PDA

View Full Version : A case for keeping Riemersma

ct bills fan
12-31-2002, 10:50 AM
I say we should try and renegotiate JR's contract - get rid of the $3.5 salary for next year and extend his contract, making it cap friendly. Here are the two main reasons:

(1) He wants to be here, and more importantly
(2) With Peerless probably heading elsewhere (does anybody think he really wants to stay??) JR would become a bigger part of the offense. Drew talks about having a more efficient offense, especially in the red zone. You need a big tight end to accomplish this. Just because JR was underutilized this year doesn't mean he can't be a bigger part of the offense next year.

HenryRules
12-31-2002, 10:56 AM
why do you say that Peerless doesn't want to stay??? He has said all along that he wants to stay with the team.

Ð
12-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Nope, we will be a run-oriented offense next year. We don't need an expensive pass-catching TE who can't block for ****.

TedMock
12-31-2002, 11:04 AM
I'd like to see him here, I don't think it'll happen. I also think that Price is gone but I think it's going to be hard on him because Yes, I do believe he wants to stay. Going somewhere else for more money doesn't necessarily mean he's money hungry either. To go elsewhere would probably be a large pay increase, not just a half a mil. Plus he'd be the number one guy somewhere else. 94 catches and 1200 yards, he's earned that chance like him or not. Those are number one guy numbers. He may decide to go but I'd bet that it's a tougher decision than people are making it out to be.

Judge
12-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Dave Moore can more than capably fill in for Riemersma.

don137
12-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Riemersma is gone. He knows it by the way he addressed his teammates in the locker room when cleaning out his locker. He has dropped too many balls the last couple of years and his blocking sucks.

shelby
12-31-2002, 11:43 AM
i agree with Judge. Moore can get the job done. i like Riems, but i don't think he'll be with us next year.

MissBuffalo
12-31-2002, 11:54 AM
I agree with everyone that Moore is more than capable of doing the job. Insted of getting all misty-eyed now, Jay should have renegotiated when the Bills wanted too.

Cntrygal
12-31-2002, 12:06 PM
I think JR may retire...

kgun12
12-31-2002, 02:44 PM
First of all: Does Alvin Harper mean anything to any of you. If not let me refresh your memory. He was the #2 to Mike Irving during the Cowbays hayday of the 90's. About the same type of #'s as Price for more year. Left the Big D and went to Tampa to be the #1 guy and more money. What happened fell off the face of the earth, never even had #3 number, why nobody to complement him. Same will happen to Price, not cause he doesn't have skills, but because nobody to take the pressure off him.

Miss Buff. JR offered to take a $2 million pay-cut, but the Bills toght it wasn't enough. With his number down he probably won't be back.

Novacane
12-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Bye Bye Jay!

Novacane
12-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ct bills fan
I say we should try and renegotiate JR's contract - get rid of the $3.5 salary for next year and extend his contract, making it cap friendly. Here are the two main reasons:

(
He would not take a paycut last year. There is no reason to believe he would take a significant paycut this year.

Earthquake Enyart
12-31-2002, 02:58 PM
MissB already said that.

I'm surprised he made it through this year. Thought he was a goner for sure.

Novacane
12-31-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by kgun12

Miss Buff. JR offered to take a $2 million pay-cut, but the Bills toght it wasn't enough. With his number down he probably won't be back.

When did he offer to take $ 2 million paycut? IT surely was not this year because his salary would have been down to $500,000 and thats below the vet min. I don't think he ever offered to take a paycut!

SABURZFAN
12-31-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Nope, we will be a run-oriented offense next year. We don't need an expensive pass-catching TE who can't block for ****.

i agree with BD on this one.

Kelly The Dog
12-31-2002, 06:27 PM
"First of all: Does Alvin Harper mean anything to any of you. If not let me refresh your memory. He was the #2 to Mike Irving during the Cowbays hayday of the 90's. About the same type of #'s as Price for more year. "

Sorry. Alvin Harper actually caught 10 more passes on his first year in TB than he ever did in Dallas. His numbers are not close to Peerless's. He never once caught more than 36 balls in a season in Dallas. He had one good year of 8 TD's and a huge YPC that got him the contract in TB but he was NEVER a good receiver. He caught 46 his first year in Tampa. Comparing him and his numbers and his talent and his career to Peerless is pretty ignorant of the facts.

Secondly, the JR argument over contract numbers is a semantic argument. JR did offer to give two million dollars back, but not off his salary. He offered to do it if the Bills signed him to a long extension. The Bills asked him to take a large pay cut for this season and he refused. His fate was practically sealed before this season started unless he was fabulous and invaluable in this offense, which is clearly not true. IMO, JR has had one good year in his entire career, and it certainly wasnt 2001 when he caught 53 and dropped about 33.

The Natrix
12-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
First of all: Does Alvin Harper mean anything to any of you. If not let me refresh your memory. He was the #2 to Mike Irving during the Cowbays hayday of the 90's. About the same type of #'s as Price for more year. Left the Big D and went to Tampa to be the #1 guy and more money. What happened fell off the face of the earth, never even had #3 number, why nobody to complement him. Same will happen to Price, not cause he doesn't have skills, but because nobody to take the pressure off him.

Rrrrrriiiiiggggghhhht, because it happened to Alvin Harper it is going to happen to Price. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The_Philster
12-31-2002, 07:02 PM
It also happened to Brett Perriman for one.

The Natrix
12-31-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
He may decide to go but I'd bet that it's a tougher decision than people are making it out to be.

I agree.

The Natrix
12-31-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
It also happened to Brett Perriman for one.

okay, now I am convinced. Price is going to fade away :rolleyes:

Kelly The Dog
12-31-2002, 07:21 PM
Not really true with Brett Perriman either. By the time he left Detroit he had played ten years already in the nfl. He was hurt immediately in KC and only played sparingly in 5 games the following year.

The_Philster
12-31-2002, 07:23 PM
OK, Kelly...I only remember he flopped after he left Detroit...didn't remember the particulars but the point is that players play at different levels in different systems.

The Natrix
12-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Price is the real deal. He will live up to expectations, wherever he goes

RedEyE
12-31-2002, 07:28 PM
My guess would be Atlanta.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Was watching channel 13 news from Rochester the other night. They talked to JR he said last year he offered a 2mil paycut. The Bills didnt take it not JR. Riemersma will be gone only cause the front office wants him gone.

Im not sold on Dave Moore, he was injured this year and really never played at all. You would think they would keep either Price or Riemersma.

Ill try to get a link if i can find one. But Reimersma did offer a 2mil paycut. GW and TD want him gone. Hope Reimersma does great wherever he does go. Im sure you all wish him goodluck. But cuts happen. Just gotta move on.

Happy New Year.

Kelly The Dog
12-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by silent_one
Was watching channel 13 news from Rochester the other night. They talked to JR he said last year he offered a 2mil paycut. The Bills didnt take it not JR. Riemersma will be gone only cause the front office wants him gone.

Im not sold on Dave Moore, he was injured this year and really never played at all. You would think they would keep either Price or Riemersma.

Ill try to get a link if i can find one. But Reimersma did offer a 2mil paycut. GW and TD want him gone. Hope Reimersma does great wherever he does go. Im sure you all wish him goodluck. But cuts happen. Just gotta move on.

Happy New Year.

I repeat. The Bills asked JR to take a paycut before this year, 2002. He flat refused. He offered to take two million off the total package if they gave him MORE money, an extension. They turned that down. They did not want to give a guy an extension that has had one good year in his career. He was paid far too much money to begin with in mine, and many others, eyes including TD. The Bills thought he had been overpaid before and didnt think he was worth the $2.5 million that he was scheduled to make in 2002. They asked him to take a cut and he said he only would if they gave him an extension. If you read any article on what either the Bills say or what JR says this becomes crystal clear.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-31-2002, 10:05 PM
an extension in years. If he gets an exyension in years that cuts his pay down. So if they extended his contract 2 years he would be extending his pay. Thus lowering his money/per year.

Lets make this Crystal Clear. TD and GW want him gone. Dave Moore isnt someone to get all excited about.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-31-2002, 10:13 PM
Dont get me Wrong. Cuts Happen. He will probably go and be used somewhere he is needed. GW and TD better do something with his money space.

Since Newman is on the chopping block. Bills need 2 LB's Colvin and Spikes would be nice. Only way we get both are No Reimersma,No Newman and No Price.

It doesnt bug me that Riemersma is probably gone. It will bug me if he gets cut and the the Bills do nothing to add to the team with his money.

This is the GW and TD era so slowly every year players before this era will be gone.

Kelly The Dog
12-31-2002, 10:17 PM
I agree TD and GW want him gone. Because he's not worth his contract. JR is the one that asked for the extension, not the Bills. And when you ask for an extension you usually want bonus money and a longer contract. The Bills wated nothing to do with that. I don't know of anyone that follows the Bills, perhaps you, that believed before this year or after this year that Jay Riemersma was worth $2.5 million for each year. He's going to count 3.5 million next year. That is likely more than Peerless is going to get per year. Dave Moore played very well in limited action, too, and dropped about one pass. He's fine as a full-time TE next year, with Brady McDonnell as his back-up and a FA or rookie 3rd TE, and Moore's been a good one for almost 10 years in this league.

Bert102176
12-31-2002, 10:17 PM
Alvin Harper also went to Tennessee just like Price

BADTHINGSMAN
12-31-2002, 10:32 PM
I agree TD and GW want him gone. Because he's not worth his contract. JR is the one that asked for the extension, not the Bills. And when you ask for an extension you usually want bonus money and a longer contract. The Bills wated nothing to do with that. I don't know of anyone that follows the Bills, perhaps you, that believed before this year or after this year that Jay Riemersma was worth $2.5 million for each year. He's going to count 3.5 million next year. That is likely more than Peerless is going to get per year. Dave Moore played very well in limited action, too, and dropped about one pass. He's fine as a full-time TE next year, with Brady McDonnell as his back-up and a FA or rookie 3rd TE, and Moore's been a good one for almost 10 years in this league.

I agree JR isnt worth 2.5million and more. If anyone is worth keeping its Price. By keeping Price it allows Dave Moore to get open. Releasing JR and possibly KN it could open it up for Colvin and Spikes. But only will get one of them. I think Greg Favors was signed to replace Eddie Robinson he did play for Tennesee.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-31-2002, 10:33 PM
sorry KTD, forgot the Quote Box,lol

Kelly The Dog
12-31-2002, 10:44 PM
I agree with you on all of that, s_o, although i think perhaps Favors is just a back-up.

Halbert
12-31-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Price is the real deal. He will live up to expectations, wherever he goes
If Price goes someplace to be the top dog, it will be interesting to see if you are correct. I for one don't think so. He's probably the perfect #2 in our system, perhaps in almost any system, but he doesn't have the size and strength to consistently beat double teams if he's the undisputed #1. My guess is that he'll end up being yet another guy who should have stayed where he was instead of going for the ego bursting spotlight. I hope he realizes that but my guess is that he won't.

colin
01-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by silent_one

I agree JR isnt worth 2.5million and more. If anyone is worth keeping its Price. By keeping Price it allows Dave Moore to get open. Releasing JR and possibly KN it could open it up for Colvin and Spikes. But only will get one of them. I think Greg Favors was signed to replace Eddie Robinson he did play for Tennesee.

He actually counts 4.8 vs the cap, his salary alone next year is 3.5. Can you say cut? I know you can!

don137
01-01-2003, 07:29 AM
I believe Price is a very good receiver but I think his numbers would not be better if he went to another team.
More often than not receivers that go to another team for do not put up nearly as good numbers as they did for there previous team (i.e. Keyshawn Johnson, Andre Rison, Bill Schroeder, Joey Galloway, Alvin Harper, etc.) There are a few players that exceeded on another team but they are the exception and not the norm (Joe Horn and Jimmy Smith). Price will never get 100 receptions as a #1 receiver on another team. Moulds taking the double team puts Price in single coverage which helps Price more than he thinks.

casdhf
01-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Nope, we will be a run-oriented offense next year.

Someone definately needs to put down the crack pipe :D

Ð
01-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey! Spoken like a true crack ho ;)