PDA

View Full Version : Should Parrish be Diving for Balls in Practice?

Meathead
08-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Roscoe has hurt his wrist diving for a pass in practice. We don't know how extensive it is yet, but we do know he'll miss today's preseason contest.

Regardless of how long he ends up being out due to this injury, should the coaches be allowing him to dive for uncatchable balls during practice sessions?

Pride
08-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Hell yes!

We can't wrap these guys up in bubble wrap during TC... if that is the case, why even have it? The fact is... these player are pansies! 30 years ago... you dove for a ball in practice, or you were benched for the next game! You played hurt...

Jan Reimers
08-12-2005, 08:42 AM
You really can't stop great athletes from trying to make great plays - and they generally play the way they practice. If he is somehow prevented from diving in practice, will he still do it effectively in games, where we expect him to go all out?

EDS
08-12-2005, 08:50 AM
He is a rookie, he should be diving for balls and carrying the water.

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I've seen a bunch of highlights from camp and there must have been three or four times he was diving for uncatchable balls.

Enthusiasm is great, but doing Superman dives and still coming up three feet short of the ball is not responsible professional behavior. Allowing him to keep doing that was just plain stupid.

Now people are going to say that they like that he gives it everything he has and that he’s just trying as hard as he can to impress the coaches so he gets that third WR job.

Bull crap.

He’s no help to the team now, and it’s because he was doing something that was no help to the team then. That’s just asking for an injury, and he got one.

Coaches: tell him to run his god damn patterns and let the uncatchable balls go over his head. There’s always the next play - and there are better ways to impress the coaches and help the team.

Dumb mistake.

MikeInRoch
08-12-2005, 09:06 AM
On the tape I saw, he did make contact with the ball on the one he was injured on - so I dare say that it was not 'uncatchable'.

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:20 AM
On the tape I saw, he did make contact with the ball on the one he was injured on - so I dare say that it was not 'uncatchable'.
Um, McFly, he's been doing that all camp. He's missed most of them. Just because he touched this particular one is moot. He still didn't come close to actually catching it. It's the pattern of behavior that he shouldn't be doing.

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
As a manager/coach/boss do you:

- allow a rookie truck driver to weave in and out of traffic at 75 miles per hour so he can deliver his load at 5:50 when 6:00 would have been just fine?

- allow a young salesman to pester the prospect three times a day to ask for the close when once every few days would have been proper?

- encourage a young psychologist to try to solve all the patients problems in one visit when three would have been prudent?

- allow JP Losman put his shoulder into a defensive back to get another yard?

That’s just stupid risky behavior that does no good for the team. After the first time he dove for an uncatchable ball I would definitely have pulled him aside and said “I love your enthusiasm. But you’re risking injury unnecessarily. If you think you can make the catch then go for it, but if you aren’t even touching the ball then you’re going too far.

“We need you to be available to play and practice. That’s how you’ll help the team.”

We’ve got some great coaches but I think they made a mistake on this one. And you watch, he won’t be diving for any more uncatchable balls when he returns.

superbills
08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
I've seen a bunch of highlights from camp and there must have been three or four times he was diving for uncatchable balls.

Enthusiasm is great, but doing Superman dives and still coming up three feet short of the ball is not responsible professional behavior. Allowing him to keep doing that was just plain stupid.

Now people are going to say that they like that he gives it everything he has and that he’s just trying as hard as he can to impress the coaches so he gets that third WR job.

Bull crap.

He’s no help to the team now, and it’s because he was doing something that was no help to the team then. That’s just asking for an injury, and he got one.

Coaches: tell him to run his god damn patterns and let the uncatchable balls go over his head. There’s always the next play - and there are better ways to impress the coaches and help the team.

Dumb mistake.

I think that "three feet short" is a gross exaggeration. I could not disagree more. This is the kind of player that Parrish is. From watching him play at the "U", he's the kind of guy that will go all out on every play. THe thing is, diving for balls and making big plays are things that he does by instinct. He sees the ball out there and wants mroe than anything to get it in his hands. THAT's the kind of receiver that makes you a better football team. That's also the kind of receiver who's not going to go all Sally on you and turtle every time he hears footsteps going across the middle of the field. He's going to go there focusing on getting the ball and hanging on to the ball. If those instincts come with a couple of injuries, so be it. I'd rather have a guy go all out all the time rather than an Iverson-infused anti-practice monkey.

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
You must be Republican. If you question something then that means you're proposing to do absolutely nothing.

Yeah, I want Parrish to stroll around practice not trying. That's what I said.

Jan Reimers
08-12-2005, 09:31 AM
You must be Republican. If you question something then that means you're proposing to do absolutely nothing.

You must be a Liberal Democrat. You talk in circles and say nothing. :peace:

justasportsfan
08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
whe you're fighting for a roster spot, you do what you have to do.

Bulldog
08-12-2005, 09:34 AM

From the results of the poll, you seem to be the only one that thinks this is a problem. It's football, injuries happen. Let it go!

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM
I LOVE being the only one to feel this way. That happens to me quite a bit, and I don't mind it at all because over time I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.

Now when Roscoe comes back and isn't diving for uncatchable balls anymore, that will clearly demonstrate he's learned his lesson. If that's the case, then it's something the coaches could have educated him on.

Then I'll be back here asking the same question, and his behavior will speak for itself.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Um, McFly, he's been doing that all camp. He's missed most of them. Just because he touched this particular one is moot. He still didn't come close to actually catching it. It's the pattern of behavior that he shouldn't be doing.

You said he hurt himself diving for a ball in practice. He did not. He hurt his wrist when another player fell on him. Maybe we should have complete no contact in practice too?

Meathead
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I think I'm done commenting on this for now.

I only wish I had put the word "uncatchable" in the title because that's what I meant and that changes everything.

But please, feel free to continue twisting what I said and putting words in my mouth.

I'll be back when Roscoe is back at practice and not doing anymore Superman dives for uncatchable balls. Then we'll talk about it again.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
You really can't stop great athletes from trying to make great plays - and they generally play the way they practice. If he is somehow prevented from diving in practice, will he still do it effectively in games, where we expect him to go all out?

Exactly. If he doesn't practice hard, it is harder to play hard. I don't want a bunch of Allen Iversons on my team. Whatever happened to practice makes perfect?

justasportsfan
08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I only wish I had put the word "uncatchable" in the title because that's what I meant and that changes everything.

how do you know if a ball is uncatchable if you don't even attempt to catch it?

mysticsoto
08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I LOVE being the only one to feel this way. That happens to me quite a bit, and I don't mind it at all because over time I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.

Now when Roscoe comes back and isn't diving for uncatchable balls anymore, that will clearly demonstrate he's learned his lesson. If that's the case, then it's something the coaches could have educated him on.

Then I'll be back here asking the same question, and his behavior will speak for itself.
Uncatchatable is apparently whatever you decide he shouldn't go after. If he was able to touch the ball, then it was catchable! Parrish hasn't made the roster officically yet. And although most people have him penciled in at #3, that isn't a given. If he comes back and isn't diving for balls, it will most likely mean that Mularkey told him, "You're our #3, take it down a notch now on those." In the mean time, *EVERYONE* who is not on the current roster needs to put in that level of effort if they want to make the team.

There's always someone complaining about something. If he didn't dive, no doubt there would be critics saying he doesn't put his all into catching the balls.

By the way, loving being the only one who believes something is correct solely b'cse you say so is called Bush Syndrome. :D:

MikeInRoch
08-12-2005, 10:04 AM

But if it's close enough to actually get a hand on it, it's close enough to actually try to catch it.

Yes, we want him diving for balls to try to make catches. If, during practice, you stop diving, then you will tend to stop diving during games. Do I believe that he intentionally dove needlessly after balls he knew he could not catch? No. It is much more likely that he dove thinking he might have had a chance. That he ended up not being close to some of them is irrelevant. You do not learn what your catch range is by not attempting to dive for some balls out of that range.

Nasty Mcgahee
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
yeah your right, dont let the player show heart! Don't try to catch the ball if you think you cant get to it. F That, try to get to the ball that you dont think you can get. It's good to see someone with so much determination to get to the ball. It's better than slowing up and not trying at all -- Let the kid dive, he'll make some great plays on the field if you let him be himself in practice!

Enthusiasm is great, but doing Superman dives and still coming up three feet short of the ball is not responsible professional behavior. Allowing him to keep doing that was just plain stupi
d.

Bull crap.

Dumb mistake.

Nasty Mcgahee
08-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Um, McFly, he's been doing that all camp. He's missed most of them. Just because he touched this particular one is moot. He still didn't come close to actually catching it. It's the pattern of behavior that he shouldn't be doing.OK, but if you watch the highlight you will see that Roscoe didnt even dive -- he fell down after him and mcgee were trying for the ball, he didnt dive.

Nasty Mcgahee
08-12-2005, 10:22 AM
how do you know if a ball is uncatchable if you don't even attempt to catch it?
EXACTLY... If a tree falls.... Oh nevermind, good point.

justasportsfan
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
EXACTLY... If a tree falls.... Oh nevermind, good point.If Willis doesn't see a hole in the OL maybe he should just stand there.

Michael82
08-12-2005, 10:54 AM
ummm...Meathead, I hate to argue with you, but you haven't been at camp to see it yourself. He has done the acrobatic, leaping and diving catches all training camp and that's a huge part of the reason why he's a lock for the #3 receiver job. He's made most of the catches, but sometimes he doesn't. This time, he came damn close to catching it, but it fell out of his hands. Maybe u should be pissed at the QB for making those throws in the first place. :rolleyes:

FlyingDutchman
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I dont mind him diving at all. Ive played sports from 4 years old nd one thing remains the same.....PRACTICE LIKE YOUD PLAY IN A GAME.....I understand what your saying meathead, but practice is the time to test limits and learn. You cant take it 75% all the way up to sept. 11. To tell you the truth, it makes me extremely happy to hear we have a player like this. A hustler scrapper who dives for balls in practice....I f'n love it. The kid has heart. I know he wont puss out in games now. Hes battling for the 3rd spot, hes gotta show what he can do now. Im gettin more and more excited about this guy every day. I wasn't too happy when we drafted him, now I think hes a steal. This kid is gonna be a play maker. I think we just got ourselves another Bebee!

alohabillsfan
08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
I am just glad meathead left! :band:

Meathead
08-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I made a huge mistake in the way I phrased the title. Now everyone has completely misunderstood the point I was making.

I agree with virtually everything everyone has said here.

The point is there is a judgment call you make in any job how aggressive you're going to be. There’s a line where aggressiveness that is good shifts over to recklessness.

I’ve seen him sacrifice his body for balls he had zero chance of catching. He should not be doing that. Just like Moulds doesn't. Just like Evans doesn't. Just like Losman slides or runs out of bounds. Judgment.

I know it doesn’t matter what I say now because the picture in your mind is already drawn and it’s not representative of what I was saying. Oh well.

Mark my words, though, when he comes back he’s going to adjust his aggressiveness so he’s not taking undue risks in situations where he has no chance of doing something productive.

On that specific point I remain 100% correct.

dannyek71
08-12-2005, 12:11 PM
start a new thread. Should players be diving for balls during games? They could get hurt then too. In fact, lets put skirts on them and place them in padded rooms when they are not playing games so they cant get hurt

Akhippo
08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
The point is needlessly diving for balls. Just like in the scrimmage where the ball wasnt even close. The announcers even commented saying it was for the crowd. Do you want the guy to dive all over the PRACTICE field for balls and being injured alot or having the sense to throttle down for the uncatchable and making it to the regular season. And receivers have a good sense for what is and isnt catchable. You can judge the trajectory and have an idea before the leap. Leaping and enthusiasm is fine. All you people can enjoy his enthusiasm in the preseason, Id at least like to see him in a game.

Akhippo
08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Thats like saying Willis, after a gain down the sideline should cut it back in and take on a linebacker for extra yards. Heck, this is preseason, he needs to amp up his intensity.

Nasty Mcgahee
08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Thats like saying Willis, after a gain down the sideline should cut it back in and take on a linebacker for extra yards. Heck, this is preseason, he needs to amp up his intensity.
If he thinks he can make a play, do what you need to do! Thats what he gets paid for, he gets paid to MAKE PLAYS.

Akhippo
08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
He gets paid to make plays in official games. He can dive all over the practice field if he wants. That will not put a win on the board. His preseason leaps are getting the Bills no wins. And depending on how hurt he is, he wont be helping them get any wins anytime soon.

Stoneludlow
08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
He is a rookie, he should be diving for balls and carrying the water.
Sounds like you think he is on the JV squad of a high school.

Stoneludlow
08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
You dive for the balls in your area to prove you want to start.
He may be a rookie, but it is now put-up or shut-up, if he wants to make the team.

Mr. Cynical
08-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Yes. I would even argue that players will be more likely to get hurt during the season if they try to do things they didn't try in camp.

dannyek71
08-12-2005, 03:43 PM
If you dont practice diving for balls in practice, you wont do it as well during games

RedEyE
08-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd say the poll says it all.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Meathead what are you talking about? The kid is a rookie and isn't guarenteed the 3rd roster spot. He needs to give a good effort on every play. He needs to follow his instincs on whether to dive or not. If he starts pulling up on plays just to not get injured people will complain that he is dogging it.

Stewie
08-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Well yeah that is basically what you said...

dannyek71
08-13-2005, 08:27 AM

Take any chance you can get to bad mouth republicans do you?

1st question. Parrish breaks wrist. How do you turn that into a republicans vs democrats fight?

pabillsfankohler
08-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I think I'm done commenting on this for now.

But please, feel free to continue twisting what I said and putting words in my mouth.

I'll be back when Roscoe is back at practice and not doing anymore Superman dives for uncatchable balls. Then we'll talk about it again.
Maybe, you wouldn't have to explain yourself if your first message was clear & precise. My question to you is, have you ever played sports? My high school basketball coach made us dive on the floor for every loose ball. Which I taught my kids when I coached High School basketball. My soccer coach forced us to run through all play because you never know what might happen. Another trait that I teach to my U8 soccer team that I coach.

The next thing we will have is Roscoe, acting like Randy Moss, and not running through a play because he is not the targeted WR or it was a runing play. Or the high paid MLB players who don't run out a ground out. I don't know about any one else, but I don't want that kind of player on my team.

Jan Reimers
08-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Meathead, why do you use the derisive term McFly in response to posters with whom you disagree? And why do you denigrate Republicans in a thread which has nothing to do with politics?

If you are attempting to demonstrate your superior intellect or your enlightened political views, perhaps you should Move On.