PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Cares So I’ll Bore Youse People

Halbert
01-01-2003, 07:03 AM
This year I had 9 FF teams with 6 making the playoffs (1 other team lead the league in scoring yet didn’t advance). All 6 of the teams made the finals with 5 winning the championship. Excuse me while I hurt myself reaching around to pat myself on the back: Ow.

The year before I had 13 teams with 9 making the playoffs. Week 1 of the postseason saw 7 of those teams get absolutely crushed and out of the playoffs. I did win 2 championships, one in a league of all girls (hey, most of them had brushcuts) and the other I just edged out Wys in a thrilling 2-week final.

Interesting how one year most of my playoff teams immediately crash and burn while the next year more than half of them win the darn thing. I used exactly the same system (home grown stat analysis spreadsheets) both years. Just goes to show that at some point FF becomes mostly luck.

shelby
01-01-2003, 07:08 AM
:urock:

My ff team sucked copiously.
:lol:

MelK
01-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Great Job, Piondexter!

Sure, guys who advance scout their teams , use spreadheets and systems get labled "Nerds", "Geeks" , and my personal favorite- "Draft Bimbos".

But who's laughing now?

Earthquake Enyart
01-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I am. Nerds. :snicker:

Halbert
01-01-2003, 12:43 PM
rofl!

I am NOT a bimbo.

casdhf
01-10-2003, 05:36 PM
I've got a golden Buffalo too.

Dozerdog
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Living in the past already, eh?

lordofgun
01-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I've got a golden Buffalo too.

It was silver, but I peed on it. :snicker:

lordofgun
01-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Hal, I used to play a ton of leagues, but I tneded to always end up with similar teams due to likes/opinions on certain players. For instance this year I had 3 teams and they all sucked because I tended to draft the same people. Thsi especially goes for my sleeper players, so if I find some gems, all my teams tend to do well. On the other hand, if I strike out with my sleepers, my teams tend to all struggle since they're usually comprised of the same sleepers.

dang, that was confusing. :D

clumping platelets
01-11-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by shelby
:urock:

My ff team sucked copiously.
:lol:

I wish I could make a comment but this IS a family board! :gag:

Halbert
01-13-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I tneded to always end up with similar teams due to likes/opinions on certain players. For instance this year I had 3 teams and they all sucked because I tended to draft the same people. Thsi especially goes for my sleeper players, so if I find some gems, all my teams tend to do well [or] tend to all struggle since they're usually comprised of the same sleepers.
That's been a problem for me, too. The last two years I tried to minimize that by avoiding the temptation to pick up the same sleepers on all my teams. I would identify 2-3 sleepers per position and try to balance them among my teams. Since most sleepers are busts, you stand a greater chance of ending up with a few that way. Of course, some of the teams might miss out on a player you were right about, but in the long run I think you do better by speading your chances.

Regarding drafting, I'm convinced that leagues are won primarily on the waiver wire. Yes, you have to draft well to give yourself maximum chances to have season long studs on the team, but there are always more new stars that emerge than players who produce at a high level 2-3 years in a row. You end up turning your team over a lot more than you might think. More than half of my top producers would not have been in my starting lineup in preseason.

It also depends a lot on luck. This season I lost a bunch of games early, which put me high on the waiver wire priority. Emerging players are most obvious around weeks 3-6 so I got the chance to pick up a lot of good new players at that stage. So it actually helped me a great deal to suck in weeks 1 & 2. If I had the balls I'd like to try tanking games in early weeks just to have first crack at the waiver wire. But I don't so it was fortunate I had bad luck. :scratch:

Earthquake Enyart
01-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Log lost early and often. :snicker2: