• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Givens vs. Evans

I just had a debate with a Pats fan who was crapping on Lee Evans. The numbers last year show that Evans was better than any reciever in New England. My point was that Evans was a rookie and as good as his numbers were last year he is still only a rookie. At the same point his numbers may take a bit of a hit this year as I imagine we will pass a bit less and spread the ball out a bit more with Parrish in the picture.

One thing I couldn't overlook however was Givens value. He was drafted 42nd pick in the 7th round. Thats pretty impressive.

David Givens vs Lee Evans

If you had to build a team which reciever would you rather build your offense around? Try not to be a homer.

I would take Evans for a few reasons. He is small, but his quickness really allows him to beat tight coverage at the last second. He has great awareness on the field and he gives the offense the opportunity to stretch the field.
    Evans can also be effective inbetween the hash marks too. I would give Givens the edge in the hash but Givens does not have the downfield strengths. Both players leave there ego's at home but I really feel Evans gives an offense more dimension.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Re: Givens vs. Evans

I'll give Evans the nod on hands too. He's sticky. You're right about their respective attitudes, they're similarly modest.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
      I just had a debate with a Pats fan who was crapping on Lee Evans. The numbers last year show that Evans was better than any reciever in New England.
      He wasn't, and isn't better than Branch. Deion's numbers were hurt by the time he missed to a knee injury, but Deion developed into a #1 WR last year. Evans may eventually, for he has a lot of talent, but right now I'd take Deion over him.

As for Givens, I'd take Evans over him right now. Givens is very strong, but he isn't the kind of deep threat that Evans is and his hands aren't the greatest. Givens is a very good athlete and has worked hard to make himself a better player, but his hands are still suspect. He will occasionally bobble or drop balls that are catchable. He is a very good WR who does a surprisingly good job running after the catch, but he is made better by playing with Brady. I think David Terrell may end up surpassing him at some point this year.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

Evans - I'm a homer.
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

One season makes it very difficult to determine the value of a young receiver.

While some receivers hop into the league and light it up, others take as much as 3 years to develop into a top notch starter.

Now, Evans #'s last year do appear to put him near the top of the WR rookie list, but let's not forget what Peerless did here in Buffalo as well. I think we tend to forget the system, and all that is involved in determining what makes someone one of the best. Peerless obviously didn't have it, but some would have argued until they were blue in the face that he did.

So, before deciding you need to ask the question; Is Evans really that good, or did Moulds and the system make him better? I don't think this can be answered without seeing another season from Evans first.

Givens is in a similar situation as well. He is one of those receivers that need to time to come into their own. This season should be the determining factor, however.

If Evans takes a step back this season (in stats), can you hold him responsible as long as he is giving the team exactly what they ask of him? No, he gets at least 2 more years to prove himself.

Same with Givens. He has done everything the Patriots have asked of him. This season they will demand even more. Will he respond positively?

Only time will tell.

Comment

• bledslow
            • May 2004

i would not take him over branch but i might over givens. the only negative aboutbranch is that he is injury prone.i disagree about givens on the deep ball,i see him beating his man quite often going deep.anf givens has proven himself on te bigest stages in pro football(playoffs/SUPERBOWL). but i do think evans is better.but givens might put up better numbers this year since evans has nobody to throw to him.and of course givens has THE MAN throwing to him.

Comment

• vicmantak
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by NE39
              He wasn't, and isn't better than Branch. Deion's numbers were hurt by the time he missed to a knee injury, but Deion developed into a #1 WR last year. Evans may eventually, for he has a lot of talent, but right now I'd take Deion over him.

As for Givens, I'd take Evans over him right now. Givens is very strong, but he isn't the kind of deep threat that Evans is and his hands aren't the greatest. Givens is a very good athlete and has worked hard to make himself a better player, but his hands are still suspect. He will occasionally bobble or drop balls that are catchable. He is a very good WR who does a surprisingly good job running after the catch, but he is made better by playing with Brady. I think David Terrell may end up surpassing him at some point this year.
              Time will tell but without Charlie Weis, Patriots offense will drastically change to a Kansas City type of offense.
              They will be almost a time consuming offense based on a powered running attack with Adam Vinatieri as their insurance so I can't see too much success on their WR's numbers because Brady will use his TEs more frequently (specially against teams that lack LB corps) and his passing dimension will be reduced only to his 1st and 3rd WRs.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
              - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Tinboy
                • Aug 2004

Evans had a very good season last year, but this one will be more difficult. I recon it will at least two more years before we can say if Evans will have the same success as Moulds.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I'd rather have Evans. Givens probably has some veteran tricks up his sleeve that Evans hasn't learned yet, but Evans pro bowl potential written all over him.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Konyeezie
                    • Feb 2005

Evans.

Hands down.
                    No Debate.

Next

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                      • Mar 2004

Evans for sure.

I absolutely WOULD take Lee over any of the NE WR's.

Evans showed in the second half last year that he has allt he potential in the world to be a #1 WR in the NFL. Great speed, good routes, fantastic hands, highlight reel catches.... he's got it all. The only knock on him is his size, but he makes up for it with great leaping ability and most importantly, his agressiveness when going after the ball.

The patriots get amazing production in a control offense with a bunch of #2 WR's. None of them a as good as Lee is going to be.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                        Evans for sure.

I absolutely WOULD take Lee over any of the NE WR's.

Evans showed in the second half last year that he has allt he potential in the world to be a #1 WR in the NFL. Great speed, good routes, fantastic hands, highlight reel catches.... he's got it all. The only knock on him is his size, but he makes up for it with great leaping ability and most importantly, his agressiveness when going after the ball.

The patriots get amazing production in a control offense with a bunch of #2 WR's. None of them a as good as Lee is going to be.
                        I would take Lee also, but I think Bethel Johnson has tremendous potential...I wouldn't discount him as a valuable NE WR that might make waves in the future...

Comment

• The King
                          Without me it's just Awe so
                          • Jun 2004

Bethel is as dumb as a rock and has no hands. He is on the verge of losing his job if he doesnt step up this season
                          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                          It was all
                          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
                            Bethel is as dumb as a rock and has no hands. He is on the verge of losing his job if he doesnt step up this season
                            The guy has been hurt. He is on the PUP after offseason ankle surgery. He could start the season there.

Besides, his problems have been more related to maturity than intelligence. I don't think it fair to call him dumb, but based on his actions it is fair to say he needs to mature. Of course, there are a lot of WR you could say that about.

Whether Bethel makes the jump and lives up to his potential is still up in the air, but you can't question the guys tools. He has rare speed and top athleticism, and he has proven to be a very good kick returner. Of course, he also has trouble staying healthy.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                              Deion Branch is a better player. Lee has tremendous potential, but Deion is a very dangerous WR right now. He was like Marvin Harrison in the playoffs last year.

Branch is the better player right now, and we will see how they develop down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X