• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

In Memory of Hunter

"Then there is my only son, Hunter, born on Feb. 14, Valentine's Day, my birthday. The son I've always wanted. I've dreamt what every father dreams about, playing catch in the backyard, going fishing, camping, everything that fathers and sons do. But within four months my son was diagnosed with a fatal disease called Krabbe Leukodystrophy. They told us to take him home, and make him comfortable. And from that day, my wife and I decided to fight this disease. And so, we made it our lifelong commitment to make sure that kids all over the world don't suffer like my son does.
    Since the day I was selected, I prayed to God that my son would be here with me today. God has granted me that blessing. It has been written throughout my career that toughness is my trademark. Well, the toughest person I've ever met in my life is my hero, my soldier, my son, Hunter. I love you, buddy.
    Thank you, Canton, thank you Buffalo and God bless. "

No replies necessary. I just thought some folks might want to read this again.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Kolbiss
    AJ FEELEY..WORST QB RATING IN ALL OF FOOTBALL!! 61.7
    • Dec 2003

Re: In Memory of Hunter

Originally posted by MBBedard
    "Then there is my only son, Hunter, born on Feb. 14, Valentine's Day, my birthday. The son I've always wanted. I've dreamt what every father dreams about, playing catch in the backyard, going fishing, camping, everything that fathers and sons do. But within four months my son was diagnosed with a fatal disease called Krabbe Leukodystrophy. They told us to take him home, and make him comfortable. And from that day, my wife and I decided to fight this disease. And so, we made it our lifelong commitment to make sure that kids all over the world don't suffer like my son does.
    Since the day I was selected, I prayed to God that my son would be here with me today. God has granted me that blessing. It has been written throughout my career that toughness is my trademark. Well, the toughest person I've ever met in my life is my hero, my soldier, my son, Hunter. I love you, buddy.
    Thank you, Canton, thank you Buffalo and God bless. "

No replies necessary. I just thought some folks might want to read this again.
    thanks for posting that...Very touching!

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

To add to it...

Kelly: 'I'm joining the greatest team of all'

CANTON, Ohio -- Jim Kelly never walked off a football field holding his son's hand. He never got to play catch with Hunter or take him camping or fishing.

But Kelly's 5-year-old son gave him something much more special: A hero.

Jim Kelly never tossed a touchdown pass as meaningful or had a moment on the field as sweet as the one that closed his induction speech into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Choking back tears throughout his 10 minutes at the podium, the Buffalo Bills quarterback thanked the teammates, coaches, family and friends who helped him achieve football's highest honor.

Then Kelly looked down at his terminally ill child.

Hunter Kelly, who shares his father's birthday and grit, has Krabbe's disease, a rare degenerative disorder of the nervous system that robbed him of motor skills.

"It's been written that the trademark of my career was toughness,'' Kelly said. "The toughest person I ever met in my life was my son, my hero, Hunter.

"I love you, buddy.''

Kelly's closing capped an emotional day as he was enshrined along with the late coach George Allen, tight end Dave Casper, defensive lineman Dan Hampton and wide receiver John Stallworth.

On a hot day, a record crowd of 17,700 attended the ceremonies in Fawcett Stadium, a long TD pass from the Hall. This was the first time the ceremony wasn't held on the Hall's front steps since 1965.

Good thing, too, since Kelly's enshrinement brought thousands of Bills fans -- many of them wearing his No. 12 jersey -- who made the 240-mile drive to Canton and made Fawcett feel like an October afternoon in Orchard Park, N.Y.

"Is there anyone back in Buffalo today?'' said Bills Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who presented Kelly for induction.

"I feel like I'm in Buffalo,'' Bills center Kent Hull said before the ceremony. "Look at this.''

People back in western New York undoubtedly were watching the ceremonies on TV to see Kelly, who led the Bills to four straight Super Bowls.

Kelly passed for 35,467 yards and 237 TDs during his 11-year NFL career. He led the Bills to the playoffs eight times, and Levy has no doubt who he would want with the ball and time running out.

"Right there,'' Levy said, stepping back from the podium to point at Kelly. "Jim Kelly, No. 12. He cared about winning. He cared about his team and his teammates. He cared about his family. His arm was great, but so was his heart.''

Beyond his unquestioned physical skills, Kelly's greatest attribute was the way he led -- with a swagger.

"If there was a movie made about the life of John Wayne,'' Levy said. "Jim Kelly ought to play the part.''

Kelly was the afternoon's final speaker, and for a moment it seemed like the sea of red, white and blue Bills fans wasn't going to let him get started, drowning out his opening with a rousing ovation.

"Today, I'm joining the greatest team of them all,'' he said.

Allen, a tireless worker and master motivator, is the only Hall of Famer to have coached for 12 seasons without a losing record.

He helped turn the Los Angeles Rams and Washington Redskins into winners while compiling a 116-47-5 career record.

"The future is now,'' said Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, opening with one of Allen's best-known phrases. "He was the consummate player's coach. He taught us the harder we worked, the luckier we got. And boy, did we get lucky.''

Stallworth was the less spectacular but steadier half of one of the NFL's greatest receiving tandems.

Stallworth and Lynn Swann helped the Pittsburgh Steelers win four Super Bowl titles, and it was Swann's impassioned speech during last year's inductions that helped get his friend elected.

Swann said the "greatest hour of my life is only a half-hour until John Stallworth is here.''

Stallworth, who owns every meaningful Steelers career receiving record, began his speech by saying, "I'm more than happy to complete that hour for him.''

Hampton, a fierce run stuffer nicknamed "Danimal,'' endured 12 knee operations during his 12 seasons with the Chicago Bears. A six-time Pro Bowler, Hampton never dreamed he would wind up in the Hall of Fame.

"Back in college, I was three things you don't want to be as a football player,'' he said. "Small, slow and friendly.''

He was anything but Mr. Nice Guy with the Bears, though.

"Nobody epitomized Monsters of the Midway better than Dan Hampton,'' said his presenter, former teammate Ed O'Bradovich.

Casper, nicknamed "The Ghost,'' was very visible as perhaps the league's premier tight end during his 147-game career.

In addition to his impressive stats, Casper will long be remembered for the "Holy Roller'' play, when he nudged a fumble into the end zone before falling on it for a game-winning TD.

"He was everything you always wanted in a football player and more,'' said his former coach and presenter, John Madden. "He's in the Hall of Fame forever because he earned it and he deserved it.''

Choking back tears throughout his 10 minutes at the podium, Jim Kelly thanked the teammates, coaches, family and friends who helped him achieve football's highest honor.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

5. A nod to the NFL
        Lest you pigskin fans think the Cooler was anti-football, take heed. I was all set to rip the NFL Hall of Fame because of its bogus "mandatory minimum" rule of admitting four guys every year.

Jim Kelly's induction speech in Canton was extremely emotional.
        Then Jim Kelly got up to speak.

And I learned he sprung for 500 hotel rooms. And I learned he invited 1,200 guests. And I remembered a trip to Buffalo for a 49ers-Bills game one year where I ate wings, talked shop with the local sports nuts and loved an American city's passion.

And then he paid tribute to his son.

And then? Well ... let's just say that I have really bad allergies, and they sorta started acting up, and maybe the guy in the apartment below me was playing the music from "Brian's Song" or something, 'cause I don't know what happened next.

Except to say, way to go, Jimmy. And Hunter.

See, there's room for the NFL at the Cooler, after all.

The dawn of another NFL exhibition season has Page 2's Brian Murphy running for cover.

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

I've been to Canton for the inductions of all the Bills who have been inducted except OJ...and in 1999, 2001, 2002, and 2003 no one came close to having a speech that was more moving, IMO. Maybe that's because I was a Kelly fan and I still tear up whenever I wath his retirement speech, but that's the way I feel.
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
          X