PDA

View Full Version : You people wont be happy unless Losman=Manning

X-Era
08-21-2005, 08:01 AM
The guy if flat out a playmaker. PERIOD!

I saw 1 count it, 1 bad play last night. That was the scramble toward the endzone. That was his first bad play all year to me! The fumble? That stuff happens, ask Drew he lost a game for us agianst NE with his fumbles.

I can count at LEAST 6 plays that JP made that Drew would have been sacked on.

All we need Losman to do is be better than Drew. Well, so far, mission accomplished!

Get off his case, it only gets better from here with experience.

Heres what he does better than typical young QB's:

1) Pocket presence- the guy flat out has it. I predict that he will be the least sacked starting QB in one of the next few years. He moves out of the pocket just before the pressure. Its amazing and something we should be celebrating after Drew, not questioning whos open when he runs. It reminds me of Flutie.

2) Arm strength- The guy has a rocket for an arm, he drills it in there. I sometimes wonder if he needs to take a bit off so that the damn WR's will catch it and not drop it. But I seriously cant think of many QB's with that type of arm strength

3) Accuracy- the long throw to Reed in the end zone should show what he can do. Its all there as far as accuracy. The part I like is that when he misses, he misses to the right side or direction. In other words, hes throwing away from defenders which means less chance for picks. My only question is he threw too high on a few plays but again id rather have that then picks.

4) Scrambling- say what you will, but the guy is converting 3rd downs and/or getting yards when we may have ended up with nothing. This factor alone will keep the D's honest and open up some pass plays.

5) Play Faking- He does a fantastic job of play faking and this bodes very well for a team that wants to sell run and then throw or vice versa

Overall, we should be happierthan pigs in sh_t but instead we still get criticism. Whats up with that? How did Aaron Rogers do last night? Thats what I thought. We could have had a true rookie at QB. We could still be stuck with Drew.

Personally, I cant think of another guy drafted in the past 2 years that I would rather have. Yes that includes Big Ben.

Get off your perfection horses and get on the bandwagon, were headed for great things sooners rather than later. If he were throwing multiple picks and getting no first downs Id be worried, but moving the ball the way he does and scoring with his arm and feet? Nuff said!!!!!!!!

don137
08-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Not sure what you are reading. An overwhelming amount of the posts are very positive for JP. They are very encouraged seeing how he has played and think he can get better with experience and the posters are just being objective. He is taking some unnecessary hits and that is a concern but he will learn. Teammates and the coaching staff have indicated that also unless they need to get off there high horse as well.

Novacane
08-21-2005, 08:12 AM
other than the wiped out safety I can't see what people have to complain about either. He looked really good throwing the ball and running. It's fun having a QB that can make plays with his feet. He does need to start sliding though.

I guess people are just used to seeing a statue stand there, pat the ball and then take a sack. They are not used to a guy that runs around and causes a couple seconds of heart failure before throwing the ball away

mybills
08-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Not sure what you are reading. An overwhelming amount of the posts are very positive for JP. They are very encouraged seeing how he has played and think he can get better with experience and the posters are just being objective.
Ditto

gggbills
08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
The guy if flat out a playmaker. PERIOD!

I saw 1 count it, 1 bad play last night. That was the scramble toward the endzone. That was his first bad play all year to me! The fumble? That stuff happens, ask Drew he lost a game for us agianst NE with his fumbles.

I can count at LEAST 6 plays that JP made that Drew would have been sacked on.

All we need Losman to do is be better than Drew. Well, so far, mission accomplished!

Get off his case, it only gets better from here with experience.

Heres what he does better than typical young QB's:

1) Pocket presence- the guy flat out has it. I predict that he will be the least sacked starting QB in one of the next few years. He moves out of the pocket just before the pressure. Its amazing and something we should be celebrating after Drew, not questioning whos open when he runs. It reminds me of Flutie.

2) Arm strength- The guy has a rocket for an arm, he drills it in there. I sometimes wonder if he needs to take a bit off so that the damn WR's will catch it and not drop it. But I seriously cant think of many QB's with that type of arm strength

3) Accuracy- the long throw to Reed in the end zone should show what he can do. Its all there as far as accuracy. The part I like is that when he misses, he misses to the right side or direction. In other words, hes throwing away from defenders which means less chance for picks. My only question is he threw too high on a few plays but again id rather have that then picks.

4) Scrambling- say what you will, but the guy is converting 3rd downs and/or getting yards when we may have ended up with nothing. This factor alone will keep the D's honest and open up some pass plays.

5) Play Faking- He does a fantastic job of play faking and this bodes very well for a team that wants to sell run and then throw or vice versa

Overall, we should be happierthan pigs in sh_t but instead we still get criticism. Whats up with that? How did Aaron Rogers do last night? Thats what I thought. We could have had a true rookie at QB. We could still be stuck with Drew.

Personally, I cant think of another guy drafted in the past 2 years that I would rather have. Yes that includes Big Ben.

Get off your perfection horses and get on the bandwagon, were headed for great things sooners rather than later. If he were throwing multiple picks and getting no first downs Id be worried, but moving the ball the way he does and scoring with his arm and feet? Nuff said!!!!!!!!

I for one have no problem with JP at this point. In fact, I think we have been in the Red Zone 3 times this preseason and have scored 3 tds, (Willis run, JP run, JP pass to Evans), I'll take that stat any day of the week. There are those who say that JP has happy feet.....well, I do not care if his feet are happy, sad or depressed, as long as he moves them when he needs too. You all know what happens when a QB does not move his feet don't you?? Do I really need to mention that QB's name.....I thought not.

JP is doing exactly what we want him to do, keeping drives alive, moving the chains, protecting the football, giving defenses hell in the red zone. And let's not forget that 8 minute drive vs the Pack that netted us 3 points. JP kept that drive alive with his feet and his arm.

He will make mistakes, an overthrow here, and bad decision there, no different from any other QB in the NFL. But for right now, I have to say I feel real good about going into the season with JP as our starter.

Turf
08-21-2005, 09:26 AM
He reminds me a bit of Elway. The thing he will do too is confound the defense. When they realize they can't sack him and get frustrated, they may stop blitzing and just drop back into coverage. It changes everything offensively for us.

JD
08-21-2005, 09:29 AM
He seems way to nervous in the pocket hopefully hes more settled come sept.11, the boy doesnt plant his feet, often leading to high passes and risk of int.

X-Era
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I for one have no problem with JP at this point. In fact, I think we have been in the Red Zone 3 times this preseason and have scored 3 tds, (Willis run, JP run, JP pass to Evans), I'll take that stat any day of the week. There are those who say that JP has happy feet.....well, I do not care if his feet are happy, sad or depressed, as long as he moves them when he needs too. You all know what happens when a QB does not move his feet don't you?? Do I really need to mention that QB's name.....I thought not.

JP is doing exactly what we want him to do, keeping drives alive, moving the chains, protecting the football, giving defenses hell in the red zone. And let's not forget that 8 minute drive vs the Pack that netted us 3 points. JP kept that drive alive with his feet and his arm.

He will make mistakes, an overthrow here, and bad decision there, no different from any other QB in the NFL. But for right now, I have to say I feel real good about going into the season with JP as our starter.
Amen to that!

Right on the money. Like I said before, he only needs to be one game better than Drew last year and we are playoff bound. I dont need him to win every damn game for us, just keep drives alive and play decent football. He wont be mistake free, but no one is. If anything I feel real good about how FEW mistakes he has made. That could bode very well. On the other hand, the preseason is normally very basic plays, what will happen when the regualr season hits and the complex game plan has to be executed? Im a bit worried about that. We will just have to see. Another character trait that I like about him is that he gets pissed and trys even harder to get it right. Unlike another guy I know who played like crap against 3rd stringers and then proclaimed it was his team. I like JP's attitude where he takes blame and fixes it sooner rather than later. Example: last week they started slow, JP took some ownership and this week comes out firing. Its not just him for sure but Im only looking at him right now.

I guess I just feel like the questions we had have been non-issues. We were worried that he would look like a rookie and he doesnt to me at all. We were worried he would throw picks and he hasnt. We were worried that Gandy would be a turnstyle and JP would be blindsided for sacks, hasnt happened. Our worries are non-issues. Is he a guy that can blaze us into the plaoffs and play with the leagues best? we dont know yet. Can he handle complex schemes, live hot reads, and check downs, we dont know yet. The first 3 weeks will tell how the season will go. If he continues his solid play we are playoff bound. We are 2 and 0 so far after all, preseason or not our 1st string D and O is outplaying the opponents 1st string D and O.

X-Era
08-21-2005, 09:40 AM
He seems way to nervous in the pocket hopefully hes more settled come sept.11, the boy doesnt plant his feet, often leading to high passes and risk of int.
Disagree, high passes only lead to int's if there are defenders behind the target. The chances are a LOT less than underthrown passes, see Drew Bleedslow.

Planting your feet is a true criticism. Your more accurate when you plant and point with your lead foot. However, I havent had a big issue with accuracy so far, maybe its not a problem with him. Besides, if it was happy feet and no mobility Id say its a big problem. But when your QB has quick moves and happy feet he can be a threat to keep drives going if he doesnt force things and takes off.

Yes, I want happy feet fixed. Unless it changes his game and makes him more sack prone, then I say screw it do the polka for all I care but keep up the good work.

DynaPaul
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Disagree, high passes only lead to int's if there are defenders behind the target. The chances are a LOT less than underthrown passes, see Drew Bleedslow.

Planting your feet is a true criticism. Your more accurate when you plant and point with your lead foot. However, I havent had a big issue with accuracy so far, maybe its not a problem with him. Besides, if it was happy feet and no mobility Id say its a big problem. But when your QB has quick moves and happy feet he can be a threat to keep drives going if he doesnt force things and takes off.

Yes, I want happy feet fixed. Unless it changes his game and makes him more sack prone, then I say screw it do the polka for all I care but keep up the good work.

Losman not planting his feet was one of the negative marks against him during the draft and helped lead to him being drafted a little lower. I don't get it though. Being able to throw on the run is a positive trait, not a negative one.

1000 zonebucks says JP has a better career than the overhyped, non-leader Eli Manning.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Losman not planting his feet was one of the negative marks against him during the draft and helped lead to him being drafted a little lower. I don't get it though. Being able to throw on the run is a positive trait, not a negative one.

1000 zonebucks says JP has a better career than the overhyped, non-leader Eli Manning.

I think he will too, but can I hold you to that?

DynaPaul
08-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I think he will too, but can I hold you to that?

Sure.

sba
08-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm not really encouraged so far.

We have yet to see the kid make a play downfield. He's way too jittery in the pocket and wants to run too much. He needs to stay in the pocket and let plays develop better instead of taking 2 seconds and trying to run.

I'm sure this will all come with time, but as of right now, I'm not encouraged that he's going to get us over .500.

I want him to be McNabb, not Vick, and right now he's a lot more Vick.

Jan Reimers
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
JP is a bigger, badder, better-armed version of Flutie. And that's a VERY good thing.

sba
08-22-2005, 06:48 PM
JP is a bigger, badder, better-armed version of Flutie. And that's a VERY good thing.
So he's a gimmick QB that will be in the CFL in 2 years? :(

TigerJ
08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm happy. Careful about generalizing. People are all over the map on Losman as they generally are about any QB that is somewhere between league MVP and Ryan Leaf.

I like Losman's athleticism. To me he doesn't look like a nervous rookie (I know he's not a rookie). I did expect there would be some bad plays based on errors in judgement,errant throws etc., and Losman has not disappointed me, but if anything they are fewer than I expected. If Losman progresses as he should, I think the Bills will win enough games in the first half of the season not to be out of the playoff hunt, and then they could be a very dangerous team in the second half of the season, even with a tough schedule.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm not exactly sure that I know who you are refering to: I think that the vast majority of Bills fans are very happy with what they have seen from JP thus far. I know that I am.

However, as has been pointed out, there are still areas where he has yet to be tested and parts of his game that need to be improved upon. Pointing that out at this stage should not be taken as downgrading him, "ragging on" him or being overly critical. He has been very impressive thus far--he looks like "the real deal"--but he isn't ready to lead the Bills to a SB win just yet.

To say that JP doesn't look entirely calm and composed in the pocket yet doesn't mean that he never will be, it is just pointing out what has been observed and noting it. The calm and composure will come with experience and as he relaxes because he is more comfortable. The fact that he has been able to play as well as he has, even though he hasn't been cool, calm and collected at all times out there yet, is a testament to JP's talent and the promise that he has to be even better in the future. He's not Steve Young or Fran Tarkenton or even Doug Flutie yet, but I think that most of us are pretty excited by seeing that, with experience, he just might become that good.
As for the criticisms leveled at those who have commented about JP still having "happy feet": I have to question whether those who are making those criticisms really know the game of football or have ever played it competitively. The people who are commenting about JP having "happy feet" are not implying that JP should stand around like a statue, like Bledsoe, or even stay in the pocket, like Manning or Brady: what I (and they) are refering to is JP moving his feet properly so that he can step into the throw when he releases a pass. As any football coach or QB will tell you, no matter how strong a player's arm his or how accurately he can throw the ball, he will be able to throw it harder, farther and more accurately if he "sets" his feet so that he can step into the throw as he makes it. It doesn't matter if he is running, bouncing on his toes, or standing still, it's about maximizing the power that comes from shifting the body's weight and directing it in the direction that the ball is supposed to go--and doing it at the precise time needed to get the ball to the correct receiver as the receiver comes open and before the defender can react. A lot of QBs come into the NFL with strong arms, who can throw the ball accurately, who can run fast and scramble effectively, or who are very smart in making their reads. Only a few of them can put all of those things together. For a lot of QBs who have strong arms and can run, especially the young, inexperienced ones, the problem is that, in college, the never really had to learn to "set" their feet because their athletic talent was sufficient enough to allow them to get away with making technical mistakes in delivering the ball that the speed of the NFL will not allow them to get away with unpunished. Michael Vick and El Roberson are two QBs who have come into the NFL recently who are better runners and have stronger arms than Donovan McNabb. But, McNabb was and is much better at setting his feet when passing that either one of them and, as a result, while Vick is still in the NFL, he is still learning how to properly deliver the ball and has been very inconsistent as a passer and Roberson never made it. As good as JP has been so far, the fact is that he has not been setting his feet properly on a lot of his passing attempts--he was much better against GB than he was against Indy. This is an area that he still needs to improve on if he is to become the QB that he has the talent and is capable of being. Pointing that out doesn't mean that he stinks. It just means that he needs to improve in this area because, ultimately, it will cost him on the NFL level if he doesn't.

Now, the comments that have been made about what areas JP needs to improve on may seem like needless nit-picking to some, but those who have watched or played the game for a lot of years know that the difference between winning and losing, between being good and great, in the NFL is very small and that it is very often the little things that make the difference. JP has shown that he has a lot of talent and he has been very impressive so far, but he is still inexperienced and can improve his game. And, I don't just want him to be good or one game better than Bledsoe--which I think he will be this season--I want him to become good enough to lead the Bills to a Super Boqwl championship!

To do that, JP is going to have to continue to improve and be better than he has been so far. And, I have a lot of confidence that he will. Why? Because even more impressive than his athleticism and playmaking ability to me has been his determination and ability to improve. What struck me most about his performance in the GB game was how much he had improved in the little things over the week before and how much he improved as the game went on. With the way that he has improved already and the way that he has gone about improving, I have a lot of confidence that, even if he makes a lot of mistakes in a game and appears to take a step backwards one week, he will continue to improve and get better overall. While I am not ready to proclaim JP as the next Steve Young, Joe Montana or Fran Tarkenton just yet, I think that he has shown that he has that kind of raw talent--which not a lot of QBs have--and has the potential to get to that level if he continues to improve on those areas of his game where he obviously needs to get better. Pointing out those areas doesn't mean that he won't get there or doesn't have the talent to do so, but just that he isn't there yet and still has a way to go.

X-Era
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm not exactly sure that I know who you are refering to: I think that the vast majority of Bills fans are very happy with what they have seen from JP thus far. I know that I am.

However, as has been pointed out, there are still areas where he has yet to be tested and parts of his game that need to be improved upon. Pointing that out at this stage should not be taken as downgrading him, "ragging on" him or being overly critical. He has been very impressive thus far--he looks like "the real deal"--but he isn't ready to lead the Bills to a SB win just yet.

To say that JP doesn't look entirely calm and composed in the pocket yet doesn't mean that he never will be, it is just pointing out what has been observed and noting it. The calm and composure will come with experience and as he relaxes because he is more comfortable. The fact that he has been able to play as well as he has, even though he hasn't been cool, calm and collected at all times out there yet, is a testament to JP's talent and the promise that he has to be even better in the future. He's not Steve Young or Fran Tarkenton or even Doug Flutie yet, but I think that most of us are pretty excited by seeing that, with experience, he just might become that good.
As for the criticisms leveled at those who have commented about JP still having "happy feet": I have to question whether those who are making those criticisms really know the game of football or have ever played it competitively. The people who are commenting about JP having "happy feet" are not implying that JP should stand around like a statue, like Bledsoe, or even stay in the pocket, like Manning or Brady: what I (and they) are refering to is JP moving his feet properly so that he can step into the throw when he releases a pass. As any football coach or QB will tell you, no matter how strong a player's arm his or how accurately he can throw the ball, he will be able to throw it harder, farther and more accurately if he "sets" his feet so that he can step into the throw as he makes it. It doesn't matter if he is running, bouncing on his toes, or standing still, it's about maximizing the power that comes from shifting the body's weight and directing it in the direction that the ball is supposed to go--and doing it at the precise time needed to get the ball to the correct receiver as the receiver comes open and before the defender can react. A lot of QBs come into the NFL with strong arms, who can throw the ball accurately, who can run fast and scramble effectively, or who are very smart in making their reads. Only a few of them can put all of those things together. For a lot of QBs who have strong arms and can run, especially the young, inexperienced ones, the problem is that, in college, the never really had to learn to "set" their feet because their athletic talent was sufficient enough to allow them to get away with making technical mistakes in delivering the ball that the speed of the NFL will not allow them to get away with unpunished. Michael Vick and El Roberson are two QBs who have come into the NFL recently who are better runners and have stronger arms than Donovan McNabb. But, McNabb was and is much better at setting his feet when passing that either one of them and, as a result, while Vick is still in the NFL, he is still learning how to properly deliver the ball and has been very inconsistent as a passer and Roberson never made it. As good as JP has been so far, the fact is that he has not been setting his feet properly on a lot of his passing attempts--he was much better against GB than he was against Indy. This is an area that he still needs to improve on if he is to become the QB that he has the talent and is capable of being. Pointing that out doesn't mean that he stinks. It just means that he needs to improve in this area because, ultimately, it will cost him on the NFL level if he doesn't.

Now, the comments that have been made about what areas JP needs to improve on may seem like needless nit-picking to some, but those who have watched or played the game for a lot of years know that the difference between winning and losing, between being good and great, in the NFL is very small and that it is very often the little things that make the difference. JP has shown that he has a lot of talent and he has been very impressive so far, but he is still inexperienced and can improve his game. And, I don't just want him to be good or one game better than Bledsoe--which I think he will be this season--I want him to become good enough to lead the Bills to a Super Boqwl championship!

To do that, JP is going to have to continue to improve and be better than he has been so far. And, I have a lot of confidence that he will. Why? Because even more impressive than his athleticism and playmaking ability to me has been his determination and ability to improve. What struck me most about his performance in the GB game was how much he had improved in the little things over the week before and how much he improved as the game went on. With the way that he has improved already and the way that he has gone about improving, I have a lot of confidence that, even if he makes a lot of mistakes in a game and appears to take a step backwards one week, he will continue to improve and get better overall. While I am not ready to proclaim JP as the next Steve Young, Joe Montana or Fran Tarkenton just yet, I think that he has shown that he has that kind of raw talent--which not a lot of QBs have--and has the potential to get to that level if he continues to improve on those areas of his game where he obviously needs to get better. Pointing out those areas doesn't mean that he won't get there or doesn't have the talent to do so, but just that he isn't there yet and still has a way to go.
1) You clearly didnt read my post. Argue that JP's accuracy is off because of his happy feet. I cant do it. I have watched him and he has great accuracy, hell much better than many QB's that step into there throws. And yes it is possible for him to be a pro-bowler WITH happy feet. Do I want it fixed, yes. Does it HAVE to be? Im not so sure.

2) You want JP to be a SB winner. Me to, but even remotely thinking or much worse expecting that in year one is ridiculous. My point is that he only needs to win one more game than Drew last year and we are in the playoffs. If we get in, who knows what happens. Defense wins playoff games, so we could get into the SB with our D not Losman.

3) Of course JP isnt perfect yet. My problem is with the notion that he isnt good enough. Thats crap! JP is better right now today than any of the QB's taken in draft in the past 2 years except for Roth. Thats saying ALOT. Furthermore, he is better than 50% of the starting QB's and most importantly Drew!!!! Thats all we need at this point. So people should just be patient, give him time, and enjoy watching him play. I know that I do!

Konyeezie
08-23-2005, 09:52 PM
You kidding me? Manning is a choker.

I don't want JP emulating that guy :D