PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking at Corey Simon???

TypicalBill
08-05-2005, 04:13 AM
According to a very reliable league source, the Buffalo Bills have been looking into the possibility of acquiring franchise-tagged defensive tackle Corey Simon from the Eagles.

http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112322928129970.xml&coll=5

Oh my! :jump:

clumping platelets
08-05-2005, 04:27 AM
:eek:

clumping platelets
08-05-2005, 04:36 AM
If true, the Bills would need to create about $2.5-3.0 million in cap space to make this happen

Michael82
08-05-2005, 05:05 AM
I don't understand this at all. The Bills have Sam Adams and he looks good, but Ron Edwards really looks bigger and better than before.

vicmantak
08-05-2005, 05:14 AM
This idea really doesn't makes any sense...
I would say Donahoe is doing his best to be FIRED.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2005, 05:15 AM
While I'm not a Gandy basher, wouldn't an OFFENSIVE tackle make more sense?

Michael82
08-05-2005, 05:25 AM
While I'm not a Gandy basher, wouldn't an OFFENSIVE tackle make more sense?
I agree. Corey Simon is DEFINITELY not a need and would cost too much. :ill:

Dozerdog
08-05-2005, 05:34 AM
This idea really doesn't makes any sense...
I would say Donahoe is doing his best to be FIRED.
No offense, but that is ridiculous.

TD tries to upgrade the position with a pro-bowl player and that will get him fired?

While it would be nice to try and get a similar caliber player at LT- there isn't any out there.

vicmantak
08-05-2005, 05:52 AM
No offense, but that is ridiculous.

TD tries to upgrade the position with a pro-bowl player and that will get him fired?

While it would be nice to try and get a similar caliber player at LT- there isn't any out there.
Dozerdog, maybe it's ridiculous but please... does it makes sense to be interested in a franchise tagged player without cap space, CB contract issues, a promising DT depth and mainly IMMEDIATE NEEDS?

On the other hand, Orlando Pace is a franchise tagged player who is way interesting...

The Quebecer
08-05-2005, 05:59 AM
It's never a bad idea to try and improve your team... As much as it doesn't seem to make sense, if you can get yourself a top notch player at a relatively good price, my take is that you do it... Remember that TD is always thinking about the future... Isn't Adams a UFA next year?

We'll have to wait and see!
Later,
Pat

jamze132
08-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Is there any proof that the story is accurate? I don't think we really have the funds OR the need for one of the great DTs in football. Last time I checked, our defense was pretty good and we only lost Pat Williams. If the defense crumbles because he left, than we have issues. But if Donahoe just wants to spend money, go out and get a proven LT.

Night Train
08-05-2005, 06:05 AM
While many here can't think beyond lunchtime today, TD knows Fat Sam has 1-2 years left and will have to eventually replace him. He'll be in the same boat with him as he was Pat Williams. Adams will be 33-34 years old and wanting a big payday that the Bills may not be able to afford, nor give an aging Vet on the decline. His current contract was a bargain they will never see again.

Simon is a legit All-Pro DT. The Eagles are looking for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. That would still leave the Bills with a 1st and 3rd next year.

Pining for a non-existent available talent at Offensive LT makes zero sense. If Gandy stinks, then Teague or Peters will get their shot.

Leave the GM job to TD and go get this guy.

Albany,n.y.
08-05-2005, 06:06 AM
If it's a 2 & 3 it means that Henry & a 2nd gets Simon. Well worth it with Adams and Edwards no sure things beyond this season due to Adams age & free agency.

Sportsuser101
08-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Not to mention Simon isn't a franchise player.

ryjam282
08-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Not a bad idea. He is obviously looking at life after Big Sam leaves. No reason to pay top dollar to an aging DT in Sam when his contract is up we could have a super top notch younger DT stepping right in and not miss a beat. But, where does the money come from? :scratch: Maybe, the Eagles are interested in Josh Reed and his small contract or something along those lines....I know that wouldn't be enough but it is a start.

Canadian'eh!
08-05-2005, 06:47 AM
So, you DON'T resign Pat Williams for 12 mill, but you DO trade for a player with the franchise tag on him? ok.

ryjam282
08-05-2005, 06:49 AM
So, you DON'T resign Pat Williams for 12 mill, but you DO trade for a player with the franchise tag on him? ok.

Keep in mind, that franchised player is about 5 years younger then Pat too.

McGahee420
08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I think the move would be pretty cool and it would be nice to see our defense get another pro bowler, but I like what Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson bring to the table. Also, shouldn't TD wait until he talks to Clements agent about an extension, before going out and getting another high caliber player that will take up more cap room. I would rather see us sign Clements to a long term deal, than getting Simon. TD must know something though, something that none of us know. He tends to do things like this.

lordofgun
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I have no idea how well Edwards is gonna do full time in that role. I think TD may know better, but remember, TD always makes moves for the future, not for this year.

If SA moves on next year, Simon would be a great replacement.

Way to go, TD!

Bulldog
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM

Simon is both younger and more talented than Pat Williams. Make sense?

Sportsuser101
08-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Simon is both younger and more talented than Pat Williams. Make sense?
If you factor in the money its not even worth it. I was for letting Pat go this year but for Edwards to step in. I was really impressed with him and think he'll fill Pats spot without missing a beat and even getting more pressure on the QB then Pat. Not a fan of Simon at least not at that money.

dannyek71
08-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Ron Edwards will do fine in the starting role. He started a few years back next to Pat Williams, and he did alright then. Id take nate with a contract extension over Simon any day.

As far as Simon/pat williams that is no contest. Pat has a few years more left in him tops. If Corey was cheap id say take him, otherwise no way.

justasportsfan
08-05-2005, 08:20 AM
:calm:The bills haven't even called

Bulldog
08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
If you factor in the money its not even worth it. I was for letting Pat go this year but for Edwards to step in. I was really impressed with him and think he'll fill Pats spot without missing a beat and even getting more pressure on the QB then Pat. Not a fan of Simon at least not at that money.

While I agree that I don't think it's a major need, Buffalo would be foolish not to at least look into it. The point of my previous post was that if Buffalo was going to sign either Williams or Simon, I would rather they gave the money to Simon as he's younger and more talented.

Michael82
08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I bet we could get him for Josh Reed and one of our 3rd rounders. :dance:

Michael82
08-05-2005, 08:32 AM
:calm:The bills haven't even called
Wanna bet? You know how TD works. He denies things all the time and is very sneaky about it. :D

Ed
08-05-2005, 08:32 AM
There's no harm in looking into a player, it doesn't mean you have to trade for them. You have to keep in mind that not only is Sam Adams getting older, but Edwards is an UFA after this season also. If the Bills could work out a deal to get Simon at a bargain price, it's at least worth looking into. Obviously the Eagles aren't willing to give him a long term deal, so it might give the Bills a little bit of leverage.

I'm not really a fan of the idea though, because I don't think we need Simon this season, and if he's not going to get a long term deal from the Eagles, why not wait to try and get him next season? Plus, I don't want to bring in Simon if it hurts are chances of re-signing Clements and McGahee down the line. I'm sure TD takes that all into account though, and I'll trust what decision he makes.

mysticsoto
08-05-2005, 08:41 AM
There's no harm in looking into a player, it doesn't mean you have to trade for them. You have to keep in mind that not only is Sam Adams getting older, but Edwards is an UFA after this season also. If the Bills could work out a deal to get Simon at a bargain price, it's at least worth looking into. Obviously the Eagles aren't willing to give him a long term deal, so it might give the Bills a little bit of leverage.

I'm not really a fan of the idea though, because I don't think we need Simon this season, and if he's not going to get a long term deal from the Eagles, why not wait to try and get him next season? Plus, I don't want to bring in Simon if it hurts are chances of re-signing Clements and McGahee down the line. I'm sure TD takes that all into account though, and I'll trust what decision he makes.
This is pretty much how I feel. I am worried that this may mean NC is not going to be signed next year. Perhaps they think our roster has such good depth that another CB will step up this year. I don't know. While a Defensive line of ours that has Corey Simon would be a scary line - with Kelsay starting to step up also, I am worried that our Oline could probably use someone like Verba instead for a 1 yr deal...

We'll see what happens. I don't want to jump to conclusions yet.

sba
08-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Hate this, lock up Clements instead. Don't waste the cap room on a position that's not a need.

camelcowboy
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
What really pisses me off is that they couldn't have been thinking about doing this sooner. Maybe when they had something the eagles really wanted? "Travis Henry" Now the eagles are playing from the postion of power. If we were to offer Travis and a 3rd to the eagles that may have been enought to get Simon. We better not lose our first rounder next year or ill be pissed.

Sportsuser101
08-05-2005, 10:13 AM
What really pisses me off is that they couldn't have been thinking about doing this sooner. Maybe when they had something the eagles really wanted? "Travis Henry" Now the eagles are playing from the postion of power. If we were to offer Travis and a 3rd to the eagles that may have been enought to get Simon. We better not lose our first rounder next year or ill be pissed.
I'm sure the Eagles would hear the phone hung up in there ear if they asked for a 1st rounder. We got a 3rd rounder for Henry. More then enough. Eagles weren't even willing to offer a 4th round pick for Henry what makes you think they would take him a deal for Simon? They obviously feel they are good at running back.

lordofgun
08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
How are the Eagles in a position of power? Like several have said, it's not like we really NEED Simon this year.

camelcowboy
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
How are the Eagles in a position of power? Like several have said, it's not like we really NEED Simon this year.
Its not like the eagles NEED to dump off a probowl d-tackle either. I think this whole this is bull anyways, We should keep the cap space for when 3/4 of our defense becomes freeagents in the next 2 years.

TypicalBill
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
It's all about the Benjamins :cynic:

camelcowboy
08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
It's all about the Benjamins :cynic:
I agree. To much money is being put into the defense, and skill postions. Yet we alway neglect the O-line. I don't know. Simon would be great for this defense but we should spend our money on other things.

Tatonka
08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
ron edwards is a FA next year.. WHEN he does have a good season, he will not be cheap either. and we will be losing sam adams after this season too most likely..

so signing simon would be a very smart move.

L.A. Playa
08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I would sign Simon if it was a Cap friendly move and we could still tie up Clements and McGee, I am not too worried about LT no reason to spend any money out tehre for someone who is a little better than what we have now

DraftBoy
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Simon would be a great acquisition imo. We all know that while we dont feel comfortable at the LT posistion, McNally, TD and MM do. Personally Ive been very critical of the DT posistion all offseason, while some have faith in Edwards, I have my doubts. So picking up Simon would be great imo, bc it would solidify the middle of the D, and we could sign him long term. He's also a pass rusher which is something we've lacked in the middle, as we've always been more geared towards stopping the run up there. I would love to see Corey Simon in a Buffalo Bills uniform next season!!

DraftBoy
08-05-2005, 11:59 AM
ron edwards is a FA next year.. WHEN he does have a good season, he will not be cheap either. and we will be losing sam adams after this season too most likely..

so signing simon would be a very smart move.

Now is that When this season or a season in the near to far future? Now you know that I dont think Edwards is the answer, and you have mad the argument that I have no proof to support said argument and you are correct, but what consistent proof do you have that he is gonna be good in a full-time role?

L.A. Playa
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
With Approx $4mil in cap space and Clements cap charge of almost $4mil this year could we possible resign Nate bump his rate to llets say $5mil this year and Sign Simon to a a cap friendly deal where he gets paid but only lets say a $2,5 to $3 mil hit this year ??

Tatonka
08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Now is that When this season or a season in the near to far future? Now you know that I dont think Edwards is the answer, and you have mad the argument that I have no proof to support said argument and you are correct, but what consistent proof do you have that he is gonna be good in a full-time role?

i am basing on the fact that he was great last year.. and i think he will play about the same this year w/ anderson..

mysticsoto
08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
For all we know, this may all be speculation. Although I just picked up Buffalo's DEF/ST for my fantasy just in case. I had them last year and they helped me many a week...

Here's my team so far:

QB - McNabb
RB - Shaun Alexander
RB - Julius Jones
WR - Javon Walker
DEF/ST - Buffalo

It's still going on. It's a work Fantasy League...one of the guys here is a bit slow, so it can take us up to 2 weeks to make all our picks. But this year we have less people involved so who knows how long we'll take. The bad news is since I won last year, I am always the last to pick in each round. :teary:

DraftBoy
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Picking last and getting McNabb aint bad, Im assuming he was your 1st rounder?

casdhf
08-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm guessing Alexander was

mysticsoto
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Picking last and getting McNabb aint bad, Im assuming he was your 1st rounder?
No, he was one of my keepers. You get to keep 2 players as long as you've only had that player for 1 yr - you cannot keep a player for more than 2 years. I kept McNabb and Shaun Alexander from last year. But last year I had Javon Walker and the Buf Def/ST, and luckily, I was able to pick them up again. I wanted McGahee so bad...but he was picked 3 picks before I came up in the 1st round. So I picked up Julius Jones instead. With them having DB, I figured they will have to rely alot on Jones. :funny:

DraftBoy
08-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Not a bad pickup at all imo. Jones and McGahee are two of the premier young running backs in the league.

L.A. Playa
08-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I bet we could get him for Josh Reed and one of our 3rd rounders. :dance:

with Pinkston out for year this would be 800,000 towards Simon's salary

TypicalBill
08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
No, he was one of my keepers. You get to keep 2 players as long as you've only had that player for 1 yr - you cannot keep a player for more than 2 years. I kept McNabb and Shaun Alexander from last year. But last year I had Javon Walker and the Buf Def/ST, and luckily, I was able to pick them up again. I wanted McGahee so bad...but he was picked 3 picks before I came up in the 1st round. So I picked up Julius Jones instead. With them having DB, I figured they will have to rely alot on Jones. :funny:
:lolpoint: :funny:

X-Era
08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
If true, the Bills would need to create about $2.5-3.0 million in cap space to make this happen
OK, I love your energy and I love your fervor for getting us quality info.

However, dude, its when you make statements like this that you overstep your bounds. You are a guy who does a quality job at ESTIMATING the Bills finiancial situation.

You are NOT a capologist. Your anre not paid by the Bills, nor are you clued into the info that TD has.

It is now, and always will be possible to sign Corey Simon or any other player for that matter.

Year after year I see threads like this and year after year he gets it done. Just quit, step away, give it a rest, and accept that you rnumbers and methodolgy are at best pretty close and at worst completely false.

There is absolutely NO reason that this guy would take the vet minimum in year 1 with a prorated bonus if signed to a long contract. So where do you get your dollar figure? You have no clue about the length of the contract, the signing bonus, the structure, or really anything for that matter.

Please refrain from doing this and stick to what you do best which is bringing us fans outstanding estimations on the Bills cap situation.

X-Era
08-05-2005, 06:08 PM

However, dude, its when you make statements like this that you overstep your bounds. You are a guy who does a quality job at ESTIMATING the Bills finiancial situation.

You are NOT a capologist. Your anre not paid by the Bills, nor are you clued into the info that TD has.

It is now, and always will be possible to sign Corey Simon or any other player for that matter.

Year after year I see threads like this and year after year he gets it done. Just quit, step away, give it a rest, and accept that you rnumbers and methodolgy are at best pretty close and at worst completely false.

There is absolutely NO reason that this guy would take the vet minimum in year 1 with a prorated bonus if signed to a long contract. So where do you get your dollar figure? You have no clue about the length of the contract, the signing bonus, the structure, or really anything for that matter.

Please refrain from doing this and stick to what you do best which is bringing us fans outstanding estimations on the Bills cap situation.
sorry meant to say there is no reason he will NOT take the vet minimum in year 1. it is friday night after all

Night Train
08-05-2005, 06:29 PM

Clump is just pointing out how much cap space Simon would require. His diligent effort at estimating the cap is usually dead on. Relax.

Simon will draw a good salary and bonus. Vet Min ? Only in Oz.

X-Era
08-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Clump is just pointing out how much cap space Simon would require. His diligent effort at estimating the cap is usually dead on. Relax.

Simon will draw a good salary and bonus. Vet Min ? Only in Oz.
Really? Fletcher made 1.5 in year 1, Spikes made 1 mill in year 1. Why when we are over 3 under do we need to make an additional 2-3 mill in cap?

The_Philster
08-05-2005, 06:38 PM
bonus money

X-Era
08-05-2005, 07:30 PM
bonus money
nice try but wrong again. can be spread out over the lenght of the contract.

The_Philster
08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
spread out equally over the life. Players are going after the high bonuses these days and if a player gets an $8M bonus on a 4 year deal...that's $2M that counts against the cap each season alone.

feelthepain
08-06-2005, 12:36 AM
I live at the heart of Eagle country and he may be a good addition to your team, I have read and watched the Eagle fans bust on him for not playing at a high level. He just never seemed to dominate. Big boy, your team could do worse. I'd say go to the Eagles site and read whats being said then believe about half what you read, good and bad. Then that will give you a pretty good idea what he will bring to the table. As a rival fan I hope you don't land him, as a football fan he would be a solid addition.

Bert102176
08-06-2005, 03:11 AM
it'll cost us way to much to get him

clumping platelets
08-06-2005, 04:16 AM
it'll cost us way to much to get him

Eagles agreed to 2nd & 3rd rd picks from the Ravens just prior to the 05 draft. Ravens and Simon couldn't agree to terms or he would've been in Baltimore already.

I would rather see the Bills throw the money at Clements, McGee, and McGahee. Keep the picks

indianabillsfan
08-06-2005, 07:06 AM
I just found out that PHI WR Todd Pinkston tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the year. Maybe we could trade one of our reserve WR's (not Parrish) and just one draft pick for Simon and still have 7 picks in '06 with the extra one we got from TEN for Henry. Just a thought.

L.A. Playa
08-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I would tend to say tie up McGee and Clements now, keep the picks and when Simon becomes a F/A next year then get him if we need him alot of Eagles D lineman have looked good because of the system they run then sucked in other places (Hugh Douglas) so the Bills could find a better replacement either in the draft or f/a if neccessary next season

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-06-2005, 01:00 PM
also he played on a team that went to a SuperBowl last yr.