• Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Volek sets Rossencock straight...

Volek sets agent straight
    Backup QB says Rosenhaus went too far in comments about desire to be traded

By TOM WRIGHT
    The Leaf-Chronicle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASHVILLE — Two days after agent Drew Rosenhaus came to Titans training camp and said backup quarterback Billy Volek wanted to be traded, Volek cleared the air Wednesday after practice.

Not only does the six-year veteran want to stay in Nashville this year, Volek said he was upset with the way his agent, Rosenhaus, portrayed him in the media.

"I called him up right away and said, 'Hey, what did you do, man?'" said Volek of his reaction to the story printed Tuesday in The Tennessean saying that Rosenhaus was looking to set up a trade with a team that could give Volek a chance to start. "But we are on the same page now.

"It was a big miscommunication, and I can't believe how big it got."

Volek said he knew Rosenhaus was coming to Nashville to talk to Titans general manager Floyd Reese on Monday, but Rosenhaus didn't handle it like Volek expected.

"I thought he was going to lay the foundation with Floyd for my future," Volek said. "He did that, but he also went to the media. ... Now Drew and I are on the same page.

"He knows how I want to be represented."

Volek wanted to clear up the matter because he feared the public would put him in the same category with a couple of Rosenhaus' other clients like Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker, who have both made headlines for threatening to hold out of training camp this summer.

"I am not like Terrell Owens or Javon Walker," Volek said. "Just because Drew represents those guys doesn't mean I am the same category as those guys. I want to be represented the way I want to be represented, and Drew understands that now.

"We went through some growing pains, but like I said, we are on the same page now."

Volek wants to keep his focus on helping the Titans win this year.

"I want to get Steve (McNair) back to where he was in 2003," Volek said. "And I am going to do all I can do to help this team. If it is scout team, or if Steve goes down, I would love to help win some ballgames."

But while Volek cleared up how he views his role with the Titans this year, that doesn't mean he doesn't want to start for an NFL team in the near future.

"People who say, 'I want to be a backup all my life,' what is that guy's desires?" Volek said. "I want to be a starter. If it is not here, it will be somewhere in the future. But right now I want to help Steve out."

Volek did that plenty last year.

When McNair went down with a sternum injury in the third game of the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars and missed eight games because of the injury, Volek stepped in and completed 218 of 357 passes (61.1 percent) for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns.

His 426 yards passing on Dec. 13 against the Kansas City Chiefs and 492 yards passing the next week against the Oakland Raiders made Volek only the fourth quarterback in NFL history to record back-to-back 400-yard passing games, joining Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Phil Simms.

Those kinds of numbers gave Rosenhaus plenty of ammunition to make his case for Volek to be traded, but for now, Volek is happy in Tennessee.

"We will cross that bridge in January or February," Volek said. "I am glad I am here. My family loves it here. I love it here. The fans are great.

"I am glad to be a Titan."
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

Re: Volek sets Rossencock straight...

Good. I hope that ******* loses all his credibility.
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Rosenhaus

Drew got put in his place.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

do you REALLY think this wasnt all planned out? Fact is.. Volek got what he wanted... he got the media talking about him wanting to be traded (in turn telling other clubs he is ready to leave) and he used his agents "mistake" as a way to save face!

This stuff doesnt just happen people... i promise.. it was planned!

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Volek doesn't seem like that type of player at all. Didn't he turn down money from other teams (us included?) to stay there? I've heard plenty of times players(all sports) firing agents for this kind of misrepresentation.

Comment

• Shasta McNasty
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Pride
            do you REALLY think this wasnt all planned out? Fact is.. Volek got what he wanted... he got the media talking about him wanting to be traded (in turn telling other clubs he is ready to leave) and he used his agents "mistake" as a way to save face!

I second that theory.

Comment

• texasphinsfan
              • Mar 2004

Volek had the opportunity to sign somewhere else over the offseason, and chose to stay in Tennessee. I think this is a classic case of Rosenf@#k taking it to far and being a pen is.

i also think that volek didn't "put him in his place"... he just privately corrected him then publicly said they are on the same page now. i would have rather volek call rosenf@#k an idiot or stupid... that would have been a lot better.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pride

Totally agree!!

Comment

Working...
                X