X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

IM ON THE SIMON BAND WAGON!!!

When i first heard the news that we have interest trading for Corey Simon. I was pissed, we should lock up Nate, and Terrance, but the more and more i think about it. It sounds like a great move. Here are some reasons why.

On WGR this morning they say Simon is looking for around 20 million for 4 years. This is simular to what Pat Williams received, but Simon is only 28, and he is hitting his prime,

This would be the best time to strike a deal with Philidelphia. Simon is counting majorly against their cap. They need the money to take care of hold outs like, Owens "who I think may start his hold out again now that Pinkston is done for the year." Westbrook who has yet to show up for camp. Eagles has major depth at the postition, and they like what they see out of Patterson the rookie DT out of USC. The Eagles have alot of destractions right now, and i think getting rid of Simon would be a great start.

Ron Edward is looking good in training camp, but he has a history of injuries. He is a freeagent next year. Sam Adams is getting older, and you never know if he is going to show up, or flake out. After that Depth is unproven.

Simon is decent at stuffing the run, but he is no Pat Williams, but he can be just as disruptive with his speed, and agility. With Sam Adams taking up blocks, Simon could be a terror on quarterbacks. You could see more stunts with the DE's. Such pressure on the middle of the opposing teams pocket could help the DE's increase pressure on opposing QB's. On third downs, we could yank Adams put Edwards in, Posey at a end, with Simon and Schobel Nickel and Dime Packages would be very intiminating.

With Pinkston done for the year, maybe Josh Reed could be used in a trade for Simon. With Pinkston, Owens hurt/holding out, Fred ex now gone. On monday the top 2 receivers will be Greg Lewis, and Rookie Reggie Brown. Maybe Reed and a 3rd, or 2 3rd round picks could be enought to Land Simon.
    What are the odds that players picked with the 3rd round picks will be as good as ProBowl DT?

Im confident that Tom D. will resign at least one of our corners. Simon trade or not there is a chance we can't resign them both. Hopefull next year the dead money on the cap will expire giving us cap space. "you would have to ask clump about what next years cap looks like" In the back of my mind i think Nate is gone, because i think Wills if he has a good year is going to hold out. We can't keep everyone.

I would be happy with Simon. If we get him, then you can pretty much say good bye to Nate. But if TD is going to let him walk anyway then we might as well make our team better now.

• BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Re: IM ON THE SIMON BAND WAGON!!!

I'm not sure if they would have any interest in Josh Reed but if they did maybe a 2nd round pick and Josh Reed could get us Simon.

I'd take this guy anyday. That's a fair contract for him.

Comment

• Schobel94
      The Sack Master
      • Jan 2003

No Simon, too much money for a player who is good, but not THAT much better that waht we already have. We need money for Clements and hopefully some decent O-lineman next year. Simon has a bad attitude, and DT is not a need position.
      Beware the sack master!

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Schobel94
        No Simon, too much money for a player who is good, but not THAT much better that waht we already have. We need money for Clements and hopefully some decent O-lineman next year. Simon has a bad attitude, and DT is not a need position.
        DT is a need postion. We don't know what we have after Adams. I never liked Edwards when he started next to Pat Williams in 2003, and he has been hurt alot. The team is high on Tim Anderson, but i don't see it. Yeah Simon has some attitude problems, but Adams doesn't? Have we forgot the temper tantrum he threw last year when he was pulled out on third down. I just wouldn't hold your breath about us keeping clements. I wanted to keep Winfield and TD didn't even make a effort. I don't see TD breaking open the piggy bank for Nate, Who wants to be paid Champ Baily money. If TD is cocky which he pretty much always is and is going to let Nate walk, then why not bring in a quality player this season.

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

Signing Simon would be a BAD move, we'd have to give up something for an overrated overpaid headcase that we don't need. He'd strain our cap when we have players like Clements we need to sign as well as McGahee in the future, he's just not worth it. It's not like he's a dominating player like Warren Sapp was or Ted Washington was or Sam Adams is, he's just pretty good. Definately not worth it.

On Clements, TD will have to re-sign him, we don't have the depth behind him. The reason TD didn't re-sign Antoine was becuase although he was a very good player, he wasn't elite or a play maker, and we had good depth with Clements and McGee. We don't have that now and Clements IS the real deal, shut-down playmaking corner. Every couple years TD puts out the big money, Moulds, Spikes, to a lesser degree Adams and Milloy got good money too.

This is why TD didn't sign players like Winfied, Williams, and Jennings, so he could KEEP players like Clements and eventually McGahee.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• camelcowboy
            • Mar 2005

Corey Simons stats for 5 years
            DEFENSIVE STATS

YearTeamGTotalTcklAstSacksIntYdsAvgLgTDPass Def
            2000Philadelphia Eagles165238.0149.5000.0003
            2001Philadelphia Eagles164736.0117.5000.0003
            2002Philadelphia Eagles144033.072000.0003
            2003Philadelphia Eagles164032.087.5000.0002
            2004Philadelphia Eagles163226.065.5000.0001
            TOTAL78211165.04632000.00012

Players you compared, Warren Sapp

2000Tampa Bay Buccaneers165243.0916.5000.0003
            2001Tampa Bay Buccaneers163628.086000.0000
            2002Tampa Bay Buccaneers164740.077.5200.0002
            2003Tampa Bay Buccaneers154336.075000.0003
            2004Oakland Raiders164230.0122.5000.0000
            TOTAL156440336.010479.5351.75120

Ted Washington
            2000Buffalo Bills165837.0212.5000.0001
            2001Chicago Bears163326.071.5000.0004
            2002Chicago Bears254.010000.0001
            2003New England Patriots104032.082000.0000
            2004Oakland Raiders164133.083000.0001
            TOTAL199638499.013934.5252.55027

Finally Sam Adams
            2000Baltimore Ravens162723.042000.0006
            2001Baltimore Ravens142319.042000.0001
            2002Oakland Raiders152117.042000.0001
            2003Buffalo Bills153324.09513737.03712
            2004Buffalo Bills164126.0155100.0002
            TOTAL165356272.0843936220.737232

I think he compares on par, or better then your "elite tackles" he's alot younger then all of the above mentioned. The total is for career numbers, not just the last 5 years. Stats from NFL.com
            Last edited by camelcowboy; 08-07-2005, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• camelcowboy
              • Mar 2005

Signing Simon would be a BAD move, we'd have to give up something for an overrated overpaid headcase that we don't need. He'd strain our cap when we have players like Clements we need to sign as well as McGahee in the future, he's just not worth it. It's not like he's a dominating player like Warren Sapp was or Ted Washington was or Sam Adams is, he's just pretty good. Definately not worth it.

On Clements, TD will have to re-sign him, we don't have the depth behind him. The reason TD didn't re-sign Antoine was becuase although he was a very good player, he wasn't elite or a play maker, and we had good depth with Clements and McGee. We don't have that now and Clements IS the real deal, shut-down playmaking corner. Every couple years TD puts out the big money, Moulds, Spikes, to a lesser degree Adams and Milloy got good money too.

This is why TD didn't sign players like Winfied, Williams, and Jennings, so he could KEEP players like Clements and eventually McGahee.
              Milloy, Adams, Spikes were all free agents. As far as keeping players he drafted Schobel, and Moulds are the only ones that have come to mind. He very well may try to keep Clements, but Nate knows he will be able to get top dollar on the freeagent market next year because he's Top CB on the market, not to mention freeagent class for CB is not going to be real deep. Look at TD's history. Most occasions he trys to replace talent instead of paying to keep it. Look at all those star linebackers he let become free agents in Pittsburg. He just drafted someone else to take their place.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

I would be all for acquiring Simon if he were more of a true run stuffing defensive tackle. To me, Adams and Edwards both display good ability to provide pressure up the middle - probably not as good as Simon has been in the past, but certaintly well above average. What the Bills need though is a true run stuffer, a Pat Williams type who will take up space and blockers so that the linebackers can make plays and limit teams ability to get in third and short situations. Simon, for all of his talents, is not a rock against the run, he does not have the bulk.

I would pass on Simon and spend the money elsewhere. I thought I remember reading that TD has denied interest and that both Cinncinati and one other team had deals in place to acquire Simon but pulled out because of his contract demands.

Comment

• Schobel94
                  The Sack Master
                  • Jan 2003

I was talking about Sapp, Washington, Adams in their prime, they're all alittle past their prime, unlike Corey Simon. He's just not good enough to warrant the kind of money he wants. He wants top 5 DT money and he simply isn't a top 5 DT. He's top 15 top 20, probably not in the top 10. I would rank these DT's above him:

Sam Adams
                  Richard Seymour
                  Marcous Stroud
                  John Henderson
                  Casey Hampton
                  Jamal Williams
                  Kris Jenkins
                  Anthony McFarland
                  La'Roi Glover
                  Shaun Rogers
                  Maybe Rod Coleman

So maybe around 12 or so. A very good player, but not worthy of a big 5 mil a year contract that he wants. Hell both Cincy and Baltimore tried to get him but could not come to contract terms. In other words, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Just get over it.
                  Beware the sack master!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

I think this is a dead topic considering the Bills have not contacted the Eagles and TD came out and basically said he has no interest in Simon.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      I think this is a dead topic considering the Bills have not contacted the Eagles and TD came out and basically said he has no interest in Simon.
                      Oh yeah, Im sorry we should always believe what a team tells to the media

Comment

• BillsFever21
                        • Aug 2004

Next year when Adams is probably gone the same people will be *****ing because we don't have a DT.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                          • Mar 2005

I was talking about Sapp, Washington, Adams in their prime, they're all alittle past their prime, unlike Corey Simon. He's just not good enough to warrant the kind of money he wants. He wants top 5 DT money and he simply isn't a top 5 DT. He's top 15 top 20, probably not in the top 10. I would rank these DT's above him:

Sam Adams
                          Richard Seymour
                          Marcous Stroud
                          John Henderson
                          Casey Hampton
                          Jamal Williams
                          Kris Jenkins
                          Anthony McFarland
                          La'Roi Glover
                          Shaun Rogers
                          Maybe Rod Coleman

So maybe around 12 or so. A very good player, but not worthy of a big 5 mil a year contract that he wants. Hell both Cincy and Baltimore tried to get him but could not come to contract terms. In other words, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Just get over it.
                          I agree with Stroud, Henderson, La'Roi Glover, Rodgers, and ill throw in Kevin williams from minnisota, McFarland, Jekins.

Jamal Williams, Casey Hampton, are nose tackles for 3-4. Completely different. In a 3-4 Simon would be a end.

Seymor is a end.

Cincy and Baltimore took their shot before the draft when Simon thought he would be on a new team in before training camp. His demands were too high. Now that two teams regected him, and Philly has come out and said that he's not going to receive a long term deal. "Andy Reid and his agent haven't talked since mini-camps" Maybe now Simon will see his value and will take a little less to get out of philly, and receive the security of a long term contract. So no i will not forget about it. TD is not going to overpay for the man, has he ever overpaid for a player. Most of the time his ficalness pisses me off.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                            Next year when Adams is probably gone the same people will be *****ing because we don't have a DT.
                            Whats wrong our amazing depth of Tim Anderson, Justin Bannan, and Lavale Sape doesn't make you excited for the future?

Comment

• Pride
                              • Jul 2002

We will either get a deal with Nate done this year... or he will be franchised next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X