PDA

View Full Version : To those who wanted Henson...

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 09:40 AM
he is sucking a fat one... just like when he did nothing in college.. this guy always was a joke.

Henson's status gets shakier every day

By GIL LEBRETON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - Twelve months ago, he was the hottest thing in camp.

Drew Henson, we were convinced, was the future of the Cowboys. The darling of the radio talk-show set. The next -- fanfare and drum roll, please -- Troy Aikman.

In Henson, the question last summer wasn't if he would take over the Cowboys' No. 1 quarterback job, but when.

When was the former Michigan star, after taking off four years to play baseball, going to become accustomed to throwing a football again? When was Henson going to become comfortable with coach Bill Parcells' offense? When was Henson going to take over 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde's starting job?

Hope you're not still waiting.

Seventeen months have passed since owner Jerry Jones made him a Cowboy, and quarterback Drew Henson is struggling.

His timing is off. His passes have been errant. Too low. Too high. Too everything.

Last Saturday's scrimmage provided the fitting synopsis to Henson's first week in training camp. His long pass to Ahmad Merritt soared high and true, but seemed to wither about one stride short of its mark -- incomplete. Henson completed only four of his next 12 passes, failing to reach the end zone.

Don't jump to conclusions, Parcells has cautioned the media.

"I'm not going to go into those guys yet," he said Monday morning, dodging a question about his three quarterbacks. "I told you that I'll talk about them after a couple of [preseason] games."

It doesn't take a sociology degree, however, to see that in newcomer Drew Bledsoe, Parcells has a No. 1 quarterback whom he feels he can trust. Bledsoe's training camp performance thus far could best be described as confident, but unspectacular.

Not that Parcells is looking for spectacular.

Henson, meanwhile, has been undistinguished to the point of prompting some sideline-watchers to think he might be losing his No. 2 status to Tony Romo.

Henson admitted he didn't have a good first scrimmage.

"Yeah, I would have liked to have been more effective," he said. "I've got to make the corrections, learn from my mistakes and keep moving forward. I don't have time to look back."

Parcells may not have time, either. He has structured practices to give equal opportunities to all three quarterbacks -- equal snaps, equal attempts in the two-minute drill and equal playing time once preseason games begin.

Henson shrugged off a question about that putting added pressure on him and Romo.

"I don't think I need to try to come out and prove anything," Henson said Monday. "I just need to concentrate on getting better each day, and hopefully that will help the team win games."

If something is bothering Henson, in other words, he isn't about to announce it where Parcells can read it.

His arm, for example. Henson's arm looks tired.

You won't hear him say that.

But even the sideline passes that Henson seemed to throw so crisply last summer appear to have lost a little of their mustard.

When Parcells was asked Monday if anything was wrong with Henson's arm, the coach shook his head.

"Not that I'm aware of," Parcells answered.

During the off-season, it was well documented that Cowboys coaches tried to get Henson to change his throwing motion from a baseball-like three-quarters delivery to a release point that is more over the top.

Parcells alluded to Henson throwing "5,000 passes" in workouts.

And now he comes to this training camp and Henson finds that three, not a more-customary four, quarterbacks will be splitting the duties.

So do the math. Add the warm-up tosses. The two-minute drills. The seven-on-seven sessions.

On a typical day, a quarterback at this Cowboys camp is going to throw in excess of 150 footballs. Every day. With only one day off since the team arrived in Oxnard.

Yes, Bledsoe and Romo are on the same diet of passes. But they didn't throw "5,000 passes" in preparation for this camp, either.

Henson won't complain. He's smart -- valedictorian of his high school class in Brighton, Mich. He's personable and glib. His time wearing the Yankees' pinstripes has given him a mature 25-year-old's perspective.

A year ago, he was the hottest thing in camp. Now, Henson returns from practice each afternoon with ice packs secured in various places along his throwing arm.

By not critiquing his quarterbacks yet, Parcells may well be damning Henson with his silence. Not that Parcells has ever shown any evidence of favored-son treatment toward Henson.

On the contrary, of course. Once Henson was needlessly pulled from the Bears game last season, he never got to throw a pass again.

Don't jump to conclusions about the quarterbacks, Bill Parcells says.

Too late.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/football/12338765.htm

Italian Stallion
08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I remember when this board was flooded with demands that we trade for him......I'll go out on a limb and say were in a much better place right now!

lordofgun
08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
He's still better than Bledsoe. :snicker:

casdhf
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I hated him from the start :up:

McGahee420
08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
whats up with quarterbacks named Drew??? :drool:

mysticsoto
08-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Drew Brees appears to be doing okay so far...let's see if he can maintain last year's performance...

lordofgun
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Bledsoe's training camp performance thus far could best be described as confident, but unspectacular.
:rofl: Pretty much sums up his career.

The Spaz
08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Matt Schaub on the otherhand...:snicker:

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 10:23 AM
jeff smoker is the guy i wanted, and he is doing very well according to rams reports.. obviously schaub id doing great too.. but i think you have to run the WC offense for him.. which doesnt really fit us.. but he has looked great.. he reminds me of matt hassleback.

OpIv37
08-09-2005, 10:46 AM
this is a good time for an "I told you so...."- I never thought bringing in Henson was a good idea, and while Bledsoe didn't work out, there's no way in hell we would have had that huge win streak and a shot at the playoffs with Henson. I'd much rather have our QB situation at the moment than Dallas'.

What's with Parcells and last decade's QB's? He needs to get with the times.

DraftBoy
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Ok I wanted Henson in here for a lil bit and I thought he could be the QB he was at Michigan which was solid and not spectacular. He didnt win games there and he didnt lose them either. Which is what I thought/think we need in a QB. He obviously will never regain that form. So ill eat my crow and say, I was wrong. As for Smoker he has only looked good in practice and has yet to see any game time play so until then Ill withold jusgement as to whether or not he is any good.

Night Train
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I like Drew Carey. I bet he could throw a better screen pass than Bledsoe, thick waist/glasses and all.

Meathead
08-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I’m in the “never wanted him” camp, too. I couldn’t figure out what the hell was the big deal about a guy who had played, what, one or two seasons of college football? It made no sense but people were all over the guy.

:lolpoint: DraftBoy

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 12:06 PM
he never even played a full season in college.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I still think he was worth the 3rd round pick that was given for him. I wouldn't give up on him already.

HHURRICANE
08-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Where's Philosicphical Troll?! Must be reading the camp news that his his teams sucks and Spears is out for a month!

Kerr
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I really didn't want Henson. I was in the philip rivers camp.

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I still think he was worth the 3rd round pick that was given for him. I wouldn't give up on him already.

you would.

:snicker:

mysticsoto
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Where's Philosicphical Troll?! Must be reading the camp news that his his teams sucks and Spears is out for a month!
Too many people put him on their Ignore List and just as I thought - he finally went away.

casdhf
08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
you would.

:snicker:
Hey, at least he's sticking to his guns, even if they are guns on a sinking ship

Tatonka
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
the henson ship never floated to begin with.

the guy was a stiff in college who never posted good numbers or played over any extended period of time.. he was all name.. that is it.

casdhf
08-09-2005, 02:46 PM
he can throw 80 yards on one knee, which by the way is a realistic game-time situation. Whats not to love? :::

The_Philster
08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
the henson ship never floated to begin with.the guy was a stiff in college who never posted good numbers or played over any extended period of time.. he was all name.. that is it.:rofl: I love it...a wash-out in baseball really thought he'd make it as an NFL QB?

Gunzlingr
08-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Too many people put him on their Ignore List and just as I thought - he finally went away.I am pretty sure some super intelligent mod banned him for flaming.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Actually T, from what I have been hearing, JP hasn't exactly been blowing people away and he cost a 1st round pick.

L.A. Playa
08-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Drew Henson probably will still be starting half way through the year because the Tuna gets pissed at Drew Bledsoe holding on to the ball too long and taking too many sacks