PDA

View Full Version : No serious issues with JP at this point

X-Era
08-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Id love to sit here and say I see _____ as a potential problem. I honestly cant do it. It may change when they play for real, who knows.

Heres what Im not saying:

1) The guy is Peyton Manning right now
2) The is making all the right reads
3) The guy can carry the team when everyone else fails
4) The guy has been perfect so far

Heres what I am saying:

1) The guy right now, today, is better than Drew was (he made plays when Drew would have been sacked)
2) He has shown so far decent to good presence in the pocket.
1) Only 1 sack so far and I doubt Vick could have gotten out of it.
2) At least 6 plays where he got out of a sack and made a play.
3) This is the BEST assett of what I have seen so far from him.
4) He is playing like a vet and not forcing things.
5) He has shown the internal clock and is getting it out in 3 seconds.
3) The guy is accurate. After watching Drew throw behind and way in front of his WR's. This is a nice change of pace. He has missed his target a few times, but also has threaded the needle more often.
4) He has a cannon for an arm. If anything, he puts too much on the ball. He can absolutely make all the throws. And throwing rockets will decrease the number of picks. Provided that he keeps his accuracy.
5) He has all the scramble we need. In the 2 games weve seen, he has made several plays with his legs.
6) He has the intangibles of a Flutie. I love the play where he fakes a throw to get the DT to jump and throws it when hes in the air. Very Flutie like.

Overall, I feel we are in good hands. Some of the stumbling as an O so far may be due to a vanilla O. But, to me, I havent seen anything where we may say, "ohh boy he is going to have to change that". To me, there hasnt been any big negatives to talk about, and without legit criticisms we should feel pretty good because iot only gets better with experience. Can you argue slow starts, maybe. Drew last year was terrible for many games that way.

I think its important to remember that if JP wins just 1 more game than a Drew lead team did last year, we are in the playoffs.

Furthermore, Drew was average at best last year. Joey Harrington had a better passers rating. JP only needs to play methodical, not make big mistakes, and make solid, drive moving plays. So far thats what Ive seen with glimpses off star level talent. He DOES NOT look like a rookie to me.

DMBcrew36
08-14-2005, 09:16 AM
The only thing I didn't really like about the performance against the Colts was his fumble on our 6-yard line (or wherever it was). Better now than in regular season though, I suppose. He'll definitely improve and grow more comfortable by September 11th.

Italian Stallion
08-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I couldn't agree more man. I really am not concerned about him at all. He has a great defense and ST to fall back on, and a very smart coachign staff that will put him in situations to be sucessfull

HeadSquad69
08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I agree with the spirit of this thread. I think JP will be fine. The big issue I see with this team that seems to kills us year in and year out is the penalties, especially on offense, and especially early in the season. Even though it was the first pre-season game, 14 penalties is ridiculous. I hope Mularkey and the staff send a clear message this week that this won't be tolerated.

Anyone else a little annoyed at all the penalties?

X-Era
08-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree with the spirit of this thread. I think JP will be fine. The big issue I see with this team that seems to kills us year in and year out is the penalties, especially on offense, and especially early in the season. Even though it was the first pre-season game, 14 penalties is ridiculous. I hope Mularkey and the staff send a clear message this week that this won't be tolerated.

Anyone else a little annoyed at all the penalties?
Agree, and to throw a Losman related spin on it, would it be nice for HIM to go Kelly-esque and get in their faces!!!! I have seriously wanted that type of QB since Kelly left, I thought and hope JP is that kind of leader because we always seem to need it!

justasportsfan
08-14-2005, 11:21 AM
He needed the experience but I do worry about what could happen if he faced better D's. If he keeps playing like that throughtout preseason, I'd rather we start Holcomb until JP is ready.

baalworship
08-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Jp Losman has something that Drew Bledsoe didn't have, pocket presence. he feels the rush coming and gets rid of the ball.

He has a cannon for an arm and I would rather have our WR's learn how to catch his bullets then for him to take mustard off passes,unless they are short screens to RB's & TE's.

My only complaint is that he gets a little too hyped up early . Hopefully as he gains confidence he will relax and let his ability take over.

STAMPY
08-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Wow Wow wow. Im happy with JP thus far, Ease up on the peyton Manning references

FlyingDutchman
08-14-2005, 01:54 PM
One thing i noticed that JP does is the happy feet. Where drew used to pat the ball when pressured, JP get a serious case of the happy feet. He really needs to keep them set and ready, then bail if needed. Besides that, he has lots of arm strength, great scrambling abilities, and a pretty cool head from what ive seen so far. For all the analysts saying were going to be worse simply bc JP have another thought comin.

That Guy
08-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow Wow wow. Im happy with JP thus far, Ease up on the peyton Manning references
Show me a Peyton Manning reference.

Philagape
08-14-2005, 02:57 PM
This game was a microcosm of how every Bills game should go ... JP make some plays, makes some mistakes, but D wins it.

buffalofan19
08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Jp Losman has something that Drew Bledsoe didn't have, pocket presence. he feels the rush coming and gets rid of the ball.

It wasn't really pocket presence. In the first quarter and most of the second, Losman didn't really stay in the pocket at all. He just dropped back and took off without at least trying to let something happen. It was a big reason why he onlywent 2 for 8 or whatever he did in the 1st quarter, In the late stages of the 2nd quarter, Losman actually stayed in the pocket for a little bit and that's where he made his plays. I like his mobility, but I don't like this mentality that he needs it on every pass attempt. He needs to be more patient. That should come with time and experience though. My question is: how long will it take?

eee1776
08-14-2005, 04:49 PM
For all practical purposes for his first preseason game this its what I expected from him..some good, some bad. It didn't help that one good drve that he had on Lyndells fieldgoal that the offensive line had demenshia and couldn't remeber the snap count. Whats up with Preston? As long as we see improvement from preseason game to preseason game, I not to concerened.

bledslow
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
umm,am i the only one that seen jp struggle against the weak colts 1st string defense??? and he only got better after the colts 2nd and 3rd stringers got in the game? i cannot be the only person here with good eyes that seen this.

HeadSquad69
08-14-2005, 07:51 PM
umm,am i the only one that seen jp struggle against the weak colts 1st string defense??? and he only got better after the colts 2nd and 3rd stringers got in the game? i cannot be the only person here with good eyes that seen this.
Dude 11-19 for 88 yards and a TD is not a bad outing in your first official NFL start. I don't care if it was against a lousy banged up Colts D. And remember, this is the preseason these games are meaningless.

Tinboy
08-15-2005, 01:21 AM
I must admit the him impressed with what I saw from JP, let's see what he can do in the next game.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2005, 08:26 AM
This might change, but I see JP as a bigger, stronger-armed version of Flutie. And I say that in a very positive way. He moves, and scrambles and throws on the run much like Doug.

Flutie was a winner for us, despite his limited ability. JP is far more talented. I think it's a great combination.

The_Philster
08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
as long as he knows that it's better to throw to the open receivers than to run around like a chicken with its head cut off...I can live with that

SyraBillsLican
08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
It wasn't really pocket presence. In the first quarter and most of the second, Losman didn't really stay in the pocket at all. He just dropped back and took off without at least trying to let something happen. It was a big reason why he onlywent 2 for 8 or whatever he did in the 1st quarter, In the late stages of the 2nd quarter, Losman actually stayed in the pocket for a little bit and that's where he made his plays. I like his mobility, but I don't like this mentality that he needs it on every pass attempt. He needs to be more patient. That should come with time and experience though. My question is: how long will it take?What are you talking about? JP was 2 of 8 by no fault of his own. one pass was dropped. one was ruled a drop, but wasnt (Reed) and the play when that defender trippeed Lee coulda gone for a TD. that puts him at 5 of 8. OVER .500!not only that, but he was screwed into havingn to make the long throws bc of the damn penalties. JP looked FANTASTIC!!! there should not be so much talk over a slow start.

CuseJetsFan83
08-16-2005, 01:04 AM
jp's only issue by me for him to be the quarterback of the bills is his lack of reps........but for your sake at least he is getting some quality time in the preseason, instead of the end of a season, or being forced in.

now, this is a bit of a sidebar, but is parrish going to be used as a returner/backup for clements only, or will he be getting the reps as a 1/2/3 WR??