X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Did anybody actually watch the game!!

Let me start by saying I am a big Bills Homer. With that said did anyone actually watch the Colts/Bills game?

First off, it was not Vanderjagt who missed the 27 yard field goal. It was somebody else trying to make the Colts team. Second, our defense did not look that good. We got great pressue with alot of blitzing, however Scorgi did a decent job of picking apart our first string secondary and recognizing when we had linebackers on recievers. Milloy was constantly late to the ball. Lawyer Milloy looked horrible in pass coverage and was reminiscent of a past Bill, Leonard Smith (Mr. Late Hit). Clements looked great. If we are going to Blitz like that all season plan on giving up alot of easy touchdowns in the secondary.

Now to the Offense. Mularky need not be that creative. Some simpler plays may help everybody. Gandy to me looked decent with the exception of the one holding penalty. As a whole the O-line did okay. Losman, who I really like, looked bad. Period. The dancing feet need to go and he looks panicked on every play, even when he runs. I am sorry to say this but unless Losman changes his running style he is going to get hurt and not play a full season. He's not Michael Vick. He should not be trying to make 20 yards everytime he scrambles.

Now to RB's. Mr Mystico, I agree Shauld Williams looked like he was shot out of a cannon, however he looked like a pinball when he got hit. His size is going to be a problem. Period. Lionel Gates should be the #2 back. He has size and speed and I think he could help punish Defenses after McGahee takes breaks. There was one play he was stuffed on but that was not his fault as the DL was in the backfield when he got the ball. The other play that he broke to the outside for 12 yards he had great acceleration and ran through a shoe string tackle.

Lastly, our TE's and receivers are not that good. If Losman is just going to throw to Evans all year long than Defenses will have double and triple coverage on him. They will be able to watch the film and figure this out. Roscoe getting hurt really sucks.

Look, I know it was one Preseason Game, but there is way too much homerism (not really a word) going on in some of the articles and posts. Watch the game again on the NFL Network and you will agree with me. Especially when you have the opportunity to rewind some of the stuff. FYI.
    Last edited by HHURRICANE; 08-16-2005, 09:47 AM.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Did anybody actually watch the game!!

use paragraphs please.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

You lost me when you said the defense didn't play that well. Come on, did you watch the game? I will say that the play of Losman has me concerned. And if he doesn't learn how to slide, which apparently he hasn't as he took another unecessary huge hit Sat. night, he won't make it through the season. I was pleased with almost all other aspects of the team.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        use paragraphs please.
        Better?

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
          My IQ Test results came back negative
          • Oct 2002

WAIT!!!! You start off by callin yourself a homer right? Then you start picking apart the bills in a game the WON? Do i have the wrong definition of the word homer?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            Second, our defense did not look that good.
            If we hold teams to negative rushing yards, we will win a LOT of games this season.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog
              You lost me when you said the defense didn't play that well. Come on, did you watch the game? I will say that the play of Losman has me concerned. And if he doesn't learn how to slide, which apparently he hasn't as he took another unecessary huge hit Sat. night, he won't make it through the season. I was pleased with almost all other aspects of the team.
              Colts had their second string O-line in against our first string D. We blitzed alot. They had a hard time running on us because we had so many players committed to the line of scrimmage. That left our secondary very vulnerable. And Scorgi got off some nice gains on our first string Defense. It was not Pennington or Vick back there. SCORGI. What happens when we are playing against Brady?
              Last edited by HHURRICANE; 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• footballhottie
                • Feb 2005

your very right about losman..hes going to rebreak that leg

The OG attention whore. 18 Billszone years strong

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Better?
                  yup, but our D was awsome
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Let me start by saying I am a big Bills Homer. With that said did anyone actually watch the Colts/Bills game?

First off, it was not Vanderjagt who missed the 27 yard field goal. It was somebody else trying to make the Colts team. Second, our defense did not look that good. We got great pressue with alot of blitzing, however Scorgi did a decent job of picking apart our first string secondary and recognizing when we had linebackers on recievers. Milloy was constantly late to the ball. Lawyer Milloy looked horrible in pass coverage and was reminiscent of a past Bill, Leonard Smith (Mr. Late Hit). Clements looked great. If we are going to Blitz like that all season plan on giving up alot of easy touchdowns in the secondary.
                    I taped this game and have watched it a few times. How you can say our defense did not look good is beyond me. Scorgi picked apart our 1st string secondary??? He got a few passes in. Keep in mind that we were constantly blitzing which means we were usually man to man coverage. The whole point was to test the secondary to begin with. And even when we had LBs on receivers...did you see when Fletcher kept up with the WR and defended a pass? Or when Haggan did it again later???

The last thing I expected to hear from this game was a criticism against the Defense!!!!

Now to the Offense. Mularky need not be that creative. Some simpler plays may help everybody. Gandy to me looked decent with the exception of the one holding penalty. As a whole the O-line did okay. Losman, who I really like, looked bad. Period. The dancing feet need to go and he looks panicked on every play, even when he runs. I am sorry to say this but unless Losman changes his running style he is going to get hurt and not play a full season. He's not Michael Vick. He should not be trying to make 20 yards everytime he scrambles.
                    Mularkey was brought in to be just that...creative. That's his specialty. Keep in mind also that this is a preseason game. This is where you experiment. Why should we just do the simple plays that Losman can already do. If that's all we do now, come the season, the teams will be ready to defend against that. Mularkey has to throw the kitchen sink in so teams don't know what to expect. That's why I loved the surprise ST play they did after after they got a penalty on a kickoff.

Atleast you acknowledge the Oline looked good, although they were playing backups...As for Losman, his happy feet as you call them is just his style. And keep in mind once again, that this was his 1st real game after being injured. He's bound to be a little nervous, erratic and even skittish at times. These will gradually reduce the more reps he gets out there.

Now to RB's. Mr Mystico, I agree Shauld Williams looked like he was shot out of a cannon, however he looked like a pinball when he got hit. His size is going to be a problem. Period. Lionel Gates should be the #2 back. He has size and speed and I think he could help punish Defenses after McGahee takes breaks. There was one play he was stuffed on but that was not his fault as the DL was in the backfield when he got the ball. The other play that he broke to the outside for 12 yards he had great acceleration and ran through a shoe string tackle.
                    This is how I felt by Freddie Smith. I think Shaud bulking up will mean he can take more, and right now, his speed and shiftyness add dimensions to his run game. Lionel Gates is not fast instantly and needs a hole to kick into the gear. I sincerely doubt he will become #2.

Lastly, our TE's and receivers are not that good. If Losman is just going to throw to Evans all year long than Defenses will have double and triple coverage on him. They will be able to watch the film and figure this out. Roscoe getting hurt really sucks.
                    ??? Do you know what happens when teams leave Moulds one on one? Go back to the games where they tried to do that when we had Peerless Price. The games where they doubled Price trying to stop him from scoring were monster games for Moulds. You have to double cover Moulds or he'll burn you! Even Bledsoe knew this and threw the ball to Moulds every time he was single covered. It's one of the reasons we got a speedster again.

Look, I know it was one Preseason Game, but there is way too much homerism (not really a word) going on in some of the articles and posts. Watch the game again on the NFL Network and you will agree with me. Especially when you have the opportunity to rewind some of the stuff. FYI.
                    I have the game taped and have watched it a few times. You have to keep in mind though, that some of the things we do in a preseason game, are NOT going to be the norm in a regular game. For example, JP will not be throwing half as much as he did in this game. We will be running a whole lot more which is the strength of our team! I predict we will blitz alot less too, but there could be games where we throw an all out blitz attack...especially if the team has a poor O-line and new QB (Miami here we come!!!)

I look forward to the game with GB to see them iron out some of the kinks and also, hopefully, to lower some of those penalty calls.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                      My IQ Test results came back negative
                      • Oct 2002

Good post mystic, I agree with you. Our defense is not gonna shut down the offense EVERY PLAY. Are you look for every quarterback never to complete a pass agasint us? Seriously HH dont be that guy who busts of our defnese when we win 31-3 and you start complaining bout our defense for giveing up that 50 yard drive to lead to the field goal! We won that all that matter. But it was preseason so it reall doesnt matter lol.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

It was not Pennington or Vick back there. SCORGI. What happens when we are playing against Brady?
                        It's Sorgi, BTW. Jim Sorgi. I actually think Sorgi will develop into a pretty good QB. Indy has brought him along a couple years now, and he has done a good job when I have seen him. Keeps his composure in the pocket, hits the open man, runs the offense efficiently. I'm not saying he is the 2nd coming of Manning, but I think he will have a Billy Volek- or Jake Delhomme-type impact if he ever gets a chance to play. The guy has ability.

Also, I think it is pretty dangerous to draw any big conclusions, one way or the other, from a preseason game. The Patriots were 1-3 in the preseason last year, including a 31-3 thumping at the hands of the Cincinnati Bengals. In the end, it didn't mean a whole lot. I wouldn't panic or get too high based on the pre-season.

As for Losman, I do think he has looked a little jittery at time. I only saw parts of the Indy game, along with the entire Green Bay scrimmage. I just thought Holcomb looked more composed and did a better job of running the offense.

However, it is his first preseason as a starting QB, and I imagine they are working on some things. The important thing isn't that he looks great right off the bat, but rather that he gets better each week.

IMO, people are doing an injustice by Losman by comparing his situation to the season Ben Rothlisberger had last year. Instead, I think the proper comparison is Carson Palmer in Cincy last year. Both guys were named starters early in the offseason despite the presence of experienced backups with starting experience. Both guys were in the second seasons, after not playing much (or at all) as rookies.

In that situation, Palmer struggled some early and there was some grumbling, with people calling for Kitna to play. In the end, the Bengals stuck with Palmer and he continued to improve to the point where he rewarded their faith in him by living up to his talent.

IMO, the Bills are in a similar situation. Losman may take his lumps some early on, but if the team is patient with him and he continues to improve (and there is no indication Mularkey is going to lift him if he struggles), by the end of the season he will have emerged as the franchise QB on an up-and-coming team. That is the best scenario for Buffalo, IMO.

The worst thing that can happen is for Losman to be pulled the first time he struggles. That can destroy a young QBs confidence. The Bills made a decision to make Losman their starter and stuck with him all offseason. They are committed to him at this point, so worry less about how he looks now and more about how much he improves game-to-game.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                          However, it is his first preseason as a starting QB, and I imagine they are working on some things. The important thing isn't that he looks great right off the bat, but rather that he gets better each week.

IMO, people are doing an injustice by Losman by comparing his situation to the season Ben Rothlisberger had last year. Instead, I think the proper comparison is Carson Palmer in Cincy last year. Both guys were named starters early in the offseason despite the presence of experienced backups with starting experience. Both guys were in the second seasons, after not playing much (or at all) as rookies.

In that situation, Palmer struggled some early and there was some grumbling, with people calling for Kitna to play. In the end, the Bengals stuck with Palmer and he continued to improve to the point where he rewarded their faith in him by living up to his talent.

IMO, the Bills are in a similar situation. Losman may take his lumps some early on, but if the team is patient with him and he continues to improve (and there is no indication Mularkey is going to lift him if he struggles), by the end of the season he will have emerged as the franchise QB on an up-and-coming team. That is the best scenario for Buffalo, IMO.

The worst thing that can happen is for Losman to be pulled the first time he struggles. That can destroy a young QBs confidence. The Bills made a decision to make Losman their starter and stuck with him all offseason. They are committed to him at this point, so worry less about how he looks now and more about how much he improves game-to-game.
                          I agree. Expect Losman to have happy feet for at least the first month of the season. Once he gets some experience, hopefully things start slowing down for him and he can improve.

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

I saw Losman have "happy feet" in the pocket one or two times. The rest were designed for him to get out of the pocket.

I mentioned the defense getting beat up in the secondary sometimes. But they kept them out of the endzone and field goal range. That's all that matters.

Oh, and big deal that it wasn't Vanderjerk that missed that kick. Losman fumbled because of the 2nd/3rd string OL being in. The defense held inside the 10 yard line. What more can you ask for.
                            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                            Vanek is Austrian not European
                            Originally posted by Prov401
                            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                            Originally posted by better days
                            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Now to RB's. Mr Mystico, I agree Shauld Williams looked like he was shot out of a cannon, however he looked like a pinball when he got hit. His size is going to be a problem. Period.
                              I am guessing that you were not a big Barry Sanders fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X