PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

Crisis
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
OK I'm a couple days late but thought I'd post my thoughts on the game and what I noticed.

JP. I thought he looked good. Physically, he's ready to be an NFL quarterback. I never realised what a cannon he had. He had some bad moments, but his receivers didn't help that much. Alot of dropped balls by Josh Reed and one by Fast Freddie. Not to mention penalties would get us into 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Overall I thought he was pretty good considering his situation.

For the RBs, Willis didn't impress much, but I'm not too worried about that. Shaud Williams stole the show IMO. He would've been that much better if he didn't have a couple big runs called back to stupid penalties. Travis who? He looks bulked up, has good speed, and hits the hole hard. I was really impressed. I was one of his biggest critics last year, but right now I'm comfortable with him backing up Willis. ReShard Lee was average at best, he had one nice run and the rest were nothing. I wasn't impressed with his speed. Lionel Gates was another pleasant suprise. He can go between the tackles and take it outside. After the game I see Shaud as the #2 back with Gates as the 3rd. I'm not big on Lee, I really don't like the idea of him returning kicks with McGee either.

For the WRs, Lee looked good. Moulds was solid, didn't see a lot of action. Evans was out there with Losman the whole time, and you can tell they've been working together alot. IMO Losman felt most comfortable throwing to Evans than anyone else, which also had its drawbacks because he tried to force some throws to him too. Sam Aiken was solid, Josh Reed had the dropsies, so did Fast Freddie. Nothing spectacular from the receiving core.

The TEs look healthy. That's all I can comment on them. Wasn't watching them too heavily.

The OL disappointed me. I think Gandy was solid (granted Freeney didn't play) but Bennie Anderson wasn't. At one point he had a 15 yard face mask then a false start the next play. Seems like the only one who could run behind the line was Shaud.

I'll just comment on the defense as a whole. The defense looked great, but one thing has me worried. Seems like everytime we would blitz the Colts would have an open man in the middle of the field, usually a TE. I think Gray will straighten that out during the season. Run defense couldn't be better. I love our depth at LB, Stamer, Haggan, and Crowell all had good games. Especially Haggan, he was all over the field. Our D looked like its in midseason form, as did our STs. Some players who were all over the field on defense- Ron Edwards, he has a motor. Blew up a screen pass, put pressure on the QB, and stuffed the run. I think he's going to be a monster. There's a DB I noticed that looked good IMO. Ogulesby? I'm pretty sure that's his name, I wasn't even aware he was on the roster, haven't heard about him in any TC reports, but he looked great. McGee made some nice breaks on the ball, but I have a feeling that break might get him killed a couple times if he times it wrong. Schobel was all over the field. He beat Tarik Glenn like a rented mule when he was in. I was pleasantly suprised. Kelsay was much improved, I think he's ready to be a Phil Hansen type player. Overall, I loved how our defense played. All the important parts of the D looked great, and even the backups kept that intensity up.

We still have the best STs in the league, amazing kick coverage, amazing punt coverage (blocked punt for a TD). Man, I love Bobby April.

Crisis
08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I almost forgot, Coy Wire SUCKS. He missed a tackle every chance he got, and seems like he was responsible for every wide open Colt. He is horrible. I liked him, but this guy has no pass coverage, and now cant even tackle anyone.

mysticsoto
08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
I almost forgot, Coy Wire SUCKS. He missed a tackle every chance he got, and seems like he was responsible for every wide open Colt. He is horrible. I liked him, but this guy has no pass coverage, and now cant even tackle anyone.
I completely agree and hope they give Jim Leonard a bigger opportunity so that they can evaluate whether he is ready to replace Coy. If he can show some decent play on STs, I think he has it. Already, his coverage skills appeared to be alot better. I was disappointed he didn't get the interception he almost had. That would probably have elevated his status.

Crisis
08-15-2005, 12:14 PM
I completely agree and hope they give Jim Leonard a bigger opportunity so that they can evaluate whether he is ready to replace Coy. If he can show some decent play on STs, I think he has it. Already, his coverage skills appeared to be alot better. I was disappointed he didn't get the interception he almost had. That would probably have elevated his status.
I agree. I'm really bummed about it because I was really high on Coy his rookie season. I guess the regime change really worked against him.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Good analysis. I think Drew Haddad looked good at WR, too. If he ever got a chance AND stayed healthy at the same time, he could be a good possession receiver and punt returner.

Oglesby from North Alabama is a good player, but we're so deep at corner - particularly with King playing so well - that the PS is probably his best hope.

I also thought Goldsberry looked good.

Crisis
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Good analysis. I think Drew Haddad looked good at WR, too. If he ever got a chance AND stayed healthy at the same time, he could be a good possession receiver and punt returner.

Oglesby from North Alabama is a good player, but we're so deep at corner - particularly with King playing so well - that the PS is probably his best hope.

I also thought Goldsberry looked good. I completely forgot about Haddad. I took a bunch of mental notes during the game and he was one, but I couldn't get near a computer. I don't think he has much of a chance returning punts. We're deep with returners. I think being in the league for 4 years already will work against him when it comes to him competing against younger guys though.

The only complaint I have with Goldsberry was his pass-blocking. He got eaten alive on it. He was solid catching the ball and lead-blocking for Shaud and Lee.

The last buffalo fan
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I completely forgot about Haddad. I took a bunch of mental notes during the game and he was one, but I couldn't get near a computer. I don't think he has much of a chance returning punts. We're deep with returners. I think being in the league for 4 years already will work against him when it comes to him competing against younger guys though.

The only complaint I have with Goldsberry was his pass-blocking. He got eaten alive on it. He was solid catching the ball and lead-blocking for Shaud and Lee.
Mi amigo, you don't know how important is your work, and the time you guys invest on these reports, for the outside people. PLEASE keep writing as much as you want, because we have to pay atention to the crap around the web, do not forget us compadre!!!:bf1:

Typ0
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
OK I'm a couple days late but thought I'd post my thoughts on the game and what I noticed.

JP. I thought he looked good. Physically, he's ready to be an NFL quarterback. I never realised what a cannon he had. He had some bad moments, but his receivers didn't help that much. Alot of dropped balls by Josh Reed and one by Fast Freddie. Not to mention penalties would get us into 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Overall I thought he was pretty good considering his situation.

For the RBs, Willis didn't impress much, but I'm not too worried about that. Shaud Williams stole the show IMO. He would've been that much better if he didn't have a couple big runs called back to stupid penalties. Travis who? He looks bulked up, has good speed, and hits the hole hard. I was really impressed. I was one of his biggest critics last year, but right now I'm comfortable with him backing up Willis. ReShard Lee was average at best, he had one nice run and the rest were nothing. I wasn't impressed with his speed. Lionel Gates was another pleasant suprise. He can go between the tackles and take it outside. After the game I see Shaud as the #2 back with Gates as the 3rd. I'm not big on Lee, I really don't like the idea of him returning kicks with McGee either.

For the WRs, Lee looked good. Moulds was solid, didn't see a lot of action. Evans was out there with Losman the whole time, and you can tell they've been working together alot. IMO Losman felt most comfortable throwing to Evans than anyone else, which also had its drawbacks because he tried to force some throws to him too. Sam Aiken was solid, Josh Reed had the dropsies, so did Fast Freddie. Nothing spectacular from the receiving core.

The TEs look healthy. That's all I can comment on them. Wasn't watching them too heavily.

The OL disappointed me. I think Gandy was solid (granted Freeney didn't play) but Bennie Anderson wasn't. At one point he had a 15 yard face mask then a false start the next play. Seems like the only one who could run behind the line was Shaud.

I'll just comment on the defense as a whole. The defense looked great, but one thing has me worried. Seems like everytime we would blitz the Colts would have an open man in the middle of the field, usually a TE. I think Gray will straighten that out during the season. Run defense couldn't be better. I love our depth at LB, Stamer, Haggan, and Crowell all had good games. Especially Haggan, he was all over the field. Our D looked like its in midseason form, as did our STs. Some players who were all over the field on defense- Ron Edwards, he has a motor. Blew up a screen pass, put pressure on the QB, and stuffed the run. I think he's going to be a monster. There's a DB I noticed that looked good IMO. Ogulesby? I'm pretty sure that's his name, I wasn't even aware he was on the roster, haven't heard about him in any TC reports, but he looked great. McGee made some nice breaks on the ball, but I have a feeling that break might get him killed a couple times if he times it wrong. Schobel was all over the field. He beat Tarik Glenn like a rented mule when he was in. I was pleasantly suprised. Kelsay was much improved, I think he's ready to be a Phil Hansen type player. Overall, I loved how our defense played. All the important parts of the D looked great, and even the backups kept that intensity up.

We still have the best STs in the league, amazing kick coverage, amazing punt coverage (blocked punt for a TD). Man, I love Bobby April.

nice post. I was also very pleased with Shoebel. He's been "solid" but it looks like he's worked hard to be a big part of this very good defense and might be ready to take it to the next level himself. This is VERY good news for the Bills as it's a huge bonus to get a big pass rusher. Wire has to go. I'm going to be very disappointed if his antics drag this defense down.