PDA

View Full Version : Don't care what anyone else thinks, Losman looked GREAT!

Schobel94
08-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm hearing all of this garbage about Losman having happy feet and looking uncomfortable in the pocket. BS! I was at the game and he looked really solid. Sure he ran around a lot, but I'd rather have him rushing for positive yardage than taking sacks or throwing balls into coverage that he's not comfortable with. With more expierience in the league he will get better, but he has the ability to make things happen when the coverage is there.

All of his balls were perfectly placed. he only went 7/14, but two were thrown away (correct decision) and three were dropped, right in the hands of Moulds, Evans, and Reed. So he was more like 7/9.

And, most importantly, with him at the helm the offense scored 17 points in the first half, nuff said.

LarryBoy
08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Foxsports agrees with ya: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4270100

I cant wait to watch a game.

JD
08-20-2005, 09:44 PM
He has gotta get down early....people are going to get him good if it was regular season

it seems like he never has his feet planted, always on his toes....i think mikey caught a pic of it.....and that safety mishap? lol lucky there was a penalty on the play lol....

He is doing good though imo.

JD
08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I also see some tunnelvision from him....I never really seen him look at the entire field most the night....it was always just to one side, hes gotta throw down some good pumpfakes soon too.

Drive 4 Five
08-20-2005, 10:01 PM
All I know is that he is freakin' better than that bone-head Bledsoe and right now that is enough for me.

Novacane
08-20-2005, 10:10 PM
I would not say he looked great but I was happy with his performance. He showed improvement from last week and thats all we can ask. My biggest beef with his play tonight was not getting down when the run was over. He took 3 big hits and he can't keep that up or he'll get injured plus I'll have a heart attack. Please JP...............learn to slide :pray:

sba
08-20-2005, 10:26 PM
three were dropped, right in the hands of Moulds, Evans
those were badly overthrown.

lordofgun
08-20-2005, 10:35 PM
those were badly overthrown.
Evans had two hands on it...shoulda caught it.

Gunzlingr
08-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Local News had highlights (we are bordline Packerland), and when they show Losman run for the score after Farve highlights, they intro'd with "From Favre the living legend, to Losman the future legend". Kinda nice to see props, even if it was from KELO.

JD
08-20-2005, 11:15 PM
The boy is quick though thats for sure. Alot of his passes were thrown high tonight too....he seems so nervous, hes the ryan miller of the nfl...if u kno what i mean

LifetimeBillsFan
08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
The boy is quick though thats for sure. Alot of his passes were thrown high tonight too....he seems so nervous, hes the ryan miller of the nfl...if u kno what i mean
That's probably because the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Eventually it will (something to really look for), but, at this point, with everything seeming to be happening so fast around him, internally he is trying to keep pace by doing everything quicker than he needs to, which makes his movements appear to be nervous and a touch out of sync. Once he catches up to the speed of the game in his mind, his body should settle down and he will look more relaxed. In the meantime, I suspect that he will be relying on his athletic ability (not just his ability to run, but also the strength of his arm) to make plays--which is OK because he is a natural playmaker, but isn't something that you always want to rely on and won't be fully utilizing all of his capabilities.

The thing that I like most about JP--beyond his athletic ability and talent--is that he made a solid improvement over his performance last week. No young QB gets it all right away: the best ones are the ones who keep getting better and are able to do more each week until the game slows down for them and they are in a position to really use all of their skills. With JP's play-making ability, if he continues to make the kind of improvements that he made from last week's game to this one, the Bills will be in a much better position to overcome the mistakes that he will, inevitably, make (like the safety that was called back) than most teams with a first year starting QB would be. I also like the fact that he threw a couple of balls away rather than risk a turnover: that's something that Drew Bledsoe never learned to do even after he had a lot more experience than JP!

While I would go overboard praising JP based on his performance against GB, I think he had a solid performance--even though his numbers weren't as good as they looked last week--and showed the kind of improvement in his game to make Bills fans very happy and optimistic about what he will be able to do for the team in the future.

texasphinsfan
08-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Losman looked great, but didn't Holcomb look better?

Drive 4 Five
08-21-2005, 12:32 AM
That's probably because the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Eventually it will (something to really look for), but, at this point, with everything seeming to be happening so fast around him, internally he is trying to keep pace by doing everything quicker than he needs to, which makes his movements appear to be nervous and a touch out of sync. Once he catches up to the speed of the game in his mind, his body should settle down and he will look more relaxed. In the meantime, I suspect that he will be relying on his athletic ability (not just his ability to run, but also the strength of his arm) to make plays--which is OK because he is a natural playmaker, but isn't something that you always want to rely on and won't be fully utilizing all of his capabilities.

The thing that I like most about JP--beyond his athletic ability and talent--is that he made a solid improvement over his performance last week. No young QB gets it all right away: the best ones are the ones who keep getting better and are able to do more each week until the game slows down for them and they are in a position to really use all of their skills. With JP's play-making ability, if he continues to make the kind of improvements that he made from last week's game to this one, the Bills will be in a much better position to overcome the mistakes that he will, inevitably, make (like the safety that was called back) than most teams with a first year starting QB would be. I also like the fact that he threw a couple of balls away rather than risk a turnover: that's something that Drew Bledsoe never learned to do even after he had a lot more experience than JP!

While I would go overboard praising JP based on his performance against GB, I think he had a solid performance--even though his numbers weren't as good as they looked last week--and showed the kind of improvement in his game to make Bills fans very happy and optimistic about what he will be able to do for the team in the future.

Excellent analysis bro. While I agree with the consensus that he appears very nervous, he does have a pretty good awareness of what is going on around him. He has an excellent grasp of the offense. The hard work he put in shows and he is definitely the man in charge on that offense. What is most impressive to me is the work ethic and dedication in perfecting his craft. That alone has earned the respect of his team and will serve him well. So far he has proven to be the consumate professional in terms of his study and preparation. One factor that must be mentioned is the beautiful job that Wyche and the other coaches have done with him. Boys, we got ourselves one hell of a QB.

bledslow
08-21-2005, 12:33 AM
on his misses,even the ones he threw away out of bounds,there were ppl open. he needs to read the field better. he better improve,the defenses he is facing are vanilla with no schemes involved.holcrumb(sp) looked better.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
I'll bet anyone that Losman will get us a Ring.

Maybe not this year, maybe not next, maybe not with Moulds, Spikes, Fletcher, on the team still, but he will get us a ring - TD will keep him surrounded with this level of talent (and of course the occasional bust like Reed) and eventually we'll get that ring.

I have no doubt we're gonna keep him around for a long time (like 10 years at least) and in that time we'll get that ring.

Call me a homer - but the guy is just as big of a competitor as Elway - he won't be denied.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Plus he's got the "I just replaced Drew Bledsoe" Karma going for him.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Statistics can be deceiving.

Holcomb had better passing stats, but played against GB's second string D. JP played against their starting D.

Holcomb and Losman are very different QBs, stylistically. Right now, Holcomb looks more composed and will probably continue to put up better passing numbers than JP because he is a veteran who is relaxed and able to use the full repertoire of his skills to use all of the options that are part of a play's design. Because of his inexperience and the fact that the game hasn't slowed down for him, JP hasn't yet developed that kind of composure yet. But, JP has much more raw athletic ability and showed tonight that he is a playmaker who can make something out of nothing or buy time to avoid a loss--something that a less mobile Holcomb could not do.

The reason that Bills fans are raving about Losman tonite, even though his passing stats weren't as good as Holcomb's were can be summed up in three plays:

1.) On 3rd and goal from a yard and a half out (after McGahee had gotten stuffed on 2nd down), JP ran a designed rollout pass-run option. The TE was open, but JP, seeing that the TE was slow turning his head to him, took off and ran the ball in rather than risk an incompletion. Holcomb probably would have thrown the ball rather than run, Bledsoe couldn't have run this play at all.

2.) On 3rd and 5 from the GB 11 yard line, JP scrambles for 6 and a first down when his receivers are all covered to keep the drive alive resulting in a TD. Holcomb might have run, but, not being as fast as JP, might not have made it; Bledsoe throws the ball.

3.) Perhaps the most impressive play for me was: on 1st and goal from the GB 6, Losman scrambled for what seemed to be more than 10 seconds before throwing the ball away when he couldn't find an open receiver--on the next play, McGahee ran it in for a TD. Holcomb and Bledsoe could never have kept the play alive that long--Bledsoe wouldn't have tried and probably wouldn't have thrown the ball away rather than take a sack, either.

While I have no doubt that Holcomb would be a solid starter for the Bills and is more polished and composed at this point in time, Losman possesses a playmaking ability that doesn't necessarily show up in the statistics, but that translates into the kind of leadership abilities that you want from a starting QB. I like Holcomb--loved the signing--but JP has the ability to make things happen in a game even if he still doesn't quite know as much about what he's doing out there as Holcomb does.

What you have to understand is that the Bills finished dead last in the NFL in red zone conversions last season with Bledsoe at the helm while finishing first in average yard of starting offensive possessions (thanks to our STs and D). JP was 3-3 tonite: 2 TDs on possessions begun in GB territory and a FG on a drive from the Bills 20; in 4 possessions (the last ending with a punt from the GB 45 after starting on the Bills' 21). That's pretty good. Holcomb led them to a FG and left the game in the series where the Bills scored their last TD, getting points on 2 of 4 possessions that he was in on. Good, but not as good as JP, even though his passing numbers were better.

Drive 4 Five
08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
on his misses,even the ones he threw away out of bounds,there were ppl open. he needs to read the field better. he better improve,the defenses he is facing are vanilla with no schemes involved.holcrumb(sp) looked better.

How the hell do you know? Were you actually there? I doubt it and those of us who have to watch games on the tube don't get the benefit of seeing the whole field like the fans at the stadium. So unless you were actually there, do us all a favor and stop talking out of your ass.

I do have to admit that you make a pretty good point about the defenses we have faced so far. We'll find out soon enough eh? Although,for anyone who has doubt, one thing I can't emphasize enough is that he will at least fare better than Bledose did here. He is better for our team, he will enhance the ability of that entire offense, and he will undoubtedly outplay Bledsoe in terms of what dick nose did his last two season there. You can bet your ass on that.

BillsPride12
08-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Losman is gonna be fine...as soon as our receivers start getting some separation, catching balls, and our o-line blocks consistently:crap:

Drive 4 Five
08-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Losman is gonna be fine...as soon as our receivers start getting some separation, catching balls, and our o-line blocks consistently:crap:

3 words.

RUN WILLIS RUN!

bills_7
08-21-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm hearing all of this garbage about Losman having happy feet and looking uncomfortable in the pocket. BS! I was at the game and he looked really solid. Sure he ran around a lot, but I'd rather have him rushing for positive yardage than taking sacks or throwing balls into coverage that he's not comfortable with. With more expierience in the league he will get better, but he has the ability to make things happen when the coverage is there.

All of his balls were perfectly placed. he only went 7/14, but two were thrown away (correct decision) and three were dropped, right in the hands of Moulds, Evans, and Reed. So he was more like 7/9.

And, most importantly, with him at the helm the offense scored 17 points in the first half, nuff said.

thank you,,, at least someone is not bein stupid and can see we have a great player here.,., everyoneelse can jst being negetive that all u hear ( most ppl)... to many anylists r putting our season on him... thats not the case he does play a big role but he only has to be avg... if he is btr great... once again thank you---

Novacane
08-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Losman looked great, but didn't Holcomb look better?

uh..........................no. btw......... how'd you're teams pathetic QB's look last night?