PDA

View Full Version : Clements extension?

casdhf
08-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I've been reading here that we're getting ready to lock up Nate for a long time. Anyone have a guess at what kind of contract he'll end up with? Personally, I'd like to see a 6 year extension, or 5 years after this season, however they work it.

I'm really hoping he gets locked up, but I haven't heard anything about this other than on the board. Is it anything more than wishful thinking??

juice
08-11-2005, 08:00 AM
I've been reading here that we're getting ready to lock up Nate for a long time. Anyone have a guess at what kind of contract he'll end up with? Personally, I'd like to see a 6 year extension, or 5 years after this season, however they work it.

I'm really hoping he gets locked up, but I haven't heard anything about this other than on the board. Is it anything more than wishful thinking??What have you seen besides reports of discussions and speculation by posters on various Boards? The problem with these talks is that if the players agent and the FO aren't seeing eye to eye then they can break down and result in the player hitting the FA market.

Have you read any official reports saying the Bills and Nate are close in #s or close to an agreement? I'd say it's still 50/50 whether Nate is a Bill next year at all.. don't forget Willis, if he gains 1500 yds this year will be looking for a huge pay increase after this season and his agent SuperDrew has pretty much said as much.

vicmantak
08-11-2005, 08:02 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050811/1035686.asp?tbd1035686.asp

casdhf
08-11-2005, 08:02 AM
nope, that's what I'm asking.

Canadian'eh!
08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
I disagree with Sal. While Nate isn't as good as bailey, he has the potential to be top 5, and IS top 10.

I think a 14-15 mill SB is fair. He's a step above Henry and Lucas but not at Bailey's level.

don137
08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
I disagree with Sal. While Nate isn't as good as bailey, he has the potential to be top 5, and IS top 10.

I think a 14-15 mill SB is fair. He's a step above Henry and Lucas but not at Bailey's level.
Bailey absolutely sucked last year and was burned often. I think Nate is better than Bailey. I say McCallister is better than Nate.

Canadian'eh!
08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Bailey absolutely sucked last year and was burned often. I think Nate is better than Bailey. I say McCallister is better than Nate.
Every CB gets burned.... but bailey didn't get bured all that often. he had a solid year. not sure who you were watching.

alohabillsfan
08-11-2005, 09:03 AM
and sometimes you can benefit from the front 7! Winfield was not that good of a cover corner and what did he get paid?

ublinkwescore
08-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Bailey stunk it up last year C-eh. Who were you watching?

Nate more than held his own against some elite recievers last year (see the Bengals game against Chad Johnson - 2 catches for 10 yards). If we're gonna take the next step, we're gonna need Clements' coverage.

hell, if Ty Law isn't the same player he was pre-injury, we've got the best CB in the division.

don137
08-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Every CB gets burned.... but bailey didn't get bured all that often. he had a solid year. not sure who you were watching.
I was watching Champ Bailey in the 2004 season for the Broncos not the 2003 season for the Redskins. He was eaten alive last year for Denver. He was not even a top 10 corner lsat year.

tampabay25690
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM

You are judging him on 1 game against Cincinnati when Chad Johnson Owned him that game....Bailey is better then Nate, But I would say Nate is in the top 5 in the NFL!!!!

Michael82
08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I was watching Champ Bailey in the 2004 season for the Broncos not the 2003 season for the Redskins. He was eaten alive last year for Denver. He was not even a top 10 corner lsat year.
I agree. He was horrible last year. I especially enjoyed when he got destroyed by the Raiders on MNF or was it SNF? :snicker:

HeadSquad69
08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
I feel Nate is a good solid corner but he is nowhere near a top flight CB and shouldn't be paid as one. He makes too many dumb plays (i.e. not knocking the ball down against Jacksonville last year on that 4th and long that would have ended the game). :sorry:

Schobel94
08-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah I think Bailey is one of the most overrated players in the league. A good player but doesn't live up to the hype. If you get that big NFL statistics book you can see that Bailey falls well short of his hype. I'd take Nate over Bailey. I do think McAllister is the best CB in the league, but other than that, Nate is as good as any of them.

HeadSquad69
08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Top 5 Corners in the League IMO...

1. Chris Mccallister
2. Ty Law (if fully healthy this year)
3. Charles Woodson
4. Champ Bailey
5. Ronde Barber

Crisis
08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Charles Woodson is way overrated.

1. Chris McAlister
2. Nate Clements
3. Pat Surtain
4. Champ Bailey
5. Ty Law (healthy)

Tatonka
08-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Top 5 Corners in the League IMO...

1. Chris Mccallister
2. Ty Law (if fully healthy this year)
3. Charles Woodson
4. Champ Bailey
5. Ronde Barber

wow.. i would put nate above all those guys except mccallister.

1. he is sweet.. but he is also surrounded by tons of talent..
2. law needs to prove his is good to go..
3. woodson.. so over rated
4. good receivers ate his lunch, ie, porter and chad johnson.. he was not good last year at all.. ask a broncos fan.. they were his biggest critics
5. barber.. i can see him being on this list.. so i dont have a complaint about him.

i will say this.. i think the best player in the nfl in anyones secondary is ed reed.. by a wide margin.

Crisis
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
wow.. i would put nate above all those guys except mccallister.

1. he is sweet.. but he is also surrounded by tons of talent..
2. law needs to prove his is good to go..
3. woodson.. so over rated
4. good receivers ate his lunch, ie, porter and chad johnson.. he was not good last year at all.. ask a broncos fan.. they were his biggest critics
5. barber.. i can see him being on this list.. so i dont have a complaint about him.

i will say this.. i think the best player in the nfl in anyones secondary is ed reed.. by a wide margin.
:hi5: I agree completely.

That's not fair comparing Reed to just secondaries, he's the best defender in the league.

FlyingDutchman
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I feel Nate is a good solid corner but he is nowhere near a top flight CB and shouldn't be paid as one. He makes too many dumb plays (i.e. not knocking the ball down against Jacksonville last year on that 4th and long that would have ended the game). :sorry:I agree, I think he is very good, but not top 5. I think he gets picked on at times bc of his coverage skills. Sure he has had a lot of interceptions, but I think that was the product of poor throws more often than not. He has good recovery speed which allows him to not give up big plays, but I completely agree with you that he makes dumb plays sometimes. That play especially is the one that sticks out in my head, but there were also similar situations in different games with similar results. (also, I dont want him on punt return anymore....hands are too shaky)

Tatonka
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
i dont know if he is the defender in the nfl.. but he is a wide margin above anyone else that playing in the secondary..

but come to think of it.. i cant really think of who else i would want to pick first on defense to build a team around..

he is ridiculously good..

casdhf
08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I wouldnt pick a SS to build a team around

Crisis
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I wouldnt pick a SS to build a team around
Only one I would take is Reed. The guy is all over the field.

Mahdi
08-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Charles Woodson is way overrated.

1. Chris McAlister
2. Nate Clements
3. Pat Surtain
4. Champ Bailey
5. Ty Law (healthy)
Charles Woodson is not over-rated at all. I watch a lot of raider games and you hardly ever hear his name mentionned (when he's healthy and playing). That's the sign of a true lock-down corner.

Tatonka
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
he is also hurt all the time and pissing and moaning about one thing or another..

he is not all that.. i would rate clements above him just based on health.

colin
08-11-2005, 03:10 PM
see the other clements thread for the production nate had last year.

a defender who holds his man down, even if he is a top flight player, and makes huge plays all over the place, and is a big hitter.

no farking way is nate out of the top 10, mcallister MIGHT be better, but i say nate takes it.