X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly The Dog
    • Jul 2002

Random observations from the game

1. J.P. looked okay to me again. Certainly not great, and certainly not terrible. He does some things very well, and the one thing he has been clearly suspect at, his accuracy, can be fixed. He is not known for being a inaccurate thrower. His stats were lousy but he had at least three drops on passes right in the receivers hands, and I thought the only ball he threw downfield was a very nice pass and could have hit Evans in stride if Lee wasn't tangled up and accidentally tripped by the DB. He didn't have any stupid throws, or INTs, and he really made only one bad play, the fumble, which he looked rotten on. I still contend that he will be more than fine without putting up gaudy numbers. For example, on 3-10, he scrambled and ran out of bounds for 9 yards which allowed us to go on 4th and 1 on the lone TD drive. It doesn't show up much on the stat sheet but it was a very good play. His ball-handling and escapability is very good already. For his first start, he was about what should have been expected.

2. That was really a terrible game. The penalties were ridiculous on the Bills, and I'm sure Mularkey is going to ream them for it. The first D and ST obviously looked in mid-season form.

3. Ron Edwards looks like he is not going to let the D slack off without Phat Pat. he looks huge out there and made several nice plays. Right now he is playing better than I thought he would but it is only pre-season. Who knows.

4. Coy Wire as everyone knows, officially stinks. He couldn't even do the one thing he is supposed to be able to do.

5. ReShard Lee may not make the team. Shaud is a lock for the "breather" back-up to Willis. And right now I think Gates looks better than Lee for the #3 and workhorse back if Willis goes down. Although it would likely be RB by committee with Shaud, who is a lot more impressive this year. I would hate to see us have to play without Willis though, he is already the MVP of the team because we're lost without him.

6. Josh continues to suck. I think if I were the coaches I may keep Drew Haddad over him. But Parrish getting hurt throws a little wrench into things. I am now convinced Aiken will make the team because of ST and his blocking. Josh is probably fighting Fast Freddie for a roster spot, and FF didn't have a stellar game either.

7. All three of those back-up LBs continue to shine. Back-ups two years ago were a complete question mark. Last year they stopped being a worry. This year they are a clear strength. We even got a glimpse of the madman Ezekial last night who will likely be on the PS.

8. Terrence McGee was very good as a CB last night, the best I have seen him play. He didn't give much up and continually was in great position and knocked the ball down.

9. We do leave our middle wide open for TEs down the seams and we're going to get torched by it unless they make some minor adjustments. I don't know why teams don't do it a lot more against us.

10. The WRs really had a bad day all around. Too many dropped balls on very catchable passes. None of the back-ups stood out except Haddad, who had a couple very nice plays.

11. Gandy seemed to hold up for the second straight game. Our biggest question mark in my mind has accounted himself pretty well. All I am looking from him is not to not get flat out beat and he hasn't yet.

12. Overall, however, the O-line play was lousy. A few nice holes in the running game but a lot of penalties and mistakes and not a lot of time for Losman or the other QBs to throw. I still think, however, when the real bullets fly, a healthy Willis, and the first offense, good coaching, and Moulds/Evans/Parrish will be able to move the ball.

13. I really love the Bills coaches attitude this year. They aren't scared of anything. They come after you the entire game on defense, no matter who is playing. They mix up the run and pass well. They do onside kicks after a penalty (which really should have worked). This is going to be a fun team to watch this year, albeit a little frustrating at times.

14. We have more depth on this team than probably any Bills team in the last ten years. The offensive line is the exception, and we better hope we make it through the year without a lot of injuries so Preston and Peters can be solid back-ups next year if not starters.

15. Eric King was also very impressive for a rookie and seems a lock as the #5 CB. We are in good shape with Greer and Thomas (when he gets healthy) and King as back-ups.
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Random observations from the game

Great report, did not see the game last night (i will Tivo it Monday). Thanks

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
      1. J.P. looked okay to me again. Certainly not great, and certainly not terrible. He does some things very well, and the one thing he has been clearly suspect at, his accuracy, can be fixed. He is not known for being a inaccurate thrower. His stats were lousy but he had at least three drops on passes right in the receivers hands, and I thought the only ball he threw downfield was a very nice pass and could have hit Evans in stride if Lee wasn't tangled up and accidentally tripped by the DB. He didn't have any stupid throws, or INTs, and he really made only one bad play, the fumble, which he looked rotten on. I still contend that he will be more than fine without putting up gaudy numbers. For example, on 3-10, he scrambled and ran out of bounds for 9 yards which allowed us to go on 4th and 1 on the lone TD drive. It doesn't show up much on the stat sheet but it was a very good play. His ball-handling and escapability is very good already. For his first start, he was about what should have been expected.

2. That was really a terrible game. The penalties were ridiculous on the Bills, and I'm sure Mularkey is going to ream them for it. The first D and ST obviously looked in mid-season form.

3. Ron Edwards looks like he is not going to let the D slack off without Phat Pat. he looks huge out there and made several nice plays. Right now he is playing better than I thought he would but it is only pre-season. Who knows.

4. Coy Wire as everyone knows, officially stinks. He couldn't even do the one thing he is supposed to be able to do.

5. ReShard Lee may not make the team. Shaud is a lock for the "breather" back-up to Willis. And right now I think Gates looks better than Lee for the #3 and workhorse back if Willis goes down. Although it would likely be RB by committee with Shaud, who is a lot more impressive this year. I would hate to see us have to play without Willis though, he is already the MVP of the team because we're lost without him.

6. Josh continues to suck. I think if I were the coaches I may keep Drew Haddad over him. But Parrish getting hurt throws a little wrench into things. I am now convinced Aiken will make the team because of ST and his blocking. Josh is probably fighting Fast Freddie for a roster spot, and FF didn't have a stellar game either.

7. All three of those back-up LBs continue to shine. Back-ups two years ago were a complete question mark. Last year they stopped being a worry. This year they are a clear strength. We even got a glimpse of the madman Ezekial last night who will likely be on the PS.

8. Terrence McGee was very good as a CB last night, the best I have seen him play. He didn't give much up and continually was in great position and knocked the ball down.

9. We do leave our middle wide open for TEs down the seams and we're going to get torched by it unless they make some minor adjustments. I don't know why teams don't do it a lot more against us.

10. The WRs really had a bad day all around. Too many dropped balls on very catchable passes. None of the back-ups stood out except Haddad, who had a couple very nice plays.

11. Gandy seemed to hold up for the second straight game. Our biggest question mark in my mind has accounted himself pretty well. All I am looking from him is not to not get flat out beat and he hasn't yet.

12. Overall, however, the O-line play was lousy. A few nice holes in the running game but a lot of penalties and mistakes and not a lot of time for Losman or the other QBs to throw. I still think, however, when the real bullets fly, a healthy Willis, and the first offense, good coaching, and Moulds/Evans/Parrish will be able to move the ball.

13. I really love the Bills coaches attitude this year. They aren't scared of anything. They come after you the entire game on defense, no matter who is playing. They mix up the run and pass well. They do onside kicks after a penalty (which really should have worked). This is going to be a fun team to watch this year, albeit a little frustrating at times.

14. We have more depth on this team than probably any Bills team in the last ten years. The offensive line is the exception, and we better hope we make it through the year without a lot of injuries so Preston and Peters can be solid back-ups next year if not starters.

15. Eric King was also very impressive for a rookie and seems a lock as the #5 CB. We are in good shape with Greer and Thomas (when he gets healthy) and King as back-ups.
      1) Dont agree, I think the lack of BIG problems is a very very good thing. Did you watch Alex Smith? watch him, thats what a rookie QB looks like.

2) Agree

3) Agree

4) Agree

5) Absolutely agree. Shaud will get us nice 3rd down yards and be a force this year. Hes our #2 for sure.

6) Agree and disagree. Josh blows. But I thought Aiken looked real good as well as Haddad

7) Agree

8) Absolutely agree. I thought he got way too much criticism last year. He is a very very good CB.

9) Didnt really notice it, ill take your word.

10) I thought it was a mixed bag, nice plays by Haddad and Aiken, Evans. But too much stumblin, bumblin, and almost fumbiln

11) Completely agree and this was our #1 concern, that bodes very very well

12) Run blocking didnt look good at all, too many penalties

13) Agree

14) Agree

15) Agree

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

I agree that it was plainly evident that Wire sucked last night. He missed tackles and let guys get by him multiple times.

On a lighter note, I thought Greer looked really good. I thought Haddad played well too, just like in the Green Bay scrimmage. Glad to see a UB guy making some really good plays out there.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

The first D and ST obviously looked in mid-season form.

That's what really impressed me. They are totally ready to go...and it was very evident when the players lower on the depth chart were being rotated in and they were all still making plays. If the offense can make first downs and score some points consistently...we are going to have a very good football team this season. I also think this does a lot for JP...because he clearly knows the offense well and takes charge on the field...but he also knows it all doesn't rest on his shoulders. As long as he does his part he doesn't have to do it all...something that DB would try and do and along would come that deer in headlights look...

Comment

• BigZ
            • Sep 2003

Nice anaylsis guys. I especially agree with the "rookie" QB comment. JP looks way more mature and prepared than the highly rated rooks at SF and GB.

Didn't get to see much of the garbage time. How did Peters look when he was in at LT?

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Two very good points...

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
              I think they're both gone. Reed will end up on the fish for one last hurrah with his college coach, (they love the scraps from our table) and Smith will probably end up on someone's practice squad.

Absolutely.....and this defense is going to smother opponents.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zielinski
                Nice anaylsis guys. I especially agree with the "rookie" QB comment. JP looks way more mature and prepared than the highly rated rooks at SF and GB.

Didn't get to see much of the garbage time. How did Peters look when he was in at LT?
                Peters looked okay to me whenever I keyed on him. He looked fine in pass coverage but i didnt get a good look at him in the run game. Maybe someone else could give a better evaluation if they looked closer than I did. He seems to be in good position backing up and pass blocking from what I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                X