PDA

View Full Version : I guess it IS true

chernobylwraiths
08-21-2005, 08:13 AM
In the NHL free-agent marketplace, the Buffalo Sabres haven't been competing only with the other 29 clubs. They've also been forced to contend with ghosts from their past.

Although some dismiss the possibility, many Sabres are convinced they're paying the price for all those disgruntled players who have left amid unpleasant circumstances in recent years.

Former and current Sabres as well as some agents have told The Buffalo News that a group of influential players, over time, has spread word around the league: Don't play for the Sabres. Most who spoke to The News for this story declined to be quoted.

Players on the roster are restless because - after the top goal scorer and best defenseman walked - the team has made just one new acquisition since the lockout ended last month, and the Sabres probably overpaid for defenseman Teppo Numminen. He signed for $2 million, while the Dallas Stars and Phoenix Coyotes reportedly were offering half that.

link (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050821/1047009.asp)

I wonder what the spin on this will be.

Typ0
08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
I know the players HATED Satan and the club let him walk...

Turf
08-21-2005, 09:33 AM

That's the first I've heard of that. What do you know that from?

Typ0
08-21-2005, 10:38 AM
just the attitude from the team over the years in the media...but of course they don't just come out and say those things. I think everyone just didn't like his work ethic. I think he had a high and mighty attitude in practice and the other players didn't appreciate it.

camelcowboy
08-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I can name tons of players who left on bad terms.

Matt Barnaby, Peca, Audette, Sanderson, the rest of the league looks at us as cheap, and our offence system ruinis goal scorers.

chernobylwraiths
08-21-2005, 10:43 AM

I know some of the Sabres hated Hasek too because of what he did (or the perception of what he did) to Nolan. A few players will always have a problem with how they are treated, but the Sabres seem to have much more than their fair share, and maybe with good reason.

I am the most surprised the how Andreychuk felt and I sympathize with him. Here is a guy who in a very limited role scored more goals than most of the guys on the team, yet his icetime was continually cut and he was a healthy scratch. He scored 20 goals and only two players scored more goals for the Sabres that year.

SkateZilla
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Briere and Drury Both Sat down and Had a Lil COnference with him (Satan) when they were captains...

BuffaloRanger
08-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Then trade your star. Don't let him walk for nothing.

After another non-playoff year maybe TG will clean house. Fire Darcy and Ruff (too bad Quinn is his boy or he'd be gone too) and bring in some management that players won't blackball.

Briere to Numinem: "I can think of 2 million reason why you should come here!"