PDA

View Full Version : Jets/Law

juice
08-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Does Ty Law going to the Jets give NY the upper hand as the favorite to de-throne NE in the AFC-E - if there is a team who can beat NE in our division the addition of TL might have put GangGreen a step closer to being the top competitor in the East.

The strength of their DL, Vilma a year of experience in Herms system, and now a true lockdown Corner might be the X-Factor in slowing the Brady/Bellichik unstoppable machine which has ruled the East for the past half decade.

The Bills have the Defense to compete but alot of question marks on the Offensive line and at the QB position - plus the Bills seem to be a pass rush away from putting sufficient pressure on Brady to prevent him from finding creases in the secondary. The Jets have to be considered the top contender to dethrone the Pats in the East.

www.nydailynews.com/front/story/334882p-286092c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/334882p-286092c.html)

Sportsuser101
08-06-2005, 06:18 PM
We were tied for 3rd in sacks last year. Not sure how we are 1 pass rusher away from getting to Brady.

JD
08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
We were tied for 3rd in sacks last year. Not sure how we are 1 pass rusher away from getting to Brady.
Lol, I know what a joke!

juice
08-06-2005, 06:24 PM
We were tied for 3rd in sacks last year. Not sure how we are 1 pass rusher away from getting to Brady.Ask yourself one question "Who's the starting LDE for the Bills" and you'll probably see who that 1 player is, or another question might be "How many times did we get to Brady last year"

Piling up sacks against sub-par non-conference teams isn't very effective in winning the Division or getting this team into the Playoffs.

juice
08-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Lol, I know what a joke!Here's a riddle for you Sabre "When does 9-7 get you into the playoffs?" Answer "When you in the NFC"

Unfortunatly the Bills aren't in the NFC and last year didn't have a Pro Bowl caliber DE on the team.

Sportsuser101
08-06-2005, 06:34 PM
You don't know who's our starting LDE? Schobel has proven that he is a top DE. Adams has proven that he is a top DT. Kelsay and Edwards are going to prove how good they are this year. #s don't lie. I'm guessing you're going to ignore all the other teams that got sacks against bad teams right?

juice
08-06-2005, 06:42 PM
You don't know who's our starting LDE? Schobel has proven that he is a top DE. Adams has proven that he is a top DT. Kelsay and Edwards are going to prove how good they are this year. #s don't lie. I'm guessing you're going to ignore all the other teams that got sacks against bad teams right?Schobel was OK against non-divisional teams but against AFC-E opponents he was average at best.

Edwards in an unknown factor and Kelsay has been trying to prove that he belongs in the starting lineup for a couple of years but continues to get beaten out by Denny.

Obviously you dont know what quality DE play is and Adams role isn't to put pressure on the QB.. are you suggesting that our DL is as good as the Jets?

If Schobel was a top DE he would have at least got an honorable mention for the Pro-Bowl last year.. Schobel isn't even a top DE in our division much less the Conference.

Shasta McNasty
08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Ask yourself one question "Who's the starting LDE for the Bills" and you'll probably see who that 1 player is, or another question might be "How many times did we get to Brady last year"

Piling up sacks against sub-par non-conference teams isn't very effective in winning the Division or getting this team into the Playoffs.

Give Kelsay a chance this year. He really improved in the second half of the season, when he began to take more time from Denney. I think Denney was a bad draft pick.

camelcowboy
08-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Jets have questions about their right tackle spot, blocking tight end, and QB. Im not convinced Pennington is going to be 100% by opening weekend. I think the Jets are going to miss Becht more then they are willing to let on, Mckienze going to the giants gives them a hudge hole to fill on the line. Not to mention the loss of Ferguson at DT, and injury concerns at the safety postions. Law even if healthy, doesn't tip the power scale much at all.

Sportsuser101
08-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Honestly man after your last comments and I'm not trying to bring you down but I don't think you watch the Bills too often.

camelcowboy
08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Honestly man after your last comments and I'm not trying to bring you down but I don't think you watch the Bills too often.
Watch the bills all the time, my point was every team has weakness. I just think the bills aren't any farther away then the Jets. I think New England has been knocked down a peg, with the cordinators being gone, and problems at linebacker.

juice
08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Honestly man after your last comments and I'm not trying to bring you down but I don't think you watch the Bills too often.Your not "Bringing me down" your the one who thinks that Schobel is a top DE in this League when in fact he's not even top 5 in the AFC-E.

Are you sure your not getting Schobels' play confused with some of the Easts' better DE such as J. Taylor or Ellis or Abraham not to mention he couldn't hold the jock strap of any of the DEs in NE.

In fact the weak point of the Bills defense is the lack of a CONSISTENT pass rush from the DE position.

Schobel got a fat contract last year and went on to have an average season at best, I disagree with you, Numbers do lie when you tend to be ineffective against Divisional opponents and lack CONSISTENCY.

Have you watched a Bills game as of late?

Mahdi
08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Actually the Bills do lack a consistent pass rush. The only reason we were tied for 3rd last year in sacks was constant blitzing. The DE's had nothing to do with it. Now when you blitz Brady there are 2 problems, 1) they pick up blitzers well. 2) Brady will usually find the area that was exposed to to the blitz. If the Bills could get pressure on the QB from the DE spot more often we would have an unstoppable D. But then again you cant have a pro-bowler at every position, especially these days under the cap.

ParanoidAndroid
08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Actually the Bills do lack a consistent pass rush. The only reason we were tied for 3rd last year in sacks was constant blitzing. The DE's had nothing to do with it. Now when you blitz Brady there are 2 problems, 1) they pick up blitzers well. 2) Brady will usually find the area that was exposed to to the blitz. If the Bills could get pressure on the QB from the DE spot more often we would have an unstoppable D. But then again you cant have a pro-bowler at every position, especially these days under the cap.
You're right.

A guy like Freeney would make the Bills' defense one of the best ever assembled but it's just too damn expensive. As it is, I think we have a good formula going. Our defense is doing its job. The only thing that will put the Bills at the elite level is an offense that can score at least 17 points a game. That's all they need. It means they start last season 3-1 instead of 0-4 and finish 12-4.

juice
08-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Back on topic..

Since the Jets possess the solid pass rushing DEs that are needed in the AFC-E to get to Brady (that the Bills clearly lack), a solid group of LBers led by (ROY) Vilma, and now a true lockdown CB and leader in the secondary in Law, does that give their Defense the balance it needs to slow the Brady Bunch.

Law will bring knowledge that will help the Jets defense to gameplan against the Pats Offense and NY has enough firepower on the Offensive side of the ball to put up points against the Pats Defense that has lost some key players during the off-season.

Except our DEs lack of pass rushing I think the Bills match up with the Pats Offense well especially when the experience of LM and TV is factored in, but on Offense the Bills will need to get some solid play from the LT and LG positions to give JPL the time to deliver the ball, and between Gandy and Anderson protecting his blindside I just don't see that happening as of now and the way the O-Line looks and due to growing pains that JP will have to endure.

The Jets have balance on the Offensive side of the ball with Martin and Penny and have to be seen as the favorite to unseat the Pats in the East.. Law gives them the balance on the defensive side of the ball - they look to be the most complete team as of right now.

Ickybaluky
08-06-2005, 11:51 PM
The Jets have balance on the Offensive side of the ball with Martin and Penny and have to be seen as the favorite to unseat the Pats in the East.. Law gives them the balance on the defensive side of the ball - they look to be the most complete team as of right now.

Pressure from the outside is only meaningful if the middle of the pocket is collapsed, otherwise the QB will just step up in the pocket and deliver the ball. right now, Dwayne Robertson is the only decent interior player the Jets have. After that it is Lance Legree, James Reed and rookie Sione Pouha. I think Buffalo has a big edge there.

At any rate, really the key to the Pats offense is balance. Corey Dillon added a whole new dimension to the Pats, and you can't tee off on Brady if you are being gashed by the run. The Pats almost always have a lead, which means they never lose balance in their offense. If you want to beat them, either the Bills or the Jets, then Dillon must be stopped and the Pats have to get behind. Then Brady will feel the pass rush like any QB will.

I can't overstate how much better Dillon makes the Pats offense. In his two games against the Jets he ran 51 times for 204 yards (4.0 ypc). In his two games against the Bills he ran 45 times for 230 yards (5.1 ypc). That is controlling the football game, and until you stop him you can't talk about matching up.

That said, I think the Bills defense is still superior to the Jets, even after Law signs. The Jets are good, but they have more holes in the secondary. Plus, you are making the assumption that Law will come back and be the same player post-injury.

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I hope Law signs in the division- he will be a cap resource hog

ublinkwescore
08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Ty Law is only one man on a team that I think we had their number last year moreso then what they had ours (we had the game at Giants stadium in our pockets but left them too much time on the clock).

I think this (in conjunction with the LB position hurting for them and the two coordinators being gone) just hurts NE more significantly then it helps the Jets.

So what if Ty Law is one of the best CBs in the league - he's still human and can get hurt or make mistakes like everyone else.

I think, make that KNOW our team will be better out of the gate (than last year) and it's a blessing that we get to start with the Texans because that will for all intents and purposes almost be like a 5th preseason game for us that we will be playing to win. And it's certainly going to be a big help that we don't have to play the Jets until like the middle of the season at the earliest if I'm not mistaken because Ty Law would be salivating at two shots at a virtual rookie QB.

I'm not worried about the Texans' knack for winning their openers (except for last year) either because I think we'll come out hungry enough to not be caught off guard by them the way we were against pittsburgh (I don't know why I brought that up - the reason we ultimately lost that game is no longer on our roster).

ublinkwescore
08-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I hope Law signs in the division- he will be a cap resource hog

And Nate Clements isn't?

SyraBillsLican
08-07-2005, 01:35 AM
I really, for the life of me, can't understand why the Jets are getting so much hype about their team more than the Bills. Given, they made the play-offs last year as a wild card (though wouldn't have if the Bills didn't lose the last game) and won in the first round (though wouldn't have if the kicker didn't miss that field goal), But they don't deserve all of this attention and the Jets fans, as usual, are out of thier minds if they think that the Jets have even a smidgen of hope of ever winning the division. Here is why the Bills are not only better than the Jets, but why they will go to their 5th Super Bowl, THIS YEAR.

I will make a comparison between the '00 Ravens and the '02 Bucaneers(stupid spelling), which i think the Bills are identical to.

First things first, the Bills Defense is better than both of these defenses. Not only were the Bills #2 in yards allowed, but they were #1 in turnovers and tied for #3 in sacks. the point total for the Defense takes into account that the Bills scored many many many more times than either of the 00 and 02 SB winners and therefore gave the opposing teams more chances to find a miniscule mistake that the Bills might make. Those who criticise the Bills D-line, i call into question whether these people understand that the Bills had a #2 pass defense in the league, and that's with the Bills "only being able to get sacks by blitzing", so obviously they can get the QB and defend the pass better than all but one, and that one defense's rank is so high probably because the opposing offense found it much easier to run and didn't try to pass. Bills' LB's are gods. nough said. WOW is what i say everytime i think of their DB's also.

The Bills have a much better special teams than either of those teams also. 5 and 9/10 returns for TDs (dont forget about fast freddy's return to the like 3 yard line) and Moorman's ability to destroy all.

Now on to the Bills "weak point" Offense. i will also point out that this was also the weak point on the other SB teams. However, the Running game is not to be considered so. the bills offensive line is a mauling one built for running while McGahee is at least as good as Lewis was and much better than whoever was running for TB. alsott and ?.

The passing game. im excited for this. JP Losman, when his running ability taken into account, is an equal match for Dilfer, and hes only in his second year. an o-line doesnt have to protect him so often when one realizes that half the time, they'll be run blocking and another quarter of the time, JP will be rolling out, play-actioning or screening to McGahee. The recieving corps for the Bills is 2000 times better than the ravens and bucs corps combined. MOULDS is still amazing while Evans will be sprinting after the ball rifled from losmans "rifle of an arm" as will parish while Reed finds an opening in the zone as the best #4 WR in the league and who i think will have a break out year this year. Campell is under-rated as a pass recieving TE. does anyone remember the 3 TD game in Seattle or that insane seam play of his? what else? Shelton is being praised as god for his run blocking abilities.

I believe i have stated my case quite well, don't you?

GO BILLS

vicmantak
08-07-2005, 03:01 AM
Does Ty Law going to the Jets give NY the upper hand as the favorite to de-throne NE in the AFC-E?

Very probably not but... NY has showed us that they really know how to find true talent at CB...

On the other hand, it's really pleasant to know that Law didn't re-signed with the Patriots.

The_Philster
08-07-2005, 06:13 AM
And Nate Clements isn't?Right now he isn't. And besides, look at the age difference. If I had to spend big money on a CB, I'd rather spend it on someone who's entering the prime of his career, not the twilight like Law is

juice
08-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Pressure from the outside is only meaningful if the middle of the pocket is collapsed, otherwise the QB will just step up in the pocket and deliver the ball. right now, Dwayne Robertson is the only decent interior player the Jets have. After that it is Lance Legree, James Reed and rookie Sione Pouha. I think Buffalo has a big edge there.

At any rate, really the key to the Pats offense is balance. Corey Dillon added a whole new dimension to the Pats, and you can't tee off on Brady if you are being gashed by the run. The Pats almost always have a lead, which means they never lose balance in their offense. If you want to beat them, either the Bills or the Jets, then Dillon must be stopped and the Pats have to get behind. Then Brady will feel the pass rush like any QB will.

I can't overstate how much better Dillon makes the Pats offense. In his two games against the Jets he ran 51 times for 204 yards (4.0 ypc). In his two games against the Bills he ran 45 times for 230 yards (5.1 ypc). That is controlling the football game, and until you stop him you can't talk about matching up.

That said, I think the Bills defense is still superior to the Jets, even after Law signs. The Jets are good, but they have more holes in the secondary. Plus, you are making the assumption that Law will come back and be the same player post-injury.Good post NE..

I would have to disagree that Buffalo has the "Big Advantage" up front, if Robertson is the only decent player the Jets have up front then Adams is the only desent player the Bills have on the interior line with Edwards being a totally unknown factor up front - the ability to bring pressure from two different points of attack that NY has with Abraham & Ellis, both of whom can rush the QB in their own right, combined with blitzing LBers and schemes, can cover for the missing middle presence (alot like Buffalo did last year to mask the lack of a consistent DE rush last year).

When it comes to controlling Dillon, I agree that the Bills have the depth advantage at the LBer position with Fletch and Spikes but that will only be effective if they don't have to constantly come on blitzes and our DEs can step up and bring the pressure that was absent last season at the position.

I think the presence of Milloy and Vincent will also have to factor into that equation LM solidifies the run support and TV dropping into coverage to take the pressure off of our Corners when they have to gamble to make a play on the ball.. Nate and Terrance could be one of the top playmaking Corner combos in football this year. Last year the injuries in our secondary allowed opponents such as NE to pick and choose their points of attack in both the long and short passing games.

I agree that the Bills defense is superior with more talent at more positions but Law brings to the Jets the knowledge of NEs' offensive tendancies from last season.. with the questions on the Bills Offensive side of the ball I'd give the overall advantage to NY with last years rushing champion and a healthy Pennington.

Until there is proof that the injury to Law has caused him to lose a step I'd have to assume that his injury has fully healed during the offseason and he will return to the Pro Bowl level of play that he was at pre-injury.

Drive 4 Five
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Does Ty Law going to the Jets give NY the upper hand as the favorite to de-throne NE in the AFC-E?

Very probably not but... NY has showed us that they really know how to find true talent at CB...

On the other hand, it's really pleasant to know that Law didn't re-signed with the Patriots.

Yes as far as the media would be concerned, BUT the media isn't going to win you any football games, and I think we will challenge NE for the sacred division title, not the Jets.

I don't see how you can have the No.2 ranked defense in the league and STILL have people complaining about weaknesses on that unit. EVERY single team in the league has problems. The salary of some of these players has dicated that. You are not going to have a stud at every single position. Like NE39 said, there is a whole lot more to beating the Patriots than the pressure the DE is able to apply. We know what our defense can and can't do...

As for offense, the uncertainty? Man we're loaded. I think most of us are too damn conservative (or modest) to admit it, but we are going to be a damn good football team and I ****ing am willing to bet anyone that Losman has a better season than Drew Bledsoe and I say the Bills make the playoff this year.

bledslow
08-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Back on topic..

Since the Jets possess the solid pass rushing DEs that are needed in the AFC-E to get to Brady (that the Bills clearly lack), a solid group of LBers led by (ROY) Vilma, and now a true lockdown CB and leader in the secondary in Law, does that give their Defense the balance it needs to slow the Brady Bunch.

Law will bring knowledge that will help the Jets defense to gameplan against the Pats Offense and NY has enough firepower on the Offensive side of the ball to put up points against the Pats Defense that has lost some key players during the off-season.

Except our DEs lack of pass rushing I think the Bills match up with the Pats Offense well especially when the experience of LM and TV is factored in, but on Offense the Bills will need to get some solid play from the LT and LG positions to give JPL the time to deliver the ball, and between Gandy and Anderson protecting his blindside I just don't see that happening as of now and the way the O-Line looks and due to growing pains that JP will have to endure.

is law still a shutdown corner??? he wasnt last year in the 6 games he did play before his injury. now he is another year older coming off a major injury. to show you how important hewas to the pats,they won it all without him,and it wasnt even close.

bledslow
08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes as far as the media would be concerned, BUT the media isn't going to win you any football games, and I think we will challenge NE for the sacred division title, not the Jets.

I don't see how you can have the No.2 ranked defense in the league and STILL have people complaining about weaknesses on that unit. EVERY single team in the league has problems. The salary of some of these players has dicated that. You are not going to have a stud at every single position. Like NE39 said, there is a whole lot more to beating the Patriots than the pressure the DE is able to apply. We know what our defense can and can't do...

As for offense, the uncertainty? Man we're loaded. I think most of us are too damn conservative (or modest) to admit it, but we are going to be a damn good football team and I ****ing am willing to bet anyone that Losman has a better season than Drew Bledsoe and I say the Bills make the playoff this year.

id say delusional,as much as drew s_u_c_k_e_d last year. theres no way jp has a better year then drew did.icant possibly see jp throwing for 20 td's like drew did.i dont see jp having more td's then int's either. i also see him with a pass completion percentage in the low 50's. he might even get benched for holmcrum(sp).

Drive 4 Five
08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
id say delusional,as much as drew s_u_c_k_e_d last year. theres no way jp has a better year then drew did.icant possibly see jp throwing for 20 td's like drew did.i dont see jp having more td's then int's either. i also see him with a pass completion percentage in the low 50's. he might even get benched for holmcrum(sp).

I'm delusional? You're obviously an idiot and I say put your money where your mouth is. I ain't talking zone bucks.

camelcowboy
08-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm delusional? You're obviously an idiot and I say put your money where your mouth is. I ain't talking zone bucks.
He doesn't have the balls.

zone
08-07-2005, 06:28 PM
The Bills were the #2 D in the league last year and gave up an average of 40 fewer yards a game than the Jets they were 7th and Law will not help them jump 5 spots with knowledge of game plans from a OC that is no longer with the team. We are still the #1 threat.

colin
08-07-2005, 07:48 PM
we will be undone by injuries to our key guys on D, last year we lost a game or two because of lawyer and vincent being out. granted, they were hurt for a long time, but we don't want any of our top guys going down.

i think our Dline is better this year than last, sam is the same, schoble is good but needs to play at a high level all the time, and kelsey edwards and denny playing to stay on the team and become full time starters makes them better (also denny and kelsey are going into their 4th and 3rd years).

as long as we stay healthy, our D is better than the Raves.

If law was healthy, we would have won 2 or so more games, the raiders and jags games were ours to win a few times over.

i think we are going to have a baltimore ravens 2k season, but with a bit more excitement on O and special teams

Ickybaluky
08-10-2005, 05:56 AM
if Robertson is the only decent player the Jets have up front

Now it looks like Robertson has bad knees (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/335908p-286926c.html).

DT is going to be an issue for the Jets.

Meathead
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I ****ing am willing to bet anyone that Losman has a better season than Drew Bledsoe.
I'm all-in.