PDA

View Full Version : Who's had the worst FA period so far?

Bill Brasky
08-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Buffalo has to rank right up there... getting rid of their leading scorer and one of the better defensmen and replacing them w/ an aging vet.

Washington has done even less though... I haven't heard anything from Minnesotta either.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-12-2005, 07:35 AM
If you consider over spending for free agents the worst then I would say Buffalo, Washington, or Pittsburgh. I look at it a little differently so here are mine:

Philadelphia - There first splash is to sign three stone footed defensemen. Mike Rathje, Derrion Hatcher, and Chris Therien. That doesn't really look that great in this "new" NHL. Then they spend 6+ million dollars on the best player in the game but is very injury prone. They didn't address their goaltending problem, AGAIN. The good thing about the Flyers is they still have talent to be a great team. But it is the Flyers and everyone in the sports writing world will kiss their ass and say what a great offseason they had. Then when they lose in the first or second round of the playoffs those same writers will rip them for not getting that guy.

Philagape
08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Retirement home Dallas didn't add anyone big ... Colorado replaced Forsberg and Foote with Tin Man Turgeon and Patrice Brisebois ... Phoenix pretty much stayed pat (except at coach, of course) ... So did San Jose

SkateZilla
08-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Minnesota Hasnt Done anything..

pyrrhonist
08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
It's all subjective to say who has done the "worst". I would say Buffalo has been awful on signings, though, because there were some quality guys to be had. I agree Philthy is just signing names, and they're not all quality guys (Rathje hasn't been that great for years, I've seen him on Sharks broadcasts for some time).

Someone mentioned Phoenix and SJ. The Sharks didn't really need to improve too much, IMO. Remember, these guys almost made the Cup Final, and they didn't have one of their biggest offensive guns in Marco Sturm. As far as the Coyotes, they did all of their improving in the last offseason.

Dozerdog
08-15-2005, 11:11 AM
The Rangers look like they went backwards- hard to tell with all that waste on the roster

pyrrhonist
08-15-2005, 11:15 AM
The Rangers look like they went backwards- hard to tell with all that waste on the roster

:lolabove: :bf1:

Very true. They really needed someone like Crosby because of their lack of talent, not even so much because Crosby needed to go to a big market. :up:

SABURZFAN
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
san jose hasn't made a move yet,have they?

Dozerdog
08-15-2005, 01:37 PM
san jose hasn't made a move yet,have they?They are in the same boat Buffalo is- they are stocked with good young players and want to take their shot with those.

Uncle Jesse
08-15-2005, 02:18 PM
The Penguins, I think, had the best offseason by far, I think they went from worst in the League, to very tough playoff contender, their going to be good.

Dozerdog
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
The Penguins, I think, had the best offseason by far, I think they went from worst in the League, to very tough playoff contender, their going to be good.I think Mario wants one more run at the cup...notice he's an unrestrictred Free agent and hasn't signed?

With the cap- I'll bet he plays for league minimum.

northernbillfan
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Toronto's FA period went down hill the moment they signed the cancer known as Lindros.

I'm pretty excited about the Oilers tho. Pronger and Peca should put us in the running and the team still has a few million to throw at a goalie.

chernobylwraiths
08-15-2005, 05:21 PM
They are in the same boat Buffalo is- they are stocked with good young players and want to take their shot with those.

Difference is, they can make the playoffs.

chernobylwraiths
08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
I think Mario wants one more run at the cup...notice he's an unrestrictred Free agent and hasn't signed?

With the cap- I'll bet he plays for league minimum.

I don't think that would be possible. If he doesn't get at least fair market value, the other owners could cry foul, with good reason. He didn't play for league minimum in the last season when they were in terrible financial shape.

Don Cherry
08-15-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't think that would be possible. If he doesn't get at least fair market value, the other owners could cry foul, with good reason. He didn't play for league minimum in the last season when they were in terrible financial shape.
Last year it didn't matter what he paid himself- except maybe for payroll tax purposes / tax write offs or whatever. Whatever he made as a player probably went right back into the team.

Think of it as betting yourself a million dollars.

chernobylwraiths
08-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Last year it didn't matter what he paid himself- except maybe for payroll tax purposes / tax write offs or whatever. Whatever he made as a player probably went right back into the team.

Think of it as betting yourself a million dollars.

I understand that, but don't you think the other owners would complain if he paid himself $500 K (or whatever league minimum is) while still being considered one of the best while signing up the other talent with all the extra money that he has under the cap? This was supposed to be the poorest team in the NHL, much moreso than the Sabres and now they have all of this money to pay out? Real shady.

Don Cherry
08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
I understand that, but don't you think the other owners would complain if he paid himself $500 K (or whatever league minimum is) while still being considered one of the best while signing up the other talent with all the extra money that he has under the cap? This was supposed to be the poorest team in the NHL, much moreso than the Sabres and now they have all of this money to pay out? Real shady.I don't see anyone *****ing about it in the league.

Don Cherry
08-15-2005, 05:50 PM
If the Pens were spending $38 million in payroll and then tried to fit Mario in, their might be a case. But this will be a team that has two lines - the "Haves" and 2 lines of the "Have Nots" - the Brook Orpiks of the world.

Unlike Buffalo, they appear to have decided to get a lineup of 20 players all in the 1-2 million range.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Actually Lemiuex has to pay him league minimum for his time of service and his age. He can't just pay himself the lowest salary he can think of. I don't know what the figure is exactly but I think it is around 1.5 million.

The King
08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Bruins have not done too Much landing Modano would've been sweet but we go Brian Leetch instead.:down:

Dozerdog
08-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Bruins have not done too Much landing Modano would've been sweet but we go Brian Leetch instead.:down:
Not done much?

Signed Leetch,Alexi Zhamnov, and got Dave Scatchard, a rugged center who will do nicely on the third line.

They also locked up Thornton for 3 seasons, and Sergei Samsanov for at least one more. Glen Murray was re-signed.

Bruins did well. I think they overpaid for Leetch and might have screwed themselves cap wise for a late season trade, but this team is going to push 100 points again and should be a top eastern contender.

pyrrhonist
08-16-2005, 10:20 AM
They are in the same boat Buffalo is- they are stocked with good young players and want to take their shot with those.

Ouch. San Josè is far from in the same boat as Buffalo---SJ's system works for their "no name" players. Plus, they made the playoffs without one of their best offensive players (Marco Sturm).....what will Buffalo do without its best offensive player (Satan)? The Sharks are still considered a Cup Contender, whereas Buffalo is playing along to Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer", hoping that Rochester has those magic beans in Vanek to get the team back to the playoffs. :down:

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
:rofl: @ this thread- boy- was I way off with the Rangers!

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
They are employing the under 29 mil salary for one reason - to get the revenue sharing. Cheap bastards will complain when the team is sucking in Dec and the HSBC is half empty.

Sabres like the cost certainty of the cap. They are now certain other teams can only spend 12 mil more than they are willing to.

Oh yeah, I'll beat all the TG fans to the punch...

1. He's a good businessman, blah, blah, blah

2. He's a billionare because he doesn't waste his money (30 mil spent trying to be NYS gov not included)

3. Who are you to tell him how to spend his money???

4. Do you even know what it takes to make an extra 5 mil???

5. Just be happy we still have a team, blah, blah,blah

6. Why should he lose money to make you happy??

7. You are a ******ed ignoramus (I love that one!)
LOL....where are these guys?

This sounds like some of the crabbies who were watching the Bills Draft

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Still....nothing

I really hate this guy. You guys organize your next protest because I suck at it lol I will support you!

Its great just sitting back and watching all the signing go down, I love it what about you's?

:comedy:

Michael82
05-10-2006, 09:52 PM
:lmao:

chernobylwraiths
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm here and will give my own statement about all of this soon. I was completely wrong on one note, but I stand by my statements on a couple other points.

BTW, I've been waiting for someone to bring this up.

Dr. Lecter
05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I aksed a question a week ago if the people who are griping about the Bills were happy with the Sabres off-season.

It proves what many have said: the off-season can't be evaluated until a team plays games.