PDA

View Full Version : IS GOLISANO...

SABURZFAN
08-17-2005, 05:43 PM
the next john y brown?

chernobylwraiths
08-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I here he is going to run for Governor again. This time as a Republican.

SABURZFAN
08-19-2005, 02:13 AM
I here he is going to run for Governor again. This time as a Republican.

i could care less.the Spin Zone is in another area of this board.i'm just wondering if golisano's penny-pinching ways are going to lead to another Buffalo Braves incident.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-19-2005, 06:26 AM
The way the team is entering this "new" NHL era, I am really thinking they won't be in Buffalo in five years.

Dozerdog
08-19-2005, 10:12 PM
i could care less.the Spin Zone is in another area of this board.i'm just wondering if golisano's penny-pinching ways are going to lead to another Buffalo Braves incident.

Don't be ******ed.

John Y Brown wasn't from the region and only got the team after screwing up the Celtics. He was clueless. And a carpetbagger- he never intended on building a Buffalo winner.

Golisano will be spending about 28 million on a team filled with young talent. Wait untill we see what every team spends. If the Sabres come in around mid pack ( somewhere between 15-20th in the league) I can't see where the basis of this is.

If the Sabres are in the bottom five in team salary- then break out the cheese and enjoy the whine.

BuffaloRanger
08-20-2005, 12:13 AM
I thought TG's interest in the Sabres was motivated by something other than his love of hockey in Buffalo. He knew nothing about Hockey when he bought them. It was either to make money or become more visible (get votes) for his second run at gov. What's the definition of carpetbagger again?

Can you honestly say TG is looking to build a winner in Buffalo judging from this offseason? Crossing your fingers and hoping young (AKA cheap) talent blossums is not "building a winner."

I think Dozer secretly works for TG.

Dozerdog
08-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Golisano just got the team - he's had it what- one season?

I guess he's just got to spend every penny up to the cap before the season starts to be considered serious in everyone's eyes. The concept of paying out whaty you bring in is lost. The whole thing is supposed to be Billionaire welfare.

Let's just put every frigghin' post in this forum on a loop.

Golisano is cheap, Darcy is inept...Ruff sucks, and all the Sabres success in the past decade was a fluke with Hasek.......Golisano is cheap, Darcy is inept...Ruff sucks, and all the Sabres success in the past decade was a fluke with Hasek.......Golisano is cheap, Darcy is inept...Ruff sucks, and all the Sabres success in the past decade was a fluke with Hasek.......Golisano is cheap, Darcy is inept...Ruff sucks, and all the Sabres success in the past decade was a fluke with Hasek.......Golisano is cheap, Darcy is inept...Ruff sucks, and all the Sabres success in the past decade was a fluke with Hasek.......

Dozerdog
08-20-2005, 12:24 AM
No- i'm just not a whiner every time a Buffalo team decides to build within instead of buying their way to the top with flashy signings.

Turf
08-20-2005, 07:45 AM
I thought TG's interest in the Sabres was motivated by something other than his love of hockey in Buffalo. He knew nothing about Hockey when he bought them. It was either to make money or become more visible (get votes) for his second run at gov. What's the definition of carpetbagger again?

Can you honestly say TG is looking to build a winner in Buffalo judging from this offseason? Crossing your fingers and hoping young (AKA cheap) talent blossums is not "building a winner."

I don't think TG understands the sport yet. And unfortunately, his right hand man Quinn is questionable at being his mentor.

SABURZFAN
08-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Don't be ******ed.

Golisano will be spending about 28 million on a team filled with young talent. Wait untill we see what every team spends. If the Sabres come in around mid pack ( somewhere between 15-20th in the league) I can't see where the basis of this is.

If the Sabres are in the bottom five in team salary- then break out the cheese and enjoy the whine.

Dozer,i agree that we have a team of young talented players.add a couple of team needs,pump the the cap to about $34 million,and i think we're in the playoffs.

I guess he's just got to spend every penny up to the cap before the season starts to be considered serious in everyone's eyes.

it's usually nice to have about $5 million before the trade deadline.

BuffaloRanger
08-20-2005, 06:53 PM
No- i'm just not a whiner every time a Buffalo team decides to build within instead of buying their way to the top with flashy signings.

Buying their way to the top? How about buying their way into the playoffs first?

When they finish in 11th you can console yourself with the fact that at least they built from within.

Seriously how are Sabres building from within?
Bartovic and his 28 pts in Rochester? Paille and his 29 points?

Built from within = Vanekand maybe Pominvile. That's it. Very encouraging.

BuffaloRanger
08-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Golisano just got the team - he's had it what- one season?

I guess he's just got to spend every penny up to the cap before the season starts to be considered serious in everyone's eyes. The concept of paying out whaty you bring in is lost. The whole thing is supposed to be Billionaire welfare.

Nobody is saying they have to spend every penny under the cap. Nobody has said that. Stop making things up to support your arguments. Most fans here wanted 34 mil.

For seasons the Sabres have whined about cost certainty. That is a fact. When they got the cap they proceeded to cut 7 mil in salary (Satan and Z) and added all of 2 mil in Numinem.

OK what happens when the sabres don't make the playoffs this season and lose 4 mil? Where is your concept of paying out what you bring in then? I guess the Sabres will have to cut 4 mil in team salary next season right? I mean isn't that what your theory dictates?

I look at the Sabres like I do a forclosed house. Unless you put in money to renovate it, it's value (team worth and team record) will not improve.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Sorry, I usually agree with Doz, but not here. The Sabres didn't have to sign Peter Forsberg or Paul Kariya. But the fact that their name came up in no rumors or that they even looked at any free agents is what the media tells the fans, which was zero. You don't have to sell the game to the die hard fan that will go to hockey no matter what. You have to sell it to the average Joe sports fan in Buffalo. Just sitting there and doing nothing in the new small market viable NHL is a huge mistake. I can't see the Sabres making the playoffs this year and their attendance will be horrible. I know that they are saying that they are going to be "economically conscience" this year because the free agent pool next year will be great but you need to sell tickets this year too. I have said it before and I will say it again, I will wait until next year to buy tickets. Now I don't really hold Regier responsible. I am sure that when he said the Sabres will be in the market for a puck rushing defensman, he didn't expect NHL GMs to be as dumb as they were before the lockout and pay out stupid salaries. This will take a few years to figure out the cap, but some of the salaries paid out are ridiculous.

The Sabres aren't going to go over the $28.6 million threshold in order to get part of the revenue sharing. They will never hit $34 million because then they will have to pay out revenue sharing. The cap for the Sabres will always be 28.6 million.

BuffaloRanger
08-20-2005, 07:27 PM
34 mil will not cause them to pay out revenue. That wouldn't even put them in the top 10.

The sabres have done nothing to excite fans. If Darcy can pull off a trade in the next month (Wade Redden) and fix their goalie situation that will at least be something.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
34 mil will not cause them to pay out revenue. That wouldn't even put them in the top 10.

The sabres have done nothing to excite fans. If Darcy can pull off a trade in the next month (Wade Redden) and fix their goalie situation that will at least be something.

What???
The salary cap for revenue sharing teams in 28.6. If you go over that you do not get revenue sharing.

Turf
08-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm glad the main concern of the organEYEzation is to get their piece of pie of the revenue sharing.
Point made, case closed. This management team isn't trying to win.

buffalofan19
08-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Here is one thing that people fail to look at: the Sabres are still in debt. When Golisano purchased the team, he incurred several million dollars of debt which he didn't pay off all in one heap. Business just doesn't work that way. He is trying to make this team profitable, but it still has a huge deficit he has to start from. He probably needs to lessen payroll in order for this to work. As a fan, I hate it because I want the Sabres to be a contender, but this "plan" just might actually save the Sabres' existence here in Buffalo.

Turf
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Tom's got so much goddman money he can throw 10 million at his toy. If he likes the team, he'll spend the money.

Typ0
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
so many crappy attitudes here..."TG has the cash to waste on the team". You guys need to wake up to reality...and there is another reality looming as well. Buying a couple high priced players while it may excite the fans initially is NOT a ticket to the playoffs. What is going to excite the fans is if this team can get some wins it doesn't matter who is on the ice. Some of you people are disgustingly short sighted saying throw some good money after a couple players and waste it on a team that is too young to get to the finals anyway. Despite the revenue sharing this still isn't a big market team and what we can hope for is we can get better through the draft and then get the player or two that puts us over the edge to make a run...and if this young group of players plays well the right players to get us where we want to be will come along. Businesses toss good money after bad and go in the toilet all the time...let's not see it happen with the sabres. Right now, patience is going to make us good sabres fans not stupidity.

chernobylwraiths
08-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Tom's got so much goddman money he can throw 10 million at his toy. If he likes the team, he'll spend the money.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Sure he has a lot of money, but I never saw that as part of the issue. I also would like to know more about this debt that Golisano got when he bought the team. I thought since the team was in bankruptcy, the money Golisano used to buy the team went to pay off the creditors. I thought part of the process in buying the team was satisfying all of those debts and now he is on even footing. Please give me some links if I am in error on this.

But back to the original statement, I don't think he should have to throw some of his money at the problem, the Rangers did that and it didn't work out. But, he should show that he is trying to get the team better and signing a guy would placate the fans in many ways.

Sabre Ally
08-21-2005, 11:05 AM
signing a guy would placate the fans in many ways.

It didn't have to be a marquee player, either. I would have been happy with Ray Whitney.

chernobylwraiths
08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
It didn't have to be a marquee player, either. I would have been happy with Ray Whitney.

Exactly. Hey, I want to build a winner with young players too, but you need to have fans interested in coming back. That comes with making them feel they are trying to do something now.

It will be great that they are being frugal and allowing the young kids to learn. It will be great that they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket by overpaying for old guys who can't play anymore. It will be great, for another city because if you don't make the fans happy and if you don't win now, they won't come. There aren't a lot of people that are going to be happy waiting for them to get good three years from now.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-21-2005, 12:17 PM
so many crappy attitudes here...

Are you kidding me? Crappy attitudes. This league had to cancel a season because of their greed and "crappy attitudes". This is BS. This league needs to do a lot of kissing up. The organization that people follow around here have not made the playoffs in 5 years, had an owner who stole from his company and lost us a waterfront office/employer, dumped their best defenseman, lost their highest scoring forward, said they were going to get a offensive defenseman, and they have done nothing. Crappy attitude? I think people have been pretty soft on their crappy attitudes or they still could care less hockey is back.

BuffaloRanger
08-21-2005, 01:27 PM
But back to the original statement, I don't think he should have to throw some of his money at the problem, the Rangers did that and it didn't work out. But, he should show that he is trying to get the team better and signing a guy would placate the fans in many ways.

The Rangers are the example everyone one holds up and says "See! Big money doesn't mean playoffs!"

Big money spent WISELY does mean success. Just look at the Avs, Red Wings, Flyers, Devils, Leafs, Blues, etc. They have consistently made the playoffs and challenged for the cup. It's a much easier way to build a winner.

If fans have no faith that Darcy could build a playoff team with a less restrictive salary cap then he should be fired. Because anyone can do what he's doing.

BuffaloRanger
08-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I like you Type0. I met you at the draft party. But I respectfully disagree.

so many crappy attitudes here..."TG has the cash to waste on the team". You guys need to wake up to reality...and there is another reality looming as well.

No. TG just has milions and millions to waste on multiple unsuccessful runs at governor.

Buying a couple high priced players while it may excite the fans initially is NOT a ticket to the playoffs. What is going to excite the fans is if this team can get some wins it doesn't matter who is on the ice. Some of you people are disgustingly short sighted saying throw some good money after a couple players and waste it on a team that is too young to get to the finals anyway.

Nobody is saying throw good money after aging players with heart problems. Oh wait, that's already happened.

There were quality defensmen - young, all-star defensemen, available. There were plenty of quality forwards that could have added veteran leadership and scored more than 20 goals. (would make them at least 2nd in team scoring). Adding a high priced player and accepting the riskthat he might not work out is alot better than needing every prospect to play well and every role player to suddenly have a career year just to be competetive.

Despite the revenue sharing this still isn't a big market team and what we can hope for is we can get better through the draft and then get the player or two that puts us over the edge to make a run...and if this young group of players plays well the right players to get us where we want to be will come along. Businesses toss good money after bad and go in the toilet all the time...let's not see it happen with the sabres. Right now, patience is going to make us good sabres fans not stupidity.

This isn't football. Teams draft 18 year olds that take 3 or 4 years to develop. If they aren't already in the system, help isn't arriving soon. The Sabres have zero history of developing draft picks. Have they added a "Jim McNally type guy" to mold these young players? No.

This isn't field of dreams. "If the young ones develop, the right players will come."

A team full of role players develops more role players. Wouldn't it be nice to have the right players now, that could help help mentor and develop these young players, and already be in place when the Sabres get good enough to make a playoff run?

Or the Sabres could just wait 2 more non-playoff years, decide the prospects aren't developing fast enough, and then go out and bring in some real, proven talent.

SABURZFAN
08-21-2005, 02:13 PM

a veteran forward is something that this team needs.this guy wouldn't break the bank either.

BuffaloRanger
08-21-2005, 02:20 PM
What???
The salary cap for revenue sharing teams in 28.6. If you go over that you do not get revenue sharing.

I know the Sabres like to use the 28.6 mil number for revenue sharing.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/

REVENUE SHARING

What Clubs will be eligible for revenue-sharing subsidies?

All Clubs that: (1) are ranked in the bottom half (bottom 15) in League revenues, and (2) operate in markets with a Demographic Market Area of 2.5 million or fewer TV households.

So according to this, the Sabres are saying that 15 teams will be under 28.6 mil? I find that hard to believe. I think it will be more like 33 mil. Regardless of the number, has there been 15 teams that have had a a quieter offseason then the Sabres? No way. The few teams that have not made alot of moves did so because they were too close to the 39 mil cap. The other teams that are also looking to get this charity are still looking to improve by adding players.

Dozerdog
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I know the Sabres like to use the 28.6 mil number for revenue sharing.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/

REVENUE SHARING

What Clubs will be eligible for revenue-sharing subsidies?

All Clubs that: (1) are ranked in the bottom half (bottom 15) in League revenues, and (2) operate in markets with a Demographic Market Area of 2.5 million or fewer TV households.

So according to this, the Sabres are saying that 15 teams will be under 28.6 mil? I find that hard to believe. I think it will be more like 33 mil. Regardless of the number, has there been 15 teams that have had a a quieter offseason then the Sabres? No way. The few teams that have not made alot of moves did so because they were too close to the 39 mil cap. The other teams that are also looking to get this charity are still looking to improve by adding players.
Revenues (Ticket sales, Local TV & radio money, Luxury box sales, naming rights, ect...)- The Sabres will probably fall well below this revenue benchmark and will qualify for NHL welfare.

It has nothing to do with team payroll. If anything, I'll bet that the Sabres payroll total will be a heck of a lot higher than alot of teams in their revenue "neighborhood"

DMA- Buffalo's DMA has 650,000 TV HH's . ...46th in the USA. (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/metered_markets.html)

I beleive that only Edmonton, maybe Calgary have smaller TV markets than Buffalo.

SABURZFAN
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Revenues (Ticket sales, Local TV & radio money, Luxury box sales, naming rights, ect...)- The Sabres will probably fall well below this revenue benchmark and will qualify for NHL welfare.

It has nothing to do with team payroll. If anything, I'll bet that the Sabres payroll total will be a heck of a lot higher than alot of teams in their revenue "neighborhood"

DMA- Buffalo's DMA has 650,000 TV HH's . ...46th in the USA. (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/metered_markets.html)

I beleive that only Edmonton, maybe Calgary have smaller TV markets than Buffalo.

yeah...but edmonton and calgary re-signed a couple people and went out and got a couple people as well.they didn't sit around,with a thumb in their ass,and cheap it up.a couple more veterans could be used to add leadership for our younger players.i still think we get in the playoffs if that were done.

Dozerdog
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
LOL--- Golisano sucks!

Of course when Ralph flipped his lid for a week- he was the next savior of the Bills. :cynic: