PDA

View Full Version : Bills Lose Smith, Sobieski to Injuries

The_Philster
08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
The Buffalo Bills' offensive line lost some depth on Monday when coach Mike Mularkey announced that reserves Lawrence Smith and Ben Sobieski will likely miss the season with injuries.

Smith, a backup guard, injured his knee Friday and was carted off the field during Buffalo's practice at Green Bay. Without disclosing the nature of the injury, Mularkey said that Smith is getting a second opinion but he doesn't expect the player back this season.
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050808/APS/508081101

thebuffalobills4
08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
man that sucks :down:

OpIv37
08-08-2005, 09:23 PM
yeah neither of those guys are great but I think Smith is an acceptable back-up. That hurts because the O-line is definitely the weakest unit on the field.

BuffaloRanger
08-08-2005, 09:32 PM
The glaring problem with how TD addressed the Oline this year was in the lack of quality depth. When Gandy was signed, it was reported to be the 3rd OT. Then suddenly he was the starter.

What was the report on Sobieski coming out of college? He was a "soft" player. His injury may not be a result of his "softness" but "buyer beware."

Somewhere Marcus Price is waiting for his phone to ring.

mysticsoto
08-09-2005, 08:54 AM
The glaring problem with how TD addressed the Oline this year was in the lack of quality depth. When Gandy was signed, it was reported to be the 3rd OT. Then suddenly he was the starter.

What was the report on Sobieski coming out of college? He was a "soft" player. His injury may not be a result of his "softness" but "buyer beware."

Somewhere Marcus Price is waiting for his phone to ring.

TD addressed the O-line in more of a future improvement fashion. We couldn't afford the few FAs who wanted lots of money - except for Anderson. So we went to the draft to look for potential future prospects. Yes, I know that doesn't help us now, but grabbing a Center and 2 Guards was the 1st step while we grab a monster tackle in the tackle happy draft next year. I haven't been too impressed with Geisginer, but I like Gudmunsen. And though he needs work still, he could develop to be a great Guard and provide depth, perhaps eventually taking over Villarial's position. Also, Dylan McFarland has developed nicely and will apparently be a good backup to MW. So there is some improvement in some areas. Of course, injuries are always bad and it is hard to account for them at any position...I wouldn't worry about the guard position too much. Bannan could always come over and help fill-in in an emergency also.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Tucker is practicing again, and Preston could probably play guard as well. With Jerman, Geisinger and Gudmundsen also in the mix, we're probably still OK behind Anderson and Villarrial.

But Sobieski is always injured and should start looking for a real job.