PDA

View Full Version : JP Losman in Scrimmage

ghz in pittsburgh
08-05-2005, 10:50 PM
In the first series, Losman completed passes to Campbell, Moulds, and Parrish, the last two come on 3rd downs faced with pass rushers in his face. He looked poised, with quick decisions and quick delivery.

At that point, I was thinking to myself, who the hell were those people reported from TC that Losman looked terrible?

That first series ended with incomplete pass to Evans, which may or may not be called pass interference on the DB.

Then the Bills seemed to focus on play actions. I admit that Losman has very good fake actions. But both of his throws came up short and I started to understand what people are complaining about Losman. He had time; he could comfortably setup and deliver; but he seemed to kept his previous quick delivery rhythm and threw the ball not in his best form. If you ask me why, I'd offer the opinion that the game has not slowed down for him; everything seemed very quick, sometimes too quick for him - he does not know he can actually waste a few seconds back there to setup.

Now the ugly part. In that play where the Packers dropped into coverage and Losman suddenly has lots of time in the pocket but no open target. You can clearly see his hesitation while focusing on his right side: to let go of the ball or not to. I immediately knew it would be a bad play. Guess what, he threw to an out pattern almost being picked off by a DB for an easy 6 the other way.

This is something Losman cannot have for the Bills in 2005. It is something Roethlisberger never had in 2004.

He also had a case where he should've thrown to an open Reed but instead opting for a run for 3 yard, and another where he should've kept the ball and run for at least a 1st down with a possible TD but opted to throw high to triple coverage in the back of the endzone.

Conclusion: we can see Losman has a lot of potential (arm, quick delivery, reasonable decision making, escaping rush) but very inconsistent right now. on a scale from 0 to 10, I'll give him a 5. You cannot win with Losman of this scrimmage in NFL because opposing teams will scheme to attack his weakness all the time and it does not take a Belichick to figure this out.

On the other hand, his biggest problem is getting himself used to the NFL speed - making the game slow down for him. And that can be helped with playing. We have 4 pre-season games to go and I'm sure Mularkay is grateful that he has 4 more chances to get Losman valuable game-like reps.

MDFINFAN
08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Good report...pretty much concur with his first outing..but I was still impressed with him in his first showing..

im4bflo
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
In the first series, Losman completed passes to Campbell, Moulds, and Parrish, the last two come on 3rd downs faced with pass rushers in his face. He looked poised, with quick decisions and quick delivery.

At that point, I was thinking to myself, who the hell were those people reported from TC that Losman looked terrible?

That first series ended with incomplete pass to Evans, which may or may not be called pass interference on the DB.

Then the Bills seemed to focus on play actions. I admit that Losman has very good fake actions. But both of his throws came up short and I started to understand what people are complaining about Losman. He had time; he could comfortably setup and deliver; but he seemed to kept his previous quick delivery rhythm and threw the ball not in his best form. If you ask me why, I'd offer the opinion that the game has not slowed down for him; everything seemed very quick, sometimes too quick for him - he does not know he can actually waste a few seconds back there to setup.

Now the ugly part. In that play where the Packers dropped into coverage and Losman suddenly has lots of time in the pocket but no open target. You can clearly see his hesitation while focusing on his right side: to let go of the ball or not to. I immediately knew it would be a bad play. Guess what, he threw to an out pattern almost being picked off by a DB for an easy 6 the other way.

This is something Losman cannot have for the Bills in 2005. It is something Roethlisberger never had in 2004.

He also had a case where he should've thrown to an open Reed but instead opting for a run for 3 yard, and another where he should've kept the ball and run for at least a 1st down with a possible TD but opted to throw high to triple coverage in the back of the endzone.

Conclusion: we can see Losman has a lot of potential (arm, quick delivery, reasonable decision making, escaping rush) but very inconsistent right now. on a scale from 0 to 10, I'll give him a 5. You cannot win with Losman of this scrimmage in NFL because opposing teams will scheme to attack his weakness all the time and it does not take a Belichick to figure this out.

On the other hand, his biggest problem is getting himself used to the NFL speed - making the game slow down for him. And that can be helped with playing. We have 4 pre-season games to go and I'm sure Mularkay is grateful that he has 4 more chances to get Losman valuable game-like reps.
And more game film to study, when things slow down, and he get's his poise, we should have a great one!

RedEyE
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I think you've given an unfair assessment. I think the kid did well tonight. He looked hungry and made some physical mistakes, but that can easily be corrected.

OpIv37
08-05-2005, 10:58 PM

like I said in my other thread- these plays don't bother me because he didn't force it and he didn't do anything that would potentially alter the game. It's rookie jitters and he'll easily get over it with experience. Now the pass to the flats that would have been returned for 6- I completely agree. We will not win if Losman does that against any of the better teams on our schedule. I'm not in panic mode yet- he did some things well and he has plenty of time to catch up.

Throne Logic
08-05-2005, 11:14 PM
The thing about learning from your mistakes is that you have to make them first.

This is his first action of his career as THE guy in front of fans. Nevermind that it was a scrimmage, it was still a sold-out Lambeau field. Don't forget, Green Bay was going to draft him if TD didn't jump in with that trade. Just adds a bit more nerves to the pile.

We'll see how he settles in as the first couple pre-season games go in the books. Smart move by the Bills to go to this scrimmage. The more experience, the better off he'll be come September.

kevinj22
08-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I agree with some of the quotes but I have to admit that I was very impressed with what I saw. Mainly because the best is yet to come. This kid is going to be really good, this is not Rob J at all. We as fans just have to be patient.

Carlton Bailey
08-06-2005, 01:54 AM
I think it's a good assessment but you were a little hard on him. I expect more and more improvement as the weeks go on.

TypicalBill
08-06-2005, 01:56 AM

Rodney Harrison, AFC Championship game.. an out that was int and returned for TD.

But i agree, nobody wants to see that. He's still young, thats to be expected.

camelcowboy
08-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Im thrilled, he looks better then Kyle Boller and AJ Feely. Thats all that matters to me. He has the tools. He looked good considering he has thrown less then 50 passes in a bills uniform.