PDA

View Full Version : Jim "Rudy" Leonhard

Kerr
08-14-2005, 12:50 AM
http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050802/SPORTS0103/508020312/-1/ARCHIVE4

Anyone read this article? Seeing as how Coy Wire was showed off his "spectacular talents" against the colts, I think there's a good chance Leonhard can win the backup SS position. He's small, but so is Bob Sanders for the colts. Isn't he a starter? I thought Leonard led Wisconsin in career ints, but he's actually tied with former dolphin, jamar fletcher for most ints by a badger. Wire comes off as a good guy, but he was drafted as a 46 D SS, which we aren't really using anymore. Wire can't cover much at all. He's only good at special teams and run stuffing, maybe even blitzing. We need a SS who can do more than this. Leonard as it appears from the preseason game, had an int off Travis Brown, but it was called back because of a penalty on another player. As of now he's the rudy of the defense. I'll be pulling for this guy to win the backup SS job.

vicmantak
08-14-2005, 12:57 AM
SS is the captain of the secondary and it's exactly the time to develop "someone" under Lawyer Milloy...

FlyingDutchman
08-14-2005, 01:56 AM
I like this kid too...hes fiesty:tip:

Konyeezie
08-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Rudy sucked.

This guy is a playmaker.

Mr. Miyagi
08-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I've had my eye on this guy since he's a badger. :up:

The Spaz
08-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Can't even compare him to "Rudy" Leonhard statrted 3 or 4 years of his college career.

Tatonka
08-14-2005, 12:35 PM
i am pulling for him.. thing is.. he needs to make some plays on special teams if he wants to stick.

casdhf
08-14-2005, 01:02 PM
He's a FS isn't he?

casdhf
08-14-2005, 01:06 PM
"The boyish Leonhard appears like he should be working the counter at McDonald's."

Don't worry, Leo, I'm sure he will be soon. He really shoulda left that part out lol

Skatt8011
08-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Leonhard was a savage at Wisconsin, and the fact that he went undrafted just shows how meaningless these NFL combines really are.

The way I see it, some guys can just flat out play football and some guys are paper champs.

And Leonhard can most definetly play the game to the highest level.

Kerr
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Can't even compare him to "Rudy" Leonhard statrted 3 or 4 years of his college career.

I was only comparing him to rudy in terms of making the team. He's an undrafted FA, so some people would classify him as camp fodder. I don't considering rashad baker and jabari greer made the team as undrafted FA's. Like I said, I hope he makes it. He played both safety spots in college.

justasportsfan
08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
he's too short, top TE's will eat him up.

ryjam282
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't it be great for our cap if in the future we had him and Baker starting in the secondary, if they can hack it of course. Being that they are both UDFA's they would be pretty cheap for a few years and as long as they can make some plays I could care less when they were picked or picked at all.

vicmantak
08-16-2005, 05:52 AM
he's too short, top TE's will eat him up.I hope you are wrong but it makes sense...
If he is the next Mark Kelso... in other words: an overall good player, excellent anticipation, nice QB readings, INTERCEPTIONS, etc... but too short and hopefully not but without enough agressiveness.

Turf
08-16-2005, 06:10 AM
Leonhard might be the second coming of Tasker.

justasportsfan
08-16-2005, 07:51 AM
He was always close to the ball no matter where it was at last nights . He really hase a nose for the ball. Question is, can he cover during passing plays?

mchurchfie
08-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Leonhard might be the second coming of Tasker.He is not as athletic as Tasker was. Once at a benefit basketball game I saw Tasker come within inches of slamdunking the ball with a brace on his knee.

Kerr
08-16-2005, 12:54 PM
he's too short, top TE's will eat him up.

He is short, but good players find a way to overcome their shortcomings. Antoine Winfield did a pretty good job overcoming his height here in buffalo. I'm not saying leonhard is or will be as good as winfield, but from everything i've read on him(more than 1 article) he plays smart and makes plays. As far as top TE's carving him up, I think he went up against good TE's in college. I'll have to look at the stat book. If he has a good verticle leap, then he shouldn't have a problem jumping for high balls.

justasportsfan
08-16-2005, 01:02 PM
He is short, but good players find a way to overcome their shortcomings. Antoine Winfield did a pretty good job overcoming his height here in buffalo. I'm not saying leonhard is or will be as good as winfield, but from everything i've read on him(more than 1 article) he plays smart and makes plays. As far as top TE's carving him up, I think he went up against good TE's in college. I'll have to look at the stat book. If he has a good verticle leap, then he shouldn't have a problem jumping for high balls.what if the TE has a high vertical leap? :D. Winfield was a cb. QB are not as accurate with deep balls than they are throwing up the middle. He could easily get beaten with a jumpball type of throw. Oh and yeah, college is not the NFL.

mysticsoto
08-16-2005, 01:09 PM
what if the TE has a high vertical leap? :D. Winfield was a cb. QB are not as accurate with deep balls than they are throwing up the middle. He could easily get beaten with a jumpball type of throw. Oh and yeah, college is not the NFL.
All good points, but I have to say that Coy Wire ALWAYS seems to be late. If it's a choice between Leonhard getting there in time and forcing a hit to knock the ball out and/or a quick tackle vs Coy getting there to late to make a play at all...I'd go with Leonhard...

The_Philster
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
If he's gonna replace Wire, shouldn't he be gettting some reps at SS? Right now he's last on the depth chart at FS..anyone think he'll get some time at SS over Marvin Ward and Daniel Leger?

John Doe
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
If he's gonna replace Wire, shouldn't he be gettting some reps at SS? Right now he's last on the depth chart at FS.

Good point. When push comes to shove, I think that Baker is the back-up at both saftey postions. Wire is a special teamer who can fill in at strong saftey as a last resort. Leonard? He can be stowed on the practice squad. No other team is going to sign him to their regular 53 without the benefit of seeing him for a full training camp.

Konyeezie
08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
He is not as athletic as Tasker was. Once at a benefit basketball game I saw Tasker come within inches of slamdunking the ball with a brace on his knee.

Jim Leonhard won his football team's dunk contest like 3 years in a row... he not only dunks but gets high enough where he can do some tricks with it.

Kerr
08-16-2005, 11:44 PM
what if the TE has a high vertical leap? :D. Winfield was a cb. QB are not as accurate with deep balls than they are throwing up the middle. He could easily get beaten with a jumpball type of throw. Oh and yeah, college is not the NFL.

All true, but if bob sanders can start for the colts at 5-8, then I think leonard has a chance to make the team at least.

The_Philster
08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Good point. When push comes to shove, I think that Baker is the back-up at both saftey postions. Then maybe..to get Leonhard a spot, we should be seeing Baker get some reps at SS

LtFinFan66
08-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Sounds like a kid you can't help but root for.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-17-2005, 05:48 AM
I saw Leonhard play a lot in college (for some reason we get a lot of Wisconsin games on TV here) and I was constantly reminded of a LB that I saw play in college who was also too small and too slow to play in the NFL by the name of Zack Thomas. Like Thomas, Leonhard was always around the ball, making big plays, etc.

I was delighted that the Bills signed Leonhard as an UDFA and I'm really pulling for him to make the team. Everything that has been said about the limitations of his size are true, but he just seems to have a natural knack for the game.

But, I do think that he is really going to have to show something on special teams to make the Bills' roster. And, I'm not sure that he has the size to play SS--he is a Mark Kelso-type FS. But, if Baker can handle the SS back-up spot and Leonhard can get the job done on special teams, I would rather have a ball-hawking Leonhard as a reserve in my defensive backfield than a Coy Wire who doesn't have a clue where the ball is on a passing play until after it has been caught.

Kerr
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Good input. I like the comparison to Mark Kelso. It seems like they would have to give baker a try at strong safety in order to give way to leonard. Because of his height, he is probably better suited at FS. When Bob Sanders came out of Iowa, the colts converted him to FS, and now it seems he's a starter over there. At the very least, i'd like to see him on the PS.