PDA

View Full Version : Sportsuser101's 2005 Bills Preview

Sportsuser101
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I haven't posted as much as I would have liked due to several circumstances so I'm going to post some of my thoughts about the 05 Buffalo Bills.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

QB situation

<o:p></o:p>

While I don't believe Drew Bledsoe lived to his value of giving up a 1st round pick on the field he certainly lived up to that value off the field. Not only did he fill the seats but I'd have a hard time believing that Lawyer Milloy, Sam Adams or Takeo Spikes would be Buffalo Bills if Alex Van Pelt were at quarterback. So before you kill Drew you must thank him for bringing a name to the Buffalo Bills again and bringing in marquee free agents. Now to the future, JP Losman. This kid certainly looks like the real deal physically. He has the arm strength, arm accuracy, mobility and knowledge to play the position. The question is how long will it take him to adjust to the NFL. I’ve scene some writers and even fans saying that putting essentially a rookie quarterback will make this team worse. I don’t see it. How can you do worse then what Bledsoe did last year? He single handily lost us several games last year including his handoff to 3<SUP>rd</SUP> string linebacker James Harrison in his biggest game as a Buffalo Bill. JP Losman is going to make mistakes but he is going to do more good then harm. Kelly Holcomb signed in the off-season is a very good backup quarterback. Nice signing and for fairly cheap.

RB situation

I remember in April of 2003 defending the McGahee pick saying, “They took the best player available. He is going to be something special.” I know a lot of you guys felt the same way. Last year in his 1<SUP>st</SUP> season in a Buffalo Bill uniform Willis proved us right and showed just how special he could be. Willis’ year did put the Bills in a tough spot with former pro bowler Travis Henry. Henry wanted out and the Bills wanted a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> round pick for him. It took a while but the Titans have a new running back and we have what looks to be a high 3<SUP>rd</SUP> round pick. It is now Willis McGahee’s team. He is going to carry the bulk of this team on offense with essentially a rookie quarterback behind center. If last year is any indication Willis is going to have a pro bowl year. I think he’s going to be right up there with LaDanian Tomlinson as the best running back in football. Shaud Williams did a solid job as the backup last year when Henry went down but rookie Lionel Gates has impressed in camp so far and the Bills also signed Rashard Lee to help with the running back depth. In the end I think Gates wins the backup job.

FB/TE Situation<o:p></o:p>

Damion Shelton was arguably the best fullback in football last year. It is beyond me why he didn’t make it to the pro bowl but he certainly deserved it. He was Sam Gash like in his best years. Before their injuries Mark Campbell and Tim Euhus were very good. Campbell was a good blocker and a nice target in the red zone. Euhus was more of a receiver in the open field and seemed to be coming along nicely. I really liked the Everett pick and it’s a shame that he’s done for the year but I am a fan of Campbell and Euhus.

WR Situation

Quick, how many people would have taken Reggie Williams instead of Lee Evans if he were there at #13 last year? I know a lot of us would have but I’m certainly glad we didn’t. Evans was the deep threat we needed and played big time football especially late in the year. I expect big things out of Lee this year. Moulds had a case of the dropsies last year but still had 88 catches, 1043 yards and 5 touchdowns. Not bad for a down year. With the 1<SUP>st</SUP> pick for the Bills took a wide receiver? In a surprise pick they took Miami U wide out Roscoe Parrish. I happened to like this pick. I would have preferred Clemson cornerback Justin Miller but Parrish adds another dimension to this off-season, which is going to be needed for our young quarterback. Parrish is an explosive guy that is an ideal slot #3 receiver and also a dangerous punt returner. Josh Reed had a big rookie year but has had 2 down years in a row. If Parrish wasn’t drafted I thought Reed would have a nice year this year but being 4<SUP>th</SUP> and possibly 5<SUP>th</SUP> on the wide receiver depth chart doesn’t look to be too good for Reed. Expect a trade before the season starts involving Reed. Aiken didn’t step up like expected when Reed faltered but is still a very good #4/#5 WR. Look for the Bills wide receivers to have big years.

Oline Situation

Our weakest area is our offensive line. We do however have a very powerful running offensive line. Big Mike, Villarrial and newcomer Bennie Anderson are maulers. Should be exciting to see these guys along with Shelton run the ball. Big Mike really started to play at a probowl level late in the year last year. Villarrial has been superb since we brought him in here. Anderson although penalty prone and not great in the passing game is a monster at run blocking. Mike Gandy at left tackle is a major question mark. He was released by a tackle desperate Chicago Bear team last year. So far early in camp he has been impressive. Trey Teague is an underrated player. A lot of you guys have killed him but he really has been very good for us. He cannot long snap but that’s also a combination of Bledsoe and Teague but he can run block well, superb at pass blocking, smart at changing on the fly and doesn’t make penalties. Jason Peters is a project LT. So far he has done a good job and looks like we may actually find out starting LT. Ross Tucker can do it all and did a good job replacing several guys last year. If someone goes down you can do a lot worse then Ross Tucker.

Kicker Situation

Rian Lindell hasn’t exactly been great but he hasn’t been as bad as a lot of you guys say. He doesn’t have a strong leg but he is very accurate. He did miss a huge kick in Week 17.

DE Situation

Aaron Schobel has really proven to be a steal in the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> round. Not known much around the league the guy just continues to not only put pressure on the QB and bring double teams away from the other defensive lineman. He also is stout against the run and has been known to drop back in coverage. Chris Kelsay is my breakout player for the Bills this year. The guy added some weight and has been impressive in camp. He is quicker and more agile then he was last year and has more strength. He is a hard worker and has improved in the run game. Look for him to have a good year. Ryan Denney has been a disappointment as a 2<SUP>nd</SUP> round pick. He does well against the run and has been used in several offensive situations but other then that he’s nothing more then a good backup.

DT Situation

Sam Adams hasn’t lost a step. He is a good pass rusher for a DT and very good against the run. He and Schobel both get doubled at times which helps the rest of the line and the linebackers. He’s only missed 6 games in his career due to injury. With the loss of Pat Williams Ron Edwards steps in and I for 1 and happy about that. Edwards is better at pass rushing and has more stamina to stay on the field. It was a luxury to have a guy like Edwards as the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> man in but Edwards is going to impress again this year as a starter. The guy is on his way. A lot of coaches in the Bills organization are very high on 2<SUP>nd</SUP> year man Tim Anderson. The guy is another hard worker which seems to be a theme with Tom Donahoe guys and has added muscle. Lauvale Sape has been a practice squad guy but will likely make the team this year. Bills coaches have been impressed with this guy as well.

LB Situation

Arguably the best starting linebacker core in the league. Takeo Spikes leads the way as far as talent but London Fletcher is the emotionally leader. Fletcher is arguably the best free agent signing we’ve made. He solidifies the middle of the field and also plays very well on special teams. Takeo Spikes is a playmaker. He is also around the ball to make plays and will continue to be a big time player. Jeff Posey hasn’t had the # of sacks that some would have liked but we have to remember that Posey was playing in a 3-4 in Houston which is basically like Posey was playing DE. Here he is more of a coverage guy then he is a blitzer. I think we could use an upgrade next year but Posey has been solid. I’m a big fan of our backups. Haggan, Crowell and Stamer have all been solid on special teams and Haggan and Crowell especially seem to be able to become a starter eventually.

CB Situation

Nate Clements is a top 3 cornerback. Pay the man. He needs to be resigned. I don’t know how much simpler it can get then that. He takes away half of the field. Terrence McGee was the best kick returner in the league last year. He also is very good and improving as a cornerback. Thrown into the starting spot when Vincent went down McGee seemed to get better each game. I like our nickel, dime and quarter cornerbacks. Kevin Thomas has proven that he can play as a nickel and Greer was very impressive for an undrafted free agent last year. Eric King has been very impressive in camp and may emerge as the nickel corner if he keeps it up.

S Situation

Besides the Eagles and Ravens I’d take the Bills safeties ahead of anybody. Heck depth wise I think I would take the Bills ahead of them. Troy Vincent is a playmaker and showed it in the few games he played safety. Lawyer Milloy is also a playmaker but more of an in the box playmaker player. Rashad Baker was very impressive last year and passed up some higher paid, highly regarded safeties on the depth chart last year. Coy Wire our special teams ace is not very good in coverage but when you can cover kicks like he can its not that big of a deal. Another undrafted Bills player is impressing and that’s Jim Leonhard. He is a guy to look out for.

P Situation

Moorman is not only 1 of the best punters but he’s probably 1 of the faster punters in the league. When you factor in the weather conditions I wouldn’t take anybody ahead of Moorman. A guy like Moorman completely changes a game especially when you have a young quarter back.

In short the Bills have arguably the best defense and special teams in the league. Where this season is going to be decided on is the pass blocking. JP is not going have to do a ton but he’s going to have to keep the defense honest. I think the pass blocking is the thing that could hurt us as far as passing. I am completely confident with our offensive weapons and with JP behind center but our pass blocking needs work. If we pass block effectively the sky is the limit and I truly believe that. If we can’t pass block then its basically Drew Bledsoe behind center again.

ShadowHawk7
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Good work on the analysis. Thanks much. :posrep:

colin
08-13-2005, 10:24 PM
nice

my take on the QB situation:

last year, would we have pulled bledsoe if we had holcombe on our team?

i think we would have, so we are better off this year even if JP sucks, and if he comes through we are MUCH better off

The_Philster
08-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Nice post :up:

Sportsuser101
08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys. Took me about a week to get it done. Got so much going on in my life right now don't have as much time as I use to.

TigerJ
08-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Good thoughts. A few spelling/word usage errors, but I'll let those slide since you're a loyal fan.

Bufftp
08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Nice read SU101 :up: