PDA

View Full Version : Gandy holds his own against old rival

The_Philster
08-06-2005, 04:40 AM
It was only a warmup, a chance for Mike Gandy to get reacquainted with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

In two weeks, the Buffalo Bills' new starting left tackle will have to take on Green Bay's premiere pass rusher in a preseason game when the Packers visit Ralph Wilson Stadium Aug. 20. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050806/SPORTS03/508060338/1007/SPORTS

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 04:53 AM
I like the optimism but in all honesty KGB is nothing special. He had 8 of his sacks in 2 games and the others usually come in garbage time.

Now, if he does this against say, an NFL elite like Dwight Freeney (who happens to be the next opponent), then I'll be excited.

Jan Reimers
08-06-2005, 05:02 AM
I love how almost no one can give Gandy any credit. When he more than holds his own, it's because KGB is just an average player?

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Well, I watched Schobel dominate Gandy in practice 3 days ago and I also read a report that said KGB (who is nothing special like I said) was getting the better of Gandy in the joint practice the teams had... that doesn't really bring out a lot of positive feelings. (and that doesn't include his injury history that worries me... continuity is most important on an OL)

Then a good 11 plays against a crappy player makes up for it?

I want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. If I see a hole that could prevent said goal then I am going to be upset because I love the team.

Do you not care how the LT position works out for us?

When it's all said and done I think I could easily see Teague to LT and Tucker/Preston to Center... and I'd be more comfortable with it as well.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 05:14 AM
But like I said, we play Freeney, at Indy on their fast turf next week... that will be a true test for Mike and will tell us a lot more about how his season may turn out.

That's a challenge. Not an indictment.
I think all Bills fans will be intrigued by this matchup.

Sportsuser101
08-06-2005, 05:22 AM
I like the optimism but in all honesty KGB is nothing special. He had 8 of his sacks in 2 games and the others usually come in garbage time.

Now, if he does this against say, an NFL elite like Dwight Freeney (who happens to be the next opponent), then I'll be excited. KGB had 8 sacks in 2 games? Really? Please point it out. Thanks. KGB had 13.5 sacks. 2.5 less then Freeney.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187542/gamelogs/2004

Keep quiet you're making yourself look foolish.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Please follow the TOS.

All 3 anouncers for the scrimmage stated that 8 of his sacks came in 2 games. Unfortunately I trusted them as professionals.

He is streaky nonetheless. 4 sacks in one game vs a guy in Chicago who is no longer starting, 2 vs Bryant McKinnie who is among the worst OT's in the NFL when it comes to sacks allowed, another 2 vs Texas' musical chair LT spot, and 2 more against crappy players.

Why can't I be concerned over my favorite team's LT? Don't you want to win?

I want to see him against Freeney.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I guess Jim McNally is a moron too since he has slowly been giving Teague some snaps at LT as camp has progressed.

Also, when asked about gandy staying at LT McNally said:
"You give him two or three preseason games," McNally said. "It depends on how well he plays, but he definitely deserves a fair shot."

not a ringing endorsement and he hasn't earned the job for sure yet.

and then there is this
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_22081098.shtml
"Gbaja-Biamila and second-year pro Cullen Jenkins stood out most for the Packers. Gbaja-Biamila dominated new Bills left tackle Mike Gandy, who couldn’t handle Gbaja-Biamila’s speed. Gbaja-Biamila beat Gandy badly on three of four snaps — one with an inside rush, and two around the edge."

If Gandy can't cut it I hope we can overcome it or somebody else steps up (peters shows flashes but is inconsistent)... or look at attaining Verba for a one year deal.

Jan Reimers
08-06-2005, 06:36 AM
But like I said, we play Freeney, at Indy on their fast turf next week... that will be a true test for Mike and will tell us a lot more about how his season may turn out.

That's a challenge. Not an indictment.
I think all Bills fans will be intrigued by this matchup.
And if Gandy gets beaten a few times by the premier pass rushing DE in the league - a guy who beats almost every LT like a rented mule - will he have to go to the bench?

Do you really think Trey Teague was - or is - a good LT? Is he dominating Schobel in practice when he gets his reps there? And you would put a rookie at center, paired with an inexperienced QB?

Perhaps we will have to make those moves, but for now, Gandy is playing well enough to preclude our going to a Chinese fire drill.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Damn, so much hostility.

Gandy probably will be beat on occasion by Freeney... the thing is, will he struggle mightily or at least show he is adequate enough to hold his own (and look better than any other option we have) in this league?

McNally will start the 5 best guys. For now he thinks he has them penciled in, but nothing is written in stone yet.

That fact alone has to cause some concern. The great teams know their starting 5 right now.

I'd love it if we managed to sign Verba to a one year deal or a 2-4 year deal with a small bonus. As the season gets closer the chances of that get better. I'd feel more comfortable, as would Losman and the rest of the team IMO. He's a tough cocky party animal... I like that in my lineman :D You need to be a little crazy to play that position.
It would be a better move for this team than Simon IMHO.

and if you disagree, just say so, no need to get aggressive or resort to name-calling... that's what people do when they don't have a real case.

TypicalBill
08-06-2005, 07:07 AM
And if Gandy gets beaten a few times by the premier pass rushing DE in the league - a guy who beats almost every LT like a rented mule - will he have to go to the bench?
I agree, we won't be facing a Freeney week in and week out. He's Probably the best pure pass rusher in the league. If the coaches feel Gandy should start then thats good enough for me. I was worried about the position with all the reports, but most of the things i've heard from the coaches sounds promising. KG has almost 50 sacks in 4 seasons not bad. Its not like he had 1 good year and got alot of sacks in one game that year.

2001 13.5

2002 12

2003 10

2004 13.5

made multiple pro-bowl appearances, he's not a one hit wonder so lets not try to say that KGB wasn't a challenge for Gandy,atleast lets give him credit. I'll be on his ass when he messes up but lets give him credit when he deserves it.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm going throgh the schedule and picking out the DE's that we face that are better than KGB

-Rice
-Kerney
-Grant/Howard/Smith
-Taylor x2
-Abraham x2
-Seymour x2
-Peppers (he'll be going vs Mike mostly but they will switch him around too)

Justin Smith is a better overall player and Shawne Merriman is and unknown really. Jared Allen flashed great potential.

This is why I want to see how Gandy fares against the best in the league.
Also, if we are to make the playoffs we could very well go against DF in a game.

I need to know if we can play with the best of the best.
In order to be the best you must beat the best.
I want us to be Super Bowl champions.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I guess Jim McNally is a moron too since he has slowly been giving Teague some snaps at LT as camp has progressed.

Also, when asked about gandy staying at LT McNally said:
"You give him two or three preseason games," McNally said. "It depends on how well he plays, but he definitely deserves a fair shot."

not a ringing endorsement and he hasn't earned the job for sure yet.

and then there is this
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_22081098.shtml
"Gbaja-Biamila and second-year pro Cullen Jenkins stood out most for the Packers. Gbaja-Biamila dominated new Bills left tackle Mike Gandy, who couldn’t handle Gbaja-Biamila’s speed. Gbaja-Biamila beat Gandy badly on three of four snaps — one with an inside rush, and two around the edge."

If Gandy can't cut it I hope we can overcome it or somebody else steps up (peters shows flashes but is inconsistent)... or look at attaining Verba for a one year deal.

That's not true. Gandy has been getting all the reps at camp and if he hasn't, then I have yet to see it myself. Gandy has been improving at camp too and impressed me last night. Unless you watched the scrimmage last night, you can't really say much. Because Gandy held his own and made some nice blocks for Losman and even one nice block for McGahee.

X-Era
08-06-2005, 07:50 AM
It was only a warmup, a chance for Mike Gandy to get reacquainted with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

In two weeks, the Buffalo Bills' new starting left tackle will have to take on Green Bay's premiere pass rusher in a preseason game when the Packers visit Ralph Wilson Stadium Aug. 20. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050806/SPORTS03/508060338/1007/SPORTS
Tell you what, forget all the KGB isnt a stud BS. That doesnt matter. All we should care about is how Gandy played and he did a great job. He is quick and athletic, was in position and several times McGahee ran his way. I really liked what I saw, the guy can play.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Tell you what, forget all the KGB isnt a stud BS. That doesnt matter. All we should care about is how Gandy played and he did a great job. He is quick and athletic, was in position and several times McGahee ran his way. I really liked what I saw, the guy can play.
Great post, man! :bf1:

:posrep: sent your way

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 08:06 AM
That's not true. Gandy has been getting all the reps at camp and if he hasn't, then I have yet to see it myself. Gandy has been improving at camp too and impressed me last night. Unless you watched the scrimmage last night, you can't really say much. Because Gandy held his own and made some nice blocks for Losman and even one nice block for McGahee.
I watched the scrimmage 3 times.

He had a good 18 plays.

I just want to see him have another good game, against a player like Freeney. Then I'll be pumped.

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 08:07 AM
McNally said that teague gets 4-5 snaps a practice at LT.

Michael82
08-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I watched the scrimmage 3 times.

He had a good 18 plays.

I just want to see him have another good game, against a player like Freeney. Then I'll be pumped.
Okay, that's better. :up:

:posrep:

Konyeezie
08-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Okay, that's better. :up:

:posrep:
THAT'S WHAT I SAID IN THE PREVIOUS POSTS TOO! JEEZ! :)

X-Era
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm going throgh the schedule and picking out the DE's that we face that are better than KGB

-Rice
-Kerney
-Grant/Howard/Smith
-Taylor x2
-Abraham x2
-Seymour x2
-Peppers (he'll be going vs Mike mostly but they will switch him around too)

Justin Smith is a better overall player and Shawne Merriman is and unknown really. Jared Allen flashed great potential.

This is why I want to see how Gandy fares against the best in the league.
Also, if we are to make the playoffs we could very well go against DF in a game.

I need to know if we can play with the best of the best.
In order to be the best you must beat the best.
I want us to be Super Bowl champions.
Now, I dont disagree with the Bills needing a true stud LT. I clamored for it big time at the start of the offseason. Apparently TD refused to pay Mike Williams type money for another T. Least thats what i heard. Cant blame him per say. And if Gandy works out, TD was right. But looking at our defending DE's in our division you could argue that you need a really good one. However, Bledsoe + Pace = OK, Scrambling Losman + Gandy= OK. So it may be a wash.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Gandy is under the same microscope as JP. He did a good job last night. Let's hope it goes from there. I'm actually feeling bad for this guy. He's workig hard and he's not an experiment like Peters who hasn't shown much. Overall the Bills looked pretty awesome last night!!

mysticsoto
08-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Y'know, if Gandy hadn't been able to handle KBG yesterday, people would be all over this board complaining about how he couldn't even handle an average DE in a scrimmage much less a real game. He does well, it gets pointed out, and all people can say is...well we need to see how he performs against a better DE. Let's just give him some credit. We were worried about him being terrible and he wasn't. In fact, I pointed out at the bar that not once did we talk or mention Gandy's name while watching the scrimmage. We all know that's a good thing when talking about O-linemen.

I did notice a few times where KGB used his speed to almost get around Gandy, and with the much better pocket presence that JP has over DB, all he did was step up and completely get out of his range. I know for a fact that DB would have panic'ed (sp ?) and took the ball down, tried to run (which he can't) and end up with a loss of yards.

And by the way, any LT may occasionally lose the battle against an elite DE - Just last year, JJ and Abraham each got the best of the other in separate games. So even if Gandy were to struggle somewhat against a Freeney, that would be normal. If he doesn't, then Gandy has achieved Orlando Pace status - and that's not something I'm expecting here...but I do worry that does appear to be what some other people seem to be expecting!

TigerJ
08-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I agree that the Gandy/Freeney matchup will be an interesting one next week. It would not surprise me at all to see Gandy struggle. But I would not be terribly discouraged either. As I've said elsewhere, Gandy, while he has played left tackle in the past, has most recently been playing guard. Blocking at guard is different. You have more protection. The people you're blocking may be bigger and stronger, but they are a lot slower. At tackle you have to block smaller, faster guys who have more room to get around you. I fully expect it's going to take Gandy the better part of preseason to get his techniques down, but I don't think that will mean he can't be successful this year.