PDA

View Full Version : OpIv37's Post-Scrimmage analysis

OpIv37
08-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks to the miracle of DirecTV, I was able to view the scrimmage on the NFL network. Here are my thoughts:

Offense
-JP Losman is getting there but needs some work- he made one veteran play by throwing to Lee Evans when he was clearly being fouled by the defender. He also felt a blitz from the back side- he missed the receiver but it would have been a definite sack with Bledsoe. There were two occasions when he made bad choices on whether to run/pass, but those are rookie mistakes that will lessen with time and they won't lose games. He threw one bad pass into the flats that probably would have been an INT for a TD in a real game. This concerns me.

-Holcombe looked good

-LT situation: Gandy was surprisingly adequate, even if it was against a less than stellar defense. Peters has a long way to go- he plays LT like he's still a TE by forcing his man wide. If he has to take his man straight on, he sucks

-The right side of the line (Villarial, Williams) did not look great during run blocking

-WR: Parrish came in as the 3rd receiver with the first team. Not good news for Josh Reed or Jonathan Smith (who IMO has a better shot of making the team cuz of his ST ability). Moulds saw limited action but looked good on his one reception. Evans will have a breakout season.

-McGahee's a beast. We have "depth" at running back- but not the degree that we need. There are 3 or 4 running backs on the roster who can play, but still none of them stand out as 2nd string. A whole crapload of 3rd string backs is useless. Lionel Gates can fly and has a good burst.

-Rashard Lee missed a block on an obviously blitzing linebacker that led to a sack. JP was pissed.

Defense
-Spikes, Adams, Clements and Fletcher look amazing. No surprises there. Schobel and Kelsay also looked great, which did surprise me.

-the blitzes and pass pressure were excellent.

-At one point, Sam Adams went out for a rest, leaving Anderson and Edwards to hold down the middle of the line. The mere thought of this occuring in a real game took 5 years off my life. Edwards did alright in pass protection, but I saw him get pushed back several times on running plays. Any word on Simon? The fact that his name even came up tells me that someone at 1 Bills Drive isn't happy with the DT situation.

-If there's a weak link in our D, it's McGee. I love his return ability, but like I said all last season, he struggles in coverage.

-Our D has decent depth (except DT). Our second stringers owned Aaron Rodgers and the first string GB offense. He looked terrible.

Special Teams:
-Lindell botched the onside kick, and he didn't practice FG's even though the Packers did. WTF- he needs all the practice he can get

-Kicking and punting teams looked good except for one punt coverage, although it's difficult to tell when they're not going full speed/contact

Green Bay Packers notes:
-The Packers will be 4-12. Favre is showing his age a little, their o-line is awful and their team has no depth.

-Packer fans are ugly. The men have white trash mustaches and crooked teeth. The women weigh more than the men, some of them have mullets, and their eye sockets aren't quite even.

-The feed was from the local GB Fox affiliate, so there was definitely some Packers bias. However, I'm not going to complain too much because I bet the same thing would have happened if the scrimmage took place in Buffalo.

:feedback:

Novacane
08-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I did not notice any packer bias. I thought they were really tough on the packers.

OpIv37
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I did not notice any packer bias. I thought they were really tough on the packers.

I meant in the sense that they talked incessantly about the Packers and didn't know the first thing about the Bills (ie twice they called Parrish a 2nd round draft choice when he was really a 3rd). they were definitely tough on the Packers, but it was hard to say anything good about the way they played tonight.

Novacane
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I agree with you on the right side of the OL. MW looked like crap.

Novacane
08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I meant in the sense that they talked incessantly about the Packers and didn't know the first thing about the Bills (ie twice they called Parrish a 2nd round draft choice when he was really a 3rd). they were definitely tough on the Packers, but it was hard to say anything good about the way they played tonight.

he was a 2nd

OpIv37
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
he was a 2nd

I thought we didn't have a 2nd- only a 3rd? Ok maybe I'm wrong on that. But I still say they talked WAY too much about the Packers.

MDFINFAN
08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
The team looked good tonight for the 1st scrimage...JP kept his posed. There are some things he has to clean up, but speed is not one of them. Did you see him catch up with and outrun the blockers on the 1st play of the game, the reverse. Man that's some speed. He seemed a little plump which cause of some the mental errors, but other than that, he made a good first impression on me. If he just keep his head during the season keep away from turnovers, you're be in every game if the D plays like them did tonight..good pressure on the qb on just about every pass play.

JD
08-05-2005, 11:36 PM
-Packer fans are ugly. The men have white trash mustaches and crooked teeth. The women weigh more than the men, some of them have mullets, and their eye sockets aren't quite even.

:lmao:

...that was so random, but ****ing amazing!