PDA

View Full Version : Art Wander: TURN DOWN SOUND AND ENJOY THE GAMES

LouGrant
08-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Look who followed us over! Welcome to the staff, Artie!!

Art Wander: TURN DOWN SOUND AND ENJOY THE GAMES

DON'T GET ME STARTED had me waiting for the NFL games to begin and now that a pair of exhibition games have already been played, the cotton balls are being purchased so the ears can be spared the attack on the drums by the talkmeisters.

That first NFL exhibition for 2002 is in the books. Please, don't call them pre-season games because they really aren't games. They are exhibitions or better yet auditions for players trying to make an impression. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue should consider abandoning that American Bowl stuff that force teams to travel halfway around the world to play a meaningless game. Naturally, Taggy got the freebie trip to Japan to see the game and witnessing many empty seats. The teams aren't necessarily excited about making such a long trip - just ask the 49ers.
...MORE... (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=8&nid=404)

Michael82
08-06-2002, 08:16 PM
I guess I'm not the only one who dislikes Madden. That was a horrible performance. Maybe i'll listen to the MNF via radio or internet. Or better yet...just mute it out! :D

Nice Job, Billszone! We grabbed ourselves a pretty damn good columnist! WOO HOO!

WNSA and Empire were just too stupid to realize! :rolleyes:

The_Philster
08-06-2002, 08:24 PM
As bad as Madden was, he wasn't nearly bad as he was on FOX

Shiny Chicken
08-06-2002, 08:30 PM
I've never understood the big deal about Madden either... he's never impressed me... and his speach at the HoF ceremonies... that was awful

The_Philster
08-06-2002, 08:36 PM
I liked his statement about seeing 100,000 fans....50,000 blue #12 jerseys though...but he has a tendency to ramble....senility has set in.

Shiny Chicken
08-06-2002, 08:39 PM
yeah, that was the only decent comment....

Michael82
08-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Agreed! Madden's speech was terrible. It wasn't even like a speech, it was like he was doing his announcing and it was just as bad! :lol:

Bufftp
08-06-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I liked his statement about seeing 100,000 fans....50,000 blue #12 jerseys though...but he has a tendency to ramble....senility has set in.
he has always rambled.:abe:

HenryRules
08-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Personally, I think Al Michaels is still the weak link in the booth though. He seems to be rather popular, but I can't stand the guy.

shawn
08-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Art Wander should be the last person in the world criticizing Madden's “constant chatter”. I wanted to take a shotgun to the radio whenever I heard Wander’s nonsensical ramblings.

Earthquake Enyart
08-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by shawn
Art Wander should be the last person in the world criticizing Madden's “constant chatter”. I wanted to take a shotgun to the radio whenever I heard Wander’s nonsensical ramblings. You know I agree. I hated his TV show. But for some odd reason, I like his columns.

BillsNYC
08-07-2002, 09:53 AM
we always used to muste bills games and put van milller on

WG
08-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Madden had appeal way back when he first started. He brought that screen-writer thing to the booth and explained things from a coaches perspective. But he's been out a little too long or something. He has nothing original left. He used to offer decent commentary on players or coaches, now he simply touts party-line and media high-profile gibberish.

I agree w/ Benjudah, his "speech" was terrible. At one point he made a comment about Casper and they showed Casper turning to whomever was on his left, Hampton I think, and it appeared that he was saying something like "WTH is Madden talking about..." Who knows, but there was a little smirk there between the two of them and the camera very quickly went away.

It's a real shame that Howard David won't be calling the games on the radio this year. That guy was king when it came to calling a game on the radio!

Madden will be in the booth two years tops! I'm willing to give him this season to see if he does anything original. But they have to quit showing him on TV. He looks like a poster boy for Avon cosmetics! I think if they put anymore cake-crap on his face they're gonna have to hose it down at halftime just to avoid the cracking!! It's gotten ridiculous. No one should need that much makeup to go on TV.

Except for Michael Jackson of course...

lordofgun
08-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Am I the only one who though Monday Night's broadcast was 50 times better than last year with Miller???

It was Michaels' and Madden's first time together. It might take them time to get the chemistry going, but I enjoyed it immensely compared to the dribble from the last 2 years.

Earthquake Enyart
08-07-2002, 01:35 PM
It's definately back to football. I agree with log. I just wish Madden would share more of his football knowledge with us, rather than BOOM, POW. But I think is is way better than last year.

The_Philster
08-07-2002, 03:30 PM
It might not be bad for him to share football knowledge with us, but how's about he refrains from explaining stuff you learn the first freakin' day? I'm tired of him acting as if every viewer doesn't know jack!

shawn
08-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

It's a real shame that Howard David won't be calling the games on the radio this year. That guy was king when it came to calling a game on the radio!

Howard David is great, he gets no respect.

Typ0
08-07-2002, 06:15 PM
I didn't get to see or listen to the game but there is no doubt in my mind the quality of the MNF broadcast is a hundred times better this year than it has been in years. Miller was an absolute disaster trying to push intellectual humor to football fans. We don't want to hear that garbage when it's time to watch football. Before him it was the allmighty Dierdorf who spent the whole time telling us how much individual players suck at what they do. When they get their acts together the ratings will get better it's an excellent time spot but the lousy broadcasts haved pushed away a lot of part-time fans.

BillC
08-07-2002, 07:12 PM
I wish Hannity and Combs could get in that booth....