PDA

View Full Version : A trade for Corey Simon...

Hammertime
08-06-2005, 09:00 AM
...and a massive salary looming, might have to include Eric Moulds. Would TD do such a thing?

My first post is apocolyptic in nature.

Jan Reimers
08-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Moulds is still a key component of our offense. At this point, I can't see a receiving corps of second-year man Evans (even though he is very good), rookie Parrish, inconsistent Josh Reed, and little used Sam Aiken and Freddie Smith. JP will need the veteran Moulds.

Besides, Edwards and Anderson are going to be fine at DT.

Iehoshua
08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
They can have Josh Reed or Sam Aiken.

Samphin1
08-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Isn't Moulds as good as gone after this year anyway? Corey Simon is very good. I would think though, if you traded Moulds for Simon, you would need to get a draft pick bakc as well, maybe like a third rounder, possibly a second.

Crisis
08-06-2005, 10:33 AM
No, we'd have the smallest WR core in the league. Reed, Evans, and Parrish are all short. Aiken is the only one with good size, and he hasn't been tested yet.

Dozerdog
08-06-2005, 10:59 AM
...and a massive salary looming, might have to include Eric Moulds. Would TD do such a thing?

My first post is apocolyptic in nature.

First off, WELCOME!! :welcome:

While not totally ridiculous -TD does have a knack of getting something back for players that most teams lose without compensation - I would doubt it for a couple of reasons.

1) According to Clump's Cap (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/07/21/training_camp_update_8205_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php)(If I am reading this right) Moulds' salary is only $1.5 Million, but because of Bonuses given to him in previous years, it would count $5.4 million to cut or trade him now.

2) JP needs all the help he can in his first year. Dumping Moulds leaves Evans (1 year) Reed, and Rookie Roscoe Parrish as the primary weapons. Aiken is no where near the calibre WR Moulds is.

3) If this trade happens, it will be for draft picks, maybe tossing in Reed at WR. We have an extra day 1 pick now.

The Bills with a Corey Simon and a re-signed Clements would be very tight vs the cap. It's not inconceivable TD uses the Bills' #1 pick on Simon, saving money vs the cap next season that would be used on signing the unproven rookie. You have to figure that Simon on this already sick Defense would help the Bills to at least a 10 win or more season, thus the pick would be in the 20's anyway. And it also looks like signing rookies has been very rough this and next year, with the CBA running out and teams don't have the abilities to streach bonus money as far. Thus all the holdouts in camps right now.

Plus, look at the Bills draft needs. Still a bit weak in the OL (LT) and next season is rich in LT prospects. If we spend our #1 on Simon, there should be good LT talent left in Rd 2 or 3 which we have 3 picks.

clumping platelets
08-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Moulds is still a key component of our offense. At this point, I can't see a receiving corps of second-year man Evans (even though he is very good), rookie Parrish, inconsistent Josh Reed, and little used Sam Aiken and Freddie Smith. JP will need the veteran Moulds.

Besides, Edwards and Anderson are going to be fine at DT.

:goodpost:

clumping platelets
08-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Trading Moulds results in acceleration of all remaining bonus amortization.

His 2005 cap number is $5,441,666

His remaining amortization is $9 million

That would results in an additional cap charge on 2005 of $3,558,334

However, it would free up nearly $11 million on 2006 cap and about $10 million on 2007 :tomato:

Bert102176
08-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Moulds isn't going anywhere

Bert102176
08-07-2005, 03:16 AM
wouldn't mind trading Reed and the 3rd we got from tennessee for Simon

clumping platelets
08-07-2005, 04:09 AM
wouldn't mind trading Reed and the 3rd we got from tennessee for Simon

Eagles agreed to a deal w/ Ravens just before the draft for Balt's 2nd & 3rd

We would need to offer more than Reed and a 3rd :(

I still prefer to give the money to Nate

indianabillsfan
08-07-2005, 05:41 AM
The Bills and Eagles front offices have both denied the report they have had discussions about Simon. There has been no contact at all and Banner, PHI's president, said that BUF was not one of the interested teams. Donahoe said there have not been any talks but he always keeps an open mind.

This is from a Philadelphia Inquirer story following up on the story in the Trenton Times that said BUF and PHI had discussed a trade for Simon that started all these rumors.

Bill Brasky
08-07-2005, 06:14 AM
If they get rid of Moulds in any way I would personally beat TD's ass.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2005, 06:18 AM
If they get rid of Moulds in any way I would personally beat TD's ass.
And I would sell the tickets to that event.

Sportsuser101
08-07-2005, 07:01 AM
And I would sell the tickets to that event.
I know some hot chicks that are always at a club i'm at.. they can cheerlead the event. :peace:

Michael82
08-07-2005, 09:04 AM

A 2nd and 3rd....but they realize now that they don't hold all the cards like they did before. They know because of Simon's wanted contract that they won't be able to get a 2nd and a 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills were able to get Simon for Reed and A 3rd. It would be a good trade. :up:

Michael82
08-07-2005, 09:05 AM
The Bills and Eagles front offices have both denied the report they have had discussions about Simon. There has been no contact at all and Banner, PHI's president, said that BUF was not one of the interested teams. Donahoe said there have not been any talks but he always keeps an open mind.

This is from a Philadelphia Inquirer story following up on the story in the Trenton Times that said BUF and PHI had discussed a trade for Simon that started all these rumors.
So what. TD denies everything, even when he is talking to teams or players. It's his MO. He would never publicly say that he was interested in Simon, unless he really wasn't. :snicker:

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
I think this is a non- story.

TD's track record is to stay away from these kinds of guys.

Simon actualy had two trades nullified because of contract demands- the Ravens and the Bengals. Time to move on.

McGahee420
08-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Both clubs are denying the reports today...not sure if everyone knew that.

www.billsdaily.com (http://www.billsdaily.com)

ShadowHawk7
08-07-2005, 08:58 PM

So would I. I'd give a 2nd rounder plus Reed for Simon though.

Typ0
08-07-2005, 09:07 PM
if EM has a big season...I can see him being traded next off season...but I don't see it happening now.

colin
08-08-2005, 08:30 AM
moulds CANNOT stay on this team over the next 2 years with those cap numbers, so there is a possibility.

i'd like to see an extention and overall reduction for eric, perhaps a longer back loaded job he can retire into. don't want to see him go, but that contract is just too big.

on the other hand, if he pulls a jimmy smith and has his best years over the next 3, it would be great to have a top 5 WR on our team again (IMO moulds has dropped off).

i'd rather have moulds at his best and get some good young line talent in than sign simons and have to cut moulds, not to mention having enough to sign mcgahee and clements.

clumping platelets
08-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Trading Moulds results in acceleration of all remaining bonus amortization.

His 2005 cap number is $5,441,666

His remaining amortization is $9 million

That would results in an additional cap charge on 2005 of $3,558,334

However, it would free up nearly $11 million on 2006 cap and about $10 million on 2007 :tomato:

Bills would have to open up this much cap space just to trade Moulds then open up enough cap space to sign Simon

Not going to happen