Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlton Bailey

How could you not want Corey Simon?

I know he's expensive but come on, you do not pass up the opportunity to get a guy of this caliber. He'll make the entire defense better. I mean, how many DT's in the NFL are actually better than him? The only guy clearly above anyone else is Kris Jenkins. After that, the title of 2nd best DT is up for grabs. This guy is a far better player than Pat Williams was. Simon is top level and Williams was a level below that. If we add Corey, it will automatically give us the best DT combo in the NFL by far as well as make our DE's better because the OL focus will be on Simon and Adams, not Schobel and Kelsay or Denney. This will result in a more effective pass rush leading to more great plays by our secondary and LB group. Adding Simon to the D would put us over the top of defense and maybe as a team. Our D on paper would be as good or better than the 2000 Ravens and our offense would be better as well. Here's why I say this...

Offense:

Losman can be at least as good or better than Dilfer was. Dilfer basically did nothing.

Running game- They had the great Jamal Lewis who helped them greatly and we have the great Willis McGahee who will have a breakout year in 2005.

Our receivers are much better. Their leading receiver was Qadry Is'mail with just 49 catches. Evans had that last year and barely got the ball the first half of the year, Moulds will catch 70+ this year, and Parrish will be a great 3rd. However, their tight end, Shannon Sharpe did catch a team best 67 balls and we won't get that from Campbell or Euhus.

Our offenseiv line is the big question. The Ravens line was anchored by Ogden among others, we need Mike Williams to play up to his potential and that will make the whole unit solid.

Offensive advantage: By far, the Bills.

Defense:

D-Line- Their DL included McCrary, Siragusa, and Adams, as well as Rob Burnett. Well, the Bills have Adams who is playing at least as good as he did back then and Simon is easily better than Siragusa. Schobel can play on McCrary's level with 10+ sacks and Kelsay can give us 6 or 7 like Burnett. Here we see that the 2005 Bills D and 2000 Ravens D are strikingly similar.

LB's- More similarities. The Ravens LB's were tremendous with Lewis, Sharper, and Boulware. The Bills LB group is currently the best in the game today. The edge here goes to the 2000 Ravens but the Bills LB's are still the best the game has to offer for right now.

Defensive Backfield- More similarities... The Ravens defense had an elite #1 corner in Chris McAllister. The Bills have the same in Nate Clements. Rod Woodson was their #2 and he is definitely better than McGee is now but McGee is still good. As for the safeties, they had Duane Starks and Kim Herring. I'll take our Milloy-Vincent combo anyday of the week.

Depth on O and D- The Bills have better depth... The Ravens had decent depth on D but not much on O. The Bills have an elite backup QB, a decent group of backup RB's, an adequate #4 and #5 receivers, better TE depth than the Ravens had, less OL depth, adequate DL depth, very good LB depth, and very good DB depth.

Special Teams- The Bills and Ravens both have great Kick Returners. Baltimore had Jermaine Lewis and the Bills have a modern day only better version, Terrence McGee. The Bills have 3 more star returners in Roscoe Parrish, Nate Clements, and Freddie Smith. They had a far better kicker but the Bills have a far better punter. Our coverage unit is probably better as well because let's face it, it doesn't get much better than the Bills coverage unit.

Coaching Staff- Brian Billick has averaged around 9 or 10 wins a year as the Ravens coach and is known as one of the best in the game. Mike Mularkey won 9 games in 2005(a few early season breaks could have made it 11 or 12)in his rookie year and won his team's respect as a great organizer, innovator, and motovator. The Ravens brought Matt Cavanagh as their offensive coordinator and the Bills bring Tom Clements. The Bills offensive staff is clearly a better one because it includes legends like Sam Wyche and Jim McNally. As for the D, Marvin Lewis was a very trendy defensive coordinator at the time and Jerry Gray is approaching that status as this will probably be his final year as D-coordinator for the Bills if the D is great again because he will be a head coach. Tim Krumrie brings a ton of knowledge as our D-line coach and Don Blackmon has done a great job at LB coach.

Conclusion- Don't bet against the Bills in 2005, especially if Corey Simon wears the red, white, and blue. This defense could be a force to be reckoned with, the offense has great weapons and just needs Losman to be an adequate player a la Trent Dilfer. The coaching staffs are very similar but I like the Bills staff better than the 2000 Ravens because of depth, and the Bills player depth is on par or better.

I'm not saying the Bills will win the Super Bowl because football is not played on paper. However, if a few bounces go our way and players play to their potential, stopping the Bills in 2005 may be impossible. Thank you.
  • Konyeezie
    • Feb 2005

Re: How could you not want Corey Simon?

1) You overrate Simon A LOT

2) It's called thinking long term.

Comment

• indianabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. On one hand, I do think Simon is a little overrated and I am afraid we might overpay for him. I heard that his effort isn't always top notch and that he can be overly selfish and I noticed that he was in the Eagles' doghouse and might have lost some playing time to their other DT's. On the other hand, he would probably be a signifacant upgrade over our current options at DT, especially for the right price for us. We also have to consider that a lot of our key players (Moulds, Adams, Milloy, Vincent) are getting up in years. The future may very well be right now.

I think there are valid arguments for both sides of this discussion.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

There is no doubt that Simon would make the defense better. In the era of salary cap one must think of the reprocussions of taking on Simon's salary. DT is not one of the achilles heels of the team. Good things have been said about Edwards and Anderson. While Simon is better than both of them the money should be used elsewhere (Clements extension) to make the team better in the long run.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

I don't want him... We don't have the need or the money

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I trust TD- he has shown very good judgement in spending appropriately for the talent level.

If he deems Simon a good value, then I'm all for it. TD isn't one of these GMs who becomes enamored with a player and will do anything (overpay) to get him. He's very cold and objective in these matters.

Comment

• G. Host
              Banned
              • Jul 2002

Bills have too many free agents, not enough drafted players. We can not have free agents at all positions as much as Paul Allen tried; it just does not work in NFL with cap rules. I'd say pass on the expensive free agent and let Anderson have some game time.

Comment

Working...
              X