Incredible: The Korey Stringer story...in his wife's words...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Incredible: The Korey Stringer story...in his wife's words...

Damage Done
    by Kelci Stringer as told to Sally Gardocki
    ESPN The Magazine

At 11:30 p.m. on July 31, 2001, the small DeKalb Peachtree Airport in Atlanta was deserted. No one saw the woman boarding the emergency medic flight. No one knew the small plane was about to fly her straight into a nightmare. No one knew she was lucky to have a seat.

The flight had been arranged and paid for by Randy Moss for Kelci Stringer, wife of his teammate, Pro Bowl offensive tackle Korey Stringer, who lay comatose in a Mankato, Minn., hospital. Kelci sat alone with her Bible and her prayers as the tiny plane bumped above the treetops. Halfway into the flight, she felt a pain deep in her chest. Thoughts of Korey bounced around her head as the plane rocked abruptly. Without warning, they'd flown into the heart of a storm, which would force them to land in Minneapolis, shy of their destination. "I think that's when Korey took that last turn for the worse," Kelci says. "And I wasn't there." There's no malice in her voice, just the emptiness only a single mother, a widow in her 20s, can know.

The Stringer family had the world at their feet in Minnesota.
    Korey Stringer died at 1:50 a.m. on Aug. 1. He was buried five days later, in his hometown of Warren, Ohio. "Big K" was remembered fondly by teammates and family members. Over the next few days and weeks, Kelci Stringer began to piece together the last hours of her husband's life.

His death was painful and, she contends, avoidable. In January, Korey's family filed a $100 million wrongful-death lawsuit against the Minnesota Vikings, alleging gross negligence. (Vikings attorney James O'Neal declined to comment for this story, but noted that "we do intend and expect to defend the lawsuit.") A trial is set for next summer.

Shortly before the anniversary of her husband's death, Kelci Stringer speaks about those last days...

A year after Korey Stringer's death, his wife reveals the depth of her loss -- and her anger.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• bduff54
    • Jul 2002

too bad, it's hard to say if anybody is to blame though!

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

I agree with you bduff, I don't know the numbers at all or anything like that, but the Vikes have had about 100 people at camp each year and Dennis Green has been coach there for about 10 years, so that's approx. 1000 people that have attended their camp. From what I've heard, Stringer was their first case of serious heat stroke over those years as well. 0.1% doesn't sound like it'd be too far off a normal percentage for people getting severe heat stroke to me. Especially when you consider that even if all precautions are taken, fall football is an inherently risky thing to do as far as heat stroke is concerned because it involves running around in the sun. I wonder what the numbers are for other rigourous outdoor professions are.

Comment

• gunzlingr
        • Jul 2002

What gets me, the Vikings offered her like $20 million dollars, even tho they were cleared of any negligence by the MN state dept of labor. They didn't have to pay her a dime, then her lawyer talks her into suing the team. Now the Vikes say if she loses she gets nothing. I can't see where the team is anymore to blame than he is.
        You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• bduff54
          • Jul 2002

it's just a sad story.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

a very sad story indeed...I'd still like to know what the results of a tox screen were.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

It's disturbing that Randy Moss was more thoughtful than Vikings Ownership and management.

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

or maybe Moss doesn't get enough credit.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

Working...
                X