PDA

View Full Version : 3rd receiver

finsrclowns
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
I've known for 2 years that Josh Reed was a Mount Rushmore sized bust, but it seems the Bills want him off the field badly. The drafting of Roscoe Parrish in the 2nd round when it could be argued that OL or DL was a greater priority was the first indicator. But now with Parrish hurt Reed is being pushed for the 3rd receiver spot by Drew Haddad. Doesn't Haddad know Reed is a former Biletnikoff winner? :lmao:

From Bills Daily:

Third Receiver Open: The coach told the media that the third receiver slot is wide open now that Roscoe Parrish is out at least into the season. The coach said the team needs to get better at that position to help third down conversions improve. Drew Haddad will be seeing his reps going up after a strong performance against the Colts. He has shown some worth as an inside slot receiver according to the coach. Josh Reed is also in the mix and will get his opportunity but it doesn't appear to be his job to lose.

The King
08-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I just dont think Hadaad has the toughness to go over the middle on a regular basis. Josh Reed does have nice size for a slot guy. Even with a healthy Parrish I imagine Reed will still be inbetween the hash marks frequently. The Bills will give him this season to try to make something happen if not though you're right he will be up on Mount Suckmore right next to Erik Flowers and Cris Watson.

Crisis
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Haddad is a 4th/5th receiver type at best IMO. Although I wouldn't mind being wrong about that.

It's good to have some local kids on the team though. I just don't see him as a #3.

Meathead
08-16-2005, 11:44 AM
My prediction that a healthy Reed would rebound strongly looks like it's on life support right now.

He still has the best credentials of anybody left but that will mean nothing if he doesn't make a strong move right now. He's got to have some pretty spectacular games in the next two.

bigbub2352
08-16-2005, 11:47 AM
what about sam aiken or george wilson, drew haddad already proved he can not do anything in the pros hence cut by us and the colts, i agree he would be a solid num 5 receiver but sam and george have size and potential especially george wilson, very good hands and good special teamer, or maybe even watch the cuts and pick up a veteran

mysticsoto
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
what about sam aiken or george wilson, drew haddad already proved he can not do anything in the pros hence cut by us and the colts, i agree he would be a solid num 5 receiver but sam and george have size and potential especially george wilson, very good hands and good special teamer, or maybe even watch the cuts and pick up a veteran
I love Wilson and hope we keep him...he is tough enough to play Special Teams (in on a 1st tackle of the returner in one play of the preseason), had good hands and has decent height/size (Evans-like). I don't know how fast he is, but he definitely has good hands and his toughness could add to his ability to play the slot if need be...

bigbub2352
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
he is bigger than evans but not as fast, also i think it helps he was in the nfl last year too not as raw ps for us last year

Crisis
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
he is bigger than evans but not as fast, also i think it helps he was in the nfl last year too not as raw ps for us last year
He's been in the NFL for like 3 years already. He was with the Colts for two years I believe.

Mike13
08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
My prediction that a healthy Reed would rebound strongly looks like it's on life support right now.

He still has the best credentials of anybody left but that will mean nothing if he doesn't make a strong move right now. He's got to have some pretty spectacular games in the next two.
Yeah he is proabaly going to be the 3rd wide out for you guys, assuming he can prove himself. Like you said credentials dont mean **** unless you don't make plays.

pleasesavedrew
08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Why is everyone forgeting about Freddie Smith, i think this guy shoul definetly make the team. Great special teamer, he should be running back punts this season till roscoe plays.

pleasesavedrew
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
He's been in the NFL for like 3 years already. He was with the Colts for two years I believe.
He was drafted by the 2000 Buffalo Bills, so hes been bouncing around for 5 seasons and this is his sixth season.

finsrclowns
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I just dont think Hadaad has the toughness to go over the middle on a regular basis. Josh Reed does have nice size for a slot guy. Even with a healthy Parrish I imagine Reed will still be inbetween the hash marks frequently. The Bills will give him this season to try to make something happen if not though you're right he will be up on Mount Suckmore right next to Erik Flowers and Cris Watson.

Reed is short and slow. Parrish is even shorter but fast. Given the choice, the fast guy plays. Aiken is tall and slow. Given the choice there, the tall guy plays. Haddad is short and light but he still might play over Reed. :sorry:

Jan Reimers
08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Haddad is a good receiver and punt returner who has been the victim of injuries, bad timing and numbers. It seems that whenever he is about to get a real chance to play, he gets hurt. At other times he performs well, but their are just too many bigger names - and bigger guys - ahead of him.

If the guy ever gets a real opportunity, he just might produce.

wchutalkinboutwillis
08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Right now, I think Hadaad and Aiken have the edge over Reed. Reed had a horrible drop against the Colts in the 1st qrtr. If he would've caught that ball, a lot of the negativity towards Losman would've gone quiet. That catch would have been a first down and a huge momentum booster for JP and the Offense. I just don't think Reed has what it takes. Aiken and Haadad may lack speed and size but I think they like their chances of beating out Drop Reed. The biggest (and it's big) thing Reed has going for him is that TD drafted him in the 2nd round. TD's ego makes it tough to let his own guys go. TD, what's more important? Your job or your ego? Both are on the line this year.

Hammertime
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
$20 says Reed has a big game against the Packers this weekend. takers?

HHURRICANE
08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm not a big Haddad fan but he played well against the Colts. Very tough like a Cherbet. Reed stinks. We should cut bait. TD knows more than we do. Everyone was whinning when we drafted Parish and now I feel like were dead without him.

STAMPY
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Make Aiken our slot guy!

finsrclowns
08-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Make Aiken our slot guy!

I agree at least until Parrish returns. Then I'd go with the smurf.

Konyeezie
08-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately the only thing Haddad does is take advantage of his very limited time on the field by making plays.

oh wait... isn't that a WR's job?

If Haddad is finally given a fair shake, I like his chances.

Tinboy
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Go for Aiken, he's my top choice until Parrish returns.

ryjam282
08-17-2005, 05:26 AM
I tell ya, it is a shame what has happened to Josh Reed. If you told me after his senior season at LSU that we would have him and he would be totally sucking it up I would have thought you were high on something. He was such a good WR then. And it's not even that he isn't able to grasp the pro game, he is open a lot, but just can't catch the damn thing. It sure is a shame cause he had a boat load of talent in college.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-17-2005, 07:15 AM
I tell ya, it is a shame what has happened to Josh Reed. If you told me after his senior season at LSU that we would have him and he would be totally sucking it up I would have thought you were high on something. He was such a good WR then. And it's not even that he isn't able to grasp the pro game, he is open a lot, but just can't catch the damn thing. It sure is a shame cause he had a boat load of talent in college.
You took the words out of my mouth! I can't believe what has happened to Reed--I saw him in a couple of games where he had double figures in catches and was making circus catches all over the place....

But, that was then and this is now. And, now he is in the NFL--which as we all know, thanks to Jerry Glanville--does mean "Not For Long" if you don't produce and Josh Reed simply hasn't been able to get the job done on game day.

At this point, I would have to say that it is time to see what some of the other guys, like Haddad can do, and, if they produce and Reed doesn't catch every ball that is thrown his way in the the remaining preseason games, it may be time to let Reed go.

With Aiken more or less serving as Moulds' back-up, I doubt that he would be the first choice to work out of the slot, but Haddad earned at shot with the way that he played in Indy and Freddy Smith and George Wilson deserve to get some more reps to show what they can do. Ideally, you'd like Reed to step up and seize the job because he would make a good complement to Parrish, but, if one of these other WRs outplays him in the remaining preseason games, you've got to go with the guy who is getting the job done. And, regardless of who it is, it really doesn't matter if, under most circumstances, he would be a 4th or 5th guy--when he's healthy, Parrish has already shown that he is going to be the # 3 man and the reason that you have 4th and 5th guys is to have them step up and do the job if someone in front of them goes down.

If a team like the Cardinals can cut a 1st Round draft pick like W.Bryant and a Heisman Trophy winner, like J.White, can be unemployed, then, there is no reason that the Bills can't cut a 2nd Round draft pick/Bilentnikoff Award winner like Josh Reed if he is able to get the job done on game day. This is the NFL and the only thing that should matter is whether a player is getting the job done or not.

mysticsoto
08-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Haddad and Wilson might just begin to get more time now...I'm not big on keeping Fast Freddie just to return kickoffs. We have plenty of others that can fill the role, and Freddie has been too inconsistent when the ball is thrown at him. We need sure hands!!!

On the Rebound: The offense looked better at today's practice in comparison to last night's performance. Highlights included an impressive catch by Drew Haddad while being blanketed by Jabari Greer and a diving catch made by George Wilson on a throw from quarterback J.P. Losman, which drew cheers from players and coaches alike.

The two receivers have been impressive at times in their quest to crack the team's depth chart at the position.
"The plan is to get [the receivers] in a constant rotation, so they're all in with the one's, the two's, with different quarterbacks [so we can] give them all an equal opportunity." Mularkey said about giving the receivers chances to show their abilities at camp.

Wilson, a 2004 undrafted free agent out of Arkansas, has caught nearly everything thrown his way thus far at camp. Haddad, a seventh-round pick of the Bills in 2000 has done the same in his quest to stick on an NFL roster.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3316

Jan Reimers
08-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Unfortunately the only thing Haddad does is take advantage of his very limited time on the field by making plays.

oh wait... isn't that a WR's job?

If Haddad is finally given a fair shake, I like his chances.
Man, I agree and have said so many times. If healthy and given a chance, he could be very productive.

casdhf
08-17-2005, 07:54 AM
I still think Josh Reed was a steal where we picked him, too bad he sucked.

Tatonka
08-17-2005, 08:13 AM
what irritates me even more than the fact that reed was so good in college is that reed showed a TON of promise in his rookie year! he was catching passes and doing well.. i really thought he was ready to be a number 2.. then moulds got hurt.. and it was all on reed and shaw, and he just responded horribly.. and has never been the same since.

i will always root for josh reed.. but at this point.. haddad has outplayed him.

freddie smith has shown me nothing except one kick return last year.. i really dont care at all if he is cut or not.

Kerr
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
It's all Drew Bledsoe's fault that Josh Reed sucks. :D

Bert102176
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Reed will do good, IF he can CATCH and hold on to the ball

Bert102176
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
and Fast Freddie is nothing special he should by all rights be cut

Crisis
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
what irritates me even more than the fact that reed was so good in college is that reed showed a TON of promise in his rookie year! he was catching passes and doing well.. i really thought he was ready to be a number 2.. then moulds got hurt.. and it was all on reed and shaw, and he just responded horribly.. and has never been the same since.

i will always root for josh reed.. but at this point.. haddad has outplayed him.

freddie smith has shown me nothing except one kick return last year.. i really dont care at all if he is cut or not.
Actually Fast Freddie had two nice punt returns last year and has some key 1st-downs on trick plays last year.

eee1776
08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Its almost like Josh reed has caught that baseball disease where all of a sudden a guy cannot throw from second base to first. Except for some mental reason he cannot catch a football..maybe a shrink can help him out. You know he has to be thinking it everytime a ball comes his way.