PDA

View Full Version : If we were going to sign anybody to a huge contract

chernobylwraiths
08-06-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess I would like to sign somebody like Joe Thorton. He is a bit of a loose cannon, but if he can learn to control his temper, he is the force that Buffalo could embrace.

Turf
08-06-2005, 08:44 PM
That's who I wish they'd throw their wad at. Give him his 6-7 million and be over it already.

Don Cherry
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
He is a Restricted FA.

He has already rejected a 5 year $25 million deal. Looking for $6-7 Million, probably for at least 5 years- or until he hits the UFA age.

If he were to be signed by Buffalo- they would have to give up at least 4 first round draft picks.

From ESPN

Here is the official free agents list as released by the NHL after the free agency period began at noon ET on Monday. <!---------------------INLINE TABLE (BEGIN)---------------------><TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=225 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" colSpan=2>GROUP II COMPENSATION</TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #999999" vAlign=top><TD width='style="background-color:#999999;"'>OFFER</TD><TD width='style="background-color:#999999;"'>COMPENSATION</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>$660,000 or below </TD><TD>None </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Over $660,000-$1 million </TD><TD>3rd-round choice </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Over $1M-$2M </TD><TD>2nd-round choice </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Over $2M-$3M </TD><TD>1st-round choice and 3rd-round choice </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Over $3M-$4M </TD><TD>1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-round choices </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Over $4M-$5M </TD><TD>Two 1st-round choices, one 2nd- and one 3rd-round choice </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Over $5 million </TD><TD>Four 1st-round choices </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------INLINE TABLE (END)--------------------->

Group II Free Agents
The most restrictive of all groups. Should a Group II free agent sign an offer sheet from another team, the team that owns his rights has the option of matching the offer or receiving compensation in the form of draft picks from the new team. Draft choice compensation is based on the amount offered by the new club. Original clubs must tender a qualifying offer, a minimum amount based on the player's previous salary, to qualify for matching rights and compensation.

Qualifying age/experience: Group II free agents are players 30 and younger as of June 30 who have been tendered qualifying offers by their teams.

Don Cherry
08-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Now if Boston can't get him to agree long term- then the Bruins will field offers- be ready to give up Vanek, Tallinder, & Biron for starters

SabreEleven
08-06-2005, 09:59 PM
And they probably wouldn't want to send him to a division rival. Just like the Flyers sent Roenick to the west coast

Canadian'eh!
08-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Now if Boston can't get him to agree long term- then the Bruins will field offers- be ready to give up Vanek, Tallinder, & Biron for starters
Their goalie was rookie of the year.... what would they want the very average Biron for? I think you need to start with names like Drury, Afinaganov and Conolley.

Not to mention the divsional problem.

not happening.

chernobylwraiths
08-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Forgot he was a RFA.

Don Cherry
08-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Their goalie was rookie of the year.... what would they want the very average Biron for? I think you need to start with names like Drury, Afinaganov and Conolley.

not happening.
Raycroft isn't going to play 70 plus games. Felix Potvin is a Free agent. They will want a veteran presence between the pipes who can give them 35-40 games- Biron might be too expensive (Nooronen maybe a better fit) - but the point is- he will cost the Sabres a lot of their top talent .

I'm sure Chris Drury would be high on their list.

Turf
08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Raycroft isn't going to play 70 plus games. Felix Potvin is a Free agent. They will want a veteran presence between the pipes who can give them 35-40 games- Biron might be too expensive (Nooronen maybe a better fit) - but the point is- he will cost the Sabres a lot of their top talent .

I'm sure Chris Drury would be high on their list.

Whens the last first round pick we had that panned out. I say go for him, he's worth it.

pyrrhonist
08-07-2005, 01:05 AM
There aren't many players worth that many draft picks.

If we want Darcy to throw some solid money at a player, we need him to bid for Hamrlik. IMO, we still need another blueliner on this squad. I haven't even heard Hamrlik talked about at all. He's no Niedermayer or Foote, but he is a decent mix of defense with offense.

Also, another solid scoring winger is needed on this team, to replace Satan (Keep that Vanek gibberish down...he's going to be good, but let's not expect 41 goals in his first year at the NHL level). He's a bit older, but what about Peter Bondra? Or, since I believe he should be paid less for his crappy past 3 years, what about Teemu? Perhaps with the "new" NHL atmosphere, he can return to his old 76-goal form?

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 10:38 AM
How about getting Mogilny back??

Myers57
08-07-2005, 10:42 AM
That would be pretty sweet and word has it he is still available...

Crisis
08-07-2005, 10:43 AM

not happening.
I'll personally drive Connelly to the airport.

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I'll personally drive Connelly to the airport.

I'll pay for his ticket.

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 10:47 AM

not happening.I think the whole thing behind trading Thornton would be the Bruins would want GOOD players- They will set the price- not someone trying to dump garbage.

Drury is a start, but they wold want a lot more

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
The only way you get Thornton on the cheap is if he signs the one year tender for RFA's-(becoming an UFA next year) then the Bruins deal him mid season.

Doubtful the Bruins would do it though

Crisis
08-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Aren't Vinny LeCav and St. Louis FAs next year?

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Sergai Samsanov, Lecavilier, and St Louis are all in the same boat as Thornton

pyrrhonist
08-07-2005, 12:18 PM

He's got an injury problem, from last I remember.

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 12:24 PM

He was a head case. I don't miss him.

Canadian'eh!
08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
I think the whole thing behind trading Thornton would be the Bruins would want GOOD players- They will set the price- not someone trying to dump garbage.

Drury is a start, but they wold want a lot more
Let me rephrase. There is NO ONE on the Sabres that would be good enough for the Bruins to trade Thornton for.

Raycroft IS going to give them 60-65 games, and is their clear #1 starter. They may need a backup, but there are plenty out there.

Drury is a descent player, I never thought he was great. He seems to be able to score some big goals, but sint' consistent enough to be a star. Throw in Afinoganov and JP Dumont and they might not hang up on you.

But If they were going to trade Joe, there would be a LOT of non-division rivals with way more to offer.

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe some teams will be waiting for Boston to use up their cap (Sindin is notoriously cheap) and then a team could sign Thorton to a cap killing contract thus forcing Boston to make a decision. Then they can deal from a position of more strength.

BuffaloRanger
08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
No team is going to give up 4 1st rounders for a player.

As far as trades go...The Bruins will want more than the sabres have. Thorton is a legitimate perennial all star. The sabres have zero all stars to give up. Look at what the Blues got for Pronger. They dumped salary and got Brewer who is better than any Sabres Dman (Z included). Bruins would want at least one great player, not a handful of role players.

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 06:50 PM

As far as trades go...The Bruins will want more than the sabres have. Thorton is a legitimate perennial all star. The sabres have zero all stars to give up. Look at what the Blues got for Pronger. They dumped salary and got Brewer who is better than any Sabres Dman (Z included). Bruins would want at least one great player, not a handful of role players.

Of course nobody will give up that for a player. But there have been instances where players have been in this postition and compensation has been arranged. (Gratton - Flyers)

Canadian'eh!
08-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Of course nobody will give up that for a player. But there have been instances where players have been in this postition and compensation has been arranged. (Gratton - Flyers)

I feel like you guys are really underating Thornton. The guy is an elite superstar. He is going to be the top power forward in the game for a while. Boston is not the best place for him so far, because they won't keep the players around him.

Don Cherry
08-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Maybe some teams will be waiting for Boston to use up their cap (Sindin is notoriously cheap) and then a team could sign Thorton to a cap killing contract thus forcing Boston to make a decision. Then they can deal from a position of more strength.
I feel like you guys are really underating Thornton. The guy is an elite superstar. He is going to be the top power forward in the game for a while. Boston is not the best place for him so far, because they won't keep the players around him.First off- Harry Sinden is not making the player moves anymore- GM Mike OConnell is. Boston papers indicate OConnell is planning to spend about $36 million on payroll...almost the entire allotted cap. So there is no more "cheap" in Boston.

Where the Bruins may have dropped the ball was not signing Samsanov and Thornton before the strike. Had they, last year's salary would have been voided, and a 24% discount over the entire deal would have happened. Philly did that with the Bruins' Mike Knuble now they have a 25 goal scorer at a cheap price.

Published reports indicate the Bruins intend to Spend 10-11 million on retaining the duo. It just depends on how much Thornton wants to stay. He'd be crazy to leave- the Bruins will have a pretty good lineup around him.

Don Cherry
08-07-2005, 07:27 PM

It has happened in the past- I beleive Scott Stevens was an RFA in washington in 1990, and the Blues signed him- forfeiting at the time 5 First round picks. Ironically, he was sent to New Jersey a year later in a trade for Brendan Shanahan

Don Cherry
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
It has happened in the past- I beleive Scott Stevens was an RFA in washington in 1990, and the Blues signed him- forfeiting at the time 5 First round picks. Ironically, he was sent to New Jersey a year later in a trade for Brendan ShanahanActually- it wasn't a trade. A year after giving up 5 picks for Stevens, St Louis signed Brendan Shanahan from NJ as another RFA. Because of the fofeited picks from the year before- New Jersey didn't want to wait 10 years to receive the last of their compensation.

New Jersey demanded Stevens as the compensation. St Louis countered with Rod Brin'Damour , Curtis Joseph, and two picks. An arbitrator gave New Jersey Stevens.

Oddly, St Louis had to give up an additional first round pick to New Jersey sometime between 2001 and 2004 because of Stevens. When Stevens' contract came up for renewal in 1994, St Louis entered into secret negotiations to try and get him back. The Devils matched the St Louis offer, and St Louis got hammered for tampering.

In the end, St Louis spent 6 first round picks on Stevens- who wound up playing only one season

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I feel like you guys are really underating Thornton. The guy is an elite superstar. He is going to be the top power forward in the game for a while. Boston is not the best place for him so far, because they won't keep the players around him.

Oh, I know Thornton is elite. I think most of what I have is wishful thinking. Plus, like I said earlier, I forgot he was a RFA. It doesn't mean we would have to give up everything for him though.

Dozerdog
08-07-2005, 09:02 PM
I would think that the emphasis on developing and playing younger talent would be imperative - thus a much bigger emphasis on the draft. Your draftees will make up a significant portion of your roster- more like the NFL.

Thus- someone giving up a boatload of picks would be less likely.

elltrain22
08-07-2005, 09:08 PM
We really don't have the cap room to be spending $$ on fa's, we really need to address our own restricted free agents; especially Biron & Brierre.

Typ0
08-07-2005, 09:16 PM
why would so instantaneously make people feel better if we signed someone to a "big" contract? It's like it would give us a purpose or something. We need the right players in the right spots...just spending a ton of money to get "someone" might be a big waste but it will appease the fans.

chernobylwraiths
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
why would so instantaneously make people feel better if we signed someone to a "big" contract? It's like it would give us a purpose or something. We need the right players in the right spots...just spending a ton of money to get "someone" might be a big waste but it will appease the fans.

Exactly. This is a customer service industry. You need to make the fans happy. I understand trying to find a player that would fit in, but with all the players available, how hard can it be to find ONE and focus on them. I originally picked Thornton out because he is the big power forward that the Sabres have been looking for for years. He puts in a lot of effort (at least it seems that way) he isn't pushed around and he is talented. I just forgot that he was a RFA.

BuffaloRanger
08-08-2005, 12:25 AM
What about Bertuzzi? He's a power forward that could become available.

Typ0
08-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Exactly. This is a customer service industry. You need to make the fans happy. I understand trying to find a player that would fit in, but with all the players available, how hard can it be to find ONE and focus on them. I originally picked Thornton out because he is the big power forward that the Sabres have been looking for for years. He puts in a lot of effort (at least it seems that way) he isn't pushed around and he is talented. I just forgot that he was a RFA.

and in a customer service industry like this management should properly be focused on winning some games in the playoffs...not a short term propaganda solution that would last for a month and then be drizzeled on once the zamboni got moving.

Dozerdog
08-08-2005, 12:32 AM
REMEMBER WHERE WE ARE, TOO.

Buffalo is a great hockey town, their fans are knowlegeable and will support the team.

This isn't Nashville, that has to sign a concussion case like Kariya because he has a big name. They need to make splashy headlines. But in the end, I bet Mike Grier, Dumont, Afinegenov, Tallinder, Hect, and others who combined will sign for as much as Kariya did - will contribute more next season than Kariya's 25-30 goals

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2005, 09:04 AM
You guys are also acting like not one of those FA signings could have helped this team and that they were all overrated. I'm not naive enough to think that signing Pallfy was going to be the missing link to putting us back in the playoffs, I'm saying that their lack of effort is alienating some of the fanbase who saw this FA period as a chance to vastly improve the team. Some of you also make it sound as if we sign all of our former players back that will be fine and competetive. Well, if we couldn't even make the playoffs with them AND Satan and Zhitnik, what makes anyone think we can without them and a older vet and a couple rookies?

I will honestly say that had we changed GM and coach before this period, I think THAT would have been a step in the right direction.

Earthquake Enyart
08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Can anyone name our last 4 first rounders without looking it up?

Unless you have a top 5 pick, it's all a crapshoot anyhow.

I'd trade 4 for a superstar in a heartbeat.

SabreEleven
08-08-2005, 09:25 AM
We really don't have the cap room to be spending $$ on fa's, we really need to address our own restricted free agents; especially Biron & Brierre.
I'm not saying we should go and spend a bunch on FA but we don't have the cap room? I'm no cap expert but aren't we at about $20 Mil? Which would be half of the cap.

pyrrhonist
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I, for one, am not asking for a name to be signed "just because". There were some great names out there (And still are a few) that can significantly improve this team. Sitting around for another Erik Rasmussen isn't my idea of looking to the future. Can anyone who's defending Darcy say, with a straight face, that signing Palffy wouldn't improve this team? Or Aucoin? Sure, both have that dreaded '3' in the beginning of their age, but neither is a concussion case (Lindros), or near retirement (Stevens). I don't see what the problem is in asking for some guys who'd improve this team to be signed.

BuffaloRanger
08-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm with pyrrhonist. Some fans act like wanting to the Sabres to sign an all-star (again the sabres have zero) is bad because "he may not play well for the Sabres". I'll say that a proven star in this league has a far better chance of playing well then Vanek, or any other rookie the Sabres want to promote.

Many fans were excited because they looked at this FA period as an opportunity for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 3 seasons to become competitive in a hurry. Yes there are still some good players out there, but the vast majority of great players have signed already. The sabres were not a player away from being great - they needed to make some wholesale changes. Dropping your best Dman and Forward and adding Patrick's replacement is not a step in that direction.

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I, for one, am not asking for a name to be signed "just because". There were some great names out there (And still are a few) that can significantly improve this team. Sitting around for another Erik Rasmussen isn't my idea of looking to the future. Can anyone who's defending Darcy say, with a straight face, that signing Palffy wouldn't improve this team? Or Aucoin? Sure, both have that dreaded '3' in the beginning of their age, but neither is a concussion case (Lindros), or near retirement (Stevens). I don't see what the problem is in asking for some guys who'd improve this team to be signed.

This is what I am saying as well. I don't want to sign someone for the sake of saying, "there you go, how was that". Hell, I think Teppo might have been a signing like that. I certainly don't see him doing a bunch to replace Z. I would rather have heard Darcy say, "Well, we made a few contract offers to Pronger and Palffy, but for some reason or other they went with a different offer." But hearing, "we aren't going to retain Satan, and we will replace him with guys that were in Rochester", does not fill me with any feeling of "trying to get better".

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Lastly, this is a total different situation than with the Bills. Donahoe has proven that he can get the deal done, even when he has to wait for it. Darcy has proven only that he will wait, and while a few of his deals have turned out well, they haven't more than have.

SABURZFAN
08-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I guess I would like to sign somebody like Joe Thorton. He is a bit of a loose cannon, but if he can learn to control his temper, he is the force that Buffalo could embrace.

i'd be one happy SOB if we did but it's not happening.i read in another article that the cheapskates only plan on using $27-29 million of the $39 million cap.i'm guessing we sign everyone elses leftovers for the league minimum.