PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't that impressed

The_Philster
08-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Don't get me wrong..I thought we played very well last night...but I would've been more impressed had we done that against some actual players..21 injuries...their defense was decimated. I expected us to do well.... but I honestly think that we should've looked even better considering the competition.

casdhf
08-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I thought our 1st team D was fantastic, other than that...50/50

The_Philster
08-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah..but no Edge in the game...I expected them to dominate...I guess I just have high expectations...

SoCalBillsFan
08-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I am pleased with what I saw but not exactly ready to proclaim this a great team. It was just preseason, we didn't see a lot of their first team on both sides of the ball. Took us awhile to get going offensively.

Good start for this team though, they can build on it.

FlyingDutchman
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Colts rushing for the game...-5 yards...thats impressive

The_Philster
08-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I am pleased with what I saw but not exactly ready to proclaim this a great team. It was just preseason, we didn't see a lot of their first team on both sides of the ball. Took us awhile to get going offensively. Good start for this team though, they can build on it.I agree...it gives us something to build on but I ain't gonna get excited about the defense dominating a bunch of scrubs....still..it's an improvement over the season finale. :up:

bills_7
08-14-2005, 03:29 PM
We won... thats what we need in their heads... getn a winning attitude
its only preseason we will be fine come sept... this is a good footbal team... as GW said "we need to execute our plays" during the reg season and we will have a great team

Michael82
08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah..but no Edge in the game...I expected them to dominate...I guess I just have high expectations...
The defense held them to negative rushing yardage all game long. Even Edge wouldn't have been able to run against this D last night. :::

Drive 4 Five
08-14-2005, 11:30 PM
So long as we win, I don't give a flying **** how impressive the win was or wasn't.

JUST WIN BABY!!!

billsburgh
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I'll be happy as long as we see improvement from the offense over the next four weeks.

FlyingDutchman
08-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Malarkey said that one thing that pleased him after the game was that most players treated it like a loss even though they won. A lot of players said there were areas to improve (im sure we can all agree on that)...but I like the attitude of this team. You gotta demand perfection of yourself to be the best.

SeatownBillsFan21
08-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Don't get me wrong..I thought we played very well last night...but I would've been more impressed had we done that against some actual players..21 injuries...their defense was decimated. I expected us to do well.... but I honestly think that we should've looked even better considering the competition.
I agree we could do lots better

snow1989
08-15-2005, 12:43 AM
They're already better...

Bledsoe isn't there!!!

DraftBoy
08-15-2005, 01:45 AM

Dont sell the Colts run game short, Dominic Rhodes was a 1000 yard back for them two season ago and he was silenced, thats impressive imo. But I do agree I want to see more improvement next game.

ryjam282
08-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Can't wait to see the game today at 10. I will give my 2 cents then when I can get a good look at the D. NFL Network didn't show too many defensive plays when they were jumping around to all the games on Saturday night. But a W is a W and all the points were scored by mostly the starting offense....and the ST too of course.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2005, 07:23 AM
We're about where I thought we would be after the first preseason game. The veteran defense looks ready to go, while the offense - with several young and new players - will need every bit of the remaining preseason to be ready for September 11.

jmb1099
08-15-2005, 07:45 AM
We're about where I thought we would be after the first preseason game. The veteran defense looks ready to go, while the offense - with several young and new players - will need every bit of the remaining preseason to be ready for September 11.

Agreed. I was pleased with the two inute drill...nice to know we may finally have one. I was also pleased that JP was disciplined enough to not take off on every play. You could see he was thinking about it, instead he chose to try to pass and I wouldn't be at all suprised if this first game was all about him simply working on that discipline. I think by the time we finish our last pre game we will be ready...time will tell

justasportsfan
08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I agree...it gives us something to build on but I ain't gonna get excited about the defense dominating a bunch of scrubs....still..it's an improvement over the season finale. :up:what did you expect the D to do Phil? -100 yards rushing?

HAMMER
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Colts rushing for the game...-5 yards...thats impressive
To me there is nothing impressive about this, no real passing threat w/o Manning, no real running threat w/o Edge. So we stuffed their scrubs, big deal. The Bills were less than impressive as a whole, but it certainly doesn't concern me. It was the first pre-season game, you can't expect much.

mysticsoto
08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
To me there is nothing impressive about this, no real passing threat w/o Manning, no real running threat w/o Edge. So we stuffed their scrubs, big deal. The Bills were less than impressive as a whole, but it certainly doesn't concern me. It was the first pre-season game, you can't expect much.
There are lots of reasons to be impressed with a -5 net rushing yards allowed by our Defense:

#1, We stuffed Manning and the starters on the 1st sequence just like we stuffed everyone else!

#2, our starting defense was not there all game. Our backups/depth provided for a good portion of that defense. Did you notice when they switched in the backup LBs over the starters? Me neither. Did you notice when they put Eric King in instead of a starter? Nope, I never noticed. I did notice when they put Coy Wire in, unfortunately...

#3, The offense looked worse than what they were due to penalties. It's something to ask Losman, a virtual rookie, to move the chain 10 yds. It's another thing to ask him to handle a 1st and 29! The Bills were pumped up, but need to know how to keep it in control - especially the O-line. I'm sure they'll work on that all this week though. I'll be interested to see how much improved they are against GB.

#4, Our O-line, once considered our biggest weakness hasn't looked too bad at all. Our depth hasn't looked good, but at Left Tackle - our biggest question mark, Gandy has looked good. Atleast he's doing better than Jennings. Jonas is already out for the 1st 2 games of SF's season. I thought usually he got injured during the season. This year, he beat his record...

#5, The game plan that was used on offense was mostly to test JP and his passing abilities. Once the season begins, Willis will be carrying the majority of the bulk. So you shouldn't take the game as indicative of how and what we will do once the season starts.

All in all, I thought we looked pretty good and look forward to our next game. I can't wait already!!!

The_Philster
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
what did you expect the D to do Phil? -100 yards rushing?I'm just saying I can't get excited about performing well with our starters against a bunch of scrubs...if they play like that against a strong team playing its starters, I'll book my hotel for Detroit

FlyingDutchman
08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
I hear ya, but would you rather these scrubs rush for 50 yards on us? we dominated them (as we should). Any time you hold a team to -5 rushing yards in the whole game, is impressive, i dont care who youre playing. Take it as a positive, they did what they should.

The_Philster
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
yeah it's a positive...but hardly anything to get too worked up over, IMO :idunno:

SoCalBillsFan
08-15-2005, 06:11 PM
It is great that we held them to so few yards rushing. THe D did about as good as they could have. Still, it doesn't make it a dominating D just yet because of the level of competition.

TigerJ
08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree Phill, in that I'm not ready to crown the Bills as the best defense in the league on the basis of a performance against the Colts with all their injury problems. On the other hand they did nothing to sow seeds of doubt either. I think they have every chance of being as good as or better than last year. I was disappointed not to see more Colt starters in the game, in particular: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edgerin James, and Dwight Freeney, (and more than a few plays by Manning. I was also disappointed in the penalties. Otherwise, I was pretty happy with everything else.