PDA

View Full Version : Bills working with Clements agent on new deal?

BillsFanInMass
08-05-2005, 09:38 PM
During the Packers Bills scrimmage they said the Bills were in the middle of Negotiating a contract extension for Nate that could make him the highest paid corner in football. Is this true and do we have that kinda cap room to mae him the top paid corner. That would probably take up the rest of our cap and prevent us from getting Verba or Simon. I think id rather the Bills keep Nate he is one of my favorite players.

ZacGriffi~82
08-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I remember reading that his agents would visit training camp sometime..

elltrain22
08-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Here's my feeling, ya gotta pay Nate. He is a shut-down corner, and may soon be an all pro corner, not to mention he has shown the ability to return punts. Whaddya gonna do if you let him walk, draft or sign a free agent half as good as him, I don't think so. Pay him, we won't regret it.

Mahdi
08-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Pay him, he's only 25.

clumping platelets
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Someone say something about the cap? :couch:

To answer it: Yes....Bills can re-sign Nate as long as both sides agree to the terms. Bills can create cap space if needed

ublinkwescore
08-06-2005, 12:27 AM
good to hear

vicmantak
08-06-2005, 02:44 AM
If Clements will not be signed, it seems that every year we let our own players go and continue picking up expensive FAs.

Sportsuser101
08-06-2005, 05:27 AM
If Clements will not be signed, it seems that every year we let our own players go and continue picking up expensive FAs.
Expensive FAs? Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson and Kelly Holcomb were expensive? I thought we got them pretty cheap. :confused:

juice
08-06-2005, 05:44 AM
You'd better keep Nate.. he's got a unique combination of Cover ability, Tackling ability, and speed that it takes to be a League great for years to come.

Being only 25 years old on one of the Leagues best defenses, I'd say Nate has a good chance to be a HoF DB for the Bills if we pay him what he deserves.

Nate has probably been the most consistent DB in the League over the past 5 years, and that includes Woodson and Bailey - his numbers of Ints and Tackles stand up to Rods' or Champs'.

The only way that I'd consider letting him go (VIA Franchise Tag) at seasons' end is if it's gonna cost us the ability to work a deal with Willis - but if TD is the cap expert he claims to be then he can the Numbers and keep both future HoFers.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 07:49 AM
I figured TD would realize that he deserves the money. Hell, he showed Takeo Spikes and London Fletcher the money. He's willing to pay people that he believes are top notch. and he's only 25. I'll be thrilled when the extension is finished. Hopefully its for at least 6 years. :clap:

But I will say this...after he signs a big contract...I don't want him at PR anymore. It wouldn't be worth losing him to an injury from PRs.

Novacane
08-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Lets see him play this year before they sign him long term. I'd like to see if he's learned to knock the ball down instead of going for stats every time

Michael82
08-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Lets see him play this year before they sign him long term. I'd like to see if he's learned to knock the ball down instead of going for stats every time
won't happen. Then he would cost even more or he would just sign with someone else. Plus, if we got cap money now...it makes more sense to do it now.

Novacane
08-06-2005, 07:59 AM
If they are willing to make him the highest paid corner as the poster said than it does not make sense to sign him now. It only makes sense if they can get a little discount for giving him the contract a year early. If they want to make him the highest paid corner next year they can just franchise him so he can only negotiate with them

X-Era
08-06-2005, 08:06 AM
During the Packers Bills scrimmage they said the Bills were in the middle of Negotiating a contract extension for Nate that could make him the highest paid corner in football. Is this true and do we have that kinda cap room to mae him the top paid corner. That would probably take up the rest of our cap and prevent us from getting Verba or Simon. I think id rather the Bills keep Nate he is one of my favorite players.
I would but NO stock in what a local yocal from GB says about a Clements extension. The guy probably just heard what TD said about talking with Clements agent at some point and filled in the rest on his own.

Crisis
08-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I think TD has too much ego to let Clements walk. After all, he's one of his prized draft picks.

He's still holding onto Josh Reed.

Drive 4 Five
08-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Man when you really think about it, Nate is the Bill's version of Ty Law. This is one of those Mutha F'ers yous got to sign. There is no way in hell he leaves Buffalo.

Dozerdog
08-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I think that it can be done if both sides are willing to be creative and want to get it done.

If Nate wants some sick deal like what Baily got last year, it might not happen. But the new TV money (And hopefully new CBA) kicks in in a year or two, with the salary cap jumping up significantly.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I think that it can be done if both sides are willing to be creative and want to get it done.

If Nate wants some sick deal like what Baily got last year, it might not happen. But the new TV money (And hopefully new CBA) kicks in in a year or two, with the salary cap jumping up significantly.
So then TD should backload it, while thinking ahead to the new CBA and huge cap increases.

Dozerdog
08-06-2005, 01:13 PM
So then TD should backload it, while thinking ahead to the new CBA and huge cap increases.But you don't want to screw yourself 3-4 years from now, with a huge chunk of money keeping you from resigning a Lee Evans, McGahee, and Losman

The_Philster
08-06-2005, 02:50 PM
He'd be a lot more expensive next year if he has a 2nd consecutive Pro Bowl season

BillsFever21
08-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Show him the money.

L.A. Playa
08-06-2005, 03:21 PM
he is worth the money McGee is improving but not a #1 corner

ublinkwescore
08-06-2005, 03:36 PM
maybe the new cap from CBA will allow us to keep a good number of the guys we have under contract right now together long enough to make some playoff pushes - sign Nate now, and tell Willis he's next along with Losman.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 03:51 PM
He'd be a lot more expensive next year if he has a 2nd consecutive Pro Bowl season
EXACTLY!

SquishDaFish
08-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Plus waiting to franchise him and neg with him at that time dont you lose the franchise tag for the length of that deal? I believe so anyway.