PDA

View Full Version : I was away all weekend but didn't anyone mention

ryjam282
08-08-2005, 09:29 AM
I thought the defense looked just sick....They were flying all over the place. Sure, the Packers O-line is in dissaray these days but our D-line was manhandling them. I think Schobel would have had a few sacks as well as Kelsay too (who looked very impressive to me BTW). Sam Adams had a sack and a knockdown and I haven't even mentioned the reckless abandon that the LB's played with. Fletcher had 1 and should have had another and Spikes and Posey were all over the place. I was very happy with that unit.

The 2nd teamers, it is a shame (j/k) that we have such good LB's cause Stamer and Haggan looked very good too. Those guys won't get much PT unless an injury happens and it makes me not worry as much if one of our starters goes down cause those 2 can play too. Stamer really impressed me with his speed and his tackling. The new CB King even had a sack and looked good in his short stint out there.

Overall, I was absolutely estatic with the D's performance, sure there are some things I would like to see improved, Edwards didn't look great tonite but Sam more then made up for that and that is all we really need from the other DT spot, a tackler. Sam is the rusher and the other DT has to be the tackler. That is all the Big Pat did, Sam had the sacks and Pat had the tackles. So, one of the young guys needs to fill that hole....I can't wait for the real season to start cause our D is ready....

Also, how sweet was it to see McGee return that opening kickoff, regular season that was a TD.......

madness
08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm just worried how our "attacking defense" disappears when we have the lead at the end of the game. I hope Gray has learned his lesson by now. :shakeno:

ryjam282
08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree, hope he gets it right.

Jan Reimers
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
"Prevent Defenses" usually prevent you from winning. Teams should stick with the style that got them ahead to begin with.

mysticsoto
08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
"Prevent Defenses" usually prevent you from winning. Teams should stick with the style that got them ahead to begin with.

I think Prevent Defenses should only be used when ahead by ALOT - especially when you have a ball control, time consuming style of offense that can eat up many, many minutes before the other team gets the ball again.

That being said, I'm not really conservative and even if I were up by alot, I might go into a prevent defense, but every now and then, I would throw a surprise by throwing a full blitz or something. While they are expecting us to fall back and have probably called a play that takes a little to develop, a full blitz with LBs playing up for the slant could surprise the offense. Yeah, you risk a bomb being thrown if the offense can pick up the blitz, but you blitz intelligently (for example, don't blitz on NE). Overall, I think mixing it up is a good idea and the prevent becomes boring. Like I said, if you are up 35-3 and you're in the 4th qtr, then I guess it's okay. I might even put in some of our defensive reserves and still play the same style to see how they do...