college ranks.

McNally- he was getting on his knees to demonstrate to the players how to block inspite his age.

Krumrie- my favorite. Intense.

cordog
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Ted Marchibroda left the Bills to take the HC job in Indianapolis after the 91 season I believe. Usually coordinators and coaches get more looks when a team has made playoff runs, which the bills have not done for awhile now. This does not mean that the Bills dont have good coaches. Most of the coaching staff is well thought of throughout the league. Jerry Gray and Tom Clements will get attention if their units and the Bills are successful.

ublinkwescore
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
If we do lose Gray, who do you think will take over his post?

I don't think it will be Krumrie - maybe Blackmon?

Or will we bring someone else in from outside the team.

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I forgot about Ted M.

The_Philster
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Pete Carroll
Tom Flores
Jerry Glanville
Dick Jauron
Marchibroda

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I was thinking more as coaches who got promoted while they were already with the Bills.

The_Philster
08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
I was thinking more as coaches who got promoted while they were already with the Bills.You mean as in promoted to Bills Head coach after being an assistant here?

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 06:34 PM
You mean as in promoted to Bills Head coach after being an assistant here?Being promoted while they were on the staff the year before.

The_Philster
08-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Wade Phillips and Joe Collier come to mind without even having to look anything up

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Wade Phillips and Joe Collier come to mind without even having to look anything up
I've never heard of Joe Collier.

I'm not talking about being promoted from within. I'm talking about from outside of the organization.

The_Philster
08-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Being promoted while they were on the staff the year before.
I'm not talking about being promoted from within. I'm talking about from outside of the organization.:huh:

I've never heard of Joe Collier.

no offense, but how long you been following the Bills? You know who Lou Saban is, right? Collier was his def. coor. in the 60s...took over as head coach when Saban left the team the first time...took us to the AFL title game...had we beaten the Chiefs in the AFL Title game, he would've been the head coach in Super Bowl I

BillsFever21
08-04-2005, 06:54 PM
:huh:

no offense, but how long you been following the Bills? You know who Lou Saban is, right? Collier was his def. coor. in the 60s...took over as head coach when Saban left the team the first time...took us to the AFL title game...had we beaten the Chiefs in the AFL Title game, he would've been the head coach in Super Bowl I
I've been a Bills fan since I was 10 years old(17 years)

I've never cared to learn who the Defensive Coordinator was 20 years before I was born.

Ickybaluky
08-04-2005, 08:34 PM
You know who Lou Saban is, right? Collier was his def. coor. in the 60s...took over as head coach when Saban left the team the first time...took us to the AFL title game...had we beaten the Chiefs in the AFL Title game, he would've been the head coach in Super Bowl I

Joe Collier was also also on the Patriots original coaching staff in 1961-1962, and served as DC under Dick McPherson in 1991-1992. Besides being the Bills' HC, he was a long-time DC for the Broncos.

His son, Joel Collier, currently is the assistant DB coach for the Patriots. He was born in Buffalo.

TigerJ
08-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Among current Bills assistants, McNally has no aspirations to do anything but coach offensive linemen. Gray is probably the most likely to becom a head coach. I agree that Don Blackmon is the heir apparent for DC if Jerry Gray leaves. Clements will get head coach consideration in a few years if the Bills offence shows solid improvement over the next 2-3 years. I think Sam Wyche's head coaching days are over. Physically, I don't think his health would let him do it. I think Krumrie is likely to stay put as a d-line coach. He seems to be a hands on kind of guy.