PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of hearing...

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 01:01 AM
that we are gonna take a step back this year because we 'have a virtual rookie taking over for us and he WILL struggle'

Did Pennington struggle?

Did Culpepper struggle?

Did McNabb struggle?

Did Brady struggle?

Did Warner struggle?

Did Roethlisberger struggle?

yeah, i know historically the odds are significantly against JP, but more and more you're starting to see first time NFL QBs do better and better for their teams (hell Warner and Brady had no NFL experience and led their teams to the superbowl). Roethlisberger led his to the AFC Championship, and pennington had a very solid first year starting. With all the talent that Losman has surrounding + his own personal talent and physical skills, why is it an absolute certainty that 'we will take a step back this year because he will struggle' - that's total BS - it's just that no one wants to see us do good this year - well, I have a very strong feeling that they are all gonna eat crow - never mind the D or the special teams, Losman is gonna make them eat crow.

you heard it here first.

jmb1099
08-11-2005, 06:16 AM
good post. I feel the same way. Losman has a decent group of receivers to throw to and a decent running game that will keep opponents close to the line

Tinboy
08-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Losman could be antoher good rookie QB but I don't like to keep my hopes up to high, I still say 8-8 this season.

bledslow
08-11-2005, 11:15 AM
those are RARE exceptions,there's probably been 100's of failed stories of first year qb's.and i think that losman is going to struggle.imo

OpIv37
08-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Um, I don't know what the Eagles' record was during McNabb's rookie season, but I do know the Bills killed them 26-0 cuz I was at Rich Stadium for that game. JP will make some rookie mistakes. But does that mean the Bills will struggle? I don't know- we won 9 games with a mediocre QB last year so we might be ok.

I'm so sick of hearing about how Losman isn't a rookie. Get it through your heads- he played garbage time in 4 games last year and all he did was hand the ball off to our RB's to kill the clock. I suppose the experience of learning the system is good, but as far as actual field time he's no better off than any "real" rookie starting this year. It's just semantics.

Gunzlingr
08-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Um, I don't know what the Eagles' record was during McNabb's rookie season, but I do know the Bills killed them 26-0 cuz I was at Rich Stadium for that game. JP will make some rookie mistakes. But does that mean the Bills will struggle? I don't know- we won 9 games with a mediocre QB last year so we might be ok. I'm so sick of hearing about how Losman isn't a rookie. Get it through your heads- he played garbage time in 4 games last year and all he did was hand the ball off to our RB's to kill the clock. I suppose the experience of learning the system is good, but as far as actual field time he's no better off than any "real" rookie starting this year. It's just semantics.So do you consider Phil Rivers a Rookie?

OpIv37
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
So do you consider Phil Rivers a Rookie?

in terms of playing time? Yes- he's never been on the field. It's like red-shirting in college. They're still considered freshmen.

pleasesavedrew
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
that we are gonna take a step back this year because we 'have a virtual rookie taking over for us and he WILL struggle'

Did Pennington struggle?

Did Culpepper struggle?

Did McNabb struggle?

Did Brady struggle?

Did Warner struggle?

Did Roethlisberger struggle?

yeah, i know historically the odds are significantly against JP, but more and more you're starting to see first time NFL QBs do better and better for their teams (hell Warner and Brady had no NFL experience and led their teams to the superbowl). Roethlisberger led his to the AFC Championship, and pennington had a very solid first year starting. With all the talent that Losman has surrounding + his own personal talent and physical skills, why is it an absolute certainty that 'we will take a step back this year because he will struggle' - that's total BS - it's just that no one wants to see us do good this year - well, I have a very strong feeling that they are all gonna eat crow - never mind the D or the special teams, Losman is gonna make them eat crow.

you heard it here first.

They didnt struggle. Testeverde, Eli Manning, Akili Smith,Cade McNown, Josh and Luke Mcown, Rob Johnson,Todd Collins, Ryan Leaf,Rex Grossman and many others did.

Ickybaluky
08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm so sick of hearing about how Losman isn't a rookie. Get it through your heads- he played garbage time in 4 games last year and all he did was hand the ball off to our RB's to kill the clock. I suppose the experience of learning the system is good, but as far as actual field time he's no better off than any "real" rookie starting this year. It's just semantics.

He isn't a rookie. He may not have much game experience, but he has been through training camp twice and a full offseason. He has the benefit of pro coaching for over a year now. Say what you want, but that gives him an advantage over any rookie.

jmb1099
08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Lossman will be interesting because even though he doesn't have the on field playing time, he did have opportunity to study and prepare somewhat while rehabbing his leg. Odds are that he struggles a bit at first, but there is no real way to know what he will do. I am sick of hearing he will struggle without the mention that he could also be successful...there is the potential for both scenarios.

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Um, I don't know what the Eagles' record was during McNabb's rookie season, but I do know the Bills killed them 26-0 cuz I was at Rich Stadium for that game. JP will make some rookie mistakes. But does that mean the Bills will struggle? I don't know- we won 9 games with a mediocre QB last year so we might be ok.

that was a preseason game wasn't it?

DraftBoy
08-11-2005, 03:26 PM
He isn't a rookie. He may not have much game experience, but he has been through training camp twice and a full offseason. He has the benefit of pro coaching for over a year now. Say what you want, but that gives him an advantage over any rookie.

I disagree coaching only takes you so far and it still doesnt show you the speed of the game at this level and being able to accurately read and disect defenses on the fly. These are the hardest things for a rookie QB to pick up and in those terms Losman is most definetly still a rookie. Like Op said its like he red shirted last season, he's still a rook. Also 8-8 is a good year, im looking a 7-9 though for this team and Ill be happy.

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
They didnt struggle. Testeverde, Eli Manning, Akili Smith,Cade McNown, Josh and Luke Mcown, Rob Johnson,Todd Collins, Ryan Leaf,Rex Grossman and many others did.

Yeah, but with the exceptions of Testaverde, and Eli, they're all busts aren't they?

I think this first year will really give us a glimpse of how Losman will pan out - if he's absolutely horrible, time to start thinking about plugging Holcombe in.

Albany,n.y.
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Most of the guys you mention didn't just struggle their 1st years as starters, they were outright busts. In the modern NFL (post free agency/salary cap)-which by the way doesn't include Vinny's rookie year, the first year starting QB being successful is THE NORM, NOT THE EXCEPTION if he's going to go on to a successful career. If he struggles, chances are pretty good he will never succeed. Your post, combined with the first post proves the opposite of what you suggest.
I'm so sick of hearing JP will struggle stated by people who used busts to prove their point.
If you believe JP will be a bust just say so, don't hide behind he will struggle because he lacks experience nonsense.

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Had to :posrep: you for that one.

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Given that logic - Eli can very well be a bust - halleluja!