PDA

View Full Version : Takeo Spikes will be a Buffalo Bill if he really wants to be

PA Season Ticket Holder
12-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Tom Donahoe and Gregg Williams got too see this guy up close and personal a combined 10 times. They've probably said that he's a guy they wished they had on their teams more than once.

Now here they are together trying to build a team and Takeo Spikes is coming up for Free Agency. Tom Donahoe always had good LB's in Pittsburgh and I don't see Buffalo being any different. There wasn't really many great LB's available this year and we also didn't have much money to spend. This year is different and I see TD going for Spikes or settling on Colvin if Spikes price is too high. If they don't believe Newman is the answer then I think they'll go for another 2nd Tier LB or draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round if there is a good one available.

This is a match made in heaven. We need a dominant playmaker on defense and Takeo needs an up and rising team with youth and intensity after being stuck in Cincinatti for 5 years. He wouldn't really have to move very far and he could stay in the same part of the United States.

Spikes doesn't seem like somebody looking for attention and would probably like the idea of coming to a quiet town like Buffalo. I don't see him going for the spotlight sideshow like Ray Lewis. Takeo just wants to win football games and we need somebody who can help us win them. I say we should go for it.

Even if we don't get Spikes, isn't it nice to see a great player actually trying to promote himself to Buffalo instead of a flashier city where he could get more attention and fame? Hopefully this will be a changing of the tides for us. We're a good team with a lot of youth that's primed for a Superbowl run for the next few years. Hopefully it's enough to entice Spikes to come and for Price to stay.

clumping platelets
12-30-2002, 11:44 PM
If he's not "tagged" then chances are pretty good. Only a handful of teams can really pursue him "cap wise"

ublinkwescore
12-30-2002, 11:49 PM
I've got my fingers crossed.

JefftheBillsfan
12-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Let's not forget Jerimiah Trotter was tagged too...

Ingtar33
12-31-2002, 12:11 AM
I could have swore that the Bengals have used the tag on Dillon... The only reference I can find for the Bengals tagging Spikes is using a "transitional" FA tag on him. That means they can reserve the right to match any offer (amusingly enough the Bengals really don’t have a lot of FA money to spend on Spikes, with what looks like a 7mil under the cap offseason for them). Additionally, if the Bengals do have a Franchise tag to use, that would pay Spikes something in the realm of 7mil/season (avg salary of Lewis, Trotier, Urlacher, Brooks, and Seau).

clumping platelets
12-31-2002, 12:20 AM
We can only continue to hope :pray:

Typ0
12-31-2002, 12:25 AM
They didn't tag Dillion he signed a four or five year contract I think.

clumping platelets
12-31-2002, 12:29 AM
He may have been "tagged" (either transition or franchise) and then signed 1 yr tender and then "re-negotiated" the 1 yr tender into long term deal. Cincinnati then retains the "tag" for future use

The_Philster
12-31-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Let's not forget Jerimiah Trotter was tagged too...

Philly eventually dropped that tag because Trotter wasn't signing the contract.

Novacane
12-31-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Typ0
They didn't tag Dillion he signed a four or five year contract I think.

I'll bet he regrets that!