PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Game 1 Observations: Bills @ Colts

Michael82
08-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Ahhh...boy is it good to have football back and be able to watch the Bills, isn’t it? I won’t rub it in too much since I know many Bills fans here aren’t local and couldn’t see the Bills preseason game.

To start, there were positives and infuriating negatives in this game. In general, I pay little attention to a preseason score or even a win. I prefer to look at the plays and talk about what was done well and what needs work. I don’t intend on listing play by play details as you will no doubt be able to read those elsewhere. Instead, I’ll list my observations of the game and hope to give you enough details to show you where some players stand....

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/08/13/bills_17_colts_10.php

Michael82
08-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Great article, man! :bf1: I hope to see many more from you. :up:

mysticsoto
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Great article, man! :bf1: I hope to see many more from you. :up:
Thanks. Hopefully those that weren't able to watch the game will get something out of it. Overall, I thought it was a great game and love the trust level I now feel whenever the D comes out!

I can't wait til the real season starts!!!

Michael82
08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone else read it? If so, please post your comments or feedback for mysticsoto. :feedback:

The_Philster
08-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Nice read :up:

ublinkwescore
08-14-2005, 03:50 PM
It was a little long though for those of us with ADD - took me like a 1/2 hour to read it.

mysticsoto
08-14-2005, 04:48 PM
It was a little long though for those of us with ADD - took me like a 1/2 hour to read it.
The last time I posted observations on what I saw in TC, people told me it was too short. I guess I'll have to find a happy medium...

TigerJ
08-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I saw most of the game. I thought the article is right on and not too long. Not averyone here has ADD. Except for some dumb penalties, I thought the team was way ahead of where I usually expect to see it in the first preseason game. The refs too were in midseason form, making several bad calls including at least one phantom offsides call on a kickoff.

jmb1099
08-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Good report!
Thanks for taking the time

Dozerdog
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
The last time I posted observations on what I saw in TC, people told me it was too short. I guess I'll have to find a happy medium...Don't listen to Ublink- With his adult attention def.......

HEY LETS GO RIDE A BIKE!!!!

mysticsoto
08-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys. I suppose people who saw the game don't care to spend that much time reading about it. But I mostly had people who may not have seen the game in mind. There the ones who I think appreciate it the most...

In any case, maybe I'll try and cut some a little next time. I was up until 2 AM writing that and I only got through the Offense. I was too hyper from watching our defense and couldn't sleep. Then I slept for 6 hours and woke up hyper and finished the defense and special teams sections.

I'll probably focus more on players next time instead of doing units. And I'll skip the veterans unless there's something spectacular that needs to be mentioned...

vicmantak
08-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks mysticsoto! It's a great article!
I can only tell you that people like you make this message board way interesting.

On the other hand, what's your opinion about Teague and the impact of Mike Williams' abscence in this pre-season game?

The last buffalo fan
08-14-2005, 10:54 PM
The last time I posted observations on what I saw in TC, people told me it was too short. I guess I'll have to find a happy medium...
Are you kidding me?? Give us more, damn it I wish I could have an article to read, for at least an hour of good read like this of my beloved bills. Good work mysticsoto THANK YOU!!! http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon14.gif

mysticsoto
08-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks mysticsoto! It's a great article!
I can only tell you that people like you make this message board way interesting.

On the other hand, what's your opinion about Teague and the impact of Mike Williams' abscence in this pre-season game?
Well, I think that when you don't have to mention the O-line too much, it's a good reflection on them. I think the only complaint against them were the penalties for false start, holding and the stupid face mask penalty that Bennie Anderson had. But in terms of blocking, they did their job satisfactorily.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that alot of runs seem to be up the middle or toward their left side. I think Mularkey wanted to experiment and see how strong the left side is. After all, we know what the right side can do with Mike Williams.

mysticsoto
08-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Are you kidding me?? Give us more, damn it I wish I could have an article to read, for at least an hour of good read like this of my beloved bills. Good work mysticsoto THANK YOU!!! http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thanks buddy. It's good to know all the time I put into creating that long article is appreciated...

jmb1099
08-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Don't listen to Ublink- With his adult attention def.......

HEY LETS GO RIDE A BIKE!!!!
OMG! This is funny! My wife actually had aadd and she loves your post! Too funny!

"I believe stereo typing is wrong...but really, really accurate!" larry the cable guy

MikeInRoch
08-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Great review, Alex!

ryjam282
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Hell of a job, very informative. Can't wait to get home and see the tape delay on TIVO from this morning. Thanks a million.

Crisis
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Nice read.

Billsman12
08-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Awsome Article!!! :bf1:

ArcticWildMan
08-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Excellent article. Keep 'em coming!! :up:

Yasgur's Farm
08-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Good read - Thanks :posrep:

vicmantak
08-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Also, I couldn't help but notice that alot of runs seem to be up the middle or toward their left side. I think Mularkey wanted to experiment and see how strong the left side is. After all, we know what the right side can do with Mike Williams.Thanks again but does it means that Mularkey didn't want to experiment the right side?

mysticsoto
08-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks again but does it means that Mularkey didn't want to experiment the right side?
What it means is that Mularkey is focusing on JP. The 1st half of the game was mostly passing with a couple of runs here and there. The idea was to work JP's instincts and reads and see what he could do. If he has trouble, then they can take it to the tape the following week and review why he didn't read something correctly, etc.

What didn't help out JP at all were the penalties that kept pushing him back. Is it really fair to say it is JP's fault that at one point we were 1st and 29 ? That might be tough for any QB to come back from. All in all, I think he did better than it looks.

As for the run game, the only thing Mularkey is interested in right now is evaluating who will be the backups. Shaud Williams I think showed he's ready for the #2 position. That leaves Lionel Gates and Lee to battle it out for the 3rd. Given Gates' well-rounded abilities, chances are he will win #3. But since we are a run 1st team, there's no need to go into how we are going to run and show other teams our running sets so that they prepare to defend against it...

HHURRICANE
08-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Anyone else read it? If so, please post your comments or feedback for mysticsoto. :feedback:
I just posted a thread, please read! Thanks.

mysticsoto
08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a retraction to make. In my Preseason game analysis, I mentioned that one of the reasons JP was sacked and fumbled in the 3rd qtr was b'cse Geisinger missed his block. That is a mistake. I went back yesterday and looked at it. It wasn't Geisinger, it was Goldsberry. Geisinger pushed his blocker out and they both went back and out of the camera view. Goldsberry was the FB put in to pick up blitzers and just happened to be where Geisinger would be normally. A Colts DB came in blitzing and Goldsberry stood their like a statue until the DB passed by him for which he then tried to move to block him and was too late. JP was forced to step up and into a linemen causing the fumble. Goldsberry should get the blame for this and not Geisinger or even the line in general...

I just wanted to correct a mistake of mine.

The_Philster
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks again but does it means that Mularkey didn't want to experiment the right side?The right side has a season together already..Gandy and Anderson need more reps to catch up...learn each others' tendencies and learn the unspoken communication that goes on between linemates