PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Controversy

Pride
08-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Granted... I have not seen them for myself... but from all of Mikey's reports... it seems that Holcumb is doing MUCH better than JP.

It isnt so much the mental part of camp... that you would expect because he is a veteran... but it seems to be his accuracy. Every report has JP "missing" throws, while Kelly is hitting them all.

Perhaps we should have a QB battle for 1st string?

casdhf
08-09-2005, 08:05 AM
JP has the arm, mobility and we gave up alot to get him. He's going to be starting against the Texans.

Michael82
08-09-2005, 08:07 AM
:scared:

Don't overanalyze my reports. It may not just be that his throws are off, I think he still needs some more time to click with the receivers. I think that they are still off as far as the timing and their routes.

I do like Kelly Holcomb a lot, but I feel that their is a lot more upside with JP Losman. :up:

Static
08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I would go with JP....He is your future so get let him get the work and learning he needs......From all the reports i hear he has a good head on his sholders...I feel if you go with holcumb you'll be in the same position as last year of just missing the playoffs

colin
08-09-2005, 08:15 AM
if jp gets hurt again or struggles holcomb will be a rock off the bench, so we just start JP and we have a plan B

win win

jmb1099
08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
JP will be fine, this is what tc is all about. The more reps he takes the better he will be. I know everyone is being very cautious in thier assesment of him, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he is going to have a great year.
1) Excellent coaching
2) O line is actually starting to gel
3) physically gifted
4) Fierce competitor
5) Excellent core of receivers
6) Ground game

All of these factors add up to the potential for a great year. Yes I;m being very optimistic, but not without reason. The kid just threw his first tc int and against GB probably wouldn't have been sacked if not for the red shirt rule. So I am going to have to respectfully disagree...there is no controversy and I highly doubt there will be.

Meathead
08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't know about a rock, but he'll be more than serviceable. If he were a rock he's still be in Cleveland.

vicmantak
08-09-2005, 08:49 AM
I would say the BEST OPTION TO WIN no matter WHO is.
If Holcomb is better I will go with him.

justasportsfan
08-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Holcombe is better than JP in the pocket. Why not? He has experience there. Jp's mobility however will allow Mularkey to be more creative w/ the O. In time JP will get more comfortable in the pocket. Bad habits are not easily broken when you have to run for your life like he did in Tulane.

justasportsfan
08-09-2005, 08:54 AM
I would say the BEST OPTION TO WIN no matter WHO is.
If Holcomb is better I will go with him.Same here. I don't even want to start JP in the first few games if he isn't ready. If Holcomb is better on day 1 , put him in. Don't wait til' we are 0-4 before we bring Holcomb in.

Philagape
08-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Put Holcomb in only if JP loses games for us. All I ask of JP is that he not do that; he doesn't have to be "better" than Holcomb, because in time I believe he will be. Winning and losing is more important than who the better QB is. This team is designed so Willis and the D and ST are more important to the outcomes of games than the QB is.
I think anyone would expect the experienced Holcomb to look better than JP now. But we need to test JP in real game action, because he is the future.

mysticsoto
08-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Agreed. Holcomb is currently hitting his passes better, but JP gives us an added dimension for our offense. JP will mask alot of the O-line's problems and will be able to survive longer than Holcomb would in a breakdown. Until we have a sick line like that of Oakland, KC or LA, we need to account for and have the intangibles to succeed. And JP gives us that better than Holcomb. That being said, I am very glad Holcomb is on our team!

Jan Reimers
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
A QB controversy after a week and a half of camp and one scrimmage? Kinda' early, ain't it?

Pride
08-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Its NEVER too early for some good old fashioned controversy!

chernobylwraiths
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Same here. I don't even want to start JP in the first few games if he isn't ready. If Holcomb is better on day 1 , put him in. Don't wait til' we are 0-4 before we bring Holcomb in.

:confused:

But Bledsoe was the better option to win now and people still wanted him benched last year, even when we were winning.

I also have a bit of a problem that Mikey thinks JP hasn't clicked with his receivers yet while Kelly has. JP has had a year with all of them except Roscoe and Kelly is in his first camp with them.

However, we have invested a lot in JP. Let him play but if he REALLY reeks, then we can pull him. I just don't see him playing that poorly.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I like Holcomb too, but realistically he is a career backup who, despite some big games, has struggled when thrust into a full time starting roll. He will be a great backup for JP.

I want to win NOW also, probably more than most of you, because I'm a lot older. But I'm willing to watch JP struggle a little, because he will develop into our future a lot faster by playing, rather than sitting behind a journeyman.

chernobylwraiths
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Put Holcomb in only if JP loses games for us. All I ask of JP is that he not do that; he doesn't have to be "better" than Holcomb, because in time I believe he will be. Winning and losing is more important than who the better QB is. This team is designed so Willis and the D and ST are more important to the outcomes of games than the QB is.
I think anyone would expect the experienced Holcomb to look better than JP now. But we need to test JP in real game action, because he is the future.

I agree.

chernobylwraiths
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Its NEVER too early for some good old fashioned controversy!

Bastard. You are getting a very special drink at the Brew Pub. :evil:

McGahee420
08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
its too early to start this, JP still has a solid month of preperation for the Texans. Plus he still has 4 preseason games and plenty of time to work on his mistakes. Don't give up on JP already, we have to expect this. Dang, he hasn't even shown us half of his potential yet.

Kolbiss
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Agreed. Holcomb is currently hitting his passes better, but JP gives us an added dimension for our offense. JP will mask alot of the O-line's problems and will be able to survive longer than Holcomb would in a breakdown. Until we have a sick line like that of Oakland, KC or LA, we need to account for and have the intangibles to succeed. And JP gives us that better than Holcomb. That being said, I am very glad Holcomb is on our team!

Why cant I think of the name of LA's team?

justasportsfan
08-09-2005, 10:00 AM
:confused:

But Bledsoe was the better option to win now and people still wanted him benched last year, even when we were winning.

I also have a bit of a problem that Mikey thinks JP hasn't clicked with his receivers yet while Kelly has. JP has had a year with all of them except Roscoe and Kelly is in his first camp with them.

However, we have invested a lot in JP. Let him play but if he REALLY reeks, then we can pull him. I just don't see him playing that poorly.how is Drew a better option? Jp can achieve Drews nos. from last year easy. The guy (drew)is a sitting duck in the pocket. At least w/ JP even at his current status will make D's wonder if he will roll right or left or run up the middle. Jp is more acurate than Drew w/ short passes.

mysticsoto
08-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Thinking of the LA Raiders? :snicker2: The Rams. They have a great Oline and got some excellent draft picks on top of that...

The last buffalo fan
08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't know, I'm sure Holcomb is better NOW than JP, and I'm also willing to let Holcomb to start the season for us. But my common sense is not working properly lately, and a BIG, HUGE hunch, is telling me that JP is what we need, and that he should start. He has all the tools and the guts, to take us to the promised land that we belong, SUPER BOWL no less!!

Saratoga Slim
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm with you on that one.

Bill Brasky
08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
It may not just be that his throws are off, I think he still needs some more time to click with the receivers. Well if that's the case, shouldn't Holcomb's development in this system be behind Losman's considering J.P. has had an extra year to work with these guys?

Kind of hard to argue that Holcomb has come in and hit every target in his first stint here. True, J.P. is young and was injured most of last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if J.P. struggles A LOT to see Holcomb take some snaps this year.

But regardless of how well Holcomb does, there's no way he takes over the starter role in the first half of the season. This franchise has put too much stock in Losman to just flip flop back and forth between QB's. Losman is the man, unless he really stinks it up, Ryan Leaf style (Knock on wood) :scared:

mayotm
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Sorry folks. There isn't a QB controversy. Only in some of your minds. JP is the starter. Period.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Sorry folks. There isn't a QB controversy. Only in some of your minds. JP is the starter. Period.
:bf1:

Kolbiss
08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Thinking of the LA Raiders? :snicker2: The Rams. They have a great Oline and got some excellent draft picks on top of that...

AHH!!....ok. Was trying way to hard to think of modern day LA team. :D:

Rhettoric
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Is Holcomb even playing with the first team? If he is not then it is hard to compare them. Missing a few passes against the second ranked defense is not to be unexpected!

Typ0
08-09-2005, 11:45 AM
KH played pretty well in cleveland I was watching those games closely. He made a couple late mistakes that cost a couple games...but he also instrumented some big points late in games as well. I like KH and he's young. Let's not forget he does have experience and might be about to break out and tie up his loose ends and become a successful starter in the league. As far as JP is concerned...no doubt he has the tools and the talent...but he also needs to time to be coached in the QB skills he needs on the field. That's not something you get in the film room or from paper. It takes practices and playing time. That being said...I'm all for the best QB right now to be starting on day 1.

mybills
08-09-2005, 11:54 AM
We should just use BOTH of them and really screw with the other teams. :evil:

Kerr
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
If JP does bad or gets injured, and holcomb does good, then you better believe there will be a qb controversy. Half the fan base will want JP cut etc..

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 01:17 PM

:up:

:goodpost:

frank74
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
i really don't think there's much of a controversy yet, but one thing i'd like to mention is that even though tory woodbury played with the 3rd or 4th string, he looked pretty good. he's really fast, he's got a great arm and just an overall good demeanor about him. i wouldn't be surprised to see matthews released. as far as jp, he'll be fine. i liked how he didn't hesitate to get out of the pocket when he needed to, but he still needs a bit of patience. anyway, only time will tell.

Typ0
08-09-2005, 07:32 PM

"controversy" is a fan word...we like the drama. The reality is all jobs should be open and competetive.

ublinkwescore
08-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I think we give the nod to JP in week one regardless of who looks better in camp and preseason. We did draft JP because of the physical tools he brings to the table, and I can't wait to see Mularkey's magic playbook with his obvious dream quarterback (there's no way in hell we would have given up that much to get him if they didn't have a strong feeling about him at this level). If JP contributes to us losing that game in anyway - then we bench him and put him back on clean up duty like we did last year after we had already put teams away - but we need to take risks and bring him in earlier - before we've got that 20 point lead - I'd say once we're up on a team by 13 points it's JP time. the same thing with game #2 against the Falcons - it's Losman's job to lose - not Holcombe's job to win.

Start Losman PERIOD.

vicmantak
08-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Start the best option to WIN PERIOD.

Mr. Cynical
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
if jp gets hurt again or struggles holcomb will be a rock off the bench, so we just start JP and we have a plan B

win win
yep

Tinboy
08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
We'll see at the first pre-season game who good JP is, but he is the starter unless something dramatic is happening.