X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MustWin
    • Aug 2004

Help!

Hey guys, I've decided I'm going to start following the NHL this year. I'm going to be a Sabres fan.....

can you guys give me a little background on the team? Like team history, key players, what the front office is like, our chances for next year etc.

Thanks a bunch
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: Help!

Small market team, never won a Stanley Cup, usually competative but not lately. Key players are going to be Vanek (rookie) Briere and Drury and whoever they decide to start in goal (hopefully Ryan Miller). Front office is GM Darcy Regier and most think he isn't fit to run a McDonalds. Ruff is coach and some feel his chance to win here has come and gone and they have signed nobody of significance since the biggest FA period in the history of sports has just passed. As it stands right now, the Sabres have stood pat on a team that couldn't make the playoffs for the last three seasons so this years outlook looks bleak IMO.

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

We've never won anything, our front office is cheap, we don't have any key players, and we have zero shot of winning in the near future.

Hope that helps.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

The Leafs suck.

We have the worst coach in the league, he'd find a way to ruin a line of Forsberg, Naslund, and Nash. We have a billionaire owner and still spend no money. TV broadcasts will be 2nd to the Rangers.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• MustWin
          • Aug 2004

Hmmmm....maybe I don't want to be a Sabres fan after all LOL

thanks for the info guys

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

hey you never know...we really arnt that bad of a franchise give us 20 games at least....
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Makaveli
              #1 Noronen-Satan Fan
              • Sep 2003

and you people call yourself Sabres fans....

History:
              Team started in 1970, selecting Gilbert Perreault as their first overall pick, our all time biggest players include the French Connection, Gilbert Perreault (1191 games, 512 goals, 1326 points), Rene Robert (744 games, 284 goals, 702 points) and Rick Martin (685 games, 384 goals, 701 points), others include Pat Lafontaine, Alex Mogilny, Dale Hawerchuk and Dominik Hasek. We have reached the Stanley Cup finals twice in our history, in 1975 vs Philly, and in 1999 vs Dallas, where one of the most controversial if not THE most controversial goals in NHL history occured when Brett Hull scored in overtime of game 6 while his foot was in the crease (which was illegal that season) and the refs didnt call it, so that was the closest we came to the cup.

Players:
              Some of our key players NOW include Daniel Briere, Maxim Afinogenov, Dmitri Kalinin and Chris Drury, BUT, we have a LOT of young talent that has a lot of potential, up and comers include Derek Roy, Ales Kotalik, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Miller and Mika Noronen which is a personal favorite, others might disagree heh.

Office:
              only a couple of years ago, Tom Golisano, a Rochester billionare baught the Sabres out of bankrupcy due to our previous owner cheating money out of the business or something like that? next, we got a GM, Darcy Regeir that doesnt have a sweet clue what he's at, right now for example while other teams are going crazy signing big players, Regeir is sleeping and the only thing he has really done is got rid of 2 of our bigest key players, Satan and Zhitnik, and he only signed Teppo Numminen to fill the defensive void, but we still need defense beyond that which seems to be our main problem... NOW... Satan was our leading goal scorer for years so we really need someone to fill the scoring void, so thats why out GM sucks... now onto our coach Lindy Ruff.... I cant speak a lot about him but I can tell you this, he has the worst goalie format ever, we have 2 good goalies, Martin Biron and Mika Noronen, he will play one goalie till they lose a game, then he'll play the other goalie till HE loses a game and he keeps alternating, it's a really bad system. But honestly I don't think out office is enough of a reason to NOT like the Sabres.

Next Year:
              hmmmm, this is a tough one, I used to think we'd be able to make the playoffs at least but now that we got rid of Satan and didnt pick anyone up then I'm really not sure, if we pick up some scoring talent before the season starts then I think we can AT LEAST make the playoffs, but if we dont pick up a natural goal scorer or just someone like Satan like Peter Bondra or Teemu Selanne then we don't stand a chance...

Overall:
              I think the Sabres are a very fun team to watch and we have a lot of hard workers like Adam Mair who is probably the best example, and we have a player to match any one of your needs, if you like fighters, we have Andrew Peters who is gunna be one of the best fighters in the league in a few years IMO, if you like gritty players, we have Adam Mair and Mike Grier, if you like playmakers than we have Danny Briere or if you just like players that can do anything with a puck and make your hair stand up on the back of your neck just watching them, than Maxim Afinogenov is the man for that...

I really think that the Sabres would be a good choice for any hockey fan looking for a fun exciting team to watch...

don't mind all these so called Sabres fans who told u otherwise haha they're just bitter cuz we havent signed anyone real big :)

hope this helps,
              Matt

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                Small market team, never won a Stanley Cup, usually competative but not lately. Key players are going to be Vanek (rookie) Briere and Drury and whoever they decide to start in goal (hopefully Ryan Miller). Front office is GM Darcy Regier and most think he isn't fit to run a McDonalds. Ruff is coach and some feel his chance to win here has come and gone and they have signed nobody of significance since the biggest FA period in the history of sports has just passed. As it stands right now, the Sabres have stood pat on a team that couldn't make the playoffs for the last three seasons so this years outlook looks bleak IMO.
                about your comments on DR...you are being ignorant and ungrateful. A couple seasons ago we were questioning whether we would have a team at all...what do you expect him to do? The franchise HAS to make $$$ not be a sink hole for the owner. Wake up and smell the coffee my friend...

Comment

• MustWin
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Makaveli
                  and you people call yourself Sabres fans....

History:
                  Team started in 1970, selecting Gilbert Perreault as their first overall pick, our all time biggest players include the French Connection, Gilbert Perreault (1191 games, 512 goals, 1326 points), Rene Robert (744 games, 284 goals, 702 points) and Rick Martin (685 games, 384 goals, 701 points), others include Pat Lafontaine, Alex Mogilny, Dale Hawerchuk and Dominik Hasek. We have reached the Stanley Cup finals twice in our history, in 1975 vs Philly, and in 1999 vs Dallas, where one of the most controversial if not THE most controversial goals in NHL history occured when Brett Hull scored in overtime of game 6 while his foot was in the crease (which was illegal that season) and the refs didnt call it, so that was the closest we came to the cup.

Players:
                  Some of our key players NOW include Daniel Briere, Maxim Afinogenov, Dmitri Kalinin and Chris Drury, BUT, we have a LOT of young talent that has a lot of potential, up and comers include Derek Roy, Ales Kotalik, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Miller and Mika Noronen which is a personal favorite, others might disagree heh.

Office:
                  only a couple of years ago, Tom Golisano, a Rochester billionare baught the Sabres out of bankrupcy due to our previous owner cheating money out of the business or something like that? next, we got a GM, Darcy Regeir that doesnt have a sweet clue what he's at, right now for example while other teams are going crazy signing big players, Regeir is sleeping and the only thing he has really done is got rid of 2 of our bigest key players, Satan and Zhitnik, and he only signed Teppo Numminen to fill the defensive void, but we still need defense beyond that which seems to be our main problem... NOW... Satan was our leading goal scorer for years so we really need someone to fill the scoring void, so thats why out GM sucks... now onto our coach Lindy Ruff.... I cant speak a lot about him but I can tell you this, he has the worst goalie format ever, we have 2 good goalies, Martin Biron and Mika Noronen, he will play one goalie till they lose a game, then he'll play the other goalie till HE loses a game and he keeps alternating, it's a really bad system. But honestly I don't think out office is enough of a reason to NOT like the Sabres.

Next Year:
                  hmmmm, this is a tough one, I used to think we'd be able to make the playoffs at least but now that we got rid of Satan and didnt pick anyone up then I'm really not sure, if we pick up some scoring talent before the season starts then I think we can AT LEAST make the playoffs, but if we dont pick up a natural goal scorer or just someone like Satan like Peter Bondra or Teemu Selanne then we don't stand a chance...

Overall:
                  I think the Sabres are a very fun team to watch and we have a lot of hard workers like Adam Mair who is probably the best example, and we have a player to match any one of your needs, if you like fighters, we have Andrew Peters who is gunna be one of the best fighters in the league in a few years IMO, if you like gritty players, we have Adam Mair and Mike Grier, if you like playmakers than we have Danny Briere or if you just like players that can do anything with a puck and make your hair stand up on the back of your neck just watching them, than Maxim Afinogenov is the man for that...

I really think that the Sabres would be a good choice for any hockey fan looking for a fun exciting team to watch...

don't mind all these so called Sabres fans who told u otherwise haha they're just bitter cuz we havent signed anyone real big :)

hope this helps,
                  Matt

Thank you very much. That really helped.

How easy is it to get tickets? I'll be going to UB next year and I'm definetly interested in going to a few games.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MustWin
                    Thank you very much. That really helped.

How easy is it to get tickets? I'll be going to UB next year and I'm definetly interested in going to a few games.

it depends on the day of the week and the opponent...but generally speaking you should be able to get tickets.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                      • Aug 2002

You can be like Mikey and sell your body for tickets.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                        about your comments on DR...you are being ignorant and ungrateful. A couple seasons ago we were questioning whether we would have a team at all...what do you expect him to do? The franchise HAS to make $$$ not be a sink hole for the owner. Wake up and smell the coffee my friend...
                        WTF is that supposed to mean? Most people think he is an idiot and a terrible GM. If you think he is OK then fine. I guess you are happy with a GM that has his players making his trades for him, a man that goes out to get Bob Corkum at the deadline to help a late season run, a guy whose only significant sigining this year is a 38 year old defensement whose better days are WELL behind him. No need to call me ignorant for saying what thousands of fans around the Buffalo area are also saying.

I'm supposed to be grateful that he has lead a team into three straight non post seasons? WTF do you get this? This new collective bargaining agreement is supposed to have clubs sharing more so that the have nots don't lose so much money. We are supposed to be more competative now because we aren't supposed to be losing as much if any anymore. Don't you think more people would buy tickets if they knew they would get to see a superstar every night? If anyone is being ignorant around here, it is you with a remark like that.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis
                          The Leafs suck.

We have the worst coach in the league, he'd find a way to ruin a line of Forsberg, Naslund, and Nash. We have a billionaire owner and still spend no money. TV broadcasts will be 2nd to the Rangers.
                          Where are you getting that our games won't be live on MSG?

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                            WTF is that supposed to mean? Most people think he is an idiot and a terrible GM. If you think he is OK then fine. I guess you are happy with a GM that has his players making his trades for him, a man that goes out to get Bob Corkum at the deadline to help a late season run, a guy whose only significant sigining this year is a 38 year old defensement whose better days are WELL behind him. No need to call me ignorant for saying what thousands of fans around the Buffalo area are also saying.

I'm supposed to be grateful that he has lead a team into three straight non post seasons? WTF do you get this? This new collective bargaining agreement is supposed to have clubs sharing more so that the have nots don't lose so much money. We are supposed to be more competative now because we aren't supposed to be losing as much if any anymore. Don't you think more people would buy tickets if they knew they would get to see a superstar every night? If anyone is being ignorant around here, it is you with a remark like that.

that's because most of the fans are clearly idiots looking for a scapegoat instead of considering what the real problem is.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                              that's because most of the fans are clearly idiots looking for a scapegoat instead of considering what the real problem is.
                              Please enlighten us idiots oh supreme one, that we may see what a genius DR is and how he is going to save our franchise and take us to the promised land.

Comment

Working...
                              X