PDA

View Full Version : BZ Fantasy Football League #3 - Live Draft

Halbert
08-06-2002, 03:16 PM
BZ Fantasy Football League #3 - Live Draft

League Name: BillsZone.com League #3 (ID# 173026)
League Type: Private, Head-to-Head
Host Website: Yahoo!
Password: zoner
Draft Type: Live
Draft Time: Saturday, Aug 31, 10:40 am EDT
Number of Teams: 12
Playoffs: Weeks 14, 15, & 16 (8 teams make the playoffs)

To join this league click the link below (or cut and paste the link into your browser's address field):

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1

Winners receive prizes and a special BILLSZONE LEAGUE CHAMPION logo under their avatar.

Please only sign up if you will be an active participant until the end! With 8 of the 12 teams making the playoffs, virtually everyone should still be in the running for a post season spot very late into the season.

Yahoo has a very good FF site with the only disadvantage being that you have to pay an extra $8 bucks if you want live scoring (so you can check out how your team is doing Sunday and Monday). Otherwise, it has all the bells and whistles.

We will be using individual defensive players instead of team defense. This is done to provide a little variety by focusing attention on the other side of the ball. Note: Yahoo lumps the defensive linemen and linebackers into the “DL” category, which can be a little confusing at first.

It is recommended that you pre-rank your players prior to the draft. For what its worth, Yahoo appears to do an excellent job (better than any of the other sites) of creating and maintaining its default player rankings so you should get a pretty good team even if you use the default rankings and miss part/all of the draft.

bduff54
08-06-2002, 03:30 PM
alright halbert i am signed up!

DraftBoy
08-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Im in baby! DA CHAMPS all the way!

Typ0
08-06-2002, 06:33 PM
I thought we were doing NFL.com. Damn. I can't make the live draft anyway that's Labor Day weekend. Thanks anyway Halbert.

LouGrant
08-06-2002, 06:39 PM
Halbert-

Thanks for signing up another league- but if you use different scoring rules, it will mess up the tournament we were planning for the end of the season- ultimate Zone FFl champion!

If we got at least 4 leagues up and running (whicjh is an attainable goal) we were going to have a mini tournament bracket with the best FFL teams on the boards...NCAA Basketall style.

Any chance in reconsidering and using traditional FFL rules?

Bruce is Loose
08-06-2002, 06:45 PM
im signed up

Halbert
08-07-2002, 05:09 AM
I thought it would be fun to have yet another type of league but I see your point. I didn't realize there were definite plans for a multi-league tournament. I recall we considered something similar last season but canned it because the logistics are pretty tough. We can fix it if that's what we really want to do but let's discuss it first to make sure.

Can we define exactly how the roll-up tournament would take place? Seems the biggest problem is that we'll only have Week 17 to conduct it. We'd probably have to scrap head-to-head and have all 4 teams compete for highest points scored. With the likelihood of common players on the teams ties are more likely so tie-breakers need to be defined. Week 17 also is notorious for having players sit out when their NFL playoff seedings are determined, which is why most leagues don't use Week 17 to begin with.

I'm not sure how to address these problems but if we can figure it out we can do something to get the league compatible with the others.

Halbert
08-07-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Typ0
I thought we were doing NFL.com. Damn. I can't make the live draft anyway that's Labor Day weekend. Thanks anyway Halbert.
Typ0,

All of the evening slots were taken up, except for the last Friday before the season (who wants Friday evening tied up with a FF draft?). I didn't want to do a daytime weekday draft or we'd lose the people who can't draft during a day shift job.

I thought making it early enough on Saturday would take care of the holiday weekend thing. Didn't work, huh?

standingbuffalo43
08-07-2002, 12:36 PM
there is no way you can equitably have an intra-league tourney...

teams that win their league will undoubtedly have duplicate players...plus the playoffs for leagues should run thru week #16...
I for one dont see the legitimacy of have 2 teams starting rosters on week 17 with half of their rosters having duplicates on it...

the solution:
crown as many league champs as their are leagues... (right now 3), then next season the three league champs and the other top finishers in each league are funneled into a champions league next season...

anything else would be a futile waste of time...

otherwise, please explain how you plan on having league champs play each other???

standingbuffalo43
08-07-2002, 12:38 PM
If you need another franchise owner, let me know halbert...

lordofgun
08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
I tend to agree with SB43...there's still space left in league #3!

Halbert
08-08-2002, 02:32 PM
So unless we hear soon hear otherwise, let's proceed with the league as is.

We currently have 6 of 12 spots remaining.

BambinoSux
08-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Is there any more spots left? I'll sign up when I get home from work because I can't do it here. I'll also miss the draft but that doesn't really matter right. If I draw #1 I get the first person on my list right?

lordofgun
08-08-2002, 03:32 PM
That's correct, BS!

BambinoSux
08-08-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm in. Who is Da Champs cause I got you in Week 1.

DraftBoy
08-08-2002, 04:45 PM
That would be me, I am the champion of a league last year. in other words YOUR GOING DOWN!

BambinoSux
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Damn.

Does anybody else find the Pre-Rankings confusing? I can't even find some of the guys I'm looking for. Is there a way that you can rank them by position or is it all lumped together. I'm confused :confused:

Halbert
08-09-2002, 05:09 AM
It was a little confusing at first to me, too, but once you get started it's a pretty good setup.

In a league with a live draft there is only a single list that is ranked. The way Yahoo has it set up, you can choose to rank only the first few rounds and let the default rankings take over after that. I'd suggest ranking at least the first 3-5 rounds (the first 36-60 players) if you won't make the draft at all. You can also completely exclude players from being drafted onto your team.

The highest remaining ranked player on your list will be drafted when it is your turn. You usually don't have to worry about ending up with 5 QB's and 1 WR because other owners in the live draft are picking players based on position need so when it's your turn you usually end up with a player/position you need. There were several absentee owners in my last (and only) Yahoo live draft and everybody ended up with a reasonably well balanced team.

For complete clarity, I have sent a question to Yahoo asking if they have any additional rules on how the software fills out the roster when the ranked list is used (ie. if you already have 5 WR's and only 1 QB will another WR be selected if he's next on your list?).

Finally, I built in a lot of flex slots in the league so that it will be easy to field a competitive team even if your roster is unbalanced. For example, you can start 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, and 3 of the 5 defensive slots can be any defender. It's very unlikely any team won't be able to have first string players in their entire starting lineup.

Bert102176
08-09-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm Wellsville Bills:shelby: :bones: this is me bashing a Dolphins player :chair:

Halbert
08-11-2002, 04:08 AM
According to a response from Yahoo customer support:

"The auto-pick system will first fill the starting lineup for the absent manager. Then, bench positions will be filled by selecting the highest ranked player regardless of position."

Suggestion: rank the positions you DON'T want drafted to your bench (ie. kicker) lower than other positions you DO want drafted to your bench (ie. QB).

BambinoSux
08-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Halbert,

So what you're saying is that you could have a kicker ranked @ 500, but if he is the best available kicker, he will go to you automatically when picking the starters. Another words you should have all RB's, QB's and WR's ranked high so you get them first as your backups because you will get the best available regardless when you pick the starters?

Halbert
08-11-2002, 03:45 PM
If I understand you correctly, yes. Starting positions are filled in before any backups are taken so yes you'd select a kicker ranked 500 before a QB ranked 200 IF your starting kicker slot is still open. Once all starting positions are filled backups are then selected based on whoever is highest on your list.

BambinoSux
08-13-2002, 09:02 AM
OK so basically then just rank the big positions highest because that's where the back-ups will come in right?

Tatonka
08-13-2002, 09:40 AM
I am signed up.. Glistening Members =)

lordofgun
08-13-2002, 02:02 PM
I might have to join if we don't get this bad boy filled up...

and you don't want that.

DraftBoy
08-13-2002, 04:27 PM
BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatonka
08-13-2002, 09:39 PM
bring it log... one spot left.. unless your scared of my glistening member =)

Halbert
08-13-2002, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't touch that.

Novacane
08-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Who is the Brady Beaters? I have you week 1.

BambinoSux
08-15-2002, 08:49 AM
That's me. I don't have to play DA CHAMPS anymore week 1? Oh well.

lordofgun
08-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Is this league full?

Halbert
08-18-2002, 04:15 PM
For the time being.

lordofgun
08-18-2002, 08:33 PM
ok cool! League 1's draft is wednesday night at 10 eastern!

Halbert
08-21-2002, 12:12 PM
A spot just opened in this league.

Halbert
08-25-2002, 11:57 AM
1 spot still open.

Halbert
08-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Ditto

lordofgun
08-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Still 1 spot??

Halbert
08-27-2002, 11:16 AM
Yep. We still have a few days for someone to sign up but since it's been up for a while it looks like we might not get anyone from here. If nobody signs up by Thursday I'll see if I can find a friend for the last team.

Dozerdog
08-27-2002, 01:54 PM
Are you going to withdrawl from FFL #2 or stay, Hal?

Just Curious

Halbert
08-27-2002, 04:05 PM
I'd rather stay but I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

Dozerdog
08-27-2002, 04:11 PM
Great! We were worried we would have a last second vacancy....

Sabre Ally
08-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Yeah, don't leave Hal, we want you to play. :)

Halbert
08-28-2002, 05:40 AM
cool!