PDA

View Full Version : Gates faster than we thought...

mysticsoto
08-10-2005, 08:14 AM
I didn't know Gates has 4.4 speed ??? Apparently, at the combine, he ran a 4.7 b'cse of a bruised thigh that he tried to tough it out through. But he's really normally faster and has returned to his true form. No wonder he's getting so many reps at TC and shown to be doing well. We may have gotten a steal b'cse of his bad combine performance and b'cse he was over shadowed by Eric Shelton and Michael Bush in college...

"When I was at the combine I wasn't at 100 percent," Gates said. "I tried to tough it out and run anyways and unfortunately ran a low time. But in previous years I've been running 4.4's. So I'm back 100 percent, top notch. I'm ready to go."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3301

madness
08-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I didn't expect him to be that fast either. Heck, I didn't expect this guy to do anything in camp.

Now he has a good chance of taking the #2 spot. :bf1:

OpIv37
08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
he saw limited action in the scrimmage, but I do have to say I was really impressed with his speed. From Mikey's TC report, it looks like he's locking up the #2 spot behind Willis.

justasportsfan
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
I think this guy could be a better version of Morris. IMO he could take Joe Burns' job away if he can block. I know he can run the ball better than Burns. This kid is huge and if only he learns how to stiff arm like Willis can, we should have one hell of a rb depth.

Of all the later rd. picks or undrafted players I liked from last year, I liked Baker the most the minute I saw him at camp. This year, Gates is my pick from what I've seen so far.

Mr. Cynical
08-10-2005, 08:24 AM
"Definitely it's a friendly group back there," he said. "No animosity. Everybody's working well together and everybody wants to succeed. It's just friendly competition."

I always have to laugh when I read this statement. Every back says the same thing and it's totally false.

madness
08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
"Definitely it's a friendly group back there," he said. "No animosity. Everybody's working well together and everybody wants to succeed. It's just friendly competition."

I always have to laugh when I read this statement. Every back says the same thing and it's totally false.
:rofl: Didn't TH say something to that effect last year?

casdhf
08-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Maybe after he said, "that's a slap in the face." Not sure if it was before or after he was Tony Danza-ing 14-year-old sluts

HHURRICANE
08-10-2005, 08:58 AM
See this is why everyone needs to pay attention. Lionel Gates has the size and speed and was a steal in the draft. I had a feeling he was going to #2 because he fits our type of offense perfectly. I am pumped, however someone is going to get cut!

casdhf
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
iT IS GOOD NEWS

colin
08-10-2005, 09:40 AM
i think we underrate our FO ability to draft good players in later rounds.

we shouldn't be surprised when we get a solid player late, we've done that a few times.

a burner back up RB is exactly what we need, this should be a good season

TigerJ
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I think Buffalo's scouting department is top notch. They are well staffed and committed to get the whole story on players. Thus, they dig deeper for info than a lot of teams and do things like discover why a combine performance was sub par.

Tatonka
08-10-2005, 10:08 AM
i think gates will be the next terrell davis!

:couch:

Gunzlingr
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
I always read good things on our ability to get UDFAs that are overlooked but other teams and contribute.

dannyek71
08-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Backs:
1) WM
2) LG
3) Shaud
4) Lee
Burns = cut

Kerr
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I think it's a race between gates and williams. Gates is another type of power back, while Williams is a warrick dunn type of runner.

FlyingDutchman
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Definately Burns is the one that gets cut. Ive seen coaches yelling at him in practice and he hasn't dont crap...

That Guy
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I think Lee is gonna be the one who gets cut.

Italian Stallion
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I think Lee is gonna be the one who gets cut.

I think Lee gets cut as well.....I've been saying since the first day of camp that Gates is gonna be the backup..He looks like a 3 year pro out there, and I can't wait to see him play Saturday against Indy.

Burns will be kept for his special teams talent, i can almost guarentee it. Lee can't cover kicks, and that's why he gets the boot.

mysticsoto
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Personally, I think Burns should get cut and that we should keep all 3 (Lee, Gates and Williams). Since we are primarily a run 1st team, we need to have a load of backs to step in if one should fall. Perhaps Lee or Gates should take Burns position as backup FB - the one who blocks the best (Lee ?). Neufeld could also step in as backup FB. He's done it before and will be fine. I think losing any of these fine RBs would be a tragedy. And if we were to put Gates in our PS, somebody (Jacksonville?) will snatch him quickly!!!

BBUnit1974
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
i think gates will be the next terrell davis!

:couch:

LifetimeBillsFan
08-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I agree that Gates has an excellent shot at going into the season as the Bills' # 2 RB. I thought he would be a good pick-up for the Bills before the draft and said so on draft day when he was picked. I actually expected him to go a couple of rounds higher than he did.

I knew, from seeing him play at Louisville, that L.Gates had the potential to be a good back-up RB for the Bills, if he was given an opportunity to show what he could do and was able to adjust to the pro game (especially the blitz pick-ups) quickly enough. The only thing I wasn't sure of was whether, with S.Williams, R.Lee and J.Burns, the Bills coaches would give Gates enough opportunities to have a real chance to compete for a position.

It's hard to tell how fast or slow a guy is when you watch a college game on TV, but, while Gates didn't look as fast as E.Shelton or M.Bush, he didn't look like he was that much slower than either of them when I saw him play. It appeared to me that his coaches considered him to be the most reliable of that threesome because, even though Shelton was the big name guy and Bush was the "star of the future", Gates was the guy who was always in the game in crucial situations, like third downs and short-yardage in the red zone, etc. The only thing that I think dropped him down in the draft--and that left me with a question about his ability to make the Bills--was his 40 time at the Combine.

If he continues to improve on what he has shown thus farr in camp, I can definitely see him being a quality # 2 RB for the Bills this season. Because Shaud Wiliams give the team a nice "change of pace" at the position, I can see J.Burns and, perhaps even, R.Lee getting cut.

Tinboy
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM
I liked what i saw from Williams last year and Gates have been a a big surprise so far, Lee has to shape up. Burns will be cut.

Voltron
08-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I was at camp last night and Gates really impressed me as did Shaud. Both are very quick to the hole. Gates had one run between the right guard and right tackle and he hit Haggen so hard it knocked him on his ass and then he ran right over him before being dragged down by 2 other players. This kid looks good!

Voltron
08-11-2005, 07:33 AM
I :pray: he makes the team so I can have a Jersey with my last name on it :D

I will get it custom made if I have to :up:

Tatonka
08-11-2005, 07:39 AM
what is so special with having a "gate" jersey?

Voltron
08-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Gates is my last name! ... I guess you didn't read the entire post :shakeno:

TigerJ
08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
I think it's a lock that Williams and Gates make the team. Either or both Lee and Burns could get cut. I've been saying for a year, I'd like to see an upgrade from Burns. He's a solid special teamer and can block OK, but I think you could take a guy off the street and he would run as well as Burns. Un less none of the other guys can play special teams worth a darn, I think Burns has outlived his usefulness.

casdhf
08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
ST is important to this team, I'd rather see a good ST player stay, than a player that has a slight edge at his natural position. Especially considering that the 4th HB, will get maybe 2 carries the entire season? Betweens Burns and Lee, I'd take Burns.

mysticsoto
08-11-2005, 09:25 AM
ST is important to this team, I'd rather see a good ST player stay, than a player that has a slight edge at his natural position. Especially considering that the 4th HB, will get maybe 2 carries the entire season? Betweens Burns and Lee, I'd take Burns.
I think Gates plays ST also. Besides, our ST is great already. At the RB position, I rather keep whoever is best. Since we are a running team, we need to be concerned with having great depth since we will be working WM a great deal and chances are he could get tired, banged up, or really hurt. We need to have backups that could step in and not miss a beat with our style of offense. If we can't, then we put a whole great deal of pressure on our rookie QB and that's really the last thing we want to do.

And I wouldn't discount Lee. He was brought in b'cse he was a clone of Willis - just a tad bit slower. But he lit it up in Dallas whenever he was put in. That is something Burns has never done. I think Burns is definitely gone and I hope we keep all 3 backup RBs and eithe place one at FB (Lee) or use Neufeld as the backup FB. I think the RBs that we have are really good, and I'd love to see a team like Jax come to us asking for one of our backups. I do know that if we put Gates on the PS, he will be gone!!!