PDA

View Full Version : Who to Watch- Tostitos Fiesta Bowl — Jan. 3 Miami (Fla.) vs Ohio State

MelK
12-31-2002, 11:56 PM
Top 200 Ranked seniors

*** Maurice Clarrett* ** Freshman who may bolt after this game. Upset with Ohio State for not allowing him to attend a funeral

5-Mike Doss/S/Ohio State
51-Matt Wilhelm/ILB/Ohio State
90-Cie Grant/S/Ohio State
159-Kenny Peterson/DE/Ohio State

6-William Joseph/DT/Miami, Fl
10-Jerome McDougle/DE/Miami, Fl
42-Brett Romberg/C/Miami, Fl
63-Sherko Haji-Rasouli/OG/Miami, Fl
122-Jamaal Green/DE/Miami, Fl
147-Ken Dorsey/QB/Miami, Fl
158-Cornelius Green/DE/Miami, Fl
185-Andrew Williams/DE/Miami, Fl
190-Matt Walters/DT/Miami, Fl

From the top 200 Senior prospects listed by NFL Draft Blitz (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/top200seniors.htm)

DraftBoy
01-01-2003, 11:51 AM
I heard transfer not Draft but who knows

MelK
01-01-2003, 01:55 PM
I really doubt Clarett will transfer. He would be required to sit out one season before playing. If he declared, he would probably be a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. If he swallowed his pride and returned to OSU, he would definatly be a #1 pick in the 2004 draft. Sitting out a year will only cost him $$$ in the long run.

A big day tomorrow and my guess is he's gone.

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Mike Doss/S/Ohio State (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srsprofiles.htm)

(5-11, 204, estimated 4.46 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 12 games, 87 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 3 interceptions, 4 passes broken up, 4 fumble recoveries /// 2 punt returns, 12.5-yard punt return average, 0 punt return touchdowns

Positives: Is a very good athlete for a safety. Is a tough, physical player that likes to play up towards the line of scrimmage. Possesses outstanding football instincts. Generally functions very well when in coverage. Has excellent leadership skills.

Negatives: Does not have ideal height for a safety, probably is closer to 5-10 rather than the 5-11 he is listed at. Has not had a great senior season to this point in time.

Overall analysis: After almost turning pro after his junior year, Doss decided to return to Ohio State for his senior season. Through his first three years at Ohio State, Doss has made a huge impact and has been a big-time playmaker. Whether it is making a big tackle behind the line of scrimmage or making a game-changing interception, when a big play has been made by the Ohio State defense it has been Doss making the play more times than not. The thing that has to be Doss’ most impressive trait are his football instincts, he always seems to be around the ball and has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. However, at this point in time, Doss has not played as well as a senior as he has in his previous seasons. Also, his lack of ideal safety height could limit his draft stock as well. But when all is said and done, Doss is likely the best senior safety in the country and on draft day he should be a late first round pick or a very early second round selection.

Nfl draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Cie Grant/S/Ohio State (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srsprofiles.htm)

Cie Grant-Ohio State

(6-1, 220, estimated 4.55 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 12 games, 56 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 3 interceptions, 5 passes broken up, 1 fumble recovery

Positives: Has great size for a safety and has great playing strength on the football field. Is a versatile player who has contributed at linebacker, cornerback and safety during his career at Ohio State. Really has come on like gangbusters as a senior.

Negatives: Doesn’t have much experience as a safety. Even though he has played cornerback, he seems more comfortable up around the line of scrimmage rather than back in coverage. Would be somewhat of a project player.

Overall analysis: Grant has one of the more interesting backgrounds of any player eligible for the 2003 NFL draft. He started his Ohio State career as a safety, but since Ohio State already had a couple of very good safeties, Grant was shifted to the linebacker position. However, wanting to see more game action, Grant asked to be shifted to cornerback prior to his junior season. He eventually earned a starting position and more than held his own during the 10 contests he started as a cornerback. Before his senior season Grant was moved back to linebacker and has been a true terror on the field for the Buckeyes. Grant is a big and physical player who is excellent at the line of scrimmage and, considering his experience as a cornerback, has great upside to become an effective player in coverage as well. Safety looks to be his best position in the NFL, but considering his lack of game experience in that role, Grant would represent a risk to the team drafting him. However, with the way he has played as a senior, I feel Grant is a risk worth taking and currently have him near the top of my under-rated list. Right now Grant is grading out as a late round possibility, but I feel he should be in the third or fourth round area.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Matt Wilhelm/ILB/Ohio State (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srilbprofiles.htm)

(6-5, 245, estimated 4.75 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 63 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

Positives: Has a good size/speed combination for a linebacker. Shows good range on the football field and will deliver the big hit. Loves the game and will play when he is hurt.

Negatives: Is sometimes over aggressive and will run himself out of plays. In many games he is not as productive as he should be. Had reconstructive ankle surgery prior to the 2002 season and must show that he is fully healthy.

Overall analysis: Wilhelm stepped into the starting lineup as a sophomore and has been a solid middle linebacker ever since. As a sophomore Wilhelm was a top performer as he made many big plays and seemed to be everywhere on the football field. However, Wilhelm was hobbled by an ankle injury as a junior and just didn’t appear to be the same player. Wilhelm had surgery prior to the 2002 college season, and needless to say he will have to show the form that he did as a sophomore to become a top linebacker pick. From a physical standpoint Wilhelm is an ideal middle linebacker. He has great size, good speed and is a smart player who makes plays all over the field. Right now he grades out as a fifth rounder, but if he displays the form he did as a sophomore he could work his way up into day one.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Ken Dorsey/QB/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srqbprofiles.htm)

(6-5, 200, estimated 5.01 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 12 games, 194 completions/350 attempts, 3073 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns/10 interceptions /// 19 carries, -20 rushing yards, 0 rushing touchdowns

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 184 completions/318 attempts, 2652 passing yards, 23 passing touchdowns/9 interceptions /// 12 carries, 3 rushing yards, 0 rushing touchdowns

Positives: Great intangibles. Super-smart player who has a complete and total grasp of the offense he is in. A true field general that rarely makes a mistake on the football field. Is a productive player who performs at his best in the big games.

Negatives: Does not have the arm-strength that NFL scouts desire. Will struggle badly when trying to throw the ball in adverse weather conditions. Skinny as a rail and will need to add considerable weight if he’s to take the pounding that the NFL will provide. Will not hurt the opposition with his feet.

Overall analysis: As a college player, there are very few who are as good and successful as Dorsey. Simply put, he’s been nothing but a winner. Despite the great talent around him, Ken Dorsey is the main reason why the Miami Hurricane’s have been so successful on offense over the course of the last two seasons. Dorsey is a true field general and is a player the troops rely on and believe in. However, it may be a much different story once Dorsey reaches the next level. On numerous occasions I’ve seen opposing defensive backs break up deep outs thrown across the field of play, and indication that Dorsey does not have the necessary arm-strength to make all the required NFL passes. He also has a history of really struggling when playing in adverse weather conditions, something that will factor heavily into grade when being evaluated by a “bad-weather” NFL team. Dorsey is very skinny and frail looking (the 200 pound listing appears to be very generous), and will have trouble staying healthy in the NFL if he doesn’t get significantly bigger. So even though he has been such a great and effective college player, there are so many legitimate questions about Dorsey that it is hard to envision him as a NFL franchise quarterback. However, one can never dismiss a player with his track record and package of intangibles. Personally I see Dorsey as a later round type player, but certainly it wouldn’t be too surprising to see him go on the first day of the draft due to his impressive college resume.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Jerome McDougle/DE/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/playerprofiles.htm)

(6-4, 271, estimated 4.65 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 55 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 1 interception, 3 passes broken up, 1 fumble recovery, 3 forced fumbles

Positives: Is a very good athlete, having an excellent combination of speed and quickness. Has very good pass-rush upside. Was a constant force in the opposition’s backfield in 2001.

Negatives: Has put on a lot of weight in the last year or so, and may not be as big and strong as his size indicates. Over-aged, will be a 24-year old rookie once he reaches the NFL.

Overall analysis: Needless to say, the journey to Miami was a long one for McDougle. He started his college football career at Pittsburgh State before transferring to Hinds Community College. McDougle finally got on the field for Miami in 2001 and was an immediate force. Despite the fact that he had only 6 sacks, McDougle was an impact player and became a fixture in the opponent’s backfield. But there is some downside to this player. Mainly, McDougle may not have good natural size and strength and he will be a little older than most rookies. It’s also worth mentioning that McDougle’s bother, Stockar, was a first round selection out of Oklahoma who now plays for the Detroit Lions. In the final analysis, McDougle appears solid as a prospect and will likely rank among the top defensive ends on the board when the 2003 NFL draft arrives.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Jamaal Green/DE/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srdeprofiles.htm)

(6-3, 261, estimated 4.78 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 45 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 1 pass broken up, 1 forced fumble

Positives: A very fast player who shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage. Has very good pass-rush upside. Showed great improvement as a junior and really came on like gangbusters at the end of 2001.

Negatives: Needs to get bigger and stronger. Plays small and has some difficulty holding the point of attack. May struggle to get adequate playing time in 2002.

Overall analysis: Heading into the 2001 college football season, Jamaal Green didn’t appear to be anything more than a late-round possibility. However, he got a chance to shine when Cornelius Green ended up missing virtually all of 2001 with a toe injury and starter Andrew Williams’s season ended early with a knee injury. Jamaal Green stepped up and was an extremely productive player for the Hurricanes, and he routinely displayed good quickness and some real explosive qualities. However, Jamaal Green figures to be in a real battle for playing time with the healthy return of Cornelius Green and Andrew Williams. Right now it looks to be an open battle for the defensive end spot across from Jerome McDougle, with the winner to reap the rewards in terms of draft stock. If Jamaal Green can win the starting role, he has enough ability to emerge as a day one defensive end prospect. If not, he still figures to be a later round pick because of his ability and overall production while in college.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Matt Walters/DL/Miami, Fl (http://www.aokdraft.com/walterssp.html)

College: University of Miami

Class: Senior

Height: 6'5

Weight: 275 pounds

40-Yard Dash: 4.90

NFL Comparison: Josh Williams

As part of a defensive line rotation that includes seven other future NFL players, Matt Walters tends to be overlooked as a pro prospect. Despite a linear build, he stays low and plays with good leverage. Walters shows great lateral movement and closing speed for a defensive tackle and may even be quick enough to switch to left defensive end at the next level. He is great at anticipating the snap count and beating his man off the ball, which will allow him to be a threat to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher should he remain at defensive tackle. At either position, Walters will be a contributor due to his unremitting effort and sure tackling. These contributions, however, may not come until he has had the chance to bulk up with a year in the weight room. Unless he is going to play end, Walters will need to add 10-15 pounds of muscle if he wants to hold up at the point of attack against the gargantuan interior offensive linemen of the NFL. During the 2001 season, Walters totalled 66 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 19 quarterback hurries, 1 forced fumble and 1 interception as a key member of the Miami national championship team. Scouts will probably label him as a defensive end/defensive tackle tweener and ask if his production was a product of playing next to William Joseph. In all likelihood, these questions will make Walters a day two selection. As long as a team is patient and lets him fill out in the weight room, they will be rewarded with a solid starter at defensive tackle a few years down the road.

Source- AOKDraft.com

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:54 PM
William Joseph/DT/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srdtprofiles.htm)

(6-5, 297, estimated 4.90 40 time)

2001 Season Stats: 11 games, 59 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, 1 interception, 2 passes broken up, 4 forced fumbles

Positives: Great combination of size and athletic ability. Is a player who plays with power and with speed. Can clog up the middle and get after the passer. Plays and projects inside, but has more than enough ability to play outside as well.

Negatives: Performance goes in streaks, tends to have a couple off games before putting five great games together. Needs to do a better job of keeping his pad level lower on a consistent basis.

Overall analysis: Currently Joseph appears to rank among the top prospects available for 2003, regardless of position. Simply put, Joseph is the complete package for an NFL defensive tackle. He has height, size and will likely get bigger (probably will end up in the 315 to 320 pound area). He is very strong, can hold the point of attack and disrupt the opponent’s running game. He can also get after the passer using his great combination of strength, speed and quickness. Basically if he is focused he is just about as good as it gets. However, even though he generally plays low there are instances where he gets his pad level up and gives the offensive lineman the advantage. But as of now, Joseph looks as good as any other senior prospect in the country. Joseph looks like a solid top 15 overall pick at this point and will probably be a top 10 pick with a strong senior season.

Source- NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Brett Romberg/C/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srcprofiles.htm)

(6-3, 290, estimated 5.24 40 time)

Positives: Possesses very good quickness and can explode off of the snap. Fundamentally sound player who gets good position and does a nice job of using his hands. Has been an exceptional college player.

Negatives: Is a little undersized. Does not have great strength and can get pushed around by bigger players.

Overall analysis: Despite the fact that he is not as big and naturally strong as many NFL scouts would like, Romberg has been such an exceptional player at Miami that he is likely to gather strong interest on draft day. Romberg was a first team All-Big East performer as a senior, and was also the winner of the Rimington Trophy as the nation’s top center. Romberg has been a three-year starter at center while at Miami, he started off good and has done nothing but get even better. Romberg does an excellent job of getting the most out of his size and ability. He is very quick, knows blocking angles and does a great job with his hands. The lack of natural size and strength will likely push Romberg down the draft board, but he’s been such an exceptional college player that he still looks to be a solid day one pick. Don’t be surprised if this player eventually turns out to be a draft day steal.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Sherko Haji-Rasouli/OG/Miami, Fl (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/srogprofiles.htm)

(6-6, 318, estimated 5.41 40 time)

Positives: Has good size and good quickness for his size. Can pull and block on the move. Shows good awareness and does a nice job of picking up blitzes. Very good player who has a lot of room to improve and get better.

Negatives: Sometimes has trouble anchoring and will get pushed around. Has had some serious knee injuries and has had a very difficult time staying healthy.

Overall analysis: Haji-Rasouli was really coming into his own and emerging as a top player in 2001 when his season ended early with a serious knee injury (ACL). Haji-Rasouli returned and had a solid senior year, earning first team All-Big East honors. If it wasn’t for his medical concerns, Haji-Rasouli could be as good a player as any senior offensive guard prospect in the country. Haji-Rasouli has a great combination of size, strength and athleticism. He is ideal as a left guard as he can block on the move and does a very good job in pass protection. However, his medical background is a cause of concern. He suffered an ACL injury in 1998, and his 2001 season ended early due to an ACL injury. He also didn’t finish the 2000 season, missing the last half of that season after undergoing a knee operation. If he stays healthy, Haji-Rasouli could turn out to be a heck of a player. But let the buyer beware because there is a great amount of risk considering his past injuries.

NFL Draft Blitz

MelK
01-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Basically, watch the entire Miami team. They sent a dozen guys last season, will send close to that this season, and If they are good enough to sart in the game, they will be future NFL players.

That's how you win 34 in a row.

wharfrat
01-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Go Buckeyes!!!!!

The_Philster
01-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by wharfrat
Go Buckeyes!!!!!

I'm torn myself...I bet on Miami but I'd love to see the Big 10 rack up another win...especially since my Penn State team choked. :(

wharfrat
01-01-2003, 09:44 PM
I'm an OSU alum ... so I'm behind them through thick and thin... I love that they even made it to the Fiesta Bowl... it was a great season for them... I doubt they'll beat Miami, but for them to have a shot at the national crown thrills me beyond words!

iceblizzard69
01-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by wharfrat
I'm an OSU alum ... so I'm behind them through thick and thin... I love that they even made it to the Fiesta Bowl... it was a great season for them... I doubt they'll beat Miami, but for them to have a shot at the national crown thrills me beyond words!

It isn't gonna be close, sorry Wharf

Miami 38
Ohio State 17

:):)

Dozerdog
01-01-2003, 11:12 PM
My sister (wiener52 on the boards) is a Buckeye employee-

Matter of fact I spent Thanksgiving in Columbus this year- Go Buckeyes!!

BillsMan80
01-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Bucks-17
Miami-13

wharfrat
01-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Miami 38
Ohio State 17

You're probably right... but they had one h@ll of a season to get there....certainly nothing to be ashamed of!

wharfrat
01-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Buckeyes!!!!! Wooo-Freeekin-Hoo!!!!

DraftBoy
01-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Great game best championship game ive ever seen.

Marcos20
01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
i saw the game and i liked 3 persons ... 51 Miami LB Vilma (damn that guy hits hard , in last year bowl he also make a wonderfull hit, against a WR) , S Miami .. i dont remember the name, the guy had Dradlocks i think .. and OSU K Nugent (he could be awesome making kickoffs)

BillsMan80
01-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Too bad about McGahee though. IMO, top 5 pick he would have been, but now needs surgery and rehab to repair a torn ACL, MCL, AND PCL. Sad.

Marcos20
01-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Too bad about McGahee though. IMO, top 5 pick he would have been, but now needs surgery and rehab to repair a torn ACL, MCL, AND PCL. Sad.

ahh truly.. what he have.. canu put some link or something?

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I liked that Wilfork guy, the Miami DT.

BillsMan80
01-04-2003, 06:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/fiesta_mcgahee030104.html

wharfrat
01-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Miami 38
Ohio State 17

sorry Ice... but I gotta say it again...

Buckeyes!!! wooo-Freeekin-hoooo!

MelK
01-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I liked that Wilfork guy, the Miami DT.

He's a redshirt sophomore. He hasn't decided to declare or not yet.

MelK
01-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Vince Wilfork (http://www.draftbook.com/indxdraft.html)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Blue Northcollected by draftbook.com

1-3-03

NFL personnel people are describing Wilfork as a 'big' Warren Sapp who simply can't be moved off the line of scrimmage. In fact, as a testimony to the talent level at Miami, Wilfork isn't even a starter. The big question regarding Wilfork, though, at this time, is what affect the recent deaths of his parents - his mother died just a couple of weeks ago - may have on his decision to enter the 2003 draft. While not a starter, Wilfork will probably grade out higher than his more heralded defensive linemates DT William Joseph (#94, 6-5, 295) and DE Jerome McDougle (#95, 6-4, 270), both of whom are are also potential top 10 prospects, although each has slipped a bit in scout's eyes of late.

MelK
01-05-2003, 08:00 AM
TFY- collected by draftbook.com
1-3-03
Vince Wilfolk has made several recent announcements he plans on staying in college but should he reverse course, a top eight pick is in the offing.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 08:27 AM
The guy is a monster.

Since the Bills don't have a No. 1, he'd look good in a Bear uni....

TigerJ
01-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Last I heard Wilfork was expected to return to Miami. His earlier reasoning for leaving was to help pay his mother's medical bills. She has since died removing that reason. (His father is dead too.) Word is he promised his mother he would finish school.