PDA

View Full Version : My regular season awards

4thAndLong
12-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Stupidest play - Dwayne Rudd...Throwing helmet off and costing his team the game against the Chiefs on opening week. http://www.brownstng.com/images/profile_images/action_shots/rudd02.jpg

Best play - Dantzler's return...He broke atleast 6 tackles than did that little thing on the sidelines to return the punt for a score.

Best trade - Saints and Dolphins...2 1st rounders for Ricky Williams. Great move for both sides. The saints have up-and-coming Duece McAlister and now have had 2 1st rounders from the Dolphins. We have yet to see how these picks will pan out...But both clubs got a good deal.

Worst stadium - Veteran Stadium...Who actually likes the place? "If the Eagles dont kill ya, the turf will."

Best stadium - The brand new, gorgeous, Reliant Stadium...First retractable stadium...this place has everything. It's a facility, not a stadium.

Best coach - Andy Reid...Losing QBs and getting homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with a 3rd string QB and without your best player.

Biggest Disappointment - Miami Dolphins...All their fans thought they were going to win the SB...Not qualifying for the playoffs is a huge disappointment

Biggest Surprise - Tom Brady...I thought this kid was a 1 year wonder...He can throw screen passes better than anyone in the game...Has great instincts.

Most overrared player - Terrell Owens...Yeah, go play with those pom-poms. Football isn't your own party where you can advertise sharpies.

Most underrated player - Marvin Harrison...He sets NFL record for receptions...Keeps his mouth shut, and players like TO get more national attention than him.

iceblizzard69
12-30-2002, 06:52 PM
I can't say I disagree with a single one of your choices, except for biggest surprise and most overrated. I think the biggest surprise was Chad Pennington, I thought he was a bust because it took him so long to get off the bench. Steve McNair's great play was also a huge surprise. I think most overrated is Daunte Culpepper, lots of people thought he was good and he sucked until the last few weeks of the season. The biggest disapointment is easily the Dolphins, their performance was pathetic and as a Dolphins fan this was the best roster they have ever had since I was born (I am still in High School so I haven't been around too long) and the fact that they didn't make the playoffs is sad, espicially when they made it the last 5 years with rosters that were a lot worse.

iceblizzard69
12-30-2002, 06:54 PM
As for the Saints-Dolphins trade, it was a great deal for both sides. I don't mind losing two first rounders (our first rounders usually suck, and we usually make good picks after that round) for a guy who rushes for 1800+ yards. The Saints fans seem to really like the guy they got with the first pick, DE Charles Grant. He doesn't start but they think he will be something special. They get the 18th pick I believe from the Dolphins in the next draft. They can really improve their dreadful defense with their two first rounders.

SABURZFAN
12-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I think the biggest surprise was Chad Pennington

i have to agree with that one.the kid showed a lot of poise.

everything else looked good though 4th.Veteran Stadium is gone for good after this year if i'm not mistaken.

iceblizzard69
12-30-2002, 07:02 PM
Yup, this is the last year for the Vet. I believe the Phillies will be playing in the new stadium this April! I think they are still going to share a stadium, hopefully its a lot better then the Vet.

DIHARD2
12-31-2002, 04:59 AM
4th, I agree with everything except, I to believe that Chad Pennington, was the biggest surprise. It seemed like, the whole team took his energy. He is actually fun to watch.

I could have sworn that a couple of times when he made completions on a long ball, it seemed as though he was padding the backs of the receivers who caught the ball, before they even caught it! The guy was nothing but energy every game I watched him in, he definitely is the leader of Jets.

They are the team I'm rooting for!!! Hopefully, they will have more class if they do win the Super Bowl, then fans of a flying elf.

I have never been more disgusted in the fans of any team, than I am in those from the New England Patriots. I really felt bad that I rooted for them to win. I am totally disgusted in their lack of class.

The New England Patriots will always have an * in front of their title, so its the New England Patriots *** world champion.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

WG
12-31-2002, 05:13 AM
Great Selections 4th!

I kinda liked that sharpie thing tho. I think the NFL needs to loosen up a tad. Gotta give Owens credit for finding the loopholes in the rules however. Maybe he'll be an attorney when he leaves the league.

TedMock
12-31-2002, 08:37 AM
I agree with most of your picks. The only question I have is; Who can't throw a screen pass? I thik Brady is the most overrated player in Football.

itsandthings
12-31-2002, 09:58 AM
If you think Brady is the most overrated in the NFL you are a no-nothing. As a 25-year old, 2nd-year starter, he has performed amazingly well (why aren't his age and lack of experience taken into account?). Do you really think he would have been able to accomplish all he has these last couple seasons if all he could do was throw screen passes? His mechanics are among the best, his game-management is unparalleled and he has already established himself as a team leader at the age of 25. His career record as a starter is 23-9, a .719 win% which is among the best in the NFL. People criticize him for throwing short a lot, but what do they expect? The Pats don't have guys like Eric Moulds or Marvin Harrison to throw downfield to, so he executes the offense he is given and gives his team a chance to win.

There is little question this past season was a rough one for Brady and the Pats. Injuries to Troy Brown, Deion Branch and Dan Graham didn't help, and only 2 OL started all year, with the other 3 OL being juggled due to injury issues. Brady's production tailed off dramatically late in the year with the injuries, but he still managed to lead his team to a 5-3 record in the 2nd half thanks to his not making critical errors.

Look at the offensive talent he has around him: No running game, no big-play receiver, mediocre OL. Yet, he managed to throw for 3700 yards and 28 TDs. You may not like him, but Brady has shown he can perform in the clutch. He has already led the Pats to 5 comeback victories in the last 2 seasons when they were trailing by double-digits entering the 4th quarter, and is 5-0 in overtime games. If the Pats can find a big-play RB or WR to pair with Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Patten and Dan Graham, Brady will have a bust out season next year.

Steve Young said it best last week on ESPN, no QB has done more with less this year than Brady.

That said, Pennington is my biggest surprise. I am not necessarily surprised he has done well, but he is playing out of his skull. He has had an amazing first season, and is the biggest reason the Jets have been able to turn things around.

As an aside, I am surprised by some fans (not just of Buffalo, but all teams) who cannot admit a player is good just because they don't like him or the team he plays for. I am not a Bills fan, but I can admire their good players. Travis Henry impressed the heck out of me this year, and I think he is the real deal. I think Eric Moulds doesn't get enough props as one of the best WR in the NFL. I am not foolish enough to deny

I agree with all your other selections, good job.

Ebenezer
12-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Excellent posts and excellent thread...i do agree with the masses about Pennington.